Malazan Empire: The Marvel Cinematic Universe Thread - Malazan Empire

• 54 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

The Marvel Cinematic Universe Thread Awww yissssss!

#921 User is offline   Chance 

• Mortal Sword
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 16 May 2022 - 05:44 AM

View PostAbyss, on 15 May 2022 - 07:50 PM, said:

And then I watched ETERNALS. There are many movies in the MCU, and this is one of them. I was not bored, I did not tune out. But the level of meh was higher... stiff performances, random accent shifts, the villains were basically there to get a CGI budget, predictable as a 70s saturday AM cartoon. The finale just saves it.

It certainly sets a new lowpoint for the recent MCU films :)

Multiverse of Madness however even thought I don't enjoy the horror parts all that much was very well done and Wandavision is basically required to understand it and a decent entry into the MCU as well thought the style isn't for everyone.

This post has been edited by Chance: 16 May 2022 - 05:44 AM

#922 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 16 May 2022 - 08:29 PM

Watched Multiverse of Madness earlier.

Entertaining enough but in many ways not a good movie. The manuscript is really lazy, character motivations are half baked and there's barely any multiverse at all.

I don't see how this film ties into the events of Spider-Man No Way Home or the Loki TV show, even though there should be obvious ways to reference and build on these events to build up the next Marvel phase. Strange that they don't capitalize on that opportunity.

Also I really dislike the way they write and utilize Dr Strange in these films. He's mostly just reduced to being an ignorant, smart mouthed fire ball thrower, instead of being an authority on all kinds of magic and arcane lore. Strange should be out thinking his opponents instead of throwing special effects at everything.

#923 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 18 May 2022 - 12:41 AM

She-Hulk trailer.

Looks like goofy fun. Which can hit a sweet spot for the MCU fandom. Or it could go off the rails. It will be interesting to see how it does.

#924 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 18 May 2022 - 03:27 AM

'Attorney At Law'

AHAAAHHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAAHAHA

i love that they put that front and center.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#925 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 18 May 2022 - 07:59 AM

Why does it look like one of those Funny or Die trailers?
"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"Well well well ... if it ain't The Invisible C**t." - Billy Butcher, The Boys

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#926 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 18 May 2022 - 11:25 AM

The CGI in the SHE-HULK trailer looks dodgy AF. I mean they have time to tighten it up, but it's pretty rough...and I'm not one to let that shit bother me, but this stood out to me.

Otherwise, bring it the fuck on, looks like an absolute blast!
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#927 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 18 May 2022 - 11:39 AM

View PostAptorian, on 16 May 2022 - 08:29 PM, said:

I don't see how this film ties into the events of Spider-Man No Way Home or the Loki TV show, even though there should be obvious ways to reference and build on these events to build up the next Marvel phase. Strange that they don't capitalize on that opportunity.

I'll see if I can clear this up. But let's just say that Sam Raimi would have less than no interest in tying into those other properties at more than a surface level. But the surface level stuff is thus:

Spoiler

So it all ties in pretty neatly now that I think about it. Neither SPIDER-MAN NWH or DS 2 happen without LOKI and the death of 616 Kang.

Also I really dislike the way they write and utilize Dr Strange in these films. He's mostly just reduced to being an ignorant, smart mouthed fire ball thrower, instead of being an authority on all kinds of magic and arcane lore. Strange should be out thinking his opponents instead of throwing special effects at everything.

This is....who he is in the comics for a VERY long time. A more circumspect and less arrogant and impulsive Steven Strange does not come around till at least SECRET WARS in the comics.

This post has been edited by QuickTidal: 18 May 2022 - 11:41 AM

"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#928 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 19 May 2022 - 05:42 AM

View PostQuickTidal, on 18 May 2022 - 11:39 AM, said:

I'll see if I can clear this up. But let's just say that Sam Raimi would have less than no interest in tying into those other properties at more than a surface level. But the surface level stuff is thus:

Spoiler

So it all ties in pretty neatly now that I think about it. Neither SPIDER-MAN NWH or DS 2 happen without LOKI and the death of 616 Kang.

This is....who he is in the comics for a VERY long time. A more circumspect and less arrogant and impulsive Steven Strange does not come around till at least SECRET WARS in the comics.

The background information you provide for an explanation of the events in Multiverse of Madness, are all well and good but then they should say that in the film, instead of expecting the viewer to follow fan discussions and keeping a line-chart of movie tie ins.

Just have one of the wizards say that the use of Thanos reality and time gems have distabilized the universe, when Strange then afterwards shattered the barriers between realities it set bad shit in motion. Done. Two main Marvel movies that set up the events. And for god's sake throw in Kang the Conquerer at some point in the movie if they intend to actually make him a big bad. At this point is there even a phase? Where are the movies going? Are they in limbo while they try to figure out how to replace the origial Avengers?

I stand firm on the concept that a character called DOCTOR Strange shouldn't be as stupid as Strange is in this film.

#929 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 19 May 2022 - 12:55 PM

View PostAptorian, on 19 May 2022 - 05:42 AM, said:

The background information you provide for an explanation of the events in Multiverse of Madness, are all well and good but then they should say that in the film, instead of expecting the viewer to follow fan discussions and keeping a line-chart of movie tie ins.

Did you watch LOKI and SPIDER-MAN NWH? Then you have most of the information I have going into Multiverse. They gave you what you needed. They aren't going to come out in DS 2 and give you a run down on how and why these things are happening.

Just have one of the wizards say that the use of Thanos reality and time gems have destabilized the universe

It didn't. The Destability of the universe came from Sophie Loki killing Kang in the finale of LOKI.

when Strange then afterwards shattered the barriers between realities it set bad shit in motion. Done.

That's not what happened though. Strange was just as surprised as Peter than the Multiverse started to crumble after a simple spell.

Two main Marvel movies that set up the events. And for god's sake throw in Kang the Conquerer at some point in the movie if they intend to actually make him a big bad.

Why? Thanos was the big bad of 3 full phases of the MCU and didn't show up till a tiny cameo in AVENGERS. And didn't do anything of note beyond that til GOTG post-credits. And didn't bodily show up as a main villain till almost the end of Phase 3.

Kang was in the whole finale of LOKI. He arguably had more screen time in the first Phase of the new set of phases for the MCU than Thanos did in Phase 1.

Also, there's nothing that says Kang WILL be the final big bad of the next few phases. It could be Doom, for all we know.

At this point is there even a phase?

Yes, Phase 4 is the first of likely another 3-Phase arc of films and content. This time it will include the TV shows on D+ for the full MCU experience.

Where are the movies going?

If I had to guess? A SECRET WARS type battle world story or something like it where all the other universes start clashing with the 616....but that's Phase 6 or something. But we don't know yet. We didn't know at this point in Phase one that we were headed to Infinity War and Endgame.

Are they in limbo while they try to figure out how to replace the origial Avengers?

No. Why would they be? They have Strange, Spider-Man, Captain Marvel, Thor, Captain America and a whole slew of others, with an incoming Fanatsic Four, and eventually the X-Men. They aren't in limbo at all. The first three phases of the MCU took ten years, and were made up of like 23 films. It takes time to reset the game board and start to tell a new story.

I stand firm on the concept that a character called DOCTOR Strange shouldn't be as stupid as Strange is in this film.

k

This post has been edited by QuickTidal: 19 May 2022 - 12:55 PM

#930 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 20 May 2022 - 08:48 AM

Daredevil? Fingers crossed they do it, and toes crossed they don't fuck it up.

https://www.news.com...166eec51076c04c

Marvel resurrects Charlie Cox’s cancelled Netflix Daredevil series for Disney+

"Marvel is resurrecting one of its most popular characters with news Daredevil is to return as a series on streaming platform Disney+.

While it hasn’t been officially confirmed by Marvel, Variety reported writers Matt Corman and Chris Ord have been hired as showrunners."
"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#931 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 20 May 2022 - 09:30 AM

Counterpoint.
A lot of people haven't watched any of the shows and just want to sit and watch the movies.

A bit of handwaving to explain should be put in

#932 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 20 May 2022 - 11:11 AM

View PostMacros, on 20 May 2022 - 09:30 AM, said:

Counterpoint.
A lot of people haven't watched any of the shows and just want to sit and watch the movies.

A bit of handwaving to explain should be put in

Oh for sure. But Apt's issues seems to stem from not knowing how DS 2 tied into those pieces of media, not that he felt it required them to be enjoyed.

Like he either wants to know how everything ties together, or he just wants to watch a movie. I feel like DS 2 can be viewed just as a standalone movie...everything in that movie is 100% explained on screen. the watching of LOKI and everything else is just added enjoyment of depth to the MCU.

Doctor Strange 2 works fine as just a sort go horror/comedy/thriller about a crazy witch trying to open the multiverse and the wizard trying to stop her.

#933 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 24 May 2022 - 11:46 PM

Anyone see that latest Thor: Love and Thunder trailer? Now that is more like it! I would post it but I think there might be spoilers (trailers these days get a little too 'informy', you know what I mean?). It's easy to find if you want to watch. Christian Bale looks fan-fucking-tastic! (does anyone know who Gorr the God Butcher is?). Also, a lot more Natalie Portman in the trailer. Dang, maybe she did bulk up. She's got the deltoids to triceps and biceps sweep/transition looking tight! Also, no Chris Pratt in the trailer. Do you think that was on purpose? Posted Image

#934 User is offline   stone monkey 

• I'm the baddest man alive and I don't plan to die...
  • Group: Grumpy Old Sods

Posted 25 May 2022 - 01:41 PM

Gorr the God Butcher does exactly what it says on the tin...

Well okay, so no, he doesn't prepare tasty meats.
If an opinion contrary to your own makes you angry, that is a sign that you are subconsciously aware of having no good reason for thinking as you do. If some one maintains that two and two are five, or that Iceland is on the equator, you feel pity rather than anger, unless you know so little of arithmetic or geography that his opinion shakes your own contrary conviction. … So whenever you find yourself getting angry about a difference of opinion, be on your guard; you will probably find, on examination, that your belief is going beyond what the evidence warrants. Bertrand Russell

#935 User is offline   Primateus 

• E Pluribus Anus
  • Interests:Stuff, lots of stuff!

Posted 25 May 2022 - 06:50 PM

That's actually somewhat different from how Gorr looks in the comic, but I really don't mind, it's pretty good regardless.
Screw you all, and have a nice day!

#936 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 24 July 2022 - 07:05 PM

That new trailer that was shown during SDCC for She-Hulk: Attorney at Law reveals the show is going to be absurd and ridiculous. Not a bad thing, as I think I'm here for it.

Also Avengers: The Kang Dynasty and Avengers: Secret Wars titles reveled. I really hope they don't ruin Secret Wars. Do you think we'll finally get Doctor Doom?

#937 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 25 July 2022 - 09:03 AM

So very, very true:

https://www.betootaa...s-next-movie-2/

Marvel Threatens Fans By Saying They Won’t Understand Anything Unless They See This Next Movie

LOUIS BURKE | Culture | CONTACT

As cinemas continue to battle for relevance in a world of streaming, Marvel Studios have given their audience a strongly worded ultimatum.

Nearly 15 years after Iron Man (2008) proved superhero movies could be more than something only an awkward 13-year-old could love, Marvel Studios now hold numerous box office records with a new release in cinemas or on Disney+ seemingly every 40 seconds.

As a result of this caped saturation, even most of the ardent comic book fans are beginning to feel the fatigue of a shopping list of IPs coming at them with the force of a million notes from production about how that bit will need to be edited out for China.

To combat this, Marvel Studios have told fans with certainty that if they do not see the next movie they sure as shit won’t have any idea what is happening in the next one.

“We’d like to make movies that stand alone but we’d much rather you go to the movies out of a feeling of obligation or religious observance rather than because you actually want to watch the movie,” stated Marvel president Kevin Feige.

“All you need to do is watch the six part TV series on Disney+, see the previous one, rewatch the others, and then maybe you’ll understand whatever is happening in this movie. And you need to understand the next one to understand the next one and so on and so forth like you’re stuck watching a soapie. Deal with it.”

“And you know what, fuck it, watch some Star Wars content while you’re at it as well.”

“And stay until the end of the fucking credits to. We’ve got a shit hot actor who we’ve got trapped in a multiple movie deal cameoing as a lizard-dicked fella who none of you saddoes have ever seen on the big screen before. It’s gonna be the best day of your miserable lives.”

#938 User is offline   Primateus 

• E Pluribus Anus
  • Interests:Stuff, lots of stuff!

Posted 25 July 2022 - 10:07 AM

View PostTsundoku, on 25 July 2022 - 09:03 AM, said:

Marvel Threatens Fans By Saying They Won't Understand Anything Unless They See This Next Movie

Eh, I think I'll be just fine. And I think most people will as well.
Screw you all, and have a nice day!

#939 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 25 July 2022 - 12:13 PM

I know most have probably already seen this over the last couple of days, but I wanted to post it for anyone who hasn't....because this movie looks incredible, emotional, stunningly shot, and really really good.

And that cover of the Marley track is gold.

And it SOUNDS like:

Spoiler

#940 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 25 July 2022 - 02:24 PM

I don't know my dude, the anti-vaxxer actress is still in the movie, they didn't cancel her. Consequently, isn't it our duty to cancel the movie and not give them our business? Isn't that how it's supposed to work?

Share this topic:

• 54 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users