• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Star Trek Discovery Predictions on the new series

#121 User is offline   Serenity 

• Saki!!!!!
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 26 September 2017 - 12:42 PM

View PostCause, on 26 September 2017 - 11:51 AM, said:

What was that line about transporters being obsolete? I never understood that line

That was something about lateral transporters wasn't it? Which was why the things ( <-- technical term) on the Shenzhou were behind them rather than above them, cos they were obsolete?

#122 User is offline   Serenity 

• Saki!!!!!

Posted 26 September 2017 - 12:44 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 26 September 2017 - 12:39 PM, said:

Also, how about the fact that the titular ship of the show...ISN'T IN THE FIRST TWO EPISODES OF THE SHOW THAT BEARS ITS NAME.

That's what they were on about in the After Trek show, how these two episodes were a prologue and

Spoiler

#123 User is offline   Cause 

• Elder God

Posted 26 September 2017 - 01:18 PM

The disjointedness was jarring in Ep 2...like when the ensign gets bonked and stumbles (for some inexplicable reason) into the brig so he can have a random conversation with Burnham instead of whatever...JUST so we can have a "ripped away" moment? I mean what kind of sensationalist nonsense is that?

yip this was an odd scene. My initial thought was this meant to be the heavy handed way they got her out of the brig. The ensign was confused but kept saying she was needed on the bridge. Once he died I felt the whole scene was a bit unnecessary. I reckon it was a leftover from before a rewrite. However someone definitely felt that a space magic mindmeld (that can communicate across light years immediately) made for better TV. I am sure they were wrong.

And the space battle. The Space battles even in the lowliest of old Trek episodes felt epic and grandiose. Apparently the STD effects crew took their cues from THE PHANTOM MENACE Jungians VS Droids instead with ineffectual looking skinny lasers firing from one ship to another in super fast little "Pew pew" moments. Ugh. It felt anything but epic.

Again I agree with you. The space battle was oddly lacking in thrill. Also after setting up the Klingons as something to fear it seems as if the federation more than held their own against the Klingons until they decloaked the extra ships. Was interesting to see how shady both sides were as well. The Klingons attacking from cloak after agreeing to a cease fire (I wonder if the previous Klingons would have not considered this dishonorable) and the federation strapping a bomb to a corpse.

Also cant help but feel that if they had only sent over 3 people (maybe even a whole squad?) to capture the Klingon leader instead of two the series could already be over.

#124 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 26 September 2017 - 01:27 PM

View PostSerenity, on 26 September 2017 - 12:44 PM, said:

Also, how about the fact that the titular ship of the show...ISN'T IN THE FIRST TWO EPISODES OF THE SHOW THAT BEARS ITS NAME.

That's what they were on about in the After Trek show, how these two episodes were a prologue and

Spoiler

I don't know of any other TV shows, even binge-worthy Netflix shows that use two full hours as a prologue. That's unheard of and silly to me. If you need two hours of prologue, either your story is too convoluted...or you've indulged in your own script. Since these were Bryan Fuller-scripted eps from before he left production, we have to blame him sadly.

View PostCause, on 26 September 2017 - 01:18 PM, said:

Again I agree with you. The space battle was oddly lacking in thrill. Also after setting up the Klingons as something to fear it seems as if the federation more than held their own against the Klingons until they decloaked the extra ships. Was interesting to see how shady both sides were as well. The Klingons attacking from cloak after agreeing to a cease fire (I wonder if the previous Klingons would have not considered this dishonorable) and the federation strapping a bomb to a corpse.

Also cant help but feel that if they had only sent over 3 people (maybe even a whole squad?) to capture the Klingon leader instead of two the series could already be over.

Right? I mean thinking about older Trek shows and movies....you get those glorious photon torpedoes launched with a pendulous burst and looking like big stars as they clunk into another ship and rip up a big explosion from the hull...the shooty pew pew back and forth lasers in this were so minimalist that it felt like an ineffectual slap/tickle fight.

And I agree. The Federation does fine against the Klingons that Burhnam not only spent 20 minutes RAILING about being these elite badass warriors who can destroy you in an instant..but she even went to mutiny to attack them...The Federation did fine, other than the extra cloaked ships pulling a fast one on them with Admiral Anthony Michael Hall's ship.

This post has been edited by QuickTidal: 26 September 2017 - 01:29 PM

"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#125 User is offline   Cause 

• Elder God

Posted 26 September 2017 - 01:42 PM

Beyond the mind meld magic I just remembered the anti proton treatment. Bombarding someone with anti protons seems a poor way to heal someone unless your healing them from a diseased state of not being blown up

#126 User is offline   Serenity 

• Saki!!!!!

Posted 26 September 2017 - 02:19 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 26 September 2017 - 01:27 PM, said:

View PostSerenity, on 26 September 2017 - 12:44 PM, said:

Spoiler

I don't know of any other TV shows, even binge-worthy Netflix shows that use two full hours as a prologue. That's unheard of and silly to me. If you need two hours of prologue, either your story is too convoluted...or you've indulged in your own script.

Yep, completely agree. It would've worked far better, IMO, had they jumped straight into the story properly and filled in Michael's backstory like any other show would.

#127 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 26 September 2017 - 03:02 PM

View PostSerenity, on 26 September 2017 - 02:19 PM, said:

Yep, completely agree. It would've worked far better, IMO, had they jumped straight into the story properly and filled in Michael's backstory like any other show would.

And that's the other thing that rankled me. Star Trek has always been about the ensemble cast. These two episodes focus down HARD on Michael so much that other characters, are left largely as cardboard cutouts.

It should have started aboard the Discovery in my opinion. Start in Media Res and show the events from this prologue as flashbacks.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#128 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 26 September 2017 - 03:12 PM

View PostAbyss, on 26 September 2017 - 02:24 AM, said:

View PostHoney Cups, on 26 September 2017 - 01:15 AM, said:

View PostAbyss, on 25 September 2017 - 07:44 PM, said:

View PostUna, on 25 September 2017 - 07:18 PM, said:

...I watched both episodes on Space because I'm in Canada. I can't believe they didn't even give you the second half of the pilot in the US!...

WE WIN!!!!!

Which is honestly just sad. This whole show is a ransom on one of the most beloved franchises to its home country due to greed.

Seriously. It boggles the mind that frikkin Canada got the two hour premiere and CBS flat out screwed the US market from even watching that.

Also, WE WINNNNNNNN!

View PostHoney Cups, on 26 September 2017 - 02:34 AM, said:

Fuck CBS All Access right up its warp nascelles.

Also, SPACE, the channel its on here, is rerunning the two episodes all week. Like twice a day.

OHHH CANADAAAAAA WE STAND ON GUARD, FOR THEEEEEEEEEEEEEE.....
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#129 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 26 September 2017 - 03:30 PM

View PostSerenity, on 26 September 2017 - 11:26 AM, said:

Nah, somebody called Matt Mira trying very hard to be Chris Hardwick. He was cringe-inducingly awful from what I saw.

Oh I know Matt Mira. I think he is part of Hardwick's Nerdist empire. Which I hate because if you have to force the "nerd" brand that hard, then you really aren't a nerd, know what I'm saying?

Anyway, Mira, from what I remember was actually pretty smart when he was on G4. He used to be really fat but has lost a lot of weight (still he is pretty chunky though). I saw him on one of those @Midnight episodes that Hardwick hosted on Comedy Central and sort of had to do a double take because he slimmed down so much. Like I said, he is still chunky so you can imagine how fat he used to be. He probably got one of them gastric bypass operations or something that people who are morbidly obese get.

#130 User is offline   Dutch 

• Bridgeburner
  • Interests:Malazan Book of the Fallen, American Football, Quick Ben

Posted 26 September 2017 - 04:21 PM

Dutch angles? explain please.
Sappers have a saying, he muttered. "Wide eyed stupid"

#131 User is offline   Dutch 

• Bridgeburner

Posted 26 September 2017 - 04:23 PM

I haven't seen it yet, but a co-worker of mine did and he completely enthusiastic about the show, so it did make me curious.

Then again, he told me that he never liked the old Star Wars movies, but totally was raving about the new movies.

#132 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 26 September 2017 - 04:26 PM

View PostDutch, on 26 September 2017 - 04:21 PM, said:

Dutch angles? explain please.

From the wiki: The Dutch angle, also known as Dutch tilt, canted angle, or oblique angle, is a type of camera shot where the camera is set at an angle on its roll axis so that the shot is composed with vertical lines at an angle to the side of the frame, or so that the horizon line of the shot is not parallel with the bottom of the camera frame. This produces a viewpoint akin to tilting one's head to the side.

In cinematography, the Dutch angle is one of many cinematic techniques often used to portray psychological uneasiness or tension in the subject being filmed.

Basically the camera is set on an angle and the subjects in the frame are on a diagonal, even a slight one.

Voila.

Attached File  15-800x448.jpg (49.81K)
Number of downloads: 0

It's fine to use and is often used correctly...but in STD it was every other shot and was so distracting as to make me believe the DOP on the show is mentally deficient in some way.

Remember that episode of THE SIMPSONS where Homer was making a video compilation and kept wanting to throw in Star Wipes? This is that. On a real show.

This post has been edited by QuickTidal: 26 September 2017 - 04:28 PM

#133 User is offline   Dutch 

• Bridgeburner

Posted 26 September 2017 - 04:34 PM

Thank you for the information, just found about out the same.

The wiki that I found added this:

Dutch refers to a bastardisation of the word "Deutsch", the German word for "German". It is not related to the Dutch people or language. It originated in the First World War, as Navy blockades made the import (and export) of movies impossible. The German movie scene was part of the expressionist movement, which used the Dutch angle extensively.

#134 User is offline   Cause 

• Elder God

Posted 27 September 2017 - 10:42 AM

View PostHoney Cups, on 26 September 2017 - 06:07 PM, said:

That last actually sounds like it should(skinny fast) fit for the time. It wasn't till TNG that we got solid phaser shots. I'm sure some pics will come soon of it so I can see.

Its not the pew pew lasers that's the problem (exactly) its that the battle is so static and lifeless. You have the federation forming a 3d wall of ships on one side facing of a 3d wall of ships on the other side. The Klingons fire first. The federation ship they open fire on does not move and just takes it for a few seconds. Then all the ships start trading blows. Still no one is really moving. Then we do see a little movement, after the captain calls out evasive maneuver Alpha 7, that looks like a gentle luxury yacht sailing in the wind. Alpha 7 by the way means turn us around in English.

#135 User is offline   Nevyn 

• Shield Anvil

Posted 27 September 2017 - 01:32 PM

Caught up last night.

Not sure how I feel about burning 2 episodes on one character's backstory. Nor about launching a Gene Roddenberry show with the kickoff to a war. Star Trek has always had battles, and more so for its films, but if this show becomes as combative as it is suggesting, that will probably stray a bit far from the original vision.

Also, the whole mess is rather sloppy. Excuse me from the bridge with no explanation, so I can phone Sarek? Then the reasoning behind the mutiny. Then the plan you pitch the captain is capturing the leader, but you shoot him with your phaser on kill? It all just felt very forced. If the reasoning was going to be so thin, the backstory would have been better delivered through flashbacks.
Tatts early in SH game: Hmm, so if I'm liberal I should have voted Nein to make sure I'm president? I'm not that selfish

Tatts later in SAME game: I'm going to be a corrupt official. I have turned from my liberal ways, and now will vote against the pesky liberals. Viva la Fascism.
When Venge's turn comes, he will get a yes from Mess, Dolmen, Nevyn and Venge but a no from the 3 fascists and me. **** with my Government, and i'll **** with yours

#136 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 27 September 2017 - 02:57 PM

View PostNevyn, on 27 September 2017 - 01:32 PM, said:

Caught up last night.

Not sure how I feel about burning 2 episodes on one character's backstory. Nor about launching a Gene Roddenberry show with the kickoff to a war. Star Trek has always had battles, and more so for its films, but if this show becomes as combative as it is suggesting, that will probably stray a bit far from the original vision.

I fear the plan is to show the Federation VS Klingon war (through Burnham's eyes) for the whole season. And yeah, I'm not as into that. Star Trek is about exploration and such. If they've cobbled together an entire season of Feds VS Klings...I'm not going to be impressed.

If, on the other hand, they just wanted to establish the Klingons as an ever-present threat WHILE they explore the galaxy, then that's fine.

But I'm worried it's the former.

This post has been edited by QuickTidal: 27 September 2017 - 02:58 PM

#137 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 27 September 2017 - 03:26 PM

Counterpoint - big ass spaceships blowing shit up, ramming other big ass spaceships, and using dead bodies as mines, is solid sf tv fun. This is the Federation before it got all huggy and cuddly and prime directivishy... we've had years of that, minus the last couple of seasons of DS9 which were mostly The Dominion war and arguably the bestest seasons of any Trek series ever. So bring on the zappy sploddy I say.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#138 User is offline   Serenity 

• Saki!!!!!

Posted 27 September 2017 - 04:00 PM

Netflix just posted this new trailer:

#139 User is offline   Serenity 

• Saki!!!!!

Posted 27 September 2017 - 04:09 PM

Hmm, maybe it's only available in the UK?

#140 User is offline   Cause 

• Elder God

Posted 27 September 2017 - 04:19 PM

View PostSerenity, on 27 September 2017 - 04:09 PM, said:

Hmm, maybe it's only available in the UK?

Paint us a word picture

Share this topic:

• 21 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users