• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Guns, control and culture.

#241 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 12 June 2016 - 04:20 PM

This was a hate crime and now already the second deadliest shooting worldwide.

Awful, awful news to wake up to and it's the 173rd mass shooting in 2016. 173.
I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

#242 User is offline   Andorion 

• God
  • Interests:All things Malazan, sundry sci-fi and fantasy, history, Iron Maiden

Posted 12 June 2016 - 04:52 PM

I posted a link to the Groove thread. Horrible thing to happen

Seems the guy is a Muslim. Wondering if that is a factor?

#243 User is offline   Hairshirt 

• Lieutenant

Posted 12 June 2016 - 06:12 PM

Apparently the shooter called 911 and pledged his allegiance to ISIS during the standoff. So we can assume Islam was a factor, considering their stance on homosexuality and tossing them off buildings, stonings and other various horrendous acts.

#244 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 13 June 2016 - 11:08 AM

I predict the NRA will - after several days of careful deliberation and soul-searching - commiserate with the victims but use this to ask for even more, deadlier weapons to be available without any form of background checks.

Because as we all know the only way to stop a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun. And just look how many times good guys with legal weapons have stopped mass shootings. Amirite?

I wonder what the Republicans et al will make of this because a bunch of gays (unChristian sodomites) getting whacked in a nightclub (lewdness, criminals and drugs, of course) in Florida (full of Cubans and Democrats) by a Muslim is like their masturbation material, right?

This post has been edited by Tsundoku: 13 June 2016 - 11:10 AM

"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"Well well well ... if it ain't The Invisible C**t." - Billy Butcher, The Boys

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#245 User is offline   Cause 

• Elder God

Posted 13 June 2016 - 12:10 PM

Its very scary. In light of the terror warnings in My country I was discussing with a friend, who is a security consultant, that a mass shooting is a very effective terror weapon often as, if not more effective than bombs. Requires no training and little budget.

I reckon any one with a will to kill and a willingness to die. Plus between 1 and 3 thousand dollars could walk into any public place in my country with an ak47 and start shooting people. Effective police response time would probably be over ten minutes and Closer to 30.

I imagine the same is true for practically anywhere.

#246 User is offline   Gorefest 

• Witness

Posted 13 June 2016 - 12:54 PM

Don't think it is that easy to acquire guns in most Western European countries. There was this French bloke the other week who'd traveled out to Ukrain to obtain a small arsenal for use during Euro2016 and he got done in.
Yesterday, upon the stair, I saw a man who wasn't there. He wasn't there again today. Oh, how I wish he'd go away.

#247 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 13 June 2016 - 02:21 PM

View PostTsundoku, on 13 June 2016 - 11:08 AM, said:

I predict the NRA will - after several days of careful deliberation and soul-searching - commiserate with the victims but use this to ask for even more, deadlier weapons to be available without any form of background checks.

Because as we all know the only way to stop a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun. And just look how many times good guys with legal weapons have stopped mass shootings. Amirite?

I wonder what the Republicans et al will make of this because a bunch of gays (unChristian sodomites) getting whacked in a nightclub (lewdness, criminals and drugs, of course) in Florida (full of Cubans and Democrats) by a Muslim is like their masturbation material, right?

Well, in keeping with the trend of "Today we are all Parisians" and Today we are all Belgians" I fully expect the Republicans to come out with a strong statement that "Today we are all Latino LGBT Floridians!!!".

...or not.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#248 User is offline   Tapper 

• Lover of High House Mafia
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 13 June 2016 - 02:42 PM

View PostAbyss, on 13 June 2016 - 02:21 PM, said:

View PostTsundoku, on 13 June 2016 - 11:08 AM, said:

Well, in keeping with the trend of "Today we are all Parisians" and Today we are all Belgians" I fully expect the Republicans to come out with a strong statement that "Today we are all Latino LGBT Floridians!!!".

...or not.

Now that would be beautiful. I bet they get no further than "We're all... people."
Everyone is entitled to his own wrong opinion. - Lizrad

#249 User is offline   Gorefest 

• Witness

Posted 13 June 2016 - 02:54 PM

Yeah, it's a bit odd. If they had targeted a synagogue it would be an anti semitic terrorist attack, if they had targeted a mosque it would have been an anti islamic terrorist attack, now they target a gay club and all the media outlets are tumbling over themselves in their efforts to portray that it is a terrorist attack against 'human beings'. And if someone even claims that it is a targeted attack on the LGBT community they get shouted down for being narrow-minded. Hrm. It still feels like a weird sort of latent homophobia to me from the media, to stress the terrorist side of things while glossing over the choice of target.
Yesterday, upon the stair, I saw a man who wasn't there. He wasn't there again today. Oh, how I wish he'd go away.

#250 User is offline   Hairshirt 

• Lieutenant

Posted 13 June 2016 - 07:03 PM

I disagree, it's more complicated than just it was a hate crime against LBGT or it's is just terrorism. It's both really, it's an attack against LBGT specifically because of this terrorists extreme religious leanings. I don't think a reporter saying terrorism instead of homophobia is that big of a difference, it's implied for me at least. What's wierd is as I'm sitting on my car typing this on my lunch hour the news reports have mentioned the attack 3 times already and each time have referenced the attack took place at a gay bar, or that the targets were homosexual. The fact that the victims were gay isn't being hidden.

#251 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 13 June 2016 - 08:42 PM

It's not all media at all, but there is a specific segment - Fox News and co - that is being all outraged by the attack but not acknowledging the specific group that was attacked. It's a club, not a gay club, the victims were people, not gays... etc. So some of the media narrative is focusing on the media narrative... media Ouroboros if you will.

There are a thousand places in Orlando he could have gone to that would have been as public, as busy, as easy a target or easier. He didn't pick those.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#252 User is offline   Nicodimas 

• Soletaken
  • https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=XbGs_qK2PQA

Posted 13 June 2016 - 09:01 PM

View PostAbyss, on 13 June 2016 - 08:42 PM, said:

It's not all media at all, but there is a specific segment - Fox News and co - that is being all outraged by the attack but not acknowledging the specific group that was attacked. It's a club, not a gay club, the victims were people, not gays... etc. So some of the media narrative is focusing on the media narrative... media Ouroboros if you will.

There are a thousand places in Orlando he could have gone to that would have been as public, as busy, as easy a target or easier. He didn't pick those.

I consider this a Hate crime first, 2nd terrorist attack since he swore his allegiance to ISIS.

Truly a tragedy and prayers out to victims and their families. The background on the club itself is really touching and I emplore everyone to read about it. I wish the media focused more about this part.

@ Abyss: Hearing that he also *scouted* DisneyWorld too. Super sad.

My thoughts:
Spoiler
-If it's ka it'll come like a wind, and your plans will stand before it no more than a barn before a cyclone

#253 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 13 June 2016 - 09:24 PM

Hate crimes are terrorism. The reasons for differentiating between them are sociopolitical, with assumptions about victims and perpetrators baked in. It's shameful.
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#254 User is offline   Hairshirt 

• Lieutenant

Posted 13 June 2016 - 11:11 PM

View Postworry, on 13 June 2016 - 09:24 PM, said:

Hate crimes are terrorism. The reasons for differentiating between them are sociopolitical, with assumptions about victims and perpetrators baked in. It's shameful.

Exactly. Unfortunately in the States the media is either far left or far right even with the vast majority falling in the middle. On the left the narrative is gun control, and shock at "how could this possibly happen???" On the right it's "Look it's true! All Muslims are terrorists!" Both narratives play to what their percieved audience, in the case of news networks or to electorate in the case of politicians. The majority of us are left scratching our heads trying to get down to the truth which is usually somewhere in between. Islamic extremism is a major problem and does actually exist, and it wouldn't hurt to actually do some tougher background checks for purchasing weapons.

#255 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 13 June 2016 - 11:37 PM

I don't really agree that the media are far left and far right (more like mediocre kowtowing moderate liberals & the corporate racist fear-mongering right) -- it'd take a miracle to give us a true left major news source -- but yeah they do like to boil things down to 1 to 1.5 issues and leave it at that. Or they treat it like a pie chart, where if you add 5 points to mental health you have to subtract 5 points from other issues.
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#256 User is offline   LinearPhilosopher 

• House Knight
  • Interests:Everything.

Posted 14 June 2016 - 12:53 AM

View Postworry, on 13 June 2016 - 11:37 PM, said:

I don't really agree that the media are far left and far right (more like mediocre kowtowing moderate liberals & the corporate racist fear-mongering right) -- it'd take a miracle to give us a true left major news source -- but yeah they do like to boil things down to 1 to 1.5 issues and leave it at that. Or they treat it like a pie chart, where if you add 5 points to mental health you have to subtract 5 points from other issues.

TYT's pretty left.

Still another issue and i doubt the status quo will so much as budge. Rather than tragedies being the mechanism for change, they are mechanisms that reinforce existing systems. Which in turn ensure that tragedies will continue to occur.

This post has been edited by LinearPhilosopher: 14 June 2016 - 12:55 AM

#257 User is offline   Nicodimas 

• Soletaken
  • https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=XbGs_qK2PQA

Posted 14 June 2016 - 01:35 AM

View PostHairshirt, on 13 June 2016 - 11:11 PM, said:

View Postworry, on 13 June 2016 - 09:24 PM, said:

Exactly. Unfortunately in the States the media is either far left or far right even with the vast majority falling in the middle. On the left the narrative is gun control, and shock at "how could this possibly happen???" On the right it's "Look it's true! All Muslims are terrorists!" Both narratives play to what their percieved audience, in the case of news networks or to electorate in the case of politicians. The majority of us are left scratching our heads trying to get down to the truth which is usually somewhere in between. Islamic extremism is a major problem and does actually exist, and it wouldn't hurt to actually do some tougher background checks for purchasing weapons.

I have no problem with adding tougher background information, but here is the thing: If this guy was interviewed 1-3 times by the FBI and I guess absolved.( I don't know how this interview, or probe went in any shape or form. I just have an idea in my head...). How is a background check of any sort not going to be beaten by a semi-intelligent driven person? I am really left pondering this point in particular as everyone here should be if the above is remotely true.

The authorities are going to deconstruct everything that led to this and I am going to let them do their thing.
-If it's ka it'll come like a wind, and your plans will stand before it no more than a barn before a cyclone

#258 User is offline   Cause 

• Elder God

Posted 14 June 2016 - 08:41 AM

The problem though, Nicodimas, is that I believe statistically you are still more likely to be a victim of your own gun than a mass shooting terrorist or even a crime. Whether suicide, shot by your own child or having your gun turned on you by the criminals you bought it to protect yourself from. The truth is that 9/10 gun owners, probably more, should not own them. I know your a firm believer in training but the average gun owner buys a gun, shoots 50 rounds at the range a year and leaves their gun in a draw in their office or next to the bed.

That said realising how vulnerable I would be to a shooter in a mall or the like, I do feel like I should own one. The reality is though for the other 99.99% of the time for me it would just be a liability.

#259 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits

Posted 14 June 2016 - 09:01 AM

This might have been made up, but I had someone tout a statistic you're still 30* more likely to be shot by a cop than a terrorist in America?

#260 User is offline   Gust Hubb 

• Necromancer Extraordinaire
  • View gallery
  • Interests:Glass slides with entrapped bits of colored tissue
  • Around, just quiet....er

Posted 14 June 2016 - 12:51 PM

Depends on what race you are Macros.
"You don't clean u other peoples messes.... You roll in them like a dog on leftover smoked whitefish torn out f the trash by raccoons after Sunday brunch on a hot day."
~Abyss

Share this topic:

• 73 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

17 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 17 guests, 0 anonymous users