• 21 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Star Trek Discovery Predictions on the new series

#41 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 18 May 2017 - 01:41 AM

View Postworry, on 17 May 2017 - 11:03 PM, said:

Yah, kind of a turkey of a trailer, but we'll see, we'll see. One thing though is that it was always a dumb idea to make it pre-Kirk. That's just so limiting for no reason, and frankly kinda chicken.

Agreed. That said th cast is good enough to possibly pull out a win.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#42 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 18 May 2017 - 10:31 AM

View PostBriar King, on 18 May 2017 - 02:50 AM, said:

Michelle Yoeh is fucking awesome. It ll be cool to see if they utilize her fighting ability in this since they are going with Klingons. I haven't seen the trailer since it's taken down now. Maybe they showed her doing some moves in it?

Nope, no action Yeoh moves. But yeah, she's awesome!
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#43 User is offline   Cause 

• Elder God
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 18 May 2017 - 02:02 PM

Looks completely off. The pre kirk thing was always going to be a problem.

Special effects have advanced so much, as has our idea of what future tech should look like. Hence the ship looks more advanced.

#44 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 18 May 2017 - 05:20 PM

As a fair Star Trek fan (but not a die-hard), I'm willing to suspend some things for a new show...but this just doesn't FEEL like a Star Trek show to me.

Can we also talk about there big Elephant/continuity element in the room that's not even the tech level?

The Delta Insignia.

Prior to the END of Kirk's first 5-year mission (so 15 years AFTER DISCOVERY takes place)...Starfleet ship uniforms all had their own personal insignias....the now well-known Delta Insignia was the Enterprise crews personal Insignia...which was adopted by Starfleet after Kirk's 5-year mission.

So how it is on everyones uniforms here, on a totally different ship a decade before Kirk even leaves space dock on his 5-year mission...is something that REALLY sticks in my craw.

ENTERPRISE was aware of this fact and that's why the uniforms on that show didn't use the Delta.

#45 User is offline   Salt-Man Z 

• My pen halts, though I do not
  • View gallery

Posted 18 May 2017 - 09:09 PM

Yeah, the Enterprise insignia showing up was the first thing that I noticed too, and it immediately took me out of the whole thing. I guess I'm pretty middling for a Trek nerd nowadays (didn't watch most of DS9, couldn't get past the 2nd season of ENT--though I was a huge TOS/movie/Pocket Books fan back in the day) but I have zero interest in (a) yet another frigging prequel series that (b) I have to subscribe to a new streaming service just to watch. Never mind that this trailer makes it look dull and way too Abramsversy.

This post has been edited by Salt-Man Z: 18 May 2017 - 09:10 PM

"Here is light. You will say that it is not a living entity, but you miss the point that it is more, not less. Without occupying space, it fills the universe. It nourishes everything, yet itself feeds upon destruction. We claim to control it, but does it not perhaps cultivate us as a source of food? May it not be that all wood grows so that it can be set ablaze, and that men and women are born to kindle fires?"
―Gene Wolfe, The Citadel of the Autarch

#46 User is offline   Silencer 

• Manipulating Special Data
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Malazan Book of the Fallen series.
    Computer Game Design.
    Programming.

Posted 21 May 2017 - 06:31 AM

You know, I've got one friend who is absolutely excited about this. Every other comment I've read is bashing it.

Frankly, I didn't care either way. It was less than interesting to me because I just assumed it would be like the new movies but on TV - not that the new movies are bad, but they aren't really series material.

Then I went and watched this trailer on YouTube.

OK, average trailer.

Then I read the comments on the trailer. Huge mistake.

90% of the people bashing this, are making comments like "oh yah, another feminist lead", "who wants to bet she's a lesbian, too?", "the SJW's have ruined this!, "Why can't we see any white male leads any more?", and a myriad of other complaints along those lines.

Just because of that, I hope this show succeeds like nothing else Trek ever could have even dreamed of. Clearly, these people all missed the damn memo that the Federation was the biggest proponent of gender equality ever made (actual portrayal in TOS not withstanding). Never mind that for a group of people who likes to call others snowflakes, they seem to have a real hard time accepting things that aren't exactly the way they want it.

Fucking hell. Never read the comments.

/rant

Shinrei said:

<Vote Silencer> For not garnering any heat or any love for that matter. And I'm being serious here, it's like a mental block that is there, and you just keep forgetting it.

#47 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 21 May 2017 - 07:20 PM

I despise the fact that they're doing another prequel series. Everything surrounding the production suggests that it will be a mess.
...but yeah, I want to see it succeed just to fuck with everyone pissed about the lead being a vis min woman.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#48 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 21 May 2017 - 07:31 PM

How do you watch Star Trek at all and come to the conclusion that "SJW"s are the antithesis?
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#49 User is offline   Silencer 

• Manipulating Special Data
  • Interests:Malazan Book of the Fallen series.
    Computer Game Design.
    Programming.

Posted 22 May 2017 - 06:40 AM

View Postworry, on 21 May 2017 - 07:31 PM, said:

How do you watch Star Trek at all and come to the conclusion that "SJW"s are the antithesis?

Presumably only by ever watching TOS and ignoring anything that is said about the Federation or Star Fleet and focus instead exclusively on Cpt. Kirk's womanising? I dunno.

Shinrei said:

<Vote Silencer> For not garnering any heat or any love for that matter. And I'm being serious here, it's like a mental block that is there, and you just keep forgetting it.

#50 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 19 June 2017 - 04:20 PM

Premier date set for Sept 24th....for the first half of the season....and January 2018 for the second half.

You get that? So not only does the USA have to pay to access this show...but they don't even get the whole season out of the gate in the fall like a Netflix show. They have a preordained "break" in the middle.

You know why that is?

To keep subscribers on the hook into the new year and push their revenue to make All Access look good in front of the Shareholders for Q1 2018. This means they FULLY expect people to sign up for ST, and quit the minute it's over.

Ugh.

Since I have to watch this on Space (because of a deal with Canadian THIEVES Bell Canada; instead of my preferred Netflix), it doesn't affect me much...but I can imagine the backlash to this in the States will be sizeable.

Also, one of the show runners talked about how they want to bring the Movies and TV show closer together in scope and execution and such...putting another nail in the OBVIOUS coffin that is the whole "No guys, this is the PRIME universe! For real!" (proceeds to craft show that looks and seems like it's DEFINITELY in the Kelvin Universe). This isn't the Prime Universe guys. I think we may need to accept that sadly.

This post has been edited by QuickTidal: 19 June 2017 - 04:29 PM

#51 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 19 June 2017 - 04:42 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 19 June 2017 - 04:20 PM, said:

Premier date set for Sept 24th....for the first half of the season....and January 2018 for the second half.

You get that? So not only does the USA have to pay to access this show...but they don't even get the whole season out of the gate in the fall like a Netflix show. They have a preordained "break" in the middle.

You know why that is?

To keep subscribers on the hook into the new year and push their revenue. This means they FULLY expect people to sign up for ST, and quit the minute it's over.

Ugh.

Corporations gonna corporate.

Since I have to watch this on Space (because of a deal with Canadian THIEVES Bell Canada; instead of my preferred Netflix), it doesn't affect me much...but I can imagine the backlash to this in the States will be sizeable.

Curious: you're ok w getting it as part of your moderately overpriced cable package (btw, switch to Rogers, they'll gut Bell to sign you), or wish you had to sign up for CBS' streaming thingy?
Sure, most people expected/wanted it to be on CBS' normal channel, but that ship has detonated until the reruns or the whole scheme tanks massively. Which is possible, and possibly likely.

Moi, i'll be content to set the DVR and ff the commercials. Sure, i prefer Netflix, but why wait when i already pay for the channel.

I see some people losing their minds over this CBS streaming Trek thing and am reminded all the people losing their minds back when GoT launched on HBO who eventually signed up because GoT turned out to be awesome.
There's nothing stopping anyone from cancelling their subscription in between half-seasons or just waiting until the whole season is available blasting thru and cancelling within one month.

Also, one of the show runners talked about how they want to bring the Movies and TV show closer together in scope and execution and such...putting another nail in the OBVIOUS coffin that is the whole "No guys, this is the PRIME universe! For real!" (proceeds to craft show that looks and seems like it's DEFINITELY in the Kelvin Universe). This isn't the Prime Universe guys. I think we may need to accept that sadly.

The last product from the 'prime universe' was Enterprise which ended in 2005. So yeah.
I know it's Trek, i know there is a level of loyalty beyond reason or logic, i know, i know, but geez, it's been twelve years and three kelvinverse movies... assimilation has happened, resistance is futile.

At this point i can't quite decide whether i want to see this be an awesome show and succeed because well, hey, awesome Trek show would be awesome, or tank massively to stab CBS right in the greed.

#52 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 19 June 2017 - 07:20 PM

View PostAbyss, on 19 June 2017 - 04:42 PM, said:

Curious: you're ok w getting it as part of your moderately overpriced cable package (btw, switch to Rogers, they'll gut Bell to sign you), or wish you had to sign up for CBS' streaming thingy?

I'm not bothered for me. I'm bothered by all the USA people who don't get it on TV like I do, or on Netflix like everyone else. It feels like biting the hand that feeds.

I also don't like how clear it is that this was done to appease shareholders in a first quarter of next year instead of making it worthwhile for people to sign up and get it all at once. I'm sure they are scared that everyone signs up, watches, bails....but that's the chance you take. If you offer enough good content, ppl will stay.

HBO has a whole slew of subscribers who only sign up while their show is on, and bail when it's not. They accept that. Others are happy to view all HBO content and stick with them.

You don't earn a customer base for your New Streaming ServiceTM by screwing them out of half the season up front because you want to be able to look shiny to the suits come January 2018.

#53 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 19 June 2017 - 07:37 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 19 June 2017 - 07:20 PM, said:

You don't earn a customer base for your New Streaming ServiceTM by screwing them out of half the season up front because you want to be able to look shiny to the suits come January 2018.

You might if enough of them are lazy enough to stay subscribed. They know retention is going to be an issue, so someone has crunched those numbers, rightly or wrongly.

Where that will work or fail depends on how well received the show is and how much eyeballs it generates. Of course there will be an initial boost/buzz for the first ep, and they're hoping that the premiere on network tv will send new subscribers flocking to streaming.

However dire the show may be, there is going to be an enormous initial boost of eyeballs and adverdollars. Someone thinks that will be enough even after the inevitable ep 2/3 drop and then subscribers bailing between half-seasons and again when it's done and the influx of marathoners have come and gone as well.

Likely they just figure the same boost every year for Trek will be enough. FFS, Enterprise ran four seasons. Four years of this would be gold as far as CBS is concerned.

#54 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 19 June 2017 - 08:34 PM

I guess I don't blame them. People are "cutting the cord", it's just a fact that networks have to deal with. I suppose it's distasteful that broadcast networks are doing subscription models instead of the CW way, w/ free app and commercial breaks intact. People aren't leaving cable because of the commercials, it's because cable packages are awful wastes of money.

Also if they gave up the ghost and said this officially wasn't the prime continuity, I'd actually feel better about it.

#55 User is offline   Whisperzzzzzzz 

• Reaper's Fail

Posted 19 June 2017 - 08:54 PM

They should just distribute all their content as torrents and accept voluntary donations.

#56 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 19 June 2017 - 09:39 PM

Yah right.

#57 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 20 June 2017 - 09:28 AM

Attached File  Screenshot_2017-06-20-10-27-12.png (238.35K)
Number of downloads: 0

I'll just leave this here, we'll return to it in september

#58 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 20 June 2017 - 12:14 PM

View Postworry, on 19 June 2017 - 08:34 PM, said:

Also if they gave up the ghost and said this officially wasn't the prime continuity, I'd actually feel better about it.

Indeed. I'd feel MUCH better about it.

That they keep insisting it is in Prime when all the evidence (and large canon inconsistencies) points to the contrary, is a big part of my annoyance with the production.

But I'll also add that since this shot in my city, and those I know in the industry have said it's a total unmitigated mess from a crew standpoint, I'm not thinking it's going to be very good.

Only time will tell.

#59 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 20 June 2017 - 01:16 PM

What's the difference better prime time line and the other?

Was there a split reality in one of the series or what is the story?

I have watched the new films, some random kirk/Packard stuff one or two ds9 and the first few episodes of enterprise.

#60 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 20 June 2017 - 02:04 PM

View PostMacros, on 20 June 2017 - 01:16 PM, said:

What's the difference better prime time line and the other?

Better hair.

Share this topic:

• 21 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users