• « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Guns, control and culture.

#1041 User is offline   Andorion 

• God
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Interests:All things Malazan, sundry sci-fi and fantasy, history, Iron Maiden

Posted 09 May 2019 - 12:11 PM

View PostTsundoku, on 09 May 2019 - 10:43 AM, said:

View PostAndorion, on 09 May 2019 - 09:30 AM, said:

View PostMaark Abbott, on 09 May 2019 - 07:10 AM, said:

View PostIlluyankas, on 07 May 2019 - 09:40 PM, said:

Capitalism's still killed more people, even if all those stats were accurate.

Capitalism also sells guns.

I think you will find that a brisk trade in weapons predates capitalism.

Well, strictly speaking it was always capitalism. It just hadn't been labelled yet.

Not entirely sure.

There's a bunch of stuff like possessive individualism or the concept of the humanistic individual, Lockean liberalism that all contributed to what we now know as capitalism. (By liberal I mean classical Adam Smith liberal, not Democrat liberal) These concepts were largely the product of the Reformation and the Renaissance.

Its not that we did not have business before. The great Roman trade, the huge Arabian trade Empire in the Indian Ocean - all of that, but the individualistic, only profit-oriented capitalistic model is a lot more recent.

#1042 User is offline   Mezla PigDog 

• Malazan Yo Yo Champion 2009
  • Group: Mezla's Thought Police

Posted 09 May 2019 - 02:59 PM

Did Ando just do a mic drop?
Burn rubber =/= warp speed

#1043 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 09 May 2019 - 06:20 PM

The history buffs on the board are getting a little too big for their britches lately!
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#1044 User is offline   Maark Abbott 

• Part Time Catgirl
  • Interests:Redacted

Posted 10 May 2019 - 07:31 AM

We could also be incessantly facetious and use the term 'pop a cap-italism' in argument on Ando's point.
Debut novel 'Incarnate' now available on Kindle

#1045 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 10 May 2019 - 09:06 AM

View PostAndorion, on 09 May 2019 - 12:11 PM, said:

Its not that we did not have business before. The great Roman trade, the huge Arabian trade Empire in the Indian Ocean - all of that, but the individualistic, only profit-oriented capitalistic model is a lot more recent.

Fair enough. However I believe that private control of the means of production, leading to the pursuit of wealth for it's own sake has been with humanity forever.
Post medieval "industrialisation" just made it more obvious and efficient.

Depends how tightly or loosely you define it I guess.
"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"Well well well ... if it ain't The Invisible C**t." - Billy Butcher, The Boys

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#1046 User is offline   Andorion 

• God

Posted 10 May 2019 - 09:46 AM

View PostTsundoku, on 10 May 2019 - 09:06 AM, said:

Fair enough. However I believe that private control of the means of production, leading to the pursuit of wealth for it's own sake has been with humanity forever.
Post medieval "industrialisation" just made it more obvious and efficient.

Depends how tightly or loosely you define it I guess.

Actually I think the concept of private property is far more complicated than what most people think.

Throughout medieval times, in Europe, land was the primary means of production and that was not really a transferable commodity. Widespread feudal serf-subsistence agriculture was the principal economic feature. Technically the feudal lords "owned" these lands, but they could not be sold, they could be transerred by marriage or inheritance. And land ownership rarely translated into moneymaking schemes. This was subsistence level stuff. Only after the 12th Century do we see large scale overland trade in surplus. In the cities, both crafts and trade were regulated by guilds.

Outside the west, the concept of individual private property meant something very different. In practice, families, castes, clans and professional groups owned property and managed the economy. The modern entrepreneur would be meaningless there. A merchant was defined by the community he belonged in. Craftsmen lived and worked as groups.

Even here, lets look at the primary means of production - Land. In India, land was not an owned commodity. Different groups had different rights to the land. The emperor had a right to the revenue, the local feudal lord had a right to his traditional dues, the local landlord had his rights and the peasant had the right not be thrown off the land but to cultivate it and keep his own portion of the produce.

This is what the colonizing British did not get. In Britain in the 16th century, after Henry VIII threw the Church of Rome out and confiscated the huge land of the monasteries and then this was sold to the gentry, who enclosed it and started farming. The "improving landlord" model had its birth here, in the enclosure movement which rapidly sought to take "commons" land and enclose it to make it private. In Britain land was private property, to be owned, exploited and improved. This is possessive individualism and in Locke and his contemporaries, you get lots of references to taking over "waste" land, "waste" being a code phrase to mean any land not owned and "improved"
This concept was attempted to be applied in India. In 1793 they concluded the disastrous Permanent Settlement in Bengal which tried to define the landlord as class as the land owners conditional on payment of revenue and peasants could be evicted. This settlement ignored a gigantic cluster of traditional rights and obligations, and caused a huge amount of misery.

So, no the concept of the private ownership of means of production can't be very easily generalized. Most of what is seen as normal capitalistic practice had its ideological birth in the 15th-16th centuries in West and matured from there.

#1047 User is offline   Cause 

• Elder God

Posted 10 May 2019 - 10:09 AM

View PostTsundoku, on 09 May 2019 - 10:43 AM, said:

View PostAndorion, on 09 May 2019 - 09:30 AM, said:

View PostMaark Abbott, on 09 May 2019 - 07:10 AM, said:

View PostIlluyankas, on 07 May 2019 - 09:40 PM, said:

Capitalism's still killed more people, even if all those stats were accurate.

Capitalism also sells guns.

I think you will find that a brisk trade in weapons predates capitalism.

Well, strictly speaking it was always capitalism. It just hadn't been labelled yet.

Not entirely sure.

There's a bunch of stuff like possessive individualism or the concept of the humanistic individual, Lockean liberalism that all contributed to what we now know as capitalism. (By liberal I mean classical Adam Smith liberal, not Democrat liberal) These concepts were largely the product of the Reformation and the Renaissance.

NERD ALERT!!!

#1048 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 10 May 2019 - 10:17 AM

Yes, but ... wasn't the whole of the period between the fall of Rome and the Renaissance considered a "dark" age (in the west anyway) because it was so aberrant and backward. Look at Rome, and a few other places around the traps and tell me there's no straight up capitalism going on there. Hell, some of those guys were supposedly so rich and monopolists/oligopolists that you didn't see a re-emergence of that sort of obscene concentration of wealth and production until the robber barons of the American West, building up to the massively overinflated multinationals we have now. Especially those with only a few owners.

Man, some of those old Economic History lectures 25+ years ago did sink in. Some.
Can't comment on Asia etc of course though, obviously my education was a bit western-centric.

EDIT: apologies for the driest of tangents.

This post has been edited by Tsundoku: 10 May 2019 - 10:18 AM

"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#1049 User is offline   Andorion 

• God

Posted 10 May 2019 - 01:10 PM

View PostTsundoku, on 10 May 2019 - 10:17 AM, said:

Yes, but ... wasn't the whole of the period between the fall of Rome and the Renaissance considered a "dark" age (in the west anyway) because it was so aberrant and backward. Look at Rome, and a few other places around the traps and tell me there's no straight up capitalism going on there. Hell, some of those guys were supposedly so rich and monopolists/oligopolists that you didn't see a re-emergence of that sort of obscene concentration of wealth and production until the robber barons of the American West, building up to the massively overinflated multinationals we have now. Especially those with only a few owners.

Man, some of those old Economic History lectures 25+ years ago did sink in. Some.
Can't comment on Asia etc of course though, obviously my education was a bit western-centric.

EDIT: apologies for the driest of tangents.

I'll be totally honest - my historical training regarding ancient Rome and Greece is far too sparse and vague for me to reply properly.

And since this is the Guns thread and this is a pretty big digression, how about postponing this discussion for later, maybe in a thread of its own? I can't really say anything further without some reading up anyway

#1050 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon

Posted 10 May 2019 - 01:56 PM

Woah that was sparse knowledge Ando? Impressive...
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#1051 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 10 May 2019 - 02:12 PM

View PostTsundoku, on 10 May 2019 - 10:17 AM, said:

Yes, but ... wasn't the whole of the period between the fall of Rome and the Renaissance considered a "dark" age (in the west anyway) because it was so aberrant and backward.

This was a moniker was actually labelled on much later by biased scholars that revered Ancient Rome (and Ancient Greece). The area which was dominated at the time by Frankish, Germanic, and Celtic peoples may not have had as high a literacy rate as Ancient Rome (or Greece), and may have let things like Roman concrete fade, but the whole area flourished over the years with art, science, and other social standards eventually leading to the Carolingian dynasty and such. Basically calling it the Dark Ages was a way for Renaissance scholars to revere Rome and Greece of Antiquity, and claim that anything else between then and now (The Renaissance) was bad or chaotic and a lawless wasteland for civilization. This was not remotely the case, and in fact the absence of Rome as an empire allowed localities and cultures to flourish in a less homogenized way.

This post has been edited by QuickTidal: 10 May 2019 - 02:14 PM

"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#1052 User is offline   Andorion 

• God

Posted 10 May 2019 - 03:09 PM

View PostTiste Simeon, on 10 May 2019 - 01:56 PM, said:

Woah that was sparse knowledge Ando? Impressive...

Academically? Yeah. I know Indian and modern European, to an extent American history, I have basic knowledge of medieval European history, some ancient Greece, but very sparse about Rome.

To comment on an issue about the nature of ancient commercial activity and how capitalist it was, you need to know both economic norms as well as socio-cultural concepts. That requires reading at least 2 university level research based books.
Its the way my UG and PG syllabus was structured - nothing on Rome.

#1053 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 10 May 2019 - 03:12 PM

I think the virtual ogliarchy of some of Rome's great men suggest capitalism has been a problem for thousands of years
And hellnif we aren't getting back to that level of inequality.

But back to guns
Guns are bad

#1054 User is offline   Illuyankas 

• Retro Classic
  • Group: The Hateocracy of Truth
  • Will cluck you up

Posted 10 May 2019 - 08:13 PM

The only good capitalism is decapitalism *gestures at guillotine*

Which is superior to the traditional firing squad as it removes random chance from messing things up or causing unnecessary suffering

Plus it's a lot harder to shoot dozens of children with
Hello, soldiers, look at your mage, now back to me, now back at your mage, now back to me. Sadly, he isn’t me, but if he stopped being an unascended mortal and switched to Sole Spice, he could smell like he’s me. Look down, back up, where are you? You’re in a warren with the High Mage your cadre mage could smell like. What’s in your hand, back at me. I have it, it’s an acorn with two gates to that realm you love. Look again, the acorn is now otataral. Anything is possible when your mage smells like Sole Spice and not a Bole brother. I’m on a quorl.

#1055 User is offline   Maark Abbott 

• Part Time Catgirl
  • Interests:Redacted

Posted 13 May 2019 - 07:22 AM

View PostIlluyankas, on 10 May 2019 - 08:13 PM, said:

The only good capitalism is decapitalism *gestures at guillotine*

Which is superior to the traditional firing squad as it removes random chance from messing things up or causing unnecessary suffering

Plus it's a lot harder to shoot dozens of children with

This is perfect.
Debut novel 'Incarnate' now available on Kindle

#1056 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 16 May 2019 - 07:29 PM

Former SCOTUS Justice Stevens on the worst decision of the court during his tenure: https://www.theatlan...control/587272/
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#1057 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon

Posted 01 June 2019 - 09:16 AM

Another mass shooting in Virginia. Must be what freedom feels like. :lol: Hope no forum members are there.
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#1058 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 01 June 2019 - 09:29 AM

Yup, he freed the shit out of them. :lol:

Another day, another massacre in the USA.

I'd hate to live in a country knowing I was just one random nutjob's bad day away from catching a round.
Or multiple rounds, because hey - dozens of assault rifles are totally legit ways to protect yourself amirite?

#1059 User is offline   Illuyankas 

• Retro Classic
  • Group: The Hateocracy of Truth
  • Will cluck you up

Posted 01 June 2019 - 03:50 PM

But you don't understand, my right to have a hobby trumps your child's right to be alive
Hello, soldiers, look at your mage, now back to me, now back at your mage, now back to me. Sadly, he isn’t me, but if he stopped being an unascended mortal and switched to Sole Spice, he could smell like he’s me. Look down, back up, where are you? You’re in a warren with the High Mage your cadre mage could smell like. What’s in your hand, back at me. I have it, it’s an acorn with two gates to that realm you love. Look again, the acorn is now otataral. Anything is possible when your mage smells like Sole Spice and not a Bole brother. I’m on a quorl.

#1060 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 01 June 2019 - 05:45 PM

To be fair, in Trump's America, keeping a military grade weapons stockpile might be prudent.

Share this topic:

• 73 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users