Malazan Empire: The Marvel Cinematic Universe Thread - Malazan Empire

• 54 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

The Marvel Cinematic Universe Thread Awww yissssss!

#741 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 26 July 2021 - 10:48 PM

So we've finished Falcon and the Winter Soldier and that was great, the monologue by Sam at the end was phenomenal. Outstanding character for me was Daniel Brühl who was just brilliant.

Currently 4/6 episodes into Loki and I think this is probably the best of the the Marvel shows. The episode on that dying planet was top quality TV.
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#742 User is offline   JPK 

• Lemming of High House Mafia
  • Group: High House Mafia
  • Interests:Sacrificing myself for everyone else's greater good!

Posted 26 July 2021 - 11:02 PM

View PostBriar King, on 26 July 2021 - 09:15 PM, said:

Finished Loki S1
Spoiler

As long as you realize it's actually you.
Spoiler

This post has been edited by JPK: 26 July 2021 - 11:03 PM

#743 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 27 July 2021 - 12:27 PM

View PostBriar King, on 27 July 2021 - 02:06 AM, said:

Not gonna bail. Like I said I want to like it. I may just be in for a slow annoying phase. It’s not impossible for me to enjoy Loki info:
Spoiler

Bolded part is 100% from existing comics. All of it AFAIK. Also not sure why it's an issue if it's from all different realities?

This post has been edited by QuickTidal: 27 July 2021 - 12:27 PM

"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#744 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 27 July 2021 - 03:20 PM

View PostBriar King, on 27 July 2021 - 03:09 PM, said:

I was an X-Men/Excalibur reader.

Just my take
Spoiler

Which ep is it explained in? I’d like to rewatch it.

But I mean think about it, but for a slightly different chromosome makeup and luck of the draw at conception, you'd be a girl. So it's not hard to see that angle in a multiverse as, someone was born a girl instead of a boy in another reality from the same parents, or has one different parent, or any number of small differences. The multiverse is literally a bunch of branches of "What if" where different decisions lead to different outcomes. That can happen at the micro-level with chromosomes.

They don't really explain it on the show in any significant way, they just expect that the multiverse is a branched reality with a tonne of different outcomes.

So like in the forthcoming WHAT IF? show for example...Yondu kidnaps T'Challa from Wakanda instead of Peter Quill from Cleveland, and T'Challa becomes Starlord in the GOTG instead of Peter. All of which stems from some small decision Yondu and the Ravagers made as to where they landed on Earth.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#745 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits

Posted 27 July 2021 - 03:38 PM

I figured the alligator was a lark by the writers, the rest yeah, maybe your folks were facing north instead of South when doing the do and you came out a lady

#746 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 27 July 2021 - 04:39 PM

View PostBriar King, on 27 July 2021 - 04:13 PM, said:

Yeah but you’d be your sister and not really you. You wouldn’t exist.

Huh? No. Let's say you have a sister...you'd still be you, but would be a girl and your sister would have a sister instead of a brother. It's still you at the genetic level. All that's different is that you have that Y Chromosome instead of the double XX.

#747 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits

Posted 27 July 2021 - 04:42 PM

the idea is the slightest change changes a persons story and life path as far as I can see it.

if you were by nature because of your parents an evil bastard for example. you'd be an evil bastard regardless of gender. pretend you're setting up a DnD character, where the rolls are the same but the appearance changes.

#748 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon

Posted 27 July 2021 - 07:57 PM

Finished Loki. Not so in sync with the comics and general MCU knowledge so I may have missed a couple of bits... I'll spoiler it from here.

Spoiler

A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#749 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits

Posted 27 July 2021 - 08:28 PM

Spoiler

in my opinion anyway

#750 User is offline   D'rek 

• Consort of High House Mafia
  • Group: Super Moderators

Posted 28 July 2021 - 03:04 PM

I'm aware that I'm completely overthinking this far more than the writers did, but... why does the TVA bring in variants for judgment anyway?

There's one "sacred timeline". Sometimes something weird happens and the timeline branches. The TVA thinks that's bad, so they teleport to that branched timeline, drop the little reset bomb, and teleport out. The reset bomb goes off and destroys the branch, restoring things back to one single sacred timeline.

Isn't everyone in that whole timeline branch a variant? And the reset bomb prunes all of them, so what's the point of bringing one particular person back to the court rather than just leave them in that timeline branch to be pruned by the reset bomb like everyone else?

View PostMacros, on 27 July 2021 - 08:28 PM, said:

Spoiler

in my opinion anyway

They never did anything with the jetski bit, so I would bet Loki brings that up and befriends him all over again based on that.

Anyhoo, I'm done now and as for me personally Loki was probably my least favourite Marvel anything. I found it very boring and uninspired.

View Postworrywort, on 14 September 2012 - 08:07 PM, said:

I kinda love it when D'rek unleashes her nerd wrath, as I knew she would here. Sorry innocent bystanders, but someone's gotta be the kindling.

#751 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 29 July 2021 - 11:37 PM

huh, well I'll be damned, Scarlett Johansson is suing Disney. Didn't read the details, but thought I saw something about it has something to do with releasing Black Widow to streaming and theaters at the same time. Fascinating.

#752 User is offline   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant

Posted 30 July 2021 - 12:33 AM

View PostMalankazooie, on 29 July 2021 - 11:37 PM, said:

huh, well I'll be damned, Scarlett Johansson is suing Disney. Didn't read the details, but thought I saw something about it has something to do with releasing Black Widow to streaming and theaters at the same time. Fascinating.

'The suit alleges that Johansson agreed that her salary for the film would be based, in large part, on the film's box office haul.

"To maximize these receipts, and thereby protect her financial interests, Ms. Johansson extracted a promise from Marvel that the release of the picture would be a 'theatrical release,'"

https://www.cnn.com/...suit/index.html

#753 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits

Posted 30 July 2021 - 07:15 AM

Just give her a cut of Disney premium money
Solved

#754 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 30 July 2021 - 06:59 PM

Seems like there is momentum building and this could be a trend - Emma Stone could be suing Disney over Cruella.

I hope more will follow and the floodgates open because I loathe Disney for a lot of their bullshit, but lets be honest, Disney could rummage under the driver's side car seat, or under the sofa cushion, and find more than enough chump change to settle any of these lawsuits.

#755 User is offline   Cause 

• Elder God

Posted 01 August 2021 - 07:04 PM

View PostMalankazooie, on 30 July 2021 - 06:59 PM, said:

Seems like there is momentum building and this could be a trend - Emma Stone could be suing Disney over Cruella.

I hope more will follow and the floodgates open because I loathe Disney for a lot of their bullshit, but lets be honest, Disney could rummage under the driver's side car seat, or under the sofa cushion, and find more than enough chump change to settle any of these lawsuits.

Not sure this counts as Disney evil. Disney letting us watch these shows at home during a pandemic was good for the customer. The box office of black widow crashing has many reasons one of which is definitely covid. Yes watching on Disney plus and piracy are two others for sure.

I’m sure they can figure something out.

#756 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 02 August 2021 - 12:16 AM

View PostCause, on 01 August 2021 - 07:04 PM, said:

Not sure this counts as Disney evil. Disney letting us watch these shows at home during a pandemic was good for the customer. The box office of black widow crashing has many reasons one of which is definitely covid. Yes watching on Disney plus and piracy are two others for sure.

I’m sure they can figure something out.

The contracts negotiated meant that Johansson would get paid in relation to how much the movie theater revenue was. They did not deal extensively with streaming - which means the company has actual incentive to cut her out to a degree, push this on streaming as much as possible, and make more money than the original intent was - while she makes less money.

Suing is a logical and probably safe thing to do - and a star like Johansson doing it means that others like Emma Stone or Gerard Butler can sue to address their screwovers. This has industry wide consequences.

A "good" company would have renegotiated the original contract to include streaming, but they didn't. The movie stars don't really have the power to initiate major revisions or to predict a pandemic when they engage in the work three years ago and don't have the institutional power that Marvel/Disney does.

Don't carry water for the mega corps. They don't need the help and make it hard for us to carry our own water.
I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

#757 User is offline   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant

Posted 02 August 2021 - 12:36 AM

View PostCause, on 01 August 2021 - 07:04 PM, said:

I'm sure they can figure something out.

In terms of Good and Evil---no one should be paid that much for acting. (If that's not already in the Bible it should be scribbled in.) Especially not an actor who made me think she was intelligent, or at least willing to minimally educate herself, only to prove terribly otherwise (in choosing to do that movie which falsely claimed 'you only use 10% of your brain', among other things).

Suppose Disney said they were going to stiff all their rich actors and other rich employees who they don't deem virtuous enough to competently reinvest the money, and instead donate what they agreed to pay them to charity. Would that be for the Greater Good? Well, maybe.

But they'd still be breaking a contractual agreement, as they seem to be in this case. It's not like they're 'virtuously' distributing it for 'free' (not even as an ad for their paid service, or supported by ads). Since SJ is out of the Marvel franchise, if the allegations are true they're essentially stiffing her to keep more money for themselves. Vast majority of Earth religions and moralities would consider that Evil (unless done by the religious leaders...). But in the modern world, we should really move beyond 'Morality', to ethics... and from an ethical standpoint hell no they shouldn't be allowed to get away with this. It's egregious corporate malfeasance.

[Edit: I was wrong about Disney+ not being cheaper than seeing it in the theater, assuming they allow one month subscriptions. Apparently about $1.16 cheaper on average.]

This post has been edited by Azath Vitr (D'ivers: 02 August 2021 - 12:44 AM

#758 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 02 August 2021 - 05:17 PM

One of the reasons why this Johansson lawsuit has industry wide effects is because the streaming platforms have been reluctant to pay residuals into unions for the non-megastars - including IATSE's healthcare and pension, which is making life for the lowest levels and most precarious film industry workers more unstable than ever.

The unions have not managed to push onto the streaming platforms the same agreements that allowed so many to survive in the increasingly more expensive movie industry/LA area and that battle is ongoing.
I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

#759 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 02 August 2021 - 07:30 PM

So I read some early reactions to What If...? and it's supposed to be jahmazeballs.

Is this show going to drop all at once? Or are they going to release episodes weekly?

#760 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 03 August 2021 - 03:47 PM

Finished Loki.

Meh.

1-2 episodes were cool. Great set-up.

3-4 episodes were terrible garbage with awful CGI.

Episode 5 was awesome if preposterous.

Episode 6 was stupid bullshit and if that is their setup for the Next Big Bad they fucked it all up.

They somehow managed to make me think even less of Loki by the end of the show than I did at the start.

One thing I will say is that is that it gave me an urge to go look up a certain time traveling villain in Marvel Unlimited.

This post has been edited by Aptorian: 03 August 2021 - 03:49 PM

Share this topic:

• 54 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users