Malazan Empire: WHEEL OF TIME TV series watching thread (spoilers!) - Malazan Empire

• 32 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

WHEEL OF TIME TV series watching thread (spoilers!) (was: 'So, the WHEEL OF TIME TV series is a go at Sony' thread

#281 User is offline   TheRetiredBridgeburner 

• House Knight
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 28 October 2021 - 07:09 AM

I liked that trailer much more than the Winternight one. Use of the One Power looks less Avatar: The Last Airbender in that one. Very much on board for watching the first few at the very least!

EDIT: Anybody know who Blondie who was talking about "servants of all" is?

This post has been edited by TheRetiredBridgeburner: 28 October 2021 - 07:10 AM

- Wyrd bið ful aræd -

#282 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 28 October 2021 - 07:55 AM

I think they were saying Aes Sedai means Servants of All or something.

Which - thinking about it - wasn't that explained in The Shadow Rising (?) with all those flashbacks to the time of legends?

This post has been edited by Tsundoku: 28 October 2021 - 07:56 AM

"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"Well well well ... if it ain't The Invisible C**t." - Billy Butcher, The Boys

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#283 User is offline   TheRetiredBridgeburner 

• House Knight

Posted 28 October 2021 - 07:58 AM

View PostTsundoku, on 28 October 2021 - 07:55 AM, said:

I think they were saying Aes Sedai means Servants of All or something.

Which - thinking about it - wasn't that explained in The Shadow Rising (?) with all those flashbacks to the time of legends?

Yes, that's him - I was wondering which character it is. Only blonde chap I could think of this early was Gawyn and he's too old to be him. Maybe a Warder?

My memory of the series is poor but that flashback stuff sounds right.

This post has been edited by TheRetiredBridgeburner: 28 October 2021 - 07:59 AM

- Wyrd bið ful aræd -

#284 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 28 October 2021 - 08:44 AM

There's only one thing to do, our only hope.

I cast: Summon Terez.

:sorcerer:

This post has been edited by Tsundoku: 28 October 2021 - 08:44 AM

"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#285 User is offline   Avatar 

• High Fist

Posted 28 October 2021 - 09:45 AM

I tried the first book when it just was released, I was around 15, but it didn't catch then. But looking forward to the series, not sure if I will like it, but it was 1 of the reasons to renew my Prime subscription. Just read about the production: almost limitless resources / funds, whole villages built and burned down, just for a episode. It sounds massive!

#286 User is online   Cyphon 

• Cagey Bastard of TQB
  • Group: Team Quick Ben

Posted 28 October 2021 - 10:44 AM

View PostTsundoku, on 28 October 2021 - 08:44 AM, said:

There's only one thing to do, our only hope.

I cast: Summon Terez.

:sorcerer:

I think we should just ask our local Ta'vern to arrange for Terez to appear. Not sure how we find out who they are though. Anyone spoken to any talking humanoid animals recently? Apart from Abyss?
Para todos todo, para nosotros nada.

MottI'd always pegged you as more of an Ublala

#287 User is online   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 28 October 2021 - 11:35 AM

I'm pretty sure that's Thom Merrilin.
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#288 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 15 November 2021 - 01:28 AM

WoT reddit is convinced he's a Warder, double teaming with another Warder for one Aes Sedai. But damn, this Friday we will find out (or soon after). Is Beezows Prime releasing all the episodes at once or will it be classic linear television episodic and so - "tune in next week kiddos for the next spine tingling episode of Wheel of Time"?

Also, does anyone know if in any of the trailers they put out, if a Draghkar makes an appearance?

#289 User is offline   TheRetiredBridgeburner 

• House Knight

Posted 15 November 2021 - 10:22 AM

First three episodes drop all at once on the 19th, then I believe it's weekly from there. And no, I don't think we've seen a Dragkhar yet (I've watched Daniel Greene's roundups and he hasn't mentioned one that I'm aware of, and he knows a lot more what he's looking for than me).
- Wyrd bið ful aræd -

#290 User is online   Cyphon 

• Cagey Bastard of TQB

Posted 15 November 2021 - 01:06 PM

There's a big promo event today where selected WoTers will see at least the first three episodes. Let's see what the verdict is. I know Wert is going to it.

#291 User is offline   TheRetiredBridgeburner 

• House Knight

Posted 16 November 2021 - 08:15 AM

View PostCyphon, on 15 November 2021 - 01:06 PM, said:

There's a big promo event today where selected WoTers will see at least the first three episodes. Let's see what the verdict is. I know Wert is going to it.

Just seen Daniel Greene's initial thoughts video having seen the first two episodes at the London launch. The fact he's as happy as he is with it, and mentions quite a bit of editing has happened post-trailers for the better, makes me feel reasonably confident :)
- Wyrd bið ful aræd -

#292 User is online   Cyphon 

• Cagey Bastard of TQB

Posted 16 November 2021 - 08:32 AM

Yeah the social media buzz seems good from the WoTians. Sounds promising.

I'll still wait for wert's view before I start pushing the hype train out of the station.

This post has been edited by Cyphon: 16 November 2021 - 08:32 AM

#293 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 16 November 2021 - 03:59 PM

BELLA LIVES OR WE RIOTTTTTTTTTTTTT
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#294 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 19 November 2021 - 10:56 AM

So ... anyone watched yet?

#295 User is offline   TheRetiredBridgeburner 

• House Knight

Posted 19 November 2021 - 02:57 PM

Yes - just finished watching the first three episodes.

On the whole, I'd say solid 7.5 to 8 out of 10, and I'm pleasantly surprised. There are some changes that will (and have already) upset purists but to me they are either improvements or they in the very least make sense as either adaption shorthand or updating some book choices. I will be interested to see how someone who hasn't read the book finds it as it's so difficult to tell how it will come across when you don't have the background in your head.

I'll spoiler my specific thoughts for people who haven't watched yet:

Spoiler

This post has been edited by TheRetiredBridgeburner: 19 November 2021 - 02:59 PM

- Wyrd bið ful aræd -

#296 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 19 November 2021 - 03:18 PM

View PostTheRetiredBridgeburner, on 19 November 2021 - 02:57 PM, said:

Yes - just finished watching the first three episodes.

On the whole, I'd say solid 7.5 to 8 out of 10, and I'm pleasantly surprised. There are some changes that will (and have already) upset purists but to me they are either improvements or they in the very least make sense as either adaption shorthand or updating some book choices. I will be interested to see how someone who hasn't read the book finds it as it's so difficult to tell how it will come across when you don't have the background in your head.

I'll spoiler my specific thoughts for people who haven't watched yet:

Spoiler

This gives me hope TRB! Thanks. I'm not going to be checking it out for a while yet (no Prime at the moment), but I'm happy you are enjoying it. And yeah, I don't care about any of the changes really at all, but then I was only ever a fair-weather fan of the books anyways so I was never going to be a purist.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#297 User is offline   Gorefest 

• Witness

Posted 19 November 2021 - 05:07 PM

But let's get to the real question we all want to know: was there any spanking?
Yesterday, upon the stair, I saw a man who wasn't there. He wasn't there again today. Oh, how I wish he'd go away.

#298 User is offline   Werthead 

• Ascendant

Posted 19 November 2021 - 05:18 PM

View PostCyphon, on 16 November 2021 - 08:32 AM, said:

I'll still wait for wert's view before I start pushing the hype train out of the station.

I was under an Amazon NDA, but I should have a review of 101 on Dragonmount this weekend and the first three on my blog next week (I've been trying to get the next three as well, but no luck yet).

The premiere was enormous fun. Spent a lot of time chatting to an American guy called Alan Ritchson. Had no idea who he was until he said he was the next Jack Reacher. I thought I hadn't seen anything he'd been in, until a friend later on told me was the young Sully in BROOKLYN NINE-NINE, which I immediately recognised him from (apparently he's a lead in TITANS and was Aquaman in SMALLVILLE, but I haven't seen those).

Also spent the premiere sitting next to someone who was vaguely familiar and I couldn't place them, but chatted a bit about the show. It was only later I realised it was Dominique Tipper (Naomi) from THE EXPANSE, one of my favourite TV shows of the last five years, which was a total headdesk moment. In my defence, she'd grown out her hair a lot from the show (since they finished filming, presumably they no longer needed their hair to stay the same for continuity) and the lighting was really bad in the cinema.

WoT was pretty solid. I'd rank it better than the equivalent episodes of THE WITCHER and SHADOW & BONE, occasionally reaching the levels of the comparative episodes of GAME OF THRONES but also having some issues with how much lore and worldbuilding to impart and how much not to. My biggest issue was with the change to Perrin's motivation, which felt overly melodramatic. The thing I liked the best was that the show was not afraid to lean back from constant action to have quieter character moments. Moiraine reciting the Fall of Mantheren (in a different time and place to the books though) was probably my highlight, maybe Tam al'Thor's memorial for his wife as well.
Visit The Wertzone for reviews of SF&F books, DVDs and computer games!

"Try standing out in a winter storm all night and see how tough you are. Start with that. Then go into a bar and pick a fight and see how tough you are. And then go home and break crockery over your head. Start with those three and you'll be good to go."
- Bruce Campbell on how to be as cool as he is

#299 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 19 November 2021 - 06:34 PM

Might try make the wife watch this tonight

#300 User is offline   Tapper 

• Lover of High House Mafia
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 19 November 2021 - 08:17 PM

View PostMacros, on 19 November 2021 - 06:34 PM, said:

Might try make the wife watch this tonight

I did that. She stepped out early on in episode 2, which I finished. So far, I very much like it (love Eamon Valda's cartoon villain, dislike the lack of Thom so far) - with the caveat that Rosamund Pike sounds like they asked her to do a copy of the Galadriel/Elrond gravitas, so imho instead of serene and calm she mostly sounds out of place.
Everyone is entitled to his own wrong opinion. - Lizrad

Share this topic:

• 32 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

3 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users