• You cannot reply to this topic

Star Trek Discovery Predictions on the new series

#61 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 20 June 2017 - 02:05 PM

View PostMacros, on 20 June 2017 - 01:16 PM, said:

What's the difference better prime time line and the other?

Was there a split reality in one of the series or what is the story?

I have watched the new films, some random kirk/Packard stuff one or two ds9 and the first few episodes of enterprise.

THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#62 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 20 June 2017 - 02:12 PM

View PostMacros, on 20 June 2017 - 01:16 PM, said:

What's the difference better prime time line and the other?

Was there a split reality in one of the series or what is the story?

I have watched the new films, some random kirk/Packard stuff one or two ds9 and the first few episodes of enterprise.

So JJ Abrams first Star Trek movie, featured the federation starship USS Kelvin (Kirk's father George was aboard this ship, as was his mother...who escaped), which encountered a Black hole (created in the future by a red goo ball thingie being detonated by the Romulan terrorist Nemo, which reverberated back through time) that split off the timeline into two separate realities.

The Prime timeline/reality, which is the one that Star Trek: The Original series, TNG, DS9, VOYAGER (and all the original movies 1-10) all take place in.
And the JJ movie-verse one in the alternate reality (where the Kelvin was destroyed) now called The Kelvin timeline/reality. All the new Trek movies take place in this altered timeline. This was a way for JJ to tell his own story of Star Trek starting with Kirk & Co., and not have to be beholden to the existing canon, or interfere with anything that had come before.

The Kelvin timeline has more advanced looking technology, and has a bunch of completely different universe-deciding events (the destruction of Vulcan chief among them). So the new show looks MUCH more like JJ's Kelvin timeline Trek, than the Prime Universe Trek.

The only person to traverse these realities was Prime Universe Spock, who as an old man....and having been witness to the event which the Romulan Nemo caused to create the alternate reality...was able to cross over more than once, and speak with his alternate self, and the alternate versions of his crew, to help them.

In defense of JJ it was a lovely way to revitalize Trek without treading AT all on what came before, and I quite enjoy his movies for what they are (action-packed Star Wars-y style Star Trek films) STAR TREK: BEYOND being the best of the lot IMHO...but CBS swears that DISCOVERY is Prime...but none of us can see anything of the Prime universe in it.

Hope that makes sense.

This post has been edited by QuickTidal: 21 June 2017 - 12:23 PM

"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#63 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 20 June 2017 - 06:35 PM

Actually makes a lot of sense thanks

and as you say, a great way for Abrams to do his own kirk/spock thing without totally pissing over existing canon and annoying the fans overly

#64 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 20 June 2017 - 07:14 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 20 June 2017 - 02:12 PM, said:

...The only person to traverse these realities was Prime Universe Spock, who as an old man....and having been witness to the event which the Romulan Nemo caused to create the alternate reality...was able to cross over more than once, and speak with his alternate self, and the alternate versions of his crew, usually to help them...

I thought he just made the one trip and then stayed in the Abramsverse and took phone calls from QuintoSpock in the first two?

#65 User is offline   Cause 

• Elder God
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 20 June 2017 - 08:18 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 19 June 2017 - 04:20 PM, said:

Premier date set for Sept 24th....for the first half of the season....and January 2018 for the second half.

You get that? So not only does the USA have to pay to access this show...but they don't even get the whole season out of the gate in the fall like a Netflix show. They have a preordained "break" in the middle.

You know why that is?

To keep subscribers on the hook into the new year and push their revenue to make All Access look good in front of the Shareholders for Q1 2018. This means they FULLY expect people to sign up for ST, and quit the minute it's over.

Ugh.

Since I have to watch this on Space (because of a deal with Canadian THIEVES Bell Canada; instead of my preferred Netflix), it doesn't affect me much...but I can imagine the backlash to this in the States will be sizeable.

Also, one of the show runners talked about how they want to bring the Movies and TV show closer together in scope and execution and such...putting another nail in the OBVIOUS coffin that is the whole "No guys, this is the PRIME universe! For real!" (proceeds to craft show that looks and seems like it's DEFINITELY in the Kelvin Universe). This isn't the Prime Universe guys. I think we may need to accept that sadly.

Or is it even worse? Perhaps they will only shoot the rest of the episodes of the ratings for the first half require it?

#66 User is offline   Coco with marshmallows 

• DIIIIIIIIIIVVVEEEEE
  • Group: LHTEC

Posted 20 June 2017 - 08:21 PM

View PostAbyss, on 20 June 2017 - 07:14 PM, said:

...The only person to traverse these realities was Prime Universe Spock, who as an old man....and having been witness to the event which the Romulan Nemo caused to create the alternate reality...was able to cross over more than once, and speak with his alternate self, and the alternate versions of his crew, usually to help them...

I thought he just made the one trip and then stayed in the Abramsverse and took phone calls from QuintoSpock in the first two?

He did, it was a one way trip, hence the part in the third Abrams movie where young Spock inherits old Spocks' personal effects
meh. Link was dead :(

#67 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 20 June 2017 - 11:59 PM

View PostCoco with marshmallows, on 20 June 2017 - 08:21 PM, said:

View PostAbyss, on 20 June 2017 - 07:14 PM, said:

He did, it was a one way trip, hence the part in the third Abrams movie where young Spock inherits old Spocks' personal effects

Pardon me, that's correct.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#68 User is offline   Silencer 

• Manipulating Special Data
  • Interests:Malazan Book of the Fallen series.
    Computer Game Design.
    Programming.

Posted 21 June 2017 - 06:11 AM

View PostBriar King, on 20 June 2017 - 08:11 PM, said:

View PostMacros, on 20 June 2017 - 06:35 PM, said:

Actually makes a lot of sense thanks

and as you say, a great way for Abrams to do his own kirk/spock thing without totally pissing over existing canon and annoying the fans overly

When I went into see this it was spoilers free by the time I left I wouldn't even speak for a bit I was so pissed off at just paying to see a alt uni film in Trek. I almost wish I had a Go Pro set up to capture my face as it dawned on me what I was watching.

You have a real hate for alternative universes/reboots, don't ya? :(

Shinrei said:

<Vote Silencer> For not garnering any heat or any love for that matter. And I'm being serious here, it's like a mental block that is there, and you just keep forgetting it.

#69 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 21 June 2017 - 12:25 PM

View PostCause, on 20 June 2017 - 08:18 PM, said:

View PostQuickTidal, on 19 June 2017 - 04:20 PM, said:

Premier date set for Sept 24th....for the first half of the season....and January 2018 for the second half.

You get that? So not only does the USA have to pay to access this show...but they don't even get the whole season out of the gate in the fall like a Netflix show. They have a preordained "break" in the middle.

You know why that is?

To keep subscribers on the hook into the new year and push their revenue to make All Access look good in front of the Shareholders for Q1 2018. This means they FULLY expect people to sign up for ST, and quit the minute it's over.

Ugh.

Since I have to watch this on Space (because of a deal with Canadian THIEVES Bell Canada; instead of my preferred Netflix), it doesn't affect me much...but I can imagine the backlash to this in the States will be sizeable.

Also, one of the show runners talked about how they want to bring the Movies and TV show closer together in scope and execution and such...putting another nail in the OBVIOUS coffin that is the whole "No guys, this is the PRIME universe! For real!" (proceeds to craft show that looks and seems like it's DEFINITELY in the Kelvin Universe). This isn't the Prime Universe guys. I think we may need to accept that sadly.

Or is it even worse? Perhaps they will only shoot the rest of the episodes of the ratings for the first half require it?

The scuttle from the set is that all of the season will be shot and in the bag by the time September rolls around. They've sold it to Netflix as a "completed" season...there would have been no other way to barter that deal. So no worry to that happening, just a middle of the season break.

#70 User is offline   Cause 

• Elder God

Posted 21 June 2017 - 01:56 PM

Im torn but I think maybe going for the new universe is a better idea. The adcancements in CGI and what we know expect the future to look like would make a pre kirk Star trek series bizarre.

Having said that some kind of wierd amalgamation of both universes will be the worst way to play it.

#71 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 21 June 2017 - 02:06 PM

View PostCause, on 21 June 2017 - 01:56 PM, said:

Im torn but I think maybe going for the new universe is a better idea. The adcancements in CGI and what we know expect the future to look like would make a pre kirk Star trek series bizarre.

Having said that some kind of wierd amalgamation of both universes will be the worst way to play it.

I think it would be smart to just make it Kelvin universe and be done with it.

A new Prime Universe show (hopefully post-Voyager, Post-Dominon War) could then get made down the road.

#72 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 21 June 2017 - 02:10 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 21 June 2017 - 02:06 PM, said:

A new Prime Universe show (hopefully post-Voyager, Post-Dominon War) could then get made down the road.

Gods, what a stunning slam to the Abramsverse that will be when it inevitably happens in another decade or so.

#73 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 21 June 2017 - 02:31 PM

View PostAbyss, on 21 June 2017 - 02:10 PM, said:

Gods, what a stunning slam to the Abramsverse that will be when it inevitably happens in another decade or so.

Ha! Indeed.

#74 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 21 June 2017 - 02:59 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 21 June 2017 - 02:31 PM, said:

View PostAbyss, on 21 June 2017 - 02:10 PM, said:

Ha! Indeed.

I can already picture the press release...

"We were thrilled to work with JJ Abrams and his team for seven movies, two tv series, and that web thingy, to tell a thrilling story about a modern, alternative version of the Star Trek universe. But now we have heard from the fans that they want to go back to the prime universe and so we're very excited to announce the production of an all new series set after the events in the Voyager show and Nemesis movie in the early days of the Federation hey, hey, stop throwing things, stop, no, no stay away stay away you unwashed scum help HELPPPPPPPPPPP...."

#75 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 23 July 2017 - 05:18 AM

This is definitely better than the first trailer. Not knocking it out of the ballpark level, but also definitely not leaving a bad taste in your mouth like the first one.

They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#76 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 23 July 2017 - 05:22 AM

It's on CBS All Access, whatever that is. So it gives me the impression it's not good enough to make the regular CBS fall tv line up. Bummer.

#77 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 23 July 2017 - 06:16 AM

Yah, frankly even an uneven Star Trek series could last a few years, but I think All Access is gonna kill this show quick regardless of how good it is. CBS is otherwise literally just grandma shows, and grandmas aren't generally the ones buying Rokus etc.

#78 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 23 July 2017 - 06:18 AM

(I know the logic is that getting a loyal fanbase to subscribe will massively boost their #s, grandmas be damned, but I don't see it working long-term.)

This post has been edited by worry: 23 July 2017 - 06:18 AM

#79 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 27 August 2017 - 08:41 PM

huh, I'll be damned. I was reading more about this and one of the characters is the adopted sister raised by Spock's family. I'll be damned. Too bad it's on something called CBS All Access, whatever that is. I might have given it a go otherwise. Ho hum, I don't have time for it anyway.

#80 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 13 September 2017 - 02:53 PM

Wow. The opening theme sounds like it is going to be flippin' epic. And it throws in some parts that seems to be paying homage to the original series. NOICE!

Too bad it's on something called CBS All Access, whatever that is. Maybe the main CBS parent channel will show an episode or two at odd times/hours ? One can hope because I would at least like to get a feel for whether this show is any good or not.

Share this topic:

• 21 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users