• You cannot reply to this topic

ICE's next book: "Dancer's Lament"

#61 User is offline   Deck of Dragons 

• Lieutenant
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 19 August 2015 - 01:21 PM

View PostJussi, on 22 May 2015 - 09:26 AM, said:

http://edelweiss.abo...?sku=0765379449

Esslemont's all-new trilogy takes readers deeper into the politics and intrigue of the New York Times bestselling Malazan Empire

Dancer's Lament focuses on the genesis of the empire. This new prequel trilogy features Dancer, the skilled assassin, who, alongside the mage Kellanved, would found the Malazan empire.

Sounds awesome!!! I'm on the last 20 pages of Assail and will finish tonight. I really like the focus on this upcoming trilogy and hope to see Surly in there as well!

#62 User is offline   Jussi 

• Sergeant

Posted 07 September 2015 - 02:14 PM

New blurb for Dancer's Lament:

Taking Malazan fans back to that troubled continent's turbulent early history, the opening chapter in Ian C. Esslemont's epic new fantasy sequence, the Path to Ascendancy trilogy.

For ages warfare has crippled the continent as minor city states, baronies, and principates fought in an endless round of hostilitites. Only the alliance of the rival Tali and Quon cities could field the resources to mount a hegemony from coast to coast - and thus become known as Quon Tali.

It is a generation since the collapse of this dynasty and regional powers are once more rousing themselves. Into this arena of renewed border wars come two youths to the powerful central city state that is Li Heng. One is named Dorin, and he comes determined to prove himself the most skilled assassin of his age; he is chasing the other youth - a Dal Hon mage who has proven himself annoyingly difficult to kill.

Li Heng has been guided and warded for centuries by the powerful sorceress known as the "Protectress" and she allows no rivals. She and her cabal of five mage servants were enough to repel the Quon Tali Iron Legions - what could two youths hope to accomplish under their stifling rule?

Yet under the new and ambitious King Chulalorn the Third, Itko Kan is on the march from the south. He sends his own assassin servants, the Nightblades, against the city, and there are hints that he also commands inhuman forces out of legend.

While above all, shadows swirl oddly about Li Heng, and monstrous slathering beasts seem to appear from nowhere to run howling through the street. It is a time of chaos and upheaval, and in chaos, as the young Dal Hon mage would say, there is opportunity.

http://www.amazon.co.../dp/0593074343/

#63 User is offline   Andorion 

• God
  • Interests:All things Malazan, sundry sci-fi and fantasy, history, Iron Maiden

Posted 07 September 2015 - 02:17 PM

I am drooling.

Sooo clearly a RotCG reread will be necessary before this book comes out as ICE included multiple references to Kellanved and Dancers activities in Li Heng.

#64 User is offline   Anzeus 

• Recruit

Posted 07 September 2015 - 03:10 PM

I hope ICE will do better this time... Why? I was SOOOO eager to read Assail since there were many mentions and hints in the books, so many secrets connected to this terrible place, etc..., but at the end I was very disappointed...

So I hope he makes them characters dance in these books :p

#65 User is offline   Salt-Man Z 

• My pen halts, though I do not
  • View gallery

Posted 08 September 2015 - 04:37 AM

I did have to roll my eyes at "Dorin" (ICE sure loves his "you know who this guy is, but I'ma give him a new name and hope you don't") but it does sound promising.
"Here is light. You will say that it is not a living entity, but you miss the point that it is more, not less. Without occupying space, it fills the universe. It nourishes everything, yet itself feeds upon destruction. We claim to control it, but does it not perhaps cultivate us as a source of food? May it not be that all wood grows so that it can be set ablaze, and that men and women are born to kindle fires?"
―Gene Wolfe, The Citadel of the Autarch

#66 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 08 September 2015 - 04:40 AM

Dorin is Explorin' for sure. Sounds good though, especially the thought that Kel might at first have been a target.
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#67 User is offline   Lycaenion 

• Captain

Posted 08 September 2015 - 08:18 AM

View Postworry, on 08 September 2015 - 04:40 AM, said:

Dorin is Explorin' for sure. Sounds good though, especially the thought that Kel might at first have been a target.

LOL. I don't know how to feel about the name change. Can't Dancer just have been named Dancer at birth? Perhaps he came out of the womb with a mean high kick and a tutu. JK. I too dislike giving established characters new names just because *wink wink you know who this guy is, right?*
Be Your Own Hero

#68 User is offline   Puck 

• Mausetöter

Posted 08 September 2015 - 09:44 AM

View PostLycaenion, on 08 September 2015 - 08:18 AM, said:

LOL. I don't know how to feel about the name change. Can't Dancer just have been named Dancer at birth? Perhaps he came out of the womb with a mean high kick and a tutu. JK. I too dislike giving established characters new names just because *wink wink you know who this guy is, right?*

Same, pretty much. It could've been better hadn't ICE used that same stunt before. I mean, someone not having been born with the name 'Dancer'? Sure, makes sense. But what makes me more leery is everything else. Enemies becoming best buddies? Sure. Just can't help the itch that I've seen this so many times before it's become corny. If I had more trust in ICE I'd be all 'so what?', but I don't. And then it's called Dancer's Lament...

Not that I'm complaining. Iirc, this and FoL are supposed to be released within the same month, so I won't be reading the former until I have inhaled and memorized every word of the latter.

This post has been edited by Puckstein: 08 September 2015 - 09:45 AM

Puck was not birthed, she was cleaved from a lava flow and shaped by a fierce god's hands. - [worry]
Ninja Puck, Ninja Puck, really doesn't give a fuck..? - [King Lear]

#69 User is offline   Lycaenion 

• Captain

Posted 08 September 2015 - 09:48 AM

View PostPuckstein, on 08 September 2015 - 09:44 AM, said:

View PostLycaenion, on 08 September 2015 - 08:18 AM, said:

Same, pretty much. It could've been better hadn't ICE used that same stunt before. I mean, someone not having been born with the name 'Dancer'? Sure, makes sense. But what makes me more leery is everything else. Enemies becoming best buddies? Sure. Just can't help the itch that I've seen this so many times before it's become corny. If I had more trust in ICE I'd be all 'so what?', but I don't. And then it's called Dancer's Lament...

Not that I'm complaining. Iirc, this and FoL are supposed to be released within the same month, so I won't be reading the former until I have inhaled and memorized every word of the latter.

I'm thinking of leaving ICE's new trilogy hanging for a while. I want to wait for all three of them to have come out and get some reviews/comments/discussions on this website. I'm looking forward to FOL though :p
Be Your Own Hero

#70 User is offline   Puck 

• Mausetöter

Posted 08 September 2015 - 05:17 PM

At the very least, I am going to wait until there are some reviews/opinions on here about Dancer's Lament, just so I'll have an idea what to expect. I really don't want to be too negative about ICE, but there's also FoL, and maaan, I'm counting the days.
Puck was not birthed, she was cleaved from a lava flow and shaped by a fierce god's hands. - [worry]
Ninja Puck, Ninja Puck, really doesn't give a fuck..? - [King Lear]

#71 User is offline   Khazduk 

• Sergeant
  • Interests:Instant coffee

Posted 09 September 2015 - 12:04 PM

Opportunity? This is surely not the beginning of the Ferengi Alliance, is it? :harhar:

Sorry, my brain is still recovering from capt. H. A. Sawback and Willful Child... :(

#72 User is offline   Jussi 

• Sergeant

Posted 26 November 2015 - 08:34 AM

Cover art:

Posted Image

#73 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 26 November 2015 - 09:05 AM

Those skulls are tiny compared to that man's head.

#74 User is offline   Gorefest 

• Witness

Posted 26 November 2015 - 09:27 AM

Once it's seen, it cannot be unseen.

This post has been edited by Gorefest: 26 November 2015 - 09:28 AM

Yesterday, upon the stair, I saw a man who wasn't there. He wasn't there again today. Oh, how I wish he'd go away.

#75 User is offline   Siergiej 

• High Fist

Posted 26 November 2015 - 10:26 AM

Dat cover art. Almost as bad as the name Dorin. Looking forward to it though. I only read Knigh of Knives and Return of the Crimson Guard from ICE and I really enjoyed the latter, so I have high hopes for Dancer's Lament as well. Damn, Spring 2016 looks awesome :(

#76 User is offline   Nevyn 

• Shield Anvil

Posted 26 November 2015 - 02:42 PM

No real objection to the name Dorin, its an origin story and it was pretty clear Dancer was not his given name.

But that plot summary is not a great teaser for a prequel. They should have left the Imass and hounds hints out. Sure they can be in the story, but when the audience already know who the undead are, who ends up controlling them, and what those mysterious hounds are, it is just putting too many puzzle pieces out there.
Tatts early in SH game: Hmm, so if I'm liberal I should have voted Nein to make sure I'm president? I'm not that selfish

Tatts later in SAME game: I'm going to be a corrupt official. I have turned from my liberal ways, and now will vote against the pesky liberals. Viva la Fascism.
When Venge's turn comes, he will get a yes from Mess, Dolmen, Nevyn and Venge but a no from the 3 fascists and me. **** with my Government, and i'll **** with yours

#77 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 26 November 2015 - 07:16 PM

What audience?

#78 User is offline   Sue Sue Ridgepipe 

• Recruit

Posted 27 November 2015 - 04:26 AM

Any reason why there is not a separate entry for Dancer's Lament in the Forthcoming Publications sections of this forum?

#79 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 27 November 2015 - 04:29 AM

View Postworry, on 26 November 2015 - 07:16 PM, said:

What audience?

Shut up.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#80 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 27 November 2015 - 04:40 AM

That wasn't an ICE diss. I just don't think there's one audience. If FoD can be an entry point to the books, so can this.

Share this topic:

• 6 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users