• Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Soccer/Football/Futbol/Whatever in general The round ball game

#761 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 02 May 2019 - 07:41 AM

The fans. The music fans are the real assholes.

#762 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 02 May 2019 - 12:20 PM

Is this the right thread Apt?
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#763 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 03 May 2019 - 12:43 PM

I've honestly never rated Pogba. He doesn't do enough, his attitude stinks and has no consistency. I would take Hendo ahead of him purely for his commitment alone. Jimmy Milner too. A fit Lallana is as good.
Martial and Rashford (maybe Rashford in the future) wouldn't stand a chance of replacing any of our front three.

#764 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 07 May 2019 - 04:02 AM

Watched the documentary The Impossible Dream. Released to coincide with the 20 yr. anniversary of the Man U 1998/1999 'treble' season. When, over 10 days in May 1999, Man U won the Premier League, The FA Cup and The Champions League. Man U fans must have been incorrigible during that time.

Damn though, Paul Scholes was a carrot firecracker buzzing all over the pitch, OGS looks so young and would come off the bench and score, and the goalie, Peter Schmeichel, was a nutter. And that forward combo of Andy Cole & Dwight Yorke was formidable. Oh, yeah, I'm not forgettin', but everyone knows 'Becks'. Posted Image He could place some precision balls right were they needed to be though, couldn't he.

Damn, 20 years ago. Any you oldster 'hooligunts' have memories from this era? Attend any of the matches or were fervently rooting for (or against) Man U during this historic accomplishment?

#765 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

Posted 07 May 2019 - 05:00 AM

Dang I was still quite young in 99 - I must have been 14, so middle of secondary school - but I remember it alright. That night we beat Bayern Munich was mental. Those two goals in injury time had me screaming and I'm fairly sure I woke my younger brothers up haha.

I think that was also the season that Giggs scored an utterly insane goal against Arsenal in the FA Cup semi final...
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#766 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 07 May 2019 - 05:04 AM

Yeah, the documentary shows all the best highlights. That goal by Giggs, he just sliced and diced through the Arsenal defense.

#767 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 07 May 2019 - 08:35 AM

Yeah, I remember reading about it all the next day because THEY WEREN'T SHOWN DOWN HERE! :apt2:
"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"Well well well ... if it ain't The Invisible C**t." - Billy Butcher, The Boys

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#768 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

Posted 07 May 2019 - 09:39 AM

Didn't you guys only get internet about 3 years ago? Not surprised you didn't get a European football game back in the 90's.

Either that or the people operating the equipment to get the game to you probably got attacked by a venomous octopus or something...
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#769 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 07 May 2019 - 11:51 AM

Unfortunately I can remember the 90s. The internet was ... not great. Not that there was streaming anyway.
Plus we had to rely on the very whimsical programming choices at SBS. Special Broadcasting Service, basically the second govt TV channel after the ABC, catering to ethnic backgrounds. Hence they had the soccer. Pretty much the Dark Ages.

Could have been worse though - at least I didn't have to leave school at 8 to work down t'pit.

:apt2:

This post has been edited by Tsundoku: 07 May 2019 - 12:00 PM

"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#770 User is offline   Gorefest 

• Witness

Posted 07 May 2019 - 03:46 PM

View PostTsundoku, on 07 May 2019 - 11:51 AM, said:

Could have been worse though - at least I didn't have to leave school at 8 to work down t'pit.

You didn't? Why, I used to DREAM about not having to leave school at 8 to work down t'pit! I used to not have to get out of school at 3am, not clean t'pit, not eat a handful of hot gravel, then definitely not go to work for tuppence a month, and when I didn't get home my dad would never beat me around the head with a broken bottle, if I was lucky.
Yesterday, upon the stair, I saw a man who wasn't there. He wasn't there again today. Oh, how I wish he'd go away.

#771 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 07 May 2019 - 08:07 PM

Luxury!

#772 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 07 May 2019 - 09:42 PM

What a showing of fortitude by Liverpool. That 4th goal was cheeky though.

#773 User is offline   Gorefest 

• Witness

Posted 07 May 2019 - 09:59 PM

Absolutely phenomenal result.
Yesterday, upon the stair, I saw a man who wasn't there. He wasn't there again today. Oh, how I wish he'd go away.

#774 User is offline   Gorefest 

• Witness

Posted 07 May 2019 - 10:00 PM

Really hoping for a Liverpool-Ajax final now. Dont even care who wins that one, it would just be magic.

#775 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits

Posted 07 May 2019 - 10:08 PM

THIS IS ANFIELD IN EUROPE!!!!
by fuck
By fuck

This is the glory of knockout comps. And never rule out Anfield

#776 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits

Posted 07 May 2019 - 10:09 PM

And, be honest, is there a more feared stadium in England on the European stage
Not twisting, just asking, people are scared of Anfield

#777 User is offline   Gorefest 

• Witness

Posted 07 May 2019 - 10:57 PM

Well, they have a point. A stadium full of scousers.

#778 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

Posted 08 May 2019 - 07:54 AM

View PostGorefest, on 07 May 2019 - 10:57 PM, said:

Well, they have a point. A stadium full of scousers.

Yeah you're just asking to be mugged...
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#779 User is offline   Zuzu Bolin 

• Corporal

Posted 08 May 2019 - 12:45 PM

View PostMalankazooie, on 07 May 2019 - 04:02 AM, said:

Watched the documentary The Impossible Dream. Released to coincide with the 20 yr. anniversary of the Man U 1998/1999 'treble' season. When, over 10 days in May 1999, Man U won the Premier League, The FA Cup and The Champions League. Man U fans must have been incorrigible during that time.

Damn though, Paul Scholes was a carrot firecracker buzzing all over the pitch, OGS looks so young and would come off the bench and score, and the goalie, Peter Schmeichel, was a nutter. And that forward combo of Andy Cole & Dwight Yorke was formidable. Oh, yeah, I'm not forgettin', but everyone knows 'Becks'. Posted Image He could place some precision balls right were they needed to be though, couldn't he.

Damn, 20 years ago. Any you oldster 'hooligunts' have memories from this era? Attend any of the matches or were fervently rooting for (or against) Man U during this historic accomplishment?

I'm so old this is after my time. I first went to Old Trafford in 1975 and was a regular, a hard core one at that (home and away) between say '86 and '94. Lost interest once we'd won the title, the standing areas went and the prawn sandwich brigade moved in.

#780 User is offline   Gorefest 

• Witness

Posted 08 May 2019 - 08:03 PM

View PostGorefest, on 17 April 2019 - 08:23 AM, said:

View PostGorefest, on 14 March 2019 - 08:51 AM, said:

Ajax!

Ajax!

Ajax!

Don't even have to wait until fulltime, one half in and it's done and dusted.

Share this topic:

• 84 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users