• You cannot reply to this topic

Star Trek Discovery Predictions on the new series

#41 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• General Kenobi
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Sith Beatdowns

Posted 14 February 2017 - 03:35 PM

Some updates.

1. Here you will see the Klingons from Discovery in a leaked photo from the set (in which the extra who posted it actually called them Klingons)...who look nothing like the Klingons we know (TOS or TNG/DS9/Voyager/Enterprise) and are more of a bastardization from the ST:ID Klingons...kind of...at any rate, they don't really look much like Klingons to me.

Spoiler

BUT someone pointed out that some concept art from a while back included something called the Sarcophagus Ship. I have learned that these may be ancient precursor Klingons to our modern day ones, who occupy this ship...and not related to modern day ones.

2. From someone I know (this is shooting in my city) the reason Fuller (and a bunch of his other production people) left the show was because after asking and getting the delay they needed to make the show right....CBS sped the timeline back up (they apparently REALLY want to hit their CBS All Access up soon)...this was the January 2017 or May 2017 confusion. Fuller and his people were unwilling to compromise the vision of the show to please suits at CBS who just want it to be up and going and as a result apparently LOTS of the behind the scenes production is being mega-rushed. Its also why after a cordial letter saying he just didn't want to split his time between AG (American Gods for Starz) and ST when he first left the production...Fuller apparently said that he's had to wash his hands of the whole thing and has nada to do with it now going forward. It's also got Akiva Goldsman in some sort of support show runner role now...which scares the bejeezus out of me. But form all I've heard, this thing is a MESS.

3. Canadians...I thought that this was getting the Netflix treatment like every other country BUT the US (who will get it on CBS ALL ACCESS)...it is not....that ever present fucking DEMON known as Bell Media has snapped up the rights...and as such it will run on CTV for the premiere...and Space for the rest of the time. I'm fine with that because I do get Space....but I don't trust Bell Media as far as I can goddamn THROW them considering what they did with HBO in this country...so I worry that as soon as it starts airing they might flip it to Crave or some shit....cause they are dicks. Did I mention they are dicks?

4. I'm still confused as to the decision to set this pre-TOS. It's seems like such a tiny window of time to tell your story...when they COULD have easily done a post-Voyager/DS9 show and had a completely blank canvas (and the possibility for multiple previous show cameos....Admiral Janeway, the crews of DS9 and Voyager too). Show us if they ever got the Slipstream Drive to work properly...or if they defeated the Borg...ect.

Anyways. Not the best news, and I'm HELLA worried about this...but we shall have to see once it comes out.

This post has been edited by QuickTidal: 14 February 2017 - 03:38 PM

"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

#42 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 14 February 2017 - 04:05 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 14 February 2017 - 03:35 PM, said:

Some updates.

1. Here you will see the Klingons from Discovery in a leaked photo from the set (in which the extra who posted it actually called them Klingons)...who look nothing like the Klingons we know (TOS or TNG/DS9/Voyager/Enterprise) and are more of a bastardization from the ST:ID Klingons...kind of...at any rate, they don't really look much like Klingons to me.

Spoiler

BUT someone pointed out that some concept art from a while back included something called the Sarcophagus Ship. I have learned that these may be ancient precursor Klingons to our modern day ones, who occupy this ship...and not related to modern day ones.

I actually like the idea of Klingon Neanderthals... Klingonderthals!!!

More likely they'll blame it on a virus or something.

2. From someone I know (this is shooting in my city) the reason Fuller (and a bunch of his other production people) left ... form all I've heard, this thing is a MESS.

My sources echo this view.

Yes, i have 'sources'.

CBS' 'stewardship' of the Trek tv-verse just isn't going well and i'm not encouraged. Fuller could have made this gold and not bending over backwards to let him was a massive, massive mistake.

3. Canadians...I thought that this was getting the Netflix treatment like every other country BUT the US (who will get it on CBS ALL ACCESS)...it is not....that ever present fucking DEMON known as Bell Media has snapped up the rights...and as such it will run on CTV for the premiere...and Space for the rest of the time. I'm fine with that because I do get Space....but I don't trust Bell Media as far as I can goddamn THROW them considering what they did with HBO in this country...so I worry that as soon as it starts airing they might flip it to Crave or some shit....cause they are dicks. Did I mention they are dicks?

The CTV/Space thing has been on since day one, and yeah its weird but fairly typical in the usual course of the Netflix divide.
I was actually fairly happy about it because there was zero chance i would spring for CBS Access, assuming it becomes available in Canada, or turn cartwheels to get at Netflix US.
That said, yeah, they're totally going to flip it to Crave.

4. I'm still confused as to the decision to set this pre-TOS. It's seems like such a tiny window of time to tell your story...when they COULD have easily done a post-Voyager/DS9 show and had a completely blank canvas (and the possibility for multiple previous show cameos....Admiral Janeway, the crews of DS9 and Voyager too). Show us if they ever got the Slipstream Drive to work properly...or if they defeated the Borg...ect.

HUGE mistake. HUUUUGE.
They're trying to avoid confusing people by setting a tv series after the JJ films. What they fail to grasp is that other than the usual cast of Trekkies who track Kirk's undershirt colors, if it were a good show, no one would care.

Anyways. Not the best news, and I'm HELLA worried about this...but we shall have to see once it comes out.

ENTERPRISE 2.0. Calling it now.

Three seasons, with a major shuffle between 1 and 2, then done.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#43 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• General Kenobi

Posted 14 February 2017 - 04:13 PM

I guess that means to get a post-VOY/DS9 show we need this Enterprise 2.0 show to fail first...which kinda sucks ass.

I mean this jives with one the major suits running CBS saying (out loud, where people could hear his dumb ass say it) that sci-fi doesn't "do well" on TV. Because he's a fucking moron without eyes to see all the successful shows that we've had in the last decade.

EDIT to point out: ENTERPRISE (a show they are basically emulating in a way) ran for 4 seasons...and rocky seasons at that....while TNG, DS9, and VOYAGER each ran for 7. Someone should have just put that goddamned math in front of the CBS suits.

Gods, I'm angry about this today. LOL!

This post has been edited by QuickTidal: 14 February 2017 - 04:15 PM

"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

#44 User is offline   Briar King 

• Master of the Deck
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Drive by bye bye king

Posted 14 February 2017 - 05:00 PM

Don't watch it. Tell others not to watch. Let it die in ratings
Drive by bye bye king on my dumb horse

#45 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 14 February 2017 - 06:52 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 14 February 2017 - 04:13 PM, said:

I guess that means to get a post-VOY/DS9 show we need this Enterprise 2.0 show to fail first...which kinda sucks ass.

I mean this jives with one the major suits running CBS saying (out loud, where people could hear his dumb ass say it) that sci-fi doesn't "do well" on TV. Because he's a fucking moron without eyes to see all the successful shows that we've had in the last decade.

Actually, this is accurate if you replace TV with 'CBS', a network that survives on NCIS spinoffs and formulaic sitcoms that appeal to a certain demographic.
At the moment the closest CBS gets to scifi is SCORPION, a hacker show stupidified for the NCIS demographic, and the fucking Macgyver reboot, nuff said.

Of course the point goes to poor network choices more than anything, but there it is. Fox has a better record with genre shows than CBS, ffs.

EDIT to point out: ENTERPRISE (a show they are basically emulating in a way) ran for 4 seasons...and rocky seasons at that....while TNG, DS9, and VOYAGER each ran for 7. Someone should have just put that goddamned math in front of the CBS suits.

I expect that someone did, and they nodded in deep understanding and then ignored it.

Expect more of the same.

Looks like CBS is flailing, confusing its financial priorities, program planning and a desperate attempt to create a streaming service for some strange reason.

#46 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• General Kenobi

Posted 14 February 2017 - 07:00 PM

View PostAbyss, on 14 February 2017 - 06:52 PM, said:

Looks like CBS is flailing, confusing its financial priorities, program planning and a desperate attempt to create a streaming service for some strange reason.

Indeed, and yet If they'd just put the time and energy into having made a SOLID Star Trek show, aired it on regular tv, they could have a property to keep them relevant and solvent for a decade or more.

I don't understand their desire to make CBS All Access fly so hard...they aren't doing themselves any favours by pushing it on Americans by making a fan-fave franchise a carrot to dangle behind a paywall (made worse by airing the pilot traditionally on cable, and then pulling the rest back to the pay service...I mean that's fucking disgusting, drug pusher nonsense)...and that's made worse by making deals with Netflix internationally so everyone BUT the U.S. gets it with what they already have (provided they have Netflix)...hell, even the Bell Media deal in Canada means as long as you have cable still...you will probably get it.

This post has been edited by QuickTidal: 14 February 2017 - 07:00 PM

#47 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 14 February 2017 - 07:44 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 14 February 2017 - 07:00 PM, said:

View PostAbyss, on 14 February 2017 - 06:52 PM, said:

Indeed, and yet If they'd just put the time and energy into having made a SOLID Star Trek show, aired it on regular tv, they could have a property to keep them relevant and solvent for a decade or more.

I don't understand their desire to make CBS All Access fly so hard...they aren't doing themselves any favours by pushing it on Americans by making a fan-fave franchise a carrot to dangle behind a paywall (made worse by airing the pilot traditionally on cable, and then pulling the rest back to the pay service...I mean that's fucking disgusting, drug pusher nonsense)...and that's made worse by making deals with Netflix internationally so everyone BUT the U.S. gets it with what they already have (provided they have Netflix)...hell, even the Bell Media deal in Canada means as long as you have cable still...you will probably get it.

Maybe their actual goal is to unseat GAME OF THRONES as the most pirated show on tv.

....ok i was being flippant when i posted that but the more i think about it the more it explains...

#48 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• General Kenobi

Posted 17 May 2017 - 10:45 PM

First look...and UUUUUGH.

Wooden acting is wooden acting. Jeezus that dialogue and delivery is Badsauce. And that's odd becausw Martin-Green, Yeoh, AND Doug Jones are excellent actors...so it's gotta be a clunky script.

The tech seems FAR too advacned to be 10 years pre-Kirk...like they didn't even ATTEMPT continuity for the timeline.

If this is the Prime universe....it sure as HELL looks like the Kelvin timeline instead...

I dunno man...the outfits look spiffy I guess? Otherwise Meh.

This post has been edited by QuickTidal: 17 May 2017 - 10:53 PM

#49 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 17 May 2017 - 11:03 PM

Yah, kind of a turkey of a trailer, but we'll see, we'll see. One thing though is that it was always a dumb idea to make it pre-Kirk. That's just so limiting for no reason, and frankly kinda chicken.
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#50 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• General Kenobi

Posted 18 May 2017 - 01:41 AM

View Postworry, on 17 May 2017 - 11:03 PM, said:

Yah, kind of a turkey of a trailer, but we'll see, we'll see. One thing though is that it was always a dumb idea to make it pre-Kirk. That's just so limiting for no reason, and frankly kinda chicken.

Agreed. That said th cast is good enough to possibly pull out a win.

#51 User is offline   Briar King 

• Master of the Deck
  • Drive by bye bye king

Posted 18 May 2017 - 02:50 AM

Michelle Yoeh is fucking awesome. It ll be cool to see if they utilize her fighting ability in this since they are going with Klingons. I haven't seen the trailer since it's taken down now. Maybe they showed her doing some moves in it?

#52 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• General Kenobi

Posted 18 May 2017 - 10:31 AM

View PostBriar King, on 18 May 2017 - 02:50 AM, said:

Michelle Yoeh is fucking awesome. It ll be cool to see if they utilize her fighting ability in this since they are going with Klingons. I haven't seen the trailer since it's taken down now. Maybe they showed her doing some moves in it?

Nope, no action Yeoh moves. But yeah, she's awesome!

#53 User is offline   Cause 

• Elder God

Posted 18 May 2017 - 02:02 PM

Looks completely off. The pre kirk thing was always going to be a problem.

Special effects have advanced so much, as has our idea of what future tech should look like. Hence the ship looks more advanced.

#54 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• General Kenobi

Posted 18 May 2017 - 05:20 PM

As a fair Star Trek fan (but not a die-hard), I'm willing to suspend some things for a new show...but this just doesn't FEEL like a Star Trek show to me.

Can we also talk about there big Elephant/continuity element in the room that's not even the tech level?

The Delta Insignia.

Prior to the END of Kirk's first 5-year mission (so 15 years AFTER DISCOVERY takes place)...Starfleet ship uniforms all had their own personal insignias....the now well-known Delta Insignia was the Enterprise crews personal Insignia...which was adopted by Starfleet after Kirk's 5-year mission.

So how it is on everyones uniforms here, on a totally different ship a decade before Kirk even leaves space dock on his 5-year mission...is something that REALLY sticks in my craw.

ENTERPRISE was aware of this fact and that's why the uniforms on that show didn't use the Delta.

#55 User is offline   Briar King 

• Master of the Deck
  • Drive by bye bye king

Posted 18 May 2017 - 06:14 PM

Dork

#56 User is offline   Salt-Man Z 

• My pen halts, though I do not
  • View gallery

Posted 18 May 2017 - 09:09 PM

Yeah, the Enterprise insignia showing up was the first thing that I noticed too, and it immediately took me out of the whole thing. I guess I'm pretty middling for a Trek nerd nowadays (didn't watch most of DS9, couldn't get past the 2nd season of ENT--though I was a huge TOS/movie/Pocket Books fan back in the day) but I have zero interest in (a) yet another frigging prequel series that (b) I have to subscribe to a new streaming service just to watch. Never mind that this trailer makes it look dull and way too Abramsversy.

This post has been edited by Salt-Man Z: 18 May 2017 - 09:10 PM

"Here is light. You will say that it is not a living entity, but you miss the point that it is more, not less. Without occupying space, it fills the universe. It nourishes everything, yet itself feeds upon destruction. We claim to control it, but does it not perhaps cultivate us as a source of food? May it not be that all wood grows so that it can be set ablaze, and that men and women are born to kindle fires?"
―Gene Wolfe, The Citadel of the Autarch

#57 User is offline   Silencer 

• Manipulating Special Data
  • Interests:Malazan Book of the Fallen series.
    Computer Game Design.
    Programming.

Posted 21 May 2017 - 06:31 AM

You know, I've got one friend who is absolutely excited about this. Every other comment I've read is bashing it.

Frankly, I didn't care either way. It was less than interesting to me because I just assumed it would be like the new movies but on TV - not that the new movies are bad, but they aren't really series material.

Then I went and watched this trailer on YouTube.

OK, average trailer.

Then I read the comments on the trailer. Huge mistake.

90% of the people bashing this, are making comments like "oh yah, another feminist lead", "who wants to bet she's a lesbian, too?", "the SJW's have ruined this!, "Why can't we see any white male leads any more?", and a myriad of other complaints along those lines.

Just because of that, I hope this show succeeds like nothing else Trek ever could have even dreamed of. Clearly, these people all missed the damn memo that the Federation was the biggest proponent of gender equality ever made (actual portrayal in TOS not withstanding). Never mind that for a group of people who likes to call others snowflakes, they seem to have a real hard time accepting things that aren't exactly the way they want it.

Fucking hell. Never read the comments.

/rant

Shinrei said:

<Vote Silencer> For not garnering any heat or any love for that matter. And I'm being serious here, it's like a mental block that is there, and you just keep forgetting it.

"For the record, I'm pretty sure my mind was shouting 'CLICHESTORM' over and over again during the opening of Skyrim...just putting that out there.." - Me.

~Nothing is true. Everything is permitted.~

#58 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 21 May 2017 - 07:20 PM

I despise the fact that they're doing another prequel series. Everything surrounding the production suggests that it will be a mess.
...but yeah, I want to see it succeed just to fuck with everyone pissed about the lead being a vis min woman.

#59 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 21 May 2017 - 07:31 PM

How do you watch Star Trek at all and come to the conclusion that "SJW"s are the antithesis?
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#60 User is offline   Silencer 

• Manipulating Special Data
  • Interests:Malazan Book of the Fallen series.
    Computer Game Design.
    Programming.

Posted 22 May 2017 - 06:40 AM

View Postworry, on 21 May 2017 - 07:31 PM, said:

How do you watch Star Trek at all and come to the conclusion that "SJW"s are the antithesis?

Presumably only by ever watching TOS and ignoring anything that is said about the Federation or Star Fleet and focus instead exclusively on Cpt. Kirk's womanising? I dunno.

Shinrei said:

<Vote Silencer> For not garnering any heat or any love for that matter. And I'm being serious here, it's like a mental block that is there, and you just keep forgetting it.

"For the record, I'm pretty sure my mind was shouting 'CLICHESTORM' over and over again during the opening of Skyrim...just putting that out there.." - Me.

~Nothing is true. Everything is permitted.~

Share this topic:

• 20 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users