• Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

cooking ideas/recipes etc

#41 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 03 February 2016 - 01:17 PM

Yeah, I am a fan of the spicy and different, most of the people Im feeding are mummy's boys and girls who view a meal as not being a meal unless there is a clearly defined.and simple offering of meat and potatoes.

Am going to go with you garlic lemon marinade and grill. Then slice and serve with the cheesy bacon croquettes.
Possibly make some garlic mayo as a small side dollop to dip into
Just something small.

I find too often starters are too large a serving for my liking, and the dinner is hammered out on the table immediately after, I'd far rather a small bite then sit and relax for ten/ fifteen minutes with a glass of wine before the main is thrown at me.

#42 User is offline   Mezla PigDog 

• Malazan Yo Yo Champion 2009
  • Group: Mezla's Thought Police

Posted 03 February 2016 - 01:28 PM

OK, so leave it overnight in the fridge in the marinade and the lemon juice will make it really juicy when it is cooked. And sub in parsley for basil or tarragon or thyme or something if you prefer or depending what's in the shop/garden. Sprinkle a bit of the fresh herb on top when it is cooked.

I'm on the fence with how long you should wait between starter and main. On the one hand a short break of 10 mins is good for conversation and wine etc. On the other hand, if you are really hoping to pig out then the wait can be a disaster in terms of how much food you can squeeze in :p Depends on the type of meal I think. And when it is you cooking even if the main is something that is virtually finished cooking by the time you sit down for the starter, getting the food actually on to the table will take 10 mins anyway.
Burn rubber =/= warp speed

#43 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits

Posted 03 February 2016 - 03:53 PM

This is true. Just the run of weddings (think I'll hit the big 30 by my sisters this summer, since oct 2012) I've been to over the last few years, some have been dumping our mains out as they lifted our starters, some had abysmally long waits between courses. I find my self happiest with the 10/15 minute mark. Was at one on Saturday there way down south, was quite a small wedding (smallest I've ever attended) and they got everything spot on, in quality, quantity and timing.
The waitress looking after our table (mainly topping up my wine glass) was a Library historian and was doing a masters related to historical writing or someonething. We had a delightful conversation.

I understand its difficult to dish out food quickly to numbers, but that's just my personal preference.

#44 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits

Posted 03 February 2016 - 10:21 PM

had some left over potato mash this evening, tried to make a test croquette potato.

unmitigated disaster.

decided (in my worldly wisdom) that flour was not required as the mash looked pretty solid, the egg yolk turned it into a sticky mess,

made them too big

pan too shallow

oil to shallow

cheese strip far to thick

not enough breadcrumbs

it was not a pretty conclusion to the experiment.

but I fully expect there to be potato served for dinner tomorrow night so should have some to try again, with lessons learned.

#45 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits

Posted 30 January 2019 - 01:21 PM

necro time!

#46 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits

Posted 30 January 2019 - 01:25 PM

so,

I am cooking on Saturday night, making Teriyaki chicken and fried rice
no starter
probably just ice cream for desert.

My questions are as follows -
cooking without sugar (one of people is diabetic), in the Teriyaki I'm no overly concerned as the small amount of sugar in my recipe is for a slight sweet kick and not really for any texture benefits, so will swap out for a small drop of splenda.
However my ice cream recipe involves like 6 spoonfuls of caster sugar. Swapping this out for the correct amount of splenda I don't think will work as folding the sugar into the whipped egg whites really helps with the mixes consistency. Anyone have any tricks or good recipes for sugar free ice cream?

#47 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits

Posted 30 January 2019 - 01:38 PM

or am I over thinking this, the amount of sugar in the teriyaki is negligible really, is it only the ice cream I should be thinking about the sugar content on

#48 User is offline   Morgoth 

• executor emeritus

Posted 30 January 2019 - 01:41 PM

I don't know anything about making ice cream. Have you considered making a different kind of desert?
Take good care to keep relations civil
It's decent in the first of gentlemen
To speak friendly, Even to the devil

#49 User is offline   Gorefest 

• Witness
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 30 January 2019 - 01:54 PM

View PostMacros, on 30 January 2019 - 01:25 PM, said:

However my ice cream recipe involves like 6 spoonfuls of caster sugar. Swapping this out for the correct amount of splenda I don't think will work as folding the sugar into the whipped egg whites really helps with the mixes consistency. Anyone have any tricks or good recipes for sugar free ice cream?

Hrm. Are you using milk to make the ice cream? Because lactose is sugar as well, so you aren't just dealing with caster sugar here. Bear in mind though that someone who is diabetic doesn't need to avoid sugar altogether, they just need to make sure that the total amount of carbs stays within a certain target area. Problem is, if you don't know that target area it is difficult to prep for this. You'll need to actually carb count, not just take out anything with the word 'sugar' in it.

I guess you don't want to spoil the meal surprise, but otherwise, can't you just ask them what they would like you to keep in mind or what they would or would not be able to deal with?
Yesterday, upon the stair, I saw a man who wasn't there. He wasn't there again today. Oh, how I wish he'd go away.

#50 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits

Posted 30 January 2019 - 02:17 PM

ice cream is usually eggs, sugar, cream then flavouring and/or chocolate chips or a bashed up candy bar

#51 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits

Posted 30 January 2019 - 02:19 PM

I could ask her but I also like the idea of producing the a desert for her and its safe to eat. I don't know much or anything really about diabetes, just that she drinks the sugar free option on soft drinks

#52 User is offline   Cause 

• Elder God

Posted 30 January 2019 - 02:23 PM

Id say abandon the ice cream if sugar is so integral.

I believe diabetics can get away with a decently reciped cheesecake or cake of any sort really.

#53 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits

Posted 30 January 2019 - 02:36 PM

oooo, cheesecake is always nice

#54 User is offline   Messremb 

• Honorary Symp of High House Mafia
  • High Artificer of Team Quick Ben

Posted 31 January 2019 - 05:20 PM

View PostMacros, on 30 January 2019 - 02:19 PM, said:

I could ask her but I also like the idea of producing the a desert for her and its safe to eat. I don't know much or anything really about diabetes, just that she drinks the sugar free option on soft drinks

Type 1 or 2? Type 1 then put as much sugar in as you want and just give her a clue roughly how much in her portion so she can have enough insulin for it. Type 2 then yeah cut it down.
"see that stranger's arm crushing the life from him - do you understand? Not an eternal prison for Messremb"

#55 User is offline   Lady Bliss 

• Shameless Minister of Silly Catwalks of the Abyssmal Army
  • Group: The Abyssmal Army

Posted 31 January 2019 - 06:58 PM

I know you'd like to make it a surprise, but I would probably check with her on dietary constraints just to be safe. That way you know there isn't anything in the meal that she won't be able to eat.
"If you prick us do we not bleed? If you tickle us do we not laugh? If you poison us do we not die? And if you wrong us shall we not revenge?" - Shylock

#56 User is offline   D'rek 

• Consort of High House Mafia
  • Group: Super Moderators

Posted 31 January 2019 - 10:31 PM

What's the best way to cook asparagus, if I'm someone who doesn't especially like nor particularly dislike asparagus (so far)?

View Postworrywort, on 14 September 2012 - 08:07 PM, said:

I kinda love it when D'rek unleashes her nerd wrath, as I knew she would here. Sorry innocent bystanders, but someone's gotta be the kindling.

#57 User is offline   Traveller 

• exile
  • Group: Malazan Artist

Posted 31 January 2019 - 10:45 PM

If they're not trimmed, bend them until they snap at a natural break near the thicker end - it gets rid of the tougher bit. Then I usually stick them in boiling water for about 4 mins, like doing broccoli. Any more and all the good stuff gets lost, but enough to cook them through and soften a bit. Or you can steam them.

I really like green veg like beans, aparagus, broccoli, with a bit of olive oil/butter and a small amount of salt, but that's just me.

This post has been edited by Traveller: 31 January 2019 - 10:48 PM

So that's the story. And what was the real lesson? Don't leave things in the fridge.

#58 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 31 January 2019 - 11:01 PM

If done right, asparagus is excellent grilled. But then again, most foods are better when grilled Posted Image. As alluded to, make sure to snap them off and discard the 'woody' part. It's pretty straight forward to find that sweet spot.

#59 User is offline   D'rek 

• Consort of High House Mafia
  • Group: Super Moderators

Posted 01 February 2019 - 12:34 AM

What happens if I do the snappy thing and then slow cook it?

View Postworrywort, on 14 September 2012 - 08:07 PM, said:

I kinda love it when D'rek unleashes her nerd wrath, as I knew she would here. Sorry innocent bystanders, but someone's gotta be the kindling.

#60 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 01 February 2019 - 01:03 AM

I don't recommend slow cooking. Asparagus gets mushy and gross when slow cooked. If grilling is not an option, I recommend blanching or steaming and spritz some fresh lemon and maybe brush with melted butter or throw a pat of butter in (and of course salt and pepper). Blanching or steaming will leave them with a fresh 'snappiness' that is desirable. You may want to try working with just a couple to see how they taste to you, adjust as appropriate. But slow cooking? uh, no, just no.

[EDIT] Another great option is to put them on a baking sheet and hit them with the broiler in the oven (with similar seasonings ), and be sure to turn them of course.

This post has been edited by Malankazooie: 01 February 2019 - 01:07 AM

Share this topic:

• 10 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users