Malazan Empire: The Canada Politics Thread - Malazan Empire

• 47 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

The Canada Politics Thread American politics' smaller less interesting cousin!

#601 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 19 March 2019 - 06:27 PM

The more shit Ford and his Cons pull (autism funding, class sizes ect.) the more I feel so lost in my own family. My mother, step dad, aunts and uncles on that side, sister, bro-in-law, and my wife's family too...they ALL voted for the Conservatives, and they ALL did so with a tribalistic "get back at the Liberals/never NDP" bent. So for shit that will affect me, my wife, my kids, and friends...I have to hold almost my entire extended family responsible...and yet if I even THINK of bringing it up around them in a gathering, I will get "political chatter" slaughtered because my wife and I are the only liberals in a sea of unthinking conservatives.

It's so hard to be able to talk about daycare, healthcare, and school woes (all of which affect us directly) with any of them...because they are partially responsible for those woes.

Like Sister: "How's "my wife's" job going?"..."Oh, well Doug Ford's cuts have put it in jeopardy...but you know...at least you stuck it to the Libs..."

So now I have to avoid most banal conversation about our lives because it ends with me having to essentially bitch out my family for being idiots politically (which I do, and it gets very tiring). I'm kind of waiting for Ford to do something that affects them so I can rub their noses in it how stupid it was to elect such a moron.

Only my dad is on our side (and he did so at my behest because he cares about his grandkids and didn't think Doug Ford would do good things, even though he's always been a Conservative in the past). He voted against his party.

Anyways, every day in some new way Ford finds it in him to be even worse than I imagined. And now with the SNC Lavalin scandal I fear that Scheer is going to get in Federally on the back of "Not Trudeau"...and we'll live in the Canadian version of Trumpist hell.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#602 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 19 March 2019 - 07:37 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 19 March 2019 - 06:27 PM, said:

The more shit Ford and his Cons pull (autism funding, class sizes ect.) the more I feel so lost in my own family. ...

You might find it more bearable to just accept that when they voted, they, like the majority of Ontario voters last time 'round, did not think about you or your family or people like you. That's a level of contemplation lost on most when they hit the voting booth. That sort of thinking is hard. 'Fuck the Libs'.... that's easy. That doesn't require thought and informed decision making. So go with Like Sister: "How's "my wife's" job going?"..."Oh, well Doug Ford's cuts have put it in jeopardy...but you know...at least you stuck it to the Libs..." and either they make that last connection, or (more likely) they don't, but that's not worth your time because nothing you say beyond the basic 'Doug Ford's fault' part makes any difference for next time.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#603 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 19 March 2019 - 08:06 PM

Man that's exhausting. My sympathies for sure. The clarity that honesty brings is cold comfort, because the truth is so heartbreaking. It's a kind of betrayal, isn't it? If someone says they care about you and your family's well being, and then votes for Doug Ford (or Trump, or whatever rough equivalent is in your locale), it feels like they were lying to you....because, to a certain undeniable degree, they were. There's plenty of people here in the US who claim to care about kids -- there's practically a whole "put me in a locked room with that child abuser for 15 minutes" subculture -- who'll happily vote not once but twice for the guy who has locked thousands of Mexican kids in kennels for months on end, among his many other abuses. There's lots of pressure not to treat this choice as what it is -- proactive harm.

Spoiler

They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#604 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 19 March 2019 - 08:09 PM

Or you can listen to Abyss! He's wise in the ways of the world.
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#605 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 16 May 2019 - 05:22 PM

I wish I was making this stuff up, but Ford has taken Stem cell research funds of 100k away...and given that 100k to giving Hunters HATS for turning in their hides.

This is fucking insanity.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#606 User is offline   Blend 

• Gentleman of High House Mafia
  • View gallery
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 20 June 2019 - 07:59 PM

What a fucking chooch....

Fedeli, MacLeod, Thompson all demoted in major Ontario cabinet shuffle by Ford
There is no struggle too vast, no odds too overwhelming, for even should we fail - should we fall - we will know that we have lived. ~ Anomander Rake
My sig comes from a game in which I didn't heed Blend's advice. So maybe this time I should. ~ Khellendros
I'm just going to have to come to terms with the fact that self-vote suiciding will forever be referred to as "pulling a JPK" now, aren't I? ~ JPK

#607 User is offline   LinearPhilosopher 

• House Knight
  • Interests:Everything.

Posted 31 July 2019 - 12:00 AM

So i cannot share the original post as it came off the FB of an acquaintance of mine. He did not want to make it shareable as this government is quite vindictive for no reason.

The guy until recently worked at a government run business incubator. I forget the exact acronym but it's a place where aspiring entrepreneurs can get the business guidance they need, including finding mentors and a proper network to help em start their business. Apparently Shopify got it's start through such an incubator.

It hasn't made the rounds publicly but they've been shut down abruptly without warning. Ressources for people who want to start up their own business are being shut down.

"for the people eh"

#608 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 02 September 2019 - 02:29 PM

'I'm rooting for a direct hit on Mar a Lago!' Former Canadian prime minister creates Twitter storm

Ahhh, titters. You're such an amazing waste of time and such a powerful tool to fuel the addiction of those who are jonesin' for an outrage fix.

But, I mean, there will be ample enough time for people at Mar-a-Lago to find a safe exit before (if) the hurricane made landfall right? So . . . Posted Image

#609 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 03 September 2019 - 02:23 AM

View PostLinearPhilosopher, on 31 July 2019 - 12:00 AM, said:

So i cannot share the original post as it came off the FB of an acquaintance of mine. He did not want to make it shareable as this government is quite vindictive for no reason.

The guy until recently worked at a government run business incubator. I forget the exact acronym but it's a place where aspiring entrepreneurs can get the business guidance they need, including finding mentors and a proper network to help em start their business. Apparently Shopify got it's start through such an incubator.

It hasn't made the rounds publicly but they've been shut down abruptly without warning. Ressources for people who want to start up their own business are being shut down.

"for the people eh"

Fed or prov?

#610 User is offline   LinearPhilosopher 

• House Knight
  • Interests:Everything.

Posted 04 September 2019 - 02:19 AM

View PostAbyss, on 03 September 2019 - 02:23 AM, said:

View PostLinearPhilosopher, on 31 July 2019 - 12:00 AM, said:

"for the people eh"

Fed or prov?

provincial

#611 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 04 September 2019 - 03:04 PM

Reports rolling in as the first week of school occurs that Ford's cuts to education are causing Grade 12's to have enough classes cut from the curriculum that they signed up for, and replaced with "Study Hall" periods that they will be unable to graduate because they will no longer have the credits to do so.

That's fucking terrible. So basically Doug...you and your ill-gotten party have decided that you will cut education funding to a level that students will actually have to ATTEND ANOTHER YEAR OF SCHOOL funded by taxpayer dollars to accommodate the required credits they need to graduate? Boy, that's a fucking stellar plan you morons.

This smacks of a lawsuit if enough students are affected in this manner. Can you imagine large numbers of kids about to graduate out of the public system...being stuck in that system for a further year because of cuts made by the government? Like I can't exaggerate how stupid that is.

#612 User is offline   Cause 

• Elder God

Posted 04 September 2019 - 05:20 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 04 September 2019 - 03:04 PM, said:

Reports rolling in as the first week of school occurs that Ford's cuts to education are causing Grade 12's to have enough classes cut from the curriculum that they signed up for, and replaced with "Study Hall" periods that they will be unable to graduate because they will no longer have the credits to do so.

This cant be real? Surely they would have seen this ahead of time?

#613 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 04 September 2019 - 07:06 PM

Can't find reference. Source?

#614 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 05 September 2019 - 02:05 AM

View PostAbyss, on 04 September 2019 - 07:06 PM, said:

Grade 12 posted on reddit (made it to the front page) about his experience with this occurrence in this first week of school, and how he can’t graduate now this year because he has like 3-4 study hall periods (to replace cancelled courses) in spots that he can’t fill with credit courses, and says that he’s not alone and many other students he talked to are in similar conundrums. He’s being told to go to the media so the story gets wider attention.

Original post with an update.
https://www.reddit.c...en_fucked_over/

This post has been edited by QuickTidal: 05 September 2019 - 02:07 AM

#615 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 05 September 2019 - 03:29 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 05 September 2019 - 02:05 AM, said:

Grade 12 posted on reddit (made it to the front page) about his experience with this occurrence in this first week of school, and how he can't graduate now this year because he has like 3-4 study hall periods (to replace cancelled courses) in spots that he can't fill with credit courses, and says that he's not alone and many other students he talked to are in similar conundrums. He's being told to go to the media so the story gets wider attention.

And it's only Year Two. Fuck.

That reddit OP reads more like panic than actual 'real life holy crap i will not graduate' problem. No one requires a high school law course to get into law school, he hadn't spoken with his school admin, and it was day 1... i don't know that school, but odds are if he gets an appointment, sits down with someone in an office and lays out the problem it was be worked out. Maybe not the courses he wanted, but they're gone.

It seems that the news cycle hasn't picked this up yet, i suspect because it's known that schools are flailing to adjust after the prov's idiocy and saying 'students can't graduate' is a pretty serious claim. As it stands so far, 'students can't get classes they want, have to take other classes in order to graduate' just isn't a sexy clickbait of a headline. That said a week from now if this is still widespread i look forward to the 'Schools cannot adjust, students at risk!' headlines.

Some posters claim/suggest this is the fault of teachers/guidance staff/admins trying to stir up shit against the Ford gov. I find that possibility disturbing.

#616 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 05 September 2019 - 03:35 PM

View PostAbyss, on 05 September 2019 - 03:29 PM, said:

View PostQuickTidal, on 05 September 2019 - 02:05 AM, said:

Grade 12 posted on reddit (made it to the front page) about his experience with this occurrence in this first week of school, and how he can’t graduate now this year because he has like 3-4 study hall periods (to replace cancelled courses) in spots that he can’t fill with credit courses, and says that he’s not alone and many other students he talked to are in similar conundrums. He’s being told to go to the media so the story gets wider attention.

And it's only Year Two. Fuck.

That reddit OP reads more like panic than actual 'real life holy crap i will not graduate' problem. No one requires a high school law course to get into law school, he hadn't spoken with his school admin, and it was day 1... i don't know that school, but odds are if he gets an appointment, sits down with someone in an office and lays out the problem it was be worked out. Maybe not the courses he wanted, but they're gone.

It seems that the news cycle hasn't picked this up yet, i suspect because it's known that schools are flailing to adjust after the prov's idiocy and saying 'students can't graduate' is a pretty serious claim.
As it stands so far, 'students can't get classes they want, have to take other classes in order to graduate' just isn't a sexy clickbait of a headline.

That said a week from now if this is still widespread i look forward to the 'Schools cannot adjust, students at risk!' headlines.

I mean I know my post reads as kind of alarmist, but the nuts and bolts of this essentially boil down to the province fucking up the education trajectory of a tonne of students, whether they get to graduate or not. And to have to replace actual chunks of class time with study hall...christ I don't even know what to call that.

#617 User is offline   Mentalist 

• Martyr of High House Mafia
  • Interests:Soccer, Chess, swimming, books, misc
  • Junior Mafia Mod

Posted 14 September 2019 - 07:26 PM

WTF is "study hall" ?

High school law is a joke course that has absolutely nothing to do with anything in the actual legal profession. It's like a more advanced civics course basically, with some stuff about negligence, but I learned more from my NLS manual.
The problem with the gene pool is that there's no lifeguard
THE CONTESTtm WINNER--чемпіон самоконтролю

View PostJump Around, on 23 October 2011 - 11:04 AM, said:

And I want to state that Ment has out-weaseled me by far in this game.

#618 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 19 September 2019 - 10:30 AM

Well, is noone safe?

https://forum.malaza...ost__p__1383981
"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"Well well well ... if it ain't The Invisible C**t." - Billy Butcher, The Boys

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#619 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 19 September 2019 - 03:09 PM

View PostTsundoku, on 19 September 2019 - 10:30 AM, said:

Nope, not really. Blackface in your history just never goes over well with anyone, ever. It's not the same as using actual terms of hate at PoC, or gender groups, or whipping out your dick for random women at job interviews, but rest assured the Tories will scream like it is.

That said, anyone, PoC or otherwise, who shifts support from the Libs to the Tories on account of this is missing the bigger picture, the smaller picture, the side picture, and all the other pictures.

#620 User is offline   Blend 

• Gentleman of High House Mafia
  • View gallery

Posted 19 September 2019 - 04:31 PM

View PostAbyss, on 19 September 2019 - 03:09 PM, said:

View PostTsundoku, on 19 September 2019 - 10:30 AM, said:

Nope, not really. Blackface in your history just never goes over well with anyone, ever. It's not the same as using actual terms of hate at PoC, or gender groups, or whipping out your dick for random women at job interviews, but rest assured the Tories will scream like it is.

That said, anyone, PoC or otherwise, who shifts support from the Libs to the Tories on account of this is missing the bigger picture, the smaller picture, the side picture, and all the other pictures.

As posted in the "Political Correctness" thread...

I am white, and I certainly know better now, but I can honestly say that I had no idea that wearing blackface or brownface was considered racist back in 2001. I learned that was the case in around 2003 when we did it to a friend of mine in the privacy of our own home when we were playing with some theatre makeup I had bought for a Halloween costume. I took a picture and he made me immediately delete it and explained why it was considered racist to do blackface and/or brownface. I now know better. I have learned from that experience and would now never do such a thing.

So yeah, sure, it was in bad taste. But it was fucking 2001 and he has done plenty to show that the mistakes he made when he was younger don't define the kind of person he is today.

I don't vote Liberal but it's certainly not because of something as ridiculous as this. Scheer's Conservatives are just trying to find any shit that will stick to Trudeau after something like 5 or 6 of their candidates have been called out for racist and/or homophobic things they've done in the last 5-10 years as opposed to nearly 20 years ago.
There is no struggle too vast, no odds too overwhelming, for even should we fail - should we fall - we will know that we have lived. ~ Anomander Rake
My sig comes from a game in which I didn't heed Blend's advice. So maybe this time I should. ~ Khellendros
I'm just going to have to come to terms with the fact that self-vote suiciding will forever be referred to as "pulling a JPK" now, aren't I? ~ JPK

Share this topic:

• 47 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users