• You cannot reply to this topic

ICE's next book: "Dancer's Lament"

#21 User is offline   Hetan 

• Chief Cook and Bottle Washer
  • View gallery
  • Group: Mezla's Thought Police

Posted 12 September 2014 - 08:58 AM

View PostIlluyankas, on 11 September 2014 - 09:46 PM, said:

I want ICE to write Dancer's Lament as a pre-Empire book but in secret, and in public pretend it's a touching story of a ballet dancer called Ropunzel putting his life back together after a horrific knee injury leaves him unable to ever dance again, and the subsequent career he takes up in middle management and the co-ownership of a successful cocktail bar with his friends, Kel Anders, Sue Lee and Des Ultron. And I mean posting excerpts with a straight face.

I want to be that person ^^ - I'm currently looking at a new career/life path and you might have just hit the nail on the head :D

View PostWhisperzzzzzzz, on 12 September 2014 - 02:18 AM, said:

I hadn't yet read FoD, and this is really disappointing :p

I loved the
Spoiler
theory.

Also, you should probably spoiler tag your post.

Hmmm .. it's life, it's Malazan, get over it already? But I think you'll find enough in there to make it a worth while read for ya. :p

View PostGarak, on 12 September 2014 - 06:49 AM, said:

When is it ever?

and this made me Lol.. .
"He was not a modest man. Contemplating suicide, he summoned a dragon". (Gothos' Folly)- Gothos

#22 User is offline   Salt-Man Z 

• My pen halts, though I do not
  • View gallery
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 12 September 2014 - 04:01 PM

View PostHetan (Also Actually Possibly Mal), on 11 September 2014 - 09:33 PM, said:

I think in a way that maybe that's what ICE should do - write something for himself.

I'd actually love to see ICE write something non-Malazan. A lot of the grief he gets is for his handling of characters/plots that SE introduced. Getting out of SE's shadow would give people a fresh chance at judging ICE's work on its own terms.
"Here is light. You will say that it is not a living entity, but you miss the point that it is more, not less. Without occupying space, it fills the universe. It nourishes everything, yet itself feeds upon destruction. We claim to control it, but does it not perhaps cultivate us as a source of food? May it not be that all wood grows so that it can be set ablaze, and that men and women are born to kindle fires?"
―Gene Wolfe, The Citadel of the Autarch

#23 User is online   champ 

• Omnipotent Overseer of the Universe
  • Group: Team Quick Ben

Posted 12 September 2014 - 06:03 PM

If the book is in the form of a novella or more like NoK then I am more confident that ICE can pull this off.

I hope he just lets loose and has fun with the book, bring a bit of that Manask comedy to the book, he's shown he can write a great dual act with Manask and Ipshank so hopefully we get that with Kellanved and Dancer!

I am sure that every fan here thinks of the pre empire days as awesome, ass kicking shenanigans, I hope that is what we're given and not some lame ass revelations that ruin it, think Apt said similar above!

Overall though, more stories of Dancer... awesome!

Tehol said:

'Yet my heart breaks for a naked hen.'

#24 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 13 September 2014 - 05:18 AM

I'm in. I'm totally in. ICE has only gotten better and I look fwd to whatever he does with this.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#25 User is offline   Defiance 

• Vicariously I live while the whole world dies
  • Interests:Malazan, RPGs, writing

Posted 13 September 2014 - 09:12 AM

I thought Night of Knives was boring and found Return of the Crimson Guard to be a complete mess, but otherwise I've enjoyed ICE's work. Looking forward to this one. And that title is damn good.
uhm, that should be 'stuff.' My stiff is never nihilistic.
~Steven Erikson

Mythwood: Play-by-post RP board.

#26 User is offline   Malaclypse 

• Banned User
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Banned Users

Posted 13 September 2014 - 12:49 PM

@Defiance: I don't understand how you can feel that way about NoK but fair play, everyone's entitled etc. I still think it was his best book just due to the pacing, that was some rapid-fire plot advancement! Something that we hadn't seen from Steve as such and I was imagining a Gemmell for the Malazan material and I was really excited about that.

And then RotCG happened - le sigh - my reaction to this book is almost certainly why he doesn't talk to me anymore but goddammit, I could have fixed so much of that stuff and I wasn't even asking for money - grrrr, arrrgh!

But anyway, I agree that Cam is getting better and the crucible that he's been forced to endure is monumental. I don't think I could muster that kind of courage without a desperate need to get my ideas out there and he's done that so I will full-on kowtow to that man next time I see him - not trying to be insulting to him, but it's almost like a fan elevated themself and forced their way into the world - like any of us could do this if we wanted it bad enough. That's the way I feel about Cam though he may not thank me for it :p

This post has been edited by Malaclypse: 13 September 2014 - 01:42 PM

#27 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 13 September 2014 - 09:55 PM

How does that line up with the fact that he co created the world w SE?
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#28 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 14 September 2014 - 06:18 AM

Well, as prequels go it has to be truly horrendous to be worse than the Star Wars ones. :p

Just as long as he doesn't contradict what he has already written, observes continuity, writes (and sticks to) a basic one-page coherent timeline and doesn't go all artsy-fartsy with his writing style it should be OK. Fingers crossed. I figure we're safe with the "tries to appeal to a younger age group" thing. I doubt there's much to be made from merchandising either.
"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"Well well well ... if it ain't The Invisible C**t." - Billy Butcher, The Boys

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#29 User is offline   blackzoid 

• Mortal Sword

Posted 15 September 2014 - 05:38 PM

I've loved/liked all of ICE's books except for RoTCG which I really detested.
But he has come on in massive leaps and bounds since then and I am very happy with where he is now.

This post has been edited by blackzoid: 15 September 2014 - 05:45 PM

#30 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 15 September 2014 - 05:39 PM

These guesses mean nothing without real money on the line.
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#31 User is offline   TheRetiredBridgeburner 

• House Knight

Posted 15 September 2014 - 05:55 PM

Hell yes! Posted Image
- Wyrd bið ful aræd -

#32 User is offline   Saitama 

• B-Class Superhero

Posted 16 September 2014 - 10:58 AM

I'm on the fence. If he will maintain 'Assail' level, then it should be fine. But ICE is an uneven writer, and his track record isn't exactly stellar. Only time will tell.

My second worry is that ICE never really delivered (IMHO) when it comes to epic characters, with a possible exception of Dassem. And Dancer will be very hard to pull off without descending into banality.

#33 User is offline   Egwene 

• Emperor

Posted 18 September 2014 - 11:32 AM

Are we maybe a bit too quick in thinking (hoping :) ) that this book is about The Dancer?!

After all, there are a lot of others. The book could be about the cult of the Shadow Dancers.

#34 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 18 September 2014 - 03:44 PM

The real question we should all be asking ourselves is whether we are human or are we Dancer?

#35 User is offline   Illuyankas 

• Retro Classic
  • Group: The Hateocracy of Truth
  • Will cluck you up

Posted 18 September 2014 - 03:48 PM

Well if you're not Dancer then you're no friends of mine.
Hello, soldiers, look at your mage, now back to me, now back at your mage, now back to me. Sadly, he isn’t me, but if he stopped being an unascended mortal and switched to Sole Spice, he could smell like he’s me. Look down, back up, where are you? You’re in a warren with the High Mage your cadre mage could smell like. What’s in your hand, back at me. I have it, it’s an acorn with two gates to that realm you love. Look again, the acorn is now otataral. Anything is possible when your mage smells like Sole Spice and not a Bole brother. I’m on a quorl.

#36 User is offline   Andorion 

• God
  • Interests:All things Malazan, sundry sci-fi and fantasy, history, Iron Maiden

Posted 18 September 2014 - 04:57 PM

An extended look at the tragic love life of Lostara Yil and her army of Shadow Dancers?

#37 User is offline   Malaclypse 

• Banned User
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Banned Users

Posted 19 September 2014 - 07:55 AM

View PostApt, on 18 September 2014 - 03:44 PM, said:

The real question we should all be asking ourselves is whether we are human or are we Dancer?

LOL, I always wondered when listening to that song, with a smile, how stoned do you have to be to ask this question?

This post has been edited by Malaclypse: 19 September 2014 - 07:56 AM

#38 User is online   champ 

• Omnipotent Overseer of the Universe

Posted 19 September 2014 - 08:05 AM

I know one thing... Rhythm is a Dancer!

Tehol said:

'Yet my heart breaks for a naked hen.'

#39 User is offline   Kanubis 

• Captain of Team Quick Ben

Posted 19 September 2014 - 11:04 AM

View PostMalaclypse, on 19 September 2014 - 07:55 AM, said:

LOL, I always wondered when listening to that song, with a smile, how stoned do you have to be to ask this question?

Apparently the singer gets really pissy about people asking what it means.

Which makes him a twat in my book. Don't make weird lyrics if it's going to bother you.
Captain of Team Quick Ben. Also teaboy.

#40 User is offline   IskarJar93 

• Recruit

Posted 10 December 2014 - 03:46 PM

From what I read in this thread, it seems NoK is worth reading...mumble... will consider that (I had always shunned it before for some reason)

Share this topic:

• 6 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users