• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

ICE's next book: "Dancer's Lament"

#41 User is offline   MrXIII 

• Blunt Claw
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Interests:Vital existence

Posted 10 December 2014 - 06:29 PM

I've enjoyed all of ICE's books thus far (Yes even the much maligned RotCG) so this cannot come out soon enough.

#42 User is offline   Luperci 

• Not Bruce Wayne
  • View gallery
  • Interests:Fighting crime and hanging with my Butler

Posted 13 December 2014 - 06:20 AM

View PostEgwene, on 18 September 2014 - 11:32 AM, said:

Are we maybe a bit too quick in thinking (hoping :crybaby: ) that this book is about The Dancer?!

After all, there are a lot of others. The book could be about the cult of the Shadow Dancers.

Its possible (probable in my opinion) that we will get to see the origin of the shadow dancers cult and whether that played a part in Dancer creating the Talon. Would be pretty nice to see the Talon and Claw facing off if Surly plays a part in these books.
The Harder the world, the fiercer the Honor.

-Dancer

#43 User is offline   heavymetaltroll 

• Sergeant

Posted 03 February 2015 - 08:43 AM

Hopefully we get to find out a little about Dancer's (probably) once and ambiguously mentioned daughter from RotCG some where in the early empire books.

#44 User is offline   BellaGrace 

• Witness

Posted 03 February 2015 - 05:20 PM

View Postheavymetaltroll, on 03 February 2015 - 08:43 AM, said:

Hopefully we get to find out a little about Dancer's (probably) once and ambiguously mentioned daughter from RotCG some where in the early empire books.

I don't know if I'm referencing the same thing as you are, but I remember a mention in one of the books were Cotillion said he had a daughter and needed to beg her forgiveness- I always took that to mean Apsalar (like a daughter to him).

This post has been edited by BellaGrace: 03 February 2015 - 05:21 PM

I, a universe of atoms, an atom in the universe.
Richard P. Feynman

#45 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 03 February 2015 - 07:48 PM

BG you're right. The "daughter" mentioned in RotCG by Ragman is even more ambiguously thought of: the father is not defined (either as Dancer or anybody else).
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#46 User is offline   heavymetaltroll 

• Sergeant

Posted 04 February 2015 - 05:41 AM

View Postworry, on 03 February 2015 - 07:48 PM, said:

BG you're right. The "daughter" mentioned in RotCG by Ragman is even more ambiguously thought of: the father is not defined (either as Dancer or anybody else).

'Wonderfully done! I has been a long time since I've seen his style.'
The woman - girl, he corrected himself - gave an elegant bow. 'You recognize it! My father taught me. And you ought not to have revealed your familiarity...'

While the father isn't defined, Ragman's emphasis on his seems to point to someone fairly potent, that Ragman (Topper) is intimately familiar with, and it can be fairly confidently assumed someone we already know. To me Dancer seems the only likely candidate, I certainly can't think of anybody else who could possibly fit. Regardless it's one of those questions that I would really like an answer to, and hopefully one is on it's way.

#47 User is offline   Cedz 

• Sergeant

Posted 11 March 2015 - 10:26 AM

Sadly I've just struggled to get into any of ICE's latest books. The early empire period has been one of my favourite parts of the Malazan history, but I just don't believe ICE can do it justice after what SE has already established. As always, just my opinion.

#48 User is offline   Gorefest 

• Witness

Posted 11 March 2015 - 10:29 AM

What exactly do you mean though with "what SE has already established"? Because they established the world setting together, not just SE.
Yesterday, upon the stair, I saw a man who wasn't there. He wasn't there again today. Oh, how I wish he'd go away.

#49 User is offline   Cedz 

• Sergeant

Posted 13 March 2015 - 12:01 AM

View PostGorefest, on 11 March 2015 - 10:29 AM, said:

What exactly do you mean though with "what SE has already established"? Because they established the world setting together, not just SE.

In my opinion there is a very big difference between creating a world for a DnD game, and having the skill to do complex world building for a ten book series that has as much historical weight as SE's Malazan Book of the Fallen evokes. It's SE's particular style and talent for layering that history throughout the story in such a satisfying way that I will miss.

It's all of the tantalising hints that SE has already woven through the Malazan story that reference so many fascinating events from the early empire history that I view as the existing foundation.

Unfortunately I just find it jarring whenever ICE visits such territory. Honestly it's not ICE's fault, I just find his style very different to SE's and it throws me off. I would love to read something of ICE's outside of the Malazan world so I could really appreciated his particular writing style on it's own merits instead of having the comparison to SE's writing always at the back of my mind.

#50 User is offline   Jussi 

• Sergeant

Posted 16 April 2015 - 10:08 AM

Dancer's Lament, Book One of Path to Ascendancy, will be published in February 2016:

http://www.amazon.co.../dp/0765379449/

#51 User is offline   Lycaenion 

• Captain

Posted 16 April 2015 - 06:10 PM

ICE is an uneven writer, and his track record isn't exactly stellar. Only time will tell.

My second worry is that ICE never really delivered (IMHO) when it comes to epic characters, with a possible exception of Dassem. And Dancer will be very hard to pull off without descending into banality.

THIS, so much. I didn't like NOK that much, I still hate Kiska after all this time and Kyle...well...Kyle's all right now I guess. I read his books because they're part of the Malazan world, but he's uneven and dare I say it, 'merely competent.' I have not had any kind of strong emotions when I read his books. No laughters, no tears. I won't ever reread his books, and I reread nearly all of my books: that's how little impression they had on me.

IMHO, he just doesn't come close to Erikson's level. And that's all right, but I'd rather have him write something completely of his own, than write something Malazan again. Sure, I'll definitely read it because Dancer's one of my favs, but I'm not expecting much from the book itself. And that's a shame, because I want to be excited about another Malazan book, but I'm just...not.Posted Image

This post has been edited by Lycaenion: 22 May 2015 - 03:45 PM

Be Your Own Hero

#52 User is offline   Jussi 

• Sergeant

Posted 22 May 2015 - 09:26 AM

http://edelweiss.abo...?sku=0765379449

Esslemont's all-new trilogy takes readers deeper into the politics and intrigue of the New York Times bestselling Malazan Empire

Dancer's Lament focuses on the genesis of the empire. This new prequel trilogy features Dancer, the skilled assassin, who, alongside the mage Kellanved, would found the Malazan empire.

#53 User is offline   Lycaenion 

• Captain

Posted 22 May 2015 - 03:46 PM

View PostJussi, on 22 May 2015 - 09:26 AM, said:

http://edelweiss.abo...?sku=0765379449

Esslemont's all-new trilogy takes readers deeper into the politics and intrigue of the New York Times bestselling Malazan Empire

Dancer's Lament focuses on the genesis of the empire. This new prequel trilogy features Dancer, the skilled assassin, who, alongside the mage Kellanved, would found the Malazan empire.

Wow wow, it's part of a trilogy?
Be Your Own Hero

#54 User is offline   Salt-Man Z 

• My pen halts, though I do not
  • View gallery

Posted 26 May 2015 - 02:52 AM

View PostLycaenion, on 22 May 2015 - 03:46 PM, said:

Wow wow, it's part of a trilogy?

Well, it's Book One of "Path to Ascendancy", which I would have assumed to be a minimum of three books. (Duologies seem a rare thing these days.)
"Here is light. You will say that it is not a living entity, but you miss the point that it is more, not less. Without occupying space, it fills the universe. It nourishes everything, yet itself feeds upon destruction. We claim to control it, but does it not perhaps cultivate us as a source of food? May it not be that all wood grows so that it can be set ablaze, and that men and women are born to kindle fires?"
―Gene Wolfe, The Citadel of the Autarch

#55 User is offline   Jussi 

• Sergeant

Posted 24 June 2015 - 08:24 PM

Looks like the book has been pushed back to April:

http://edelweiss.abo...&sku=0765379449

#56 User is offline   Whisperzzzzzzz 

• Reaper's Fail

Posted 24 June 2015 - 09:36 PM

More time to get it right! :)

#57 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 25 June 2015 - 01:41 AM

Wondering whether the whole trilo is Dancer-centric, or if 2 and 3 may focus on Kellanved and Dassem, or perhaps Surly. On the strength of RCG I would dearly love to read a Surly/Laseen focused book by ICE.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#58 User is offline   Lycaenion 

• Captain

Posted 25 June 2015 - 09:01 AM

View PostAbyss, on 25 June 2015 - 01:41 AM, said:

Wondering whether the whole trilo is Dancer-centric, or if 2 and 3 may focus on Kellanved and Dassem, or perhaps Surly. On the strength of RCG I would dearly love to read a Surly/Laseen focused book by ICE.

Might be he will focus on one or two characters each book of the trilogy? Like one will be Dancer (and maybe Kellanved), two will be Dassem (and his daughter?) and three will be about Surly becoming Laseen or something?
Be Your Own Hero

#59 User is offline   Esa1996 

• Fist

Posted 03 July 2015 - 10:55 PM

View PostLycaenion, on 25 June 2015 - 09:01 AM, said:

View PostAbyss, on 25 June 2015 - 01:41 AM, said:

Might be he will focus on one or two characters each book of the trilogy? Like one will be Dancer (and maybe Kellanved), two will be Dassem (and his daughter?) and three will be about Surly becoming Laseen or something?

If it's pre-Empire I don't think we'll get to see Laseen. That's a hundred years after the founding of the Empire after all.

#60 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 03 July 2015 - 11:07 PM

Laseen, maybe not. Surly? You betcha. She's Old Guard.
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

Share this topic:

• 6 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users