• You cannot reply to this topic

Star Trek Discovery Predictions on the new series

#81 User is offline   Salt-Man Z 

• My pen halts, though I do not
  • View gallery
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 13 September 2017 - 03:30 PM

View PostMalankazooie, on 13 September 2017 - 02:53 PM, said:

Too bad it's on something called CBS All Access, whatever that is. Maybe the main CBS parent channel will show an episode or two at odd times/hours ? One can hope because I would at least like to get a feel for whether this show is any good or not.

Well, the premiere will air on the CBS broadcast station. After that it'll be relegated to All Access, though. Between that and it being Yet Another GD Prequel, I'm not sure I can even drum up enough interest to check it out.
"Here is light. You will say that it is not a living entity, but you miss the point that it is more, not less. Without occupying space, it fills the universe. It nourishes everything, yet itself feeds upon destruction. We claim to control it, but does it not perhaps cultivate us as a source of food? May it not be that all wood grows so that it can be set ablaze, and that men and women are born to kindle fires?"
―Gene Wolfe, The Citadel of the Autarch

#82 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 13 September 2017 - 04:33 PM

View PostSalt-Man Z, on 13 September 2017 - 03:30 PM, said:

View PostMalankazooie, on 13 September 2017 - 02:53 PM, said:

Too bad it's on something called CBS All Access, whatever that is. Maybe the main CBS parent channel will show an episode or two at odd times/hours ? One can hope because I would at least like to get a feel for whether this show is any good or not.

Well, the premiere will air on the CBS broadcast station. After that it'll be relegated to All Access, though. Between that and it being Yet Another GD Prequel, I'm not sure I can even drum up enough interest to check it out.

I have similar feelings and in no way am I thinking it's going to be excellent or anything. I just was curious to see how they kick it off and where the next few episodes go from there, because I'm sure those have the "hook" to keep the audience interested or at least make the attempt to keep them on board.

This post has been edited by Malankazooie: 13 September 2017 - 04:35 PM

#83 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 24 September 2017 - 03:01 PM

So, I see the debut episode airs tonight on the main CBS broadcast channel, so it should be widely available to everyone. So any of you guys going to give it a go? It can't hurt to just see if it might be any good or not. I dunno, I think I'm gonna watch it, if it sucks then I don't have to watch any more if I don't want to, you know.

#84 User is offline   acesn8s 

• Soletaken
  • Interests:Reading, video games, role playing games, Fountain Pens, journals...

Posted 24 September 2017 - 06:31 PM

I'll probably record it and check it out later.
“The others followed, and found themselves in a small, stuffy basement, which would have been damp, smelly, close, and dark, were it not, in fact, well-lit, which prevented it from being dark.”
― Steven Brust, The Phoenix Guards

#85 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 24 September 2017 - 07:53 PM

View Postacesn8s, on 24 September 2017 - 06:31 PM, said:

I'll probably record it and check it out later.

Definitely going to record it. I'll probably leave it on my DVR and discover it months later when I'm cleaning up my DVR and be all like "oh shit, that, I forgot all about that, I guess I'll watch it now" lol.

#86 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 24 September 2017 - 08:04 PM

They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#87 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 24 September 2017 - 09:36 PM

I'm putting my money where my mouth is and we will be watching the premiere tonight so I can properly judge if it's going to be the dumpster fire I thought it would, or if I'm wrong. Will chime in later.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#88 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 24 September 2017 - 11:09 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 24 September 2017 - 09:36 PM, said:

I'm putting my money where my mouth is and we will be watching the premiere tonight so I can properly judge if it's going to be the dumpster fire I thought it would, or if I'm wrong. Will chime in later.

I at least give the premier episode of anything that piques my interest a watch. And depending on that, I will watch the next two or three to see if it gets its legs and pulls me in. If not, I'm out.

Now there are horrible shows like The Orville which only requires a view of the first episode for me to know I'm out. That show is maybe the worst thing I've watched this year and that includes the fact that I watched the movie Green Inferno.

#89 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 25 September 2017 - 01:17 AM

Holy shit! That beginning was totally badass! You guys know it too! Damn, now I think I want to watch additional episodes based on that alone. Dammit! this is on CBS All Access. What the ever loving fuck it that! And why the hell not can they not air this on the regular CBS channel!

#90 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 25 September 2017 - 01:35 AM

Uhhh... so was that the first contact with the Klingons????

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

#91 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 25 September 2017 - 02:08 AM

Lame, so they cut it short and now the rest can be watched on CBS All Access, whatever that is.

Anyway, it was pretty cool to be honest and I would have watched more. Oh well.

Voq Son of None. The color of his skin matters not.

#92 User is offline   acesn8s 

• Soletaken
  • Interests:Reading, video games, role playing games, Fountain Pens, journals...

Posted 25 September 2017 - 03:27 AM

My recording got interrupted by the previous show running late. If I can find episode 1 easily, I'll watch it.

I just watched season 2 of The Orville. The jokes are so forced its painful. I'm out.

Oh, and...

“The others followed, and found themselves in a small, stuffy basement, which would have been damp, smelly, close, and dark, were it not, in fact, well-lit, which prevented it from being dark.”
― Steven Brust, The Phoenix Guards

#93 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 25 September 2017 - 07:20 AM

I thought it was pretty good. I mean I only saw episode 1, but the cliffhanger was pretty effective. I wanna find out what happens next for sure. The planet-side and spacewalk stuff was impressively cinematic. Michael is a pretty interesting character concept, though I'm not sure the actual character is interesting yet. Lt. Saru confirms that Enemy Mine takes place in the Star Trek universe.

I still don't expect CBS All Access to survive. Seeso has already decided to pull the plug by end of year, and it was only $3.99/mo for generally better content. I guess best case, CBS AA dies but STD (wow, great abbreviation for this one) is good enough to transfer over to the network after that.
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#94 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 25 September 2017 - 11:41 AM

I hope so. I definitely want to watch more now.

#95 User is offline   Catherine 

• Lieutenant
  • Interests:SCA<br />International Side-saddle Association<br />good books<br />the Space Channe<br />Arabian horses

Posted 25 September 2017 - 11:47 AM

luckily Space Channel in the great white north aired episode 1 and 2, have dvr'd them, also both being repeated several times this week

#96 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 25 September 2017 - 01:23 PM

Guess I'll be the voice of moderate dissent thus far.

Things I didn't like:

I thought the opening titles and music were...not great and very un-Star Trek.

I'm not fond of the new Klingon design...but I'd get over it if the leads were't buried under so much makeup that their dialogue sounds muffled under clay and slow.

I'm not sure what everyone else was watching but I found the dialogue CLUNKY as hell. I had hoped that was just something in the trailer, but almost every line out of Martin-Green's mouth was really on the nose, and her delivery was...stilted (to say the least)...now that I NEED to blame on the actual script since Martin-Green's work on TWD was always great. But yeah....blerg.

The whole "I'm going to walk this delta symbol about the size of a football field SO THE SHIP CAN SEE US FROM SPACE..."....suuuuuuure, that happens.

The costumes are even more stiff in person. They feel like they are way too restrictive.

Burnham going off on her own to investigate mysterious object she found while not tethered to the ship is ABOUT the most un-Federation thing I can imagine. I mean, I get why she did it...but cripes

Things I liked:

Saru. I've said it before and I'll say it again, Doug Jones is an UTTER treasure. In everything he's been in since HOCUS POCUS. He was actively my fave thing to watch on the screen.

The space scenes and planet scenes were VERY cinematic, which felt fresh and felt like I was watching one of the old Trek movies rather than the old Trek TV show. I think that's an upgrade I can get used to.

Haven't watched Ep 2 yet (it's on the PVR) as we switched to OUTLANDER after ep 1.

I'm...not impressed. But I will admit I CAN see potential there....so all is not lost.

I need the scripts to be WAY less fucking clunky though. That was tedious to get through.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#97 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 25 September 2017 - 04:20 PM

View PostHoney Cups, on 25 September 2017 - 03:54 PM, said:

Haven't gotten on it yet today but it was getting shot down by people on TF.N last night. Many said there was no way they were going to pay for All Access.

I think the fact that it's airing on Space here in Canada (AKA free with my cable subscription) and Netflix everywhere else on the planet...is (sadly, and I disagree with this on CBS's part) going to help it fly past the fact that a lot of Americans are boycotting All Access subscriptions.

I feel for you guys...as I heard they didn't even get to see the second hour of the pilot whereas the rest of us got both hours.

But yeah, I wonder if the numbers for the rest of the world will outweigh the American's who don't want All Access?

#98 User is offline   Serenity 

• Saki!!!!!

Posted 25 September 2017 - 04:23 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 25 September 2017 - 01:23 PM, said:

Glad I'm not the only one who disliked them - I'd go further: they were dreadful.

Other than that, I watched the first two episodes (on Netflix UK) and thought it was generally okay, had good moments and bad, as most pilots do. At least there were no space jellyfish this time. I'll stick with it.

#99 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 25 September 2017 - 04:33 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 25 September 2017 - 04:20 PM, said:

.... I wonder if the numbers for the rest of the world will outweigh the American's who don't want All Access?

CBS's scheme is likely to make mad globs of money selling the license to broadcast to channels and streamers outside of the US, thus to still make bank while taking a hit in the US to kickstart CBS All-Access.

Of course All-access is going to get a subscription boost as people sign up for Trek, lose a bunch once the 30 day freebie expires, and get a further boost when the season ends and the whole thing is streamable in the US.

And of course some intrepid cokehead network exec is going to point at these increases as proof of their genius and value and why they should not be disappeared.

But BCS is playing a little bit of a long game with STD... not years and years, but 2, probably 4, and we could see a shift of the show back to network if all-access fails utterly, but i would bet we see at least two seasons in this format.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#100 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 25 September 2017 - 04:51 PM

View PostSerenity, on 25 September 2017 - 04:23 PM, said:

View PostQuickTidal, on 25 September 2017 - 01:23 PM, said:

Glad I'm not the only one who disliked them - I'd go further: they were dreadful.

Yeah, and I mean I KIND of like adding in the original ST theme strains to the beginning and the end of the theme music, but the middle portion is quite bland, and as a result the whole thing falls apart.

And the opening sequence imagery itself...what is the point of the beige background, and the schematic (exploded) look of the "things" they showed? Space and planets and such should be front and centre in the opening and it's nowhere to be found. Instead we get what I can only describe as a Spec. Textbook which shows us how that space suits and phasers are constructed, and I'm like WTF is this nonsense?

Hey, at least it's not the ENTERPRISE opening with that lame ass song.

View PostAbyss, on 25 September 2017 - 04:33 PM, said:

View PostQuickTidal, on 25 September 2017 - 04:20 PM, said:

.... I wonder if the numbers for the rest of the world will outweigh the American's who don't want All Access?

CBS's scheme is likely to make mad globs of money selling the license to broadcast to channels and streamers outside of the US, thus to still make bank while taking a hit in the US to kickstart CBS All-Access.

Of course All-access is going to get a subscription boost as people sign up for Trek, lose a bunch once the 30 day freebie expires, and get a further boost when the season ends and the whole thing is streamable in the US.

And of course some intrepid cokehead network exec is going to point at these increases as proof of their genius and value and why they should not be disappeared.

But BCS is playing a little bit of a long game with STD... not years and years, but 2, probably 4, and we could see a shift of the show back to network if all-access fails utterly, but i would bet we see at least two seasons in this format.

^^This. Indeed.

Share this topic:

• 21 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users