Malazan Empire: The Marvel Cinematic Universe Thread - Malazan Empire

• 54 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

The Marvel Cinematic Universe Thread Awww yissssss!

#241 User is offline   Nicodimas 

• Soletaken
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=XbGs_qK2PQA

Posted 20 July 2018 - 09:42 PM

View PostMacros, on 20 July 2018 - 08:57 PM, said:

Holy fuck, I take that back.

I assumed (for some reason) that Gunn was quite young (like 30) and these were a few tweets sent back in his early twenties as a form of the black/shock comedy thing. Not that plethora of what the fuck

Yea Macros. I so wanted to give him the benefit of a doubt and then read them.
Plethora of wtf is right./hah.

Anyhow guess we will see who gets Guardians 3.

On that note, he deleted 10,000 tweets!!!. I feel like your publicist once you make it famous/big would have you go back and delete this. Granted the net never forgets, but at least try ??

And how did Disney miss this on the background check, you think the lawyers/Pr division woulda pointed this out.
-If it's ka it'll come like a wind, and your plans will stand before it no more than a barn before a cyclone

#242 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 20 July 2018 - 10:07 PM

On the other hand, I'm reading the whole get-James-Gunn-fired thing was a concerted campaign by Mike Cernovich, the literally pro-rape & white power Gamergate/alt-right lawyer grifter, who was just aiming to take out a liberal. Sucks to give him a victory. But Gunn's tweets really are that bad, so a lose-lose all around.
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#243 User is offline   Salt-Man Z 

• My pen halts, though I do not
  • View gallery

Posted 21 July 2018 - 05:09 AM

At least his apology seemed heartfelt and classy, and of the "I'm sorry" variety, as opposed to the "I'm sorry if you were offended" BS that's been so popular lately.
"Here is light. You will say that it is not a living entity, but you miss the point that it is more, not less. Without occupying space, it fills the universe. It nourishes everything, yet itself feeds upon destruction. We claim to control it, but does it not perhaps cultivate us as a source of food? May it not be that all wood grows so that it can be set ablaze, and that men and women are born to kindle fires?"
―Gene Wolfe, The Citadel of the Autarch

#244 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 21 July 2018 - 05:33 AM

... yet the American people won't fire Trump for his tweets.

What a world.

I still think the JG tweets are just bad jokes. Meh.

Anyhoo, I've read a fair amount of online critical love for Ant-Man and the Wasp, I can't recall seeing a consensus on here.
Or do I have to plumb the depths of the Big Movie Thread?

This post has been edited by Tsundoku: 21 July 2018 - 05:35 AM

"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"Well well well ... if it ain't The Invisible C**t." - Billy Butcher, The Boys

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#245 User is offline   Nicodimas 

• Soletaken
  • https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=XbGs_qK2PQA

Posted 21 July 2018 - 05:55 AM

View PostTsundoku, on 21 July 2018 - 05:33 AM, said:

... yet the American people won't fire Trump for his tweets.

..I don’t understand. Trumps our duly elected president ..you know ?
-If it's ka it'll come like a wind, and your plans will stand before it no more than a barn before a cyclone

#246 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 21 July 2018 - 06:35 AM

The president is also meant to be a bastion of morality and ethics to his people.

You think the GOP would have just shrugged and said "what can you do" if Obama or Hilary had done or said just a tenth of the crazy shit Trump has been up to?

#247 User is offline   Mezla PigDog 

• Malazan Yo Yo Champion 2009
  • Group: Mezla's Thought Police

Posted 21 July 2018 - 07:39 AM

I had to re-read the tweets to figure out what's so bad. Only the Three Men and a Baby one made me wince but the hashtag gives context. The Expendables one made me laugh.... Bad taste and bad judgement aren't yet crimes thank goodness. Still it doesn't gel with the Disney brand so I understand the firing.

Sombra - I saw Antman with no prior knowledge. Really enjoyed it so looking forward to catching the second.

This post has been edited by Mezla PigDog: 21 July 2018 - 07:40 AM

Burn rubber =/= warp speed

#248 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 21 July 2018 - 08:33 AM

Even though I'm not particularly forgiving of many of these jokes, I kinda suspect this will actually be the most widely held opinion at the end of the day, if sanity holds: https://www.thedaily...right-wing-mobs
Cernovich is about as transparently disingenuous a dumbass as you can find, so it'd be rad if he ultimately destroyed himself with all this hitting above his weight. Though I wouldn't hold my breath, I guess.

#249 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 21 July 2018 - 03:43 PM

I'm just bummed because Gunn got the best out of Vin Diesel. I mean, Diesel really became Groot. I just don't think another director will be able to pull out of Diesel such command of the Groot character. We shall see I guess.

#250 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 08 August 2018 - 05:42 PM

This Pro Publica piece goes deep into how the Marvel Entertainment president is rigging veterans healthcare to kinda be what he wants for his own businesses and to simultaneously enrich people like him.

https://www.propubli...ulers-of-the-va

This is part of why I'm deeply skeptical about the majority of the Disney/Marvel/Fox entertainment conglomerate producing more than somewhat funny pablum most times out. They're using the money and power we give them to hurt people slowly in this kind of way.
I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

#251 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 08 August 2018 - 06:17 PM

View Postamphibian, on 08 August 2018 - 05:42 PM, said:

This Pro Publica piece goes deep into how the Marvel Entertainment president is rigging veterans healthcare to kinda be what he wants for his own businesses and to simultaneously enrich people like him.

https://www.propubli...ulers-of-the-va

This is part of why I'm deeply skeptical about the majority of the Disney/Marvel/Fox entertainment conglomerate producing more than somewhat funny pablum most times out. They're using the money and power we give them to hurt people slowly in this kind of way.

Ike Perlmutter isn't in charge of the MCU or the film wing in any way, shape or form though. Feige and Alan Horn are in charge of the MCU (Marvel Studios) exclusively with zero oversight by Perlmutter, who is ostensibly only in charge of the Comics arm (Marvel Entertainment) which is currently LEAGUES behind DC in sales worse than they have ever been. He's increasingly irrelevant to Marvel, let alone Disney. The merger between Disney and Fox is occurring at the higher level of Bob Iger and the Disney shareholders, and will fall entirely under the purview of Kevin Feige and Alan Horn and no one else. Perlmutter can't touch it...in fact Kevin Feige HATES Perlmutter, and around the time of A: AoU he even went so far as have Alan Horn call rank on even Ike's MILD attempts to fuck with the MCU...and Horn told Ike in no uncertain terms he was to stay far away.

This post has been edited by QuickTidal: 08 August 2018 - 06:39 PM

"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#252 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 08 August 2018 - 08:17 PM

I think you are underestimating my scope - I'm not talking just the movies. The comics, the toys, the TV shows, the merchandise, and more all have certain assumptions built behind them.

I don't think Feige is particularly progressive either,even if he's considerably more so than Perlmutter.
I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

#253 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 08 August 2018 - 08:46 PM

Mods can we move all of QT's posts about Bob Iger into their own thread. I don't come to this board to read that!

#254 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 08 August 2018 - 09:07 PM

View Postamphibian, on 08 August 2018 - 08:17 PM, said:

I think you are underestimating my scope - I'm not talking just the movies. The comics, the toys, the TV shows, the merchandise, and more all have certain assumptions built behind them.

I don't think Feige is particularly progressive either,even if he's considerably more so than Perlmutter.

That’s nice.. This thread is about th MCU, and you spoke about not trusting the merger, which is exclusively to do with the films.

And your article doesn’t touch Feige...nor do you have much to go on to disparage him in the same breath as a garbage demon like Perlmutter...who your article is about.

This post has been edited by QuickTidal: 08 August 2018 - 10:59 PM

"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#255 User is offline   Coco with marshmallows 

• DIIIIIIIIIIVVVEEEEE
  • Group: LHTEC

Posted 11 August 2018 - 06:32 PM

Got round to Ant Man and the Wasp.

it's okay, think it suffers coming straight after Ragnarok and Infinity War (comfortably 2 of my favourite Marvels' to date) and also a lack of a primary central antagonist.

decent overall though, so can't complain.
meh. Link was dead :(

#256 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 14 August 2018 - 08:38 PM

Just finished.

Loved the post credit.

Regarding the film overall. I enjoyed it a lot more than Infinity war, it's up there with GotG and Ragnarok for me in terms of sheer enjoyment.

I felt the antagonist(s?) Were fine. One had a much more compelling motivation that the standard greed or manical evil plan (ONE HUNDRED BILLION DOLLARS MUWAHAHAHA A)

It was fast, it was fun, it didn't take it self too seriously and yet it had heart. Its basically (for me) what a superhero movie should be.

The use of the Pimm tech in the action scenes makes the over the top action very palatable and entertaining. Nothing will ever top the train fight in one though

#257 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 24 August 2018 - 07:55 AM

Also, the truth serum scene is gold

#258 User is offline   Cause 

• Elder God

Posted 24 August 2018 - 11:57 AM

View PostMacros, on 24 August 2018 - 07:55 AM, said:

Also, the truth serum scene is gold

I liked that scene but otherwise hate that trio. I really wanted it to last longer. I wanted him to basically be uncrackable because he would never shut up but also never get to the point.

I felt it was a middling Marvel movie. Also I don't normally pick this stuff up but it had some shocking cuts. I presume it needed to be trimmed badly from a length point of view maybe.

#259 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 31 August 2018 - 03:37 PM

Saw this on Reddit and loved it. Worth a post for the editing alone.

This post has been edited by QuickTidal: 31 August 2018 - 03:38 PM

#260 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 05 September 2018 - 12:50 PM

Eyes peeled, EW and Brie Larsen teased that the CAPTAIN MARVEL trailer is dropping today....and I am SO beyond HYPED. I LOVE the character, and Larsen...this is gonna be EPIC.

EDIT: Lasren's tweet said "break the internet"...which is what makes people think it's a trailer...but Reddit is more subdued claiming that EW doesn't "do" trailers and it will be a "first look poster or images" with a trailer running this weekend?

I'm still optimistic though...as I don't see "images" or a "poster" "breaking the internet" like a trailer will.

Ay any rate, trailer IS incoming....just may not be today.

This post has been edited by QuickTidal: 05 September 2018 - 02:01 PM

Share this topic:

• 54 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

4 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 4 guests, 0 anonymous users