• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Guns, control and culture.

#1001 User is offline   Morgoth 

• executor emeritus
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 18 March 2019 - 08:33 AM

View PostAptorian, on 18 March 2019 - 06:14 AM, said:

We're talking about Islamic terrorism because on a global scale, Islamic terror and violence is a hell of a lot more prevalent than white hate crimes... So far.

Well that's not really true, at least not for the West. Sure, in predominantly muslim countries Islamic terror is much more prevalent, but if you look at the actual statistics for Europe et.al. the numbers look very different. Attacks motivated by far right ideologies are more common than the islamic version in places like Germany, France, England, Norway and so on and so forth. I don't know the statistics for the US, but it certainly seems to be the case there too.
Take good care to keep relations civil
It's decent in the first of gentlemen
To speak friendly, Even to the devil

#1002 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 18 March 2019 - 08:37 AM

Tangential, but interesting. One can only hope this individual meets a karma-appropriate fate.

https://www.news.com...e6194c42b3c2241

EDIT: and what a thoroughly charming cesspool of like-minded fucktards that "Kiwi Farms" forum is. Ugh. A toxic circle-jerk.

This post has been edited by Tsundoku: 18 March 2019 - 08:59 AM

"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"Well well well ... if it ain't The Invisible C**t." - Billy Butcher, The Boys

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#1003 User is offline   Maark Abbott 

• Part Time Catgirl
  • Interests:Redacted

Posted 18 March 2019 - 08:38 AM

View PostMorgoth, on 18 March 2019 - 08:33 AM, said:

We're talking about Islamic terrorism because on a global scale, Islamic terror and violence is a hell of a lot more prevalent than white hate crimes... So far.

Well that's not really true, at least not for the West. Sure, in predominantly muslim countries Islamic terror is much more prevalent, but if you look at the actual statistics for Europe et.al. the numbers look very different. Attacks motivated by far right ideologies are more common than the islamic version in places like Germany, France, England, Norway and so on and so forth. I don't know the statistics for the US, but it certainly seems to be the case there too.

It's a relatively simple matter of publication vs prevalence. MSM is inherently right wing (UK at least) so the 'others' doing bad things gets a lot more press covfefe.
Debut novel 'Incarnate' now available on Kindle

#1004 User is offline   Morgoth 

• executor emeritus

Posted 18 March 2019 - 09:18 AM

View PostMaark Abbott, on 18 March 2019 - 08:38 AM, said:

View PostMorgoth, on 18 March 2019 - 08:33 AM, said:

It's a relatively simple matter of publication vs prevalence. MSM is inherently right wing (UK at least) so the 'others' doing bad things gets a lot more press covfefe.

In Norway we do not have a single example of islamic inspired terror, or violence for that matter. No murders, no attempted murders, no shooting or bombings. We do however have our fair share of far right violence, including our only act of terror. And yet, somehow, Muslims are the real threat even here.

#1005 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 18 March 2019 - 09:20 AM

Denmark is a bit more on edge because of the Muhammed Drawing shitstorm, though so far we've only had a few small incidents here.

This post has been edited by Aptorian: 18 March 2019 - 09:20 AM

#1006 User is offline   Gorefest 

• Witness

Posted 18 March 2019 - 12:17 PM

Shit, they appear to have hit Utrecht (Netherlands) now. Still got a lot of friends and acquaintances living there. Most of them have reported in saying they are fine. Damn. Gunman (or men) are still at large.

https://www.bbc.co.u...europe-47611811

This post has been edited by Gorefest: 18 March 2019 - 12:18 PM

Yesterday, upon the stair, I saw a man who wasn't there. He wasn't there again today. Oh, how I wish he'd go away.

#1007 User is offline   Gorefest 

• Witness

Posted 18 March 2019 - 12:19 PM

I used to take those trams every day to uni. Scary shit. They are usually crammed full with students on a Monday morning.

This post has been edited by Gorefest: 18 March 2019 - 12:19 PM

Yesterday, upon the stair, I saw a man who wasn't there. He wasn't there again today. Oh, how I wish he'd go away.

#1008 User is offline   Cause 

• Elder God

Posted 18 March 2019 - 02:57 PM

Revenge shooting seems likely motive.

Very fast. The radicals are radicalizing each other

#1009 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 18 March 2019 - 04:50 PM

If only they could kill one another instead of civilians.

#1010 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 18 March 2019 - 08:09 PM

Man that shooting is awful. Hope everyone you know is okay, Gorefest.

To contribute to the stats issue for the US, if anyone's interested (and if not, in light of events, I'll spoiler it):
Spoiler

They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#1011 User is offline   Mezla PigDog 

• Malazan Yo Yo Champion 2009
  • Group: Mezla's Thought Police

Posted 18 March 2019 - 10:50 PM

I read an article with similar stats, Worry. Our view of terrorism is seriously skewed. I can't find it to link but it also said that terrorism in the West was historically highest in the 60s and 70s. I wasn't born until 1980 but that statistic feels really wrong to me even though it isn't. Terrorism feels a lot more scary now even though in the 80s and early 90s in the UK you couldn't go shopping in a big city without the risk of a bomb scare. It felt completely normal back then and I never felt in danger and didn't really think about it. I do recall my sister and I used to play plane hijacking with our barbies! Now I'm not sure I ever go on the London Underground and don't think about a bomb going off for at least a moment. And it's always related to Islamic fundamentalist terror, never some white nutter.

I'm going to blame 24 hour news.

This post has been edited by Mezla PigDog: 18 March 2019 - 10:51 PM

Burn rubber =/= warp speed

#1012 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits

Posted 19 March 2019 - 06:48 AM

That reminds me of a conversation I had with Dibs a long time, possibly when we met sombra or trem for a beer in Belfast.
His girlfriend wouldnt fly, for what I gathered she was terrified of a terrorist on a plane ala 9/11 type situation.
A woman who grew up in NI during the troubles was worried about an Islamic terrorist threat and wouldn't fly because of it. I recall being baffled at the time

#1013 User is offline   Morgoth 

• executor emeritus

Posted 19 March 2019 - 07:39 AM

I miss DiBs. He had some really good thoughts about stuff.

#1014 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits

Posted 19 March 2019 - 08:25 AM

Yeah

#1015 User is offline   Illuyankas 

• Retro Classic
  • Group: The Hateocracy of Truth
  • Will cluck you up

Posted 19 March 2019 - 06:06 PM

At least you've got my very bad thoughts occasionally to help out

As to the point, if a commentator refuses to acknowledge the racial aspect of Islamophobia despite the copious amounts of available evidence than you're better off finding a commentator who isn't wilfully dense
Hello, soldiers, look at your mage, now back to me, now back at your mage, now back to me. Sadly, he isn’t me, but if he stopped being an unascended mortal and switched to Sole Spice, he could smell like he’s me. Look down, back up, where are you? You’re in a warren with the High Mage your cadre mage could smell like. What’s in your hand, back at me. I have it, it’s an acorn with two gates to that realm you love. Look again, the acorn is now otataral. Anything is possible when your mage smells like Sole Spice and not a Bole brother. I’m on a quorl.

#1016 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 27 March 2019 - 11:01 PM

They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#1017 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 28 March 2019 - 04:55 AM

The NRA is a terrorist organization.

#1018 User is offline   Slow Ben 

• Ranger

Posted 01 May 2019 - 02:38 AM

Another day in America, another shooting.

https://www.cbsnews....day-2019-04-30/

This post has been edited by Slow Ben: 01 May 2019 - 02:38 AM

I've always been crazy but its kept me from going insane.

#1019 User is offline   HoosierDaddy 

• Believer
  • Interests:Football

Posted 01 May 2019 - 12:14 PM

If I needed to break into a prepper bunker, what all would I need?
Trouble arrives when the opponents to such a system institute its extreme opposite, where individualism becomes godlike and sacrosanct, and no greater service to any other ideal (including community) is possible. In such a system rapacious greed thrives behind the guise of freedom, and the worst aspects of human nature come to the fore....

#1020 User is offline   Obdigore 

• ThunderBear

Posted 01 May 2019 - 07:02 PM

View PostHoosierDaddy, on 01 May 2019 - 12:14 PM, said:

If I needed to break into a prepper bunker, what all would I need?

I think just 'Sweet Home Alabama' by Skynnard on a boombox. They'll open the door up themselves.
Monster Hunter World Iceborne: It's like hunting monsters, but on crack, but the monsters are also on crack.

Share this topic:

• 73 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users