Malazan Empire: The Marvel Cinematic Universe Thread - Malazan Empire

• 54 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

The Marvel Cinematic Universe Thread Awww yissssss!

#941 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 29 July 2022 - 07:10 PM

THOR LOVE AND THUNDER was fucking terrible. I love all of Taika’s work, but man this didn’t work at all for me. Just poor jokes constantly warring with grim subject matter…

Tessa Thompson was the best part about it. I’m so sad that this was not a hit for me.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#942 User is offline   Mezla PigDog 

• Malazan Yo Yo Champion 2009
  • Group: Mezla's Thought Police

Posted 04 August 2022 - 09:59 AM

I have started watching Moon Knight. I know nothing of the source material so it is kind of batshit insane but I like it.

Without spoilering me please could someone help me - what movie end credits scene is the one where we go into the hotel room Mark is in? It's really bugging me and I can't google because I don't want to spoilered for the season.
Burn rubber =/= warp speed

#943 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 05 August 2022 - 03:43 AM

I'm catching up on the TV shows too:
Hawkeye: Better than I expected, by a lot. Quite good even. I think the people who write for the MCU mourn the loss of Black Widow a whole lot more than I do, but with a few of these characters in particular it makes sense and I'm glad they got their time on screen to do it. Never thought I'd be asking for more Jeremy Renner, but he was good in this.

Moon Knight: There's some good acting in this one! Oscar Isaac and Ethan Hawke are really layered (for an MCU property) and it's nice to see May Calamawy get a big role. She is extremely funny on Ramy. There's some paper thin secondary characters throughout, but oh well. It does a pretty decent job of balancing MCU-standard plot stuff with drawing outside the lines a little. ------ @Mezla: I don't remember a hotel scene in an MCU end credits, sorry.

Ms. Marvel: The best of the bunch imo. Iman Vellani is immensely charming in this role, a real find. And while the practical stakes aren't as fleshed out as they could be, the emotional ones are really strong and resonant, plus it's just a whole lotta fun. I'd put this right up there with WandaVision as best of Phase 4.

Overall, all three were as good or better than any of the Phase 4 movies.

They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#944 User is offline   Gorefest 

• Witness

Posted 05 August 2022 - 08:13 AM

Watched Thor: love and thunder. It was okay. Quite entertaining, bizarre and over the top at some points, but overall good fun.
Yesterday, upon the stair, I saw a man who wasn't there. He wasn't there again today. Oh, how I wish he'd go away.

#945 User is offline   D'rek 

• Consort of High House Mafia
  • Group: Super Moderators

Posted 10 August 2022 - 06:01 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 25 July 2022 - 12:13 PM, said:

I know most have probably already seen this over the last couple of days, but I wanted to post it for anyone who hasn't....because this movie looks incredible, emotional, stunningly shot, and really really good.

And that cover of the Marley track is gold.

And it SOUNDS like:

Spoiler

I am kinda skeptical on this one. Seems to me like they are packing a LOT of different big things into this movie. The film could easily have been just about dealing with T'Challa's death and legacy, the internal+family issues that that causes in Wakanda, and deciding who becomes the next Black Panther (possibly/likely with multiple people taking the mantle throughout the movie, such as per QT's spoiler box).

But there's going to be all that *and* it seems a political/foreign affairs subplot centered on T'Challa's mom *and* introducing the entire concept of (Nahua- or Maya-themed? cool!) Atlanteans who get into conflict with landlocked Wakanda and the rest of the world? That seems like a heck of a lot? Atlantis isn't an antagonist faction you can introduce in a single quick scene like, say, Hammer Industries and then drop it forever after the one movie, they're going to eat a ton of screentime and need a ton of careful setup to be still useable in future movies (but not have to be in every future movie), especially if (as the trailer seems to show) they are not just antagonistic to Wakanda but to other countries, as well.

Sounds like, to put it impolitely, a clusterfuck of things that can't possibly all fit into one movie while still feeling natural. Or... maybe it ends up like Multiverse of Madness where the mad multiverse was on screen for all of 60 seconds...

I hope not, I hope it's somehow great, but I am skeptical until the reviews or more details come out. It's a very good trailer. But some trailer makers are really good at making a bad or messy movie look much better or cohesive than it really is (Suicide Squad trailer anyone?). (And good music is a great tool for that.)

View Postworrywort, on 14 September 2012 - 08:07 PM, said:

I kinda love it when D'rek unleashes her nerd wrath, as I knew she would here. Sorry innocent bystanders, but someone's gotta be the kindling.

#946 User is offline   Mezla PigDog 

Posted 12 September 2022 - 09:46 PM

I just finished Thor: Love and Thunder. I liked it but it's not great. It's main problem is that Thor: Ragnarok is so good and elements of the new movie come over as a pastiche of Ragnarok and fall a bit flat. The main thing it has going for it is that it is quite light given the Marvel franchise has got pretty heavy lately.

Naked Chris Hemsworth also helps.

#947 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 13 September 2022 - 04:31 AM

I agree with Mez mostly (especially about a naked Hemsworth)

#948 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 13 September 2022 - 07:37 AM

I just watched it too! I didn't hate it, but I definitely wouldn't say it was good.
Christian Bale kinda carries it -- great performance, good character, whose very high stakes are unfortunately under-utilized and undercut by everything else in the movie.
And it's not that I don't think there's a space for the goofy fun wavelength that the rest of the movie rides, and is a carryover from Ragnarok. It just didn't mesh with the Gorr storyline at all, and so came off glib.
Spoiler

There's still fun to be had on the lighter side even though it was overall a mess, and Gorr was a great villain that deserved a better movie, but I can still think of 5 MCU movies that were worse than this one. If TW had married the Jane/Thor storyline to a different more playful villain, and left Gorr to someone else, it could have been two better movies.

#949 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 13 September 2022 - 12:36 PM

The movie doesn't know what it wants to be. It's a comedy with joke after joke after joke....juxtaposed against a serious as hell cancer storyline (that likely hit me harder due to what's going on with my mother)....juxtaposed a third time against a father losing his child to capricious gods and going on a revenge quest.

It's probably the most bizarre mishmash of a plot I've ever seen in a film, and as such just rang as bad to me.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#950 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon

Posted 17 September 2022 - 09:05 PM

I've just watched ThorFour and actually really enjoyed it. I completely get what you're saying QT and at times it did seem like it was careening from one thing to the next - I like fast paced but this didn't flow quite as well as perhaps it should have done. That being said I laughed lots and was appropriately freaked out by how great a bad dude Christian Bale was as Gorr. Tessa Thompson was my other favourite. I love her to pieces.
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#951 User is offline   Slow Ben 

• Ranger

Posted 18 September 2022 - 12:02 AM

Same. It definitely had its flaws, but it was far from the shitshow I’d heard about.

The goats killed me.
I've always been crazy but its kept me from going insane.

#952 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 19 September 2022 - 08:56 PM

Sames, I mean yah it has some dark dark themes that jarr with the light tone at times.
But Ragnorok was dealing with mass murder and the end of the world and 8t was a a blast so the tone chaglnges didn't bother me, plenty of laughs and some heart, a few missed notes but not the train wreck some people are painting it as imo

#953 User is offline   Mezla PigDog 

Posted 25 September 2022 - 04:22 PM

I like She-Hulk. It's not great but it is short and light and fluffy and I like the superhero angle on 30-something career woman problems.

I hate myself for watching Disney+ though. Marvel is the embodiment of everything killing what once made cinema great.

#954 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 28 September 2022 - 07:44 AM

Ryan Reynolds' quote on Instagram when he dropped this: "Hard keeping my mouth sewn shut about this one". :rofl:

Attached File(s)

• Attached File  f2c.jpg (78.98K)
    Number of downloads: 0

This post has been edited by Tsundoku: 28 September 2022 - 07:49 AM

"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"Well well well ... if it ain't The Invisible C**t." - Billy Butcher, The Boys

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#955 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 28 September 2022 - 10:30 AM

Yep, SOOOOOOOOO excited!

#956 User is offline   Maark Abbott 

• Part Time Catgirl
  • Interests:Redacted

Posted 28 September 2022 - 11:44 AM

View PostMalankazooie, on 25 February 2021 - 03:16 AM, said:

Not sure if she fits my picture of the character when I close my eyes and envision the role.

Yeah anime ruined me like that too, I'd have expected Shelob but with the nommy mommy top half.
Debut novel 'Incarnate' now available on Kindle

#957 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 28 September 2022 - 02:05 PM

Answers: LOL

#958 User is offline   stone monkey 

• I'm the baddest man alive and I don't plan to die...
  • Group: Grumpy Old Sods

Posted 28 September 2022 - 02:17 PM

ThorFour was... disjointed. I was stoked for the God Butcher story, and parts of what they did with it worked fairly well. But the movie as a whole didn't hang together especially well. I suspect because it was trying to do too many things at once. I get the feeling that no-one actually sat down in the writing room with everyone and said "How does this advance the story or the characters?" I did love the goats though, and Russell Crowe's Zeus was kinda hilarious.
Spoiler

She-Hulk is fun, and once again I'm feasting on the tears of the internet manbabies. I would be interested to see how they balance its irreverent tone and 4th Wall breaking with what I expect to be the Serious Business of whatever future Avengers film she shows up in.
Monn Knight was, for the most part, exactly my kind of bonkers. The ending seemed a bit rote and by-the-numbers though.

This post has been edited by stone monkey: 28 September 2022 - 03:45 PM

If an opinion contrary to your own makes you angry, that is a sign that you are subconsciously aware of having no good reason for thinking as you do. If some one maintains that two and two are five, or that Iceland is on the equator, you feel pity rather than anger, unless you know so little of arithmetic or geography that his opinion shakes your own contrary conviction. … So whenever you find yourself getting angry about a difference of opinion, be on your guard; you will probably find, on examination, that your belief is going beyond what the evidence warrants. Bertrand Russell

#959 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 28 September 2022 - 02:37 PM

Regarding the finale of Moon Knight, I feel like...
Spoiler

#960 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 28 September 2022 - 03:18 PM

View Poststone monkey, on 28 September 2022 - 02:17 PM, said:

ThorFour was... disjointed. I get the feeling that no-one actually sat down in the writing room with everyone and said "How does this advance the story or the characters?"

I am convinced that the reason this one has landed as it has is that RAGNAROK was written by a writers room and Taika was not really involved in that part himself...but he legit wrote this one, so I feel like there was not a "writers" room to be had to wrangle it into shape.

This post has been edited by QuickTidal: 28 September 2022 - 03:18 PM

Share this topic:

• 54 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

3 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users