Malazan Empire: The UK Politics Thread - Malazan Empire

• 91 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

The UK Politics Thread (Formerly the Brexit thread)

#1721 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 21 November 2023 - 09:24 PM

Yay for the tories!

#1722 User is offline   Maark Abbott 

• Part Time Catgirl
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Interests:Redacted

Posted 21 November 2023 - 09:56 PM

View PostLady Bliss, on 21 November 2023 - 01:26 PM, said:

View Postworry, on 21 November 2023 - 01:02 PM, said:

That's dangerous talk. While someone that is disabled but is capable to work with workplace accomplishments seems reasonable, I think it could be a slippery slope that could deny care for all of the disabled.

Disgusting. They do not care about those with disabilities. Only their own bottom line. This will invariably lead to folk who can't work being forced to either work or lose everything. Toraidh bastarts create a society of people whose mental health is guttered to fuck and then shit on them after. Need a hot sauce fucking enema this lot.
Debut novel 'Incarnate' now available on Kindle

#1723 User is offline   Mezla PigDog 

• Malazan Yo Yo Champion 2009
  • Group: Mezla's Thought Police

Posted 05 May 2024 - 08:43 AM

Are we feeling at least a little bit good, people?

(Yes, yes, I know Starmer is Tory-lite and stands for nothing).

Get the popcorn in for whatever batshit internal squabbling antics the Conservative party are going to get into now.
Burn rubber =/= warp speed

#1724 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon

Posted 05 May 2024 - 11:16 AM

Yes indeed. They've been quite nicely crushed.

Two little things that particularly made me happy:
Count Binface beat Britain First.
Laurence Fox only got 0.49% of the votes. Even that is too many but I hope he's miserable about it.
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#1725 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 05 May 2024 - 12:29 PM

Reading some of the commentary is hilarious. Do they not understand that democratic govts aren't voted in, but voted out? Or do they know and just don't want to admit it?
Labour thinking people are voting FOR them is quite funny. It's the same here. They actually start to genuinely believe their own bullshit.

It's an endless cycle of "the current lot are stale and shit, maybe the other lot can't do any worse". And so on ad infinitum ...

Loving watching the Tories turn on each other. But that Bravermann is another whole order of magnitude of cold, treacherous, hypocritical bitch.

This post has been edited by Tsundoku: 05 May 2024 - 12:32 PM

"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"Well well well ... if it ain't The Invisible C**t." - Billy Butcher, The Boys

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#1726 User is offline   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant

Posted 05 May 2024 - 03:25 PM

View PostMezla PigDog, on 05 May 2024 - 08:43 AM, said:

Are we feeling at least a little bit good, people?

(Yes, yes, I know Starmer is Tory-lite and stands for nothing).

Get the popcorn in for whatever batshit internal squabbling antics the Conservative party are going to get into now.

Former UK poet laureate Andrew Motion in The Atlantic:

No Subject

Hope exhausted years ago
but I still try.
Heart thumps on doggedly
[...] I dream
the ground I plough and plant
might even now
sprout greenery I never saw before
and not, as I expect, remain
as rolling oceans do in falling snow.

... drools the waves....

This post has been edited by Azath Vitr (D'ivers: 05 May 2024 - 03:25 PM

#1727 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 22 May 2024 - 04:57 PM

Snap general election called for July 4...Happy Independence Day, UK!
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#1728 User is offline   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant

Posted 22 May 2024 - 05:37 PM

View Postworry, on 22 May 2024 - 04:57 PM, said:

Snap general election called for July 4...Happy Independence Day, UK!

Rishi Sunak's Election Speech Drowned Out By Pouring British Rain & Protester Blasting D:Ream's 'Things Can Only Get Better'

As the prime minister delivered his address to the nation, he was getting visibly drenched by a spring shower, while he had to fight to be heard over [...] Things Can Only Get Better, a famous Tony Blair campaign song

Rishi Sunak Election Speech Wash Out; 'Things Can Only Get Better' (deadline.com)

lol

I bless the rains
up in Ang-le-terre

This post has been edited by Azath Vitr (D'ivers: 22 May 2024 - 05:37 PM

#1729 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

Posted 22 May 2024 - 06:06 PM

Well now. The next 6 weeks should be fun.
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#1730 User is offline   stone monkey 

• I'm the baddest man alive and I don't plan to die...
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: (COPPA) Users Awaiting Moderatio

Posted 22 May 2024 - 07:55 PM

I mean, "Yay! General Election!"
But also, professionally speaking at least, now nothing gets decided or done for 6 weeks at just the point where a whole bunch of things needed to be decided and/or done. Treading water for 6 weeks should be fun...
If an opinion contrary to your own makes you angry, that is a sign that you are subconsciously aware of having no good reason for thinking as you do. If some one maintains that two and two are five, or that Iceland is on the equator, you feel pity rather than anger, unless you know so little of arithmetic or geography that his opinion shakes your own contrary conviction. … So whenever you find yourself getting angry about a difference of opinion, be on your guard; you will probably find, on examination, that your belief is going beyond what the evidence warrants. Bertrand Russell

#1731 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 22 May 2024 - 08:37 PM

View Poststone monkey, on 22 May 2024 - 07:55 PM, said:

But also, professionally speaking at least, now nothing gets decided or done for 6 weeks at just the point where a whole bunch of things needed to be decided and/or done. Treading water for 6 weeks should be fun...

Funny you say treading water ...
"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"Well well well ... if it ain't The Invisible C**t." - Billy Butcher, The Boys

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#1732 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

Posted 22 May 2024 - 09:34 PM

And everywhere else will just be deluged by an absolute tsunami of fake news, ai generated misinformation, Russian troll farms and bots... Hatemongers like Farage, 30p Lee, Stephen Yaxley-Lennon etc will manage to worm their way into everything... It's going to get grim.
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#1733 User is offline   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant

Posted 22 May 2024 - 10:14 PM

View PostTiste Simeon, on 22 May 2024 - 09:34 PM, said:

And everywhere else will just be deluged by an absolute tsunami of fake news, ai generated misinformation, Russian troll farms and bots... Hatemongers like Farage, 30p Lee, Stephen Yaxley-Lennon etc will manage to worm their way into everything... It's going to get grim.

The party best placed to capitalize on a sense that Sunak has not delivered on immigration is Reform, the successor to the U.K. Independence Party. But the local elections showed that its ground organization is still patchy, and the energetic and well-known Nigel Farage, who co-founded the party, has so far resisted calls to serve as its leader. Holding an election now significantly diminishes the threat to the Tories from the radical right.

An imminent election also saves them the trouble of explaining how they plan to make the country's budget add up next year.
Spoiler

The British Prime Minister Bowed to the Inevitable - The Atlantic

Even the choice of location for the announcement – outside No 10 in the pouring rain [...] has become a source of anger and humiliation. The fact that, within this parliament, £2.6m was spent on refurbishing a glitzy press room just next door at No 9 Downing Street has not gone unnoticed.

"Indoors, dry, no music" a confused comms adviser pointed out. "There are so many things you can't predict, but 'rain makes you wet' really isn't one."

Why Conservatives are furious with Rishi Sunak - New Statesman

Like something out of Veep...

This post has been edited by Azath Vitr (D'ivers: 22 May 2024 - 10:14 PM

#1734 User is offline   Mezla PigDog 

Posted 23 May 2024 - 06:56 AM

Urgh. On the one hand I am excited at the prospect of change (I hope). On the other hand, it's all so grim and even if the most likely result happens, Starmer hasn't given any real reasons to feel enthusiastic about him. There are people around him who I feel more enthusiastic about though. Rayner is a nice change from your average MP and a female Chancellor will be noteworthy.... I've always liked Ed Miliband and Yvette Cooper. David Lammy says it like it is. Emily Thornberry seems competent.

So ignoring Starmer and party politics - it's a collective bunch of people that are a gazillion miles ahead of the alternatives. I hope there are more Green MPs at the end of it as well.

#1735 User is offline   Maark Abbott 

• Part Time Catgirl
  • Interests:Redacted

Posted 23 May 2024 - 07:40 AM

View PostMezla PigDog, on 23 May 2024 - 06:56 AM, said:

Urgh. On the one hand I am excited at the prospect of change (I hope). On the other hand, it's all so grim and even if the most likely result happens, Starmer hasn't given any real reasons to feel enthusiastic about him. There are people around him who I feel more enthusiastic about though. Rayner is a nice change from your average MP and a female Chancellor will be noteworthy.... I've always liked Ed Miliband and Yvette Cooper. David Lammy says it like it is. Emily Thornberry seems competent.

So ignoring Starmer and party politics - it's a collective bunch of people that are a gazillion miles ahead of the alternatives. I hope there are more Green MPs at the end of it as well.

The greens came up Milhouse in the local elections so you never know!
Debut novel 'Incarnate' now available on Kindle

#1736 User is offline   Cyphon 

• Cagey Bastard of TQB
  • Group: Team Quick Ben

Posted 23 May 2024 - 11:07 AM

I describe this election alternatively as;

Relief not excitement

Or

Out of the fire and into the frying pan.
Para todos todo, para nosotros nada.

MottI'd always pegged you as more of an Ublala

#1737 User is offline   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant

Posted 23 May 2024 - 11:13 AM

Seems almost like Sunak said to himself, "Screw trying to make the budget work, screw the far right, screw the Tories, I quit... wait no, I can screw them over even worse if I don't quit!"

But that's almost certainly making him sound far more heroic than he actually is....

Would that those rain drops had been custard pies. (Or even better: better politicians legislators!)

This post has been edited by Azath Vitr (D'ivers: 23 May 2024 - 01:20 PM

#1738 User is offline   TheRetiredBridgeburner 

• House Knight

Posted 23 May 2024 - 06:11 PM

View PostMezla PigDog, on 23 May 2024 - 06:56 AM, said:

Very much all of this.

And another worry about just how grim this will get in the next six weeks.
- Wyrd bið ful aræd -

#1739 User is offline   Mezla PigDog 

Posted 23 May 2024 - 11:39 PM

I watched Question Time and now I am depressed.

I'm in a newly drawn constituency. I feel like everything I know about voting here has been taken away! Not that it really matters overall but I enjoy the thought process of trying to work out what to do in a tactical vote.

#1740 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 24 May 2024 - 01:24 PM

So is this just a frustrating 'least of all evils' election for you guys, or is it more of a 'good vs evil' thing a la 'anyone vs Trump' in the US?
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

Share this topic:

• 91 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users