Malazan Empire: The Canada Politics Thread - Malazan Empire

• 47 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

The Canada Politics Thread American politics' smaller less interesting cousin!

#641 User is offline   Anomander 

• Wielder of Dragnipur
  • Group: Administrators

Posted 21 October 2019 - 02:29 PM

Singh has zero chance of winning PM today. I'm expecting a minority Liberal government but who the hell knows anymore. The amount of disinformation this election campaign has been insane. I imagine we'll be having another election within 2 years once the next 'big crisis' emerges.

The thing that astounds me the most is how poorly each party has chosen their leader for this election. Scheer was a horrible choice for the conservatives, they should have gone with someone not so tied to Harper who could engage with the electorate better (although as a non-Con it delights me they went this route). How he thought his dual Canadian-US citizenship would not come up is beyond me, someone in the campaign staff should have flagged that ASAP and come up with a better response than, "Oh, well, I didn't mention it because no one asked me!" When added to issues like his previous LGBTQ stances it offers way too many points of attack for other political parties. With the NDP I dislike Singh's leadership for the simple fact he became leader without even having a seat in parliament. It's bad enough he spent the first 512 days managing his party from the sidelines but what irks me is that he finally got a seat in BC instead of Ontario. His home province could desperately use a progressive voice right now but gods forbid he honour his pledge to secure a local seat. If no seat was available then them's the breaks, parachuting into a "safe riding" is complete bullshit even though there is a lot of precedent in Canadian political history. I lost an equal amount of respect for Elizabeth May when she did the same thing, I supported her running for office in NS against Peter MacKay as she has roots in the province. But following the election she did the usual thing of running to BC to ensure she got a seat. Personally I'm a big fan of a lot of her work but politics wise I refuse to lionize people who continue using the shame shady political tactics they claim to want to reform.

Which leads me to Trudeau. Dear gods almighty so much of this shit show has been completely avoidable. I give him credit for owning his mistakes (mostly but not always) as they occur and typically offering clear cut apologies. That being said it's obvious he did not inherit his father's political acumen. SNC-Lavalin was something he could easily have avoided involving himself in despite his personal riding location but he of course had to touch the 3rd rail of Canadian politics in the most boneheaded manner (i.e. prioritizing jobs in Quebec). I think he sincerely relied on the likes of Dominic LeBlanc and has been floundering without his closest friends and allies. He's going to lose a number of seats over his lack of election reform, way more than he will get for going through with pot legalization. If the other parties were fielding better candidates he would be completely fucked and have relegated the Liberals to official opposition again. I will be interested to see if a coalition is formed between the Libs/NDP/Greens as they've suggested, Ruth Ellen Brosseau is still House Leader of the NDP and I'd be shocked if her and her colleagues somehow forget the outrage from 'elbowgate'.

With any luck Scheer will decisively lose the election and the parties will all shed a lot of baggage from their ranks going forward.
And so the First denied their Mother,
in their fury, and so were cast out,
doomed children of Mother Dark.

#642 User is offline   D'rek 

• Consort of High House Mafia
  • Group: Super Moderators

Posted 21 October 2019 - 02:54 PM

I'm very excited for the Bloc resurgence!

View Postworrywort, on 14 September 2012 - 08:07 PM, said:

I kinda love it when D'rek unleashes her nerd wrath, as I knew she would here. Sorry innocent bystanders, but someone's gotta be the kindling.

#643 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 21 October 2019 - 03:11 PM

Anomander, on 21 October 2019 - 02:29 PM, said:

Singh has zero chance of winning PM today. I'm expecting a minority Liberal government but who the hell knows anymore. The amount of disinformation this election campaign has been insane. I imagine we'll be having another election within 2 years once the next 'big crisis' emerges.

The thing that astounds me the most is how poorly each party has chosen their leader for this election. Scheer was a horrible choice for the conservatives, they should have gone with someone not so tied to Harper who could engage with the electorate better (although as a non-Con it delights me they went this route). How he thought his dual Canadian-US citizenship would not come up is beyond me, someone in the campaign staff should have flagged that ASAP and come up with a better response than, "Oh, well, I didn't mention it because no one asked me!" When added to issues like his previous LGBTQ stances it offers way too many points of attack for other political parties. With the NDP I dislike Singh's leadership for the simple fact he became leader without even having a seat in parliament. It's bad enough he spent the first 512 days managing his party from the sidelines but what irks me is that he finally got a seat in BC instead of Ontario. His home province could desperately use a progressive voice right now but gods forbid he honour his pledge to secure a local seat. If no seat was available then them's the breaks, parachuting into a "safe riding" is complete bullshit even though there is a lot of precedent in Canadian political history. I lost an equal amount of respect for Elizabeth May when she did the same thing, I supported her running for office in NS against Peter MacKay as she has roots in the province. But following the election she did the usual thing of running to BC to ensure she got a seat. Personally I'm a big fan of a lot of her work but politics wise I refuse to lionize people who continue using the shame shady political tactics they claim to want to reform.

Which leads me to Trudeau. Dear gods almighty so much of this shit show has been completely avoidable. I give him credit for owning his mistakes (mostly but not always) as they occur and typically offering clear cut apologies. That being said it's obvious he did not inherit his father's political acumen. SNC-Lavalin was something he could easily have avoided involving himself in despite his personal riding location but he of course had to touch the 3rd rail of Canadian politics in the most boneheaded manner (i.e. prioritizing jobs in Quebec). I think he sincerely relied on the likes of Dominic LeBlanc and has been floundering without his closest friends and allies. He's going to lose a number of seats over his lack of election reform, way more than he will get for going through with pot legalization. If the other parties were fielding better candidates he would be completely fucked and have relegated the Liberals to official opposition again. I will be interested to see if a coalition is formed between the Libs/NDP/Greens as they've suggested, Ruth Ellen Brosseau is still House Leader of the NDP and I'd be shocked if her and her colleagues somehow forget the outrage from 'elbowgate'.

With any luck Scheer will decisively lose the election and the parties will all shed a lot of baggage from their ranks going forward.

These are all great points.

To add to the "Trudeau could have avoided this" pile. Courting the Praries DECISIVELY Conservative populations by buckling on the pipeline to attempt to get some sort of Liberal foothold there was asinine as my first bit of alienation from him as Liberal leader. Here is a guy who barring a few years difference from me grew up a Gen-Xer in the same era I did when post-80's we REALLY began to see what our parents had done to the environment and seemed to tout those ideals for climate consciousness....buckling to a goddamned oil pipeline in the prairies to curry favour with an electorate that was NEVER going to vote for him or support him anyways, or against their own narrow-minded self interests (the fossil fuel industry that those provinces function on)...It drives me batty. I know you're the PM of the country, not just the Liberal voters...but FFS maybe try not to help the oil/coal industry continue to drive those provinces into the ground where when it's all run out in a few decades, those provinces economies will dive so far into the toilet that I hazard they will be nigh-3rd world by the end. He very much could have instead used his clout as the party in power to soft foot the prairies into growing other industry(s)...but no...fuck it apparently, let's have a pipeline shall we and keep driving these provinces off a cliff?

Sickened me.

I also honestly don't mind Singh parachuting into a safe riding...shrug. It is what it is. If being a Torontonian and staying there didn't help Jack Layton into majority power, it's not about to help Singh. Layton was the best the NDP had on offer (he was great)...so you know what? I'm not fussed.

I'd also love it if my tribalist Conservative relatives didn't keep raising the spectre of Bob Rae whenever I say I'm voting NDP though....fucks sake it's been 20+ years, give it a goddamned rest.

This post has been edited by QuickTidal: 21 October 2019 - 03:12 PM

"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#644 User is offline   Anomander 

• Wielder of Dragnipur

Posted 21 October 2019 - 04:56 PM

Bob Rae was the single worst thing to happen to the NDP so far. For whatever reason the NDP at the provincial level regularly crap the bed. In NS we elected them to a majority only once and their antics were so bad that will likely never reoccur in my lifetime (and I'm just shy of 33!)

Re: the pipeline, I think I'm one of the few environmentalists who actually agree with the Liberal decision to buy the damn thing. The green movement is so resistant to gradual change, everything needs to be BIG CHANGE and it needs to happen NOW. It's a complete crock, we are too reliant on oil to devest quickly or completely at this juncture. As a result I love that the feds bought the pipeline; with a private company we've seen time and again no accountability for leaks, etc. That won't be the case with the country owning the pipeline. Further still I think they should donate the whole thing to the group of native tribes who's land it passes through. Let them make some profit while also guarding the environment as best as possible. Securing the cleanest possible fuel source should be our countries highest priority followed by devestment. Baby steps are the only way this will happen frankly. That and not selling any more rights to the Chinese (a whole other kettle of fish I won't dive into right now).

I still haven't fully decided my vote. Like QT I tend towards Liberal, however, for the first time Halifax actually has a recognizable Green party candidate (Joanne Roberts for those who watch CTV news) and I'm torn. Not a huge fan of my current guy (Andy Fillmore) but the Maritimes is all about connections and Fillmore can get more shit done frankly. Im also inclined to help the Liberal vote here because the provincial Liberal party in NS is essentially Harper lite and a travesty. They may go down as our most hated provincial government ever and people here love to tie federal and provincial politics together (I love my neck of the woods but jesus murphy we could do with a smidge less backward attitudes.)

That's why I throw such shade at parachute candidates. Elizabeth May for example, local MP concerns in rural NS differ vastly from those in an affluent area of BC. She did suffer from much of her campaign being about leadership issues and Canada wide plans but what about her riding? Or Singh's for that matter? They can't have a finger on the pulse of what their electorate want within the district based on such short exposure to the area and people. And it's only ever the party leaders! I don't think these ridings should suffer a lack of attention from their MP just because a party decided their leader would have a more favourable election because of local demographics. It's always those on the left too (recently anyway), it's like, "Oh we're all left leaning progressives so our priorities will align!" Pfffft it's a crock of shit frankly. I will never support someone who won't trust their own neighbours to elect them over strangers they've never met. If you are that passionate then primary your opponent or join a party with an opening to run. Singh really irks me because he claimed for ages he would get elected in Ontario... until he clearly wouldn't and suddenly his position flips and *dusts hands* we're done here!
And so the First denied their Mother,
in their fury, and so were cast out,
doomed children of Mother Dark.

#645 User is offline   D'rek 

Posted 21 October 2019 - 05:35 PM

See, my riding has a candidate from the Radical Marijuana Party, so it's a really easy choice here.

I kinda love it when D'rek unleashes her nerd wrath, as I knew she would here. Sorry innocent bystanders, but someone's gotta be the kindling.

#646 User is offline   Mentalist 

• Martyr of High House Mafia
  • Group: High House Mafia
  • Interests:Soccer, Chess, swimming, books, misc
  • Junior Mafia Mod

Posted 21 October 2019 - 05:43 PM

I'm not particularly connected with what's been happening, but one of my best friends is working for a Lib MP in Etobicoke and he's been running himself ragged for this election.

His prediction is a Lib/NDP coalition that will implode within 2 years.

My own riding: the Lib has a significant lead, so I feel safe sticking to my guns and voting NDP. I represent injured workers for a living, so it's pretty much a no-brainer where my preferences lie, even if we'll never see anyone orange coming out of Mississauga.
The problem with the gene pool is that there's no lifeguard
THE CONTESTtm WINNER--чемпіон самоконтролю

View PostJump Around, on 23 October 2011 - 11:04 AM, said:

And I want to state that Ment has out-weaseled me by far in this game.

#647 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 21 October 2019 - 06:40 PM

D, on 21 October 2019 - 02:54 PM, said:

I'm very excited for the Bloc resurgence!

Vive La Quebec Nue!!!!

My $0.02, a vote for NDP or Green is a vote for eight years of Harper 2.0.

...i don't care how much anyone hates Justin, the last Ontario prov election (and arguably the last American presidential election) are ample evidence of what happens when bad feelings towards a party's leader turn into 'voting for anyone else'.

THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#648 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 21 October 2019 - 06:54 PM

Abyss, on 21 October 2019 - 06:40 PM, said:

...i don't care how much anyone hates Justin, the last Ontario prov election (and arguably the last American presidential election) are ample evidence of what happens when bad feelings towards a party's leader turn into 'voting for anyone else'.

I 100% get what you are saying...but I'm simply not willing to play this game of Libs VS Cons anymore. It's not working. I should also not be afraid of my vote for NDP (one born of platform-alignment with my own feelings) "abetting" one side over the other of the heavy-hitters. That's not remotely fair to me as a voter with a voice.

As I said, if that means Harper 2.0....so be it. I'll own that, and when asked why I chose the party that didn't really have a shot...I'll clearly state why. And perhaps someday election reform will make it so that we won't constantly be in this shitty, shitty situation.

(I should note that my area is deep red Liberal, so the chances my NDP vote will hurt the Liberals in general are slim)
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#649 User is offline   Mentalist 

• Junior Mafia Mod

Posted 21 October 2019 - 06:59 PM

QuickTidal, on 21 October 2019 - 06:54 PM, said:

I 100% get what you are saying...but I'm simply not willing to play this game of Libs VS Cons anymore. It's not working. I should also not be afraid of my vote for NDP (one born of platform-alignment with my own feelings) "abetting" one side over the other of the heavy-hitters. That's not remotely fair to me as a voter with a voice.

As I said, if that means Harper 2.0....so be it. I'll own that, and when asked why I chose the party that didn't really have a shot...I'll clearly state why. And perhaps someday election reform will make it so that we won't constantly be in this shitty, shitty situation.

(I should note that my area is deep red Liberal, so the chances my NDP vote will hurt the Liberals in general are slim)

This. Fuck this tilt to a 2-party system and "strategic voting". It's a bullshit system and I've been saying so for the nearly 15 years ever since I was allowed to vote.

Electoral reform or GTFO.

#650 User is offline   D'rek 

Posted 21 October 2019 - 07:10 PM

The Communist Party is stating that if they form government they will switch the country to an STV or MMP system before the next election

#651 User is offline   Mentalist 

• Junior Mafia Mod

Posted 21 October 2019 - 07:23 PM

D, on 21 October 2019 - 07:10 PM, said:

The Communist Party is stating that if they form government they will switch the country to an STV or MMP system before the next election

I only have a Marxist in my riding, :o

#652 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 21 October 2019 - 07:53 PM

Mentalist, on 21 October 2019 - 06:59 PM, said:

QuickTidal, on 21 October 2019 - 06:54 PM, said:

This. Fuck this tilt to a 2-party system and "strategic voting". It's a bullshit system and I've been saying so for the nearly 15 years ever since I was allowed to vote.

Electoral reform or GTFO.

At the end of the day that con victory is going to bring Canada precisely zero closer to electoral reform, if not further away from it. I get your points, i respect them, but if the long term goal is electoral reform, holding one's nose and dealing with a Liberal gov will go further than eight years of wringing hands while the Cons do what they do.

#653 User is offline   D'rek 

Posted 21 October 2019 - 09:34 PM

Abyss, on 21 October 2019 - 07:53 PM, said:

At the end of the day that con victory is going to bring Canada precisely zero closer to electoral reform, if not further away from it.

I disagree.

#654 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 21 October 2019 - 10:14 PM

D, on 21 October 2019 - 09:34 PM, said:

Abyss, on 21 October 2019 - 07:53 PM, said:

At the end of the day that con victory is going to bring Canada precisely zero closer to electoral reform, if not further away from it.

I disagree.

Fair enough.

Communist.

...wait....

#655 User is offline   LinearPhilosopher 

• House Knight
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Interests:Everything.

Posted 22 October 2019 - 12:41 AM

So on the topic of strategic voting. I to this day will advocate for the strategy as from a purely rational perspective, strategic voting is the best way to maximise personal utility.

That being said i voted NDP. I posted the stats earlier and this is almost guaranteed a wasted vote. But you know what Im ok with this. Because by voting NDP i can live with myself. Givin my vote to the liberals on the other hand, i couldn't justify it to myself. By reneging on FPTP reform JT and his entire party essentially turned their entire back on democracy. Rather than apathy towards the topic the liberals ACTIVELY chose their own careers and job security, over their duty to implement much needed reform on this antiquated system. They chose themselves over the people they chose to serve. Such an attitude disqualifies you from being a candidate worthy of voting.

Less than 1 year in he renegs simply stating he can't get it done. Oh bull fucking shit it's your godam job as PM to work something out. To quote a great man, "not because they are easy, but because they are hard, because that goal will serve to organize and measure the best of our energies and skills, because that challenge is one that we are willing to accept, one we are unwilling to postpone, and one which we intend to win, and the others, too." Instead he just folds and quits without any real fight.

Oh and as if this isn't depressing enough as it is.

https://en.wikipedia...form_referendum

But guess what, most of my peers and family don't even remember this being on the ballot. I think it's absolutely criminal we had a referendum on this subject AND NO ONE KNEW ABOUT IT!

#656 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 22 October 2019 - 02:43 AM

1045ish EST...
Fuck moi... BQ 35+/- seats and counting. I clearly haven't been following QC closely enough.
Lib minority looks likely. NDP at fourth.... I posted 'weak fourth' but in a minority gov that's not necessarily accurate. Green oh whatever but hey, they actually got someone who wasn't May elected.

#657 User is offline   LinearPhilosopher 

• House Knight
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Interests:Everything.

Posted 22 October 2019 - 02:51 AM

This is my personal highlight for the night.

https://election.ctv...yhv4D88FPTzqxGM

#658 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 22 October 2019 - 02:55 AM

LinearPhilosopher, on 22 October 2019 - 02:51 AM, said:

This is my personal highlight for the night.

https://election.ctv...yhv4D88FPTzqxGM

Love the rhinos.

Turned out Bernier lost, albeit not to Bernier.

#659 User is offline   D'rek 

Posted 22 October 2019 - 03:53 AM

These interviews they keep doing with losing incumbents where they're always like "Hi former MP, you just lost your seat after 12 years, how do you feel?!" seem rather cruel, pointless, and uninteresting.

::munches popcorn::

#660 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 22 October 2019 - 04:13 AM

D, on 22 October 2019 - 03:53 AM, said:

These interviews they keep doing with losing incumbents where they're always like "Hi former MP, you just lost your seat after 12 years, how do you feel?!" seem rather cruel, pointless, and uninteresting.

::munches popcorn::

Their sadness and despair and semi conscious realization that they have wasted a tremendous amount of effort sustains me.

Share this topic:

• 47 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users