• 6 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

ICE's next book: "Dancer's Lament"

#81 User is offline   Andorion 

• God
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Interests:All things Malazan, sundry sci-fi and fantasy, history, Iron Maiden

Posted 27 November 2015 - 04:49 AM

Like I said in the other thread, Either Hobbit skulls, or Toblakai on throne

#82 User is offline   sssimon 

• Recruit

Posted 03 December 2015 - 07:52 AM

How does the info from this blurb (young assassin chasing a mage) connect to what we know aby Smiley's? I thought everything started at Smiley's...

#83 User is offline   Puck 

• Mausetöter

Posted 04 December 2015 - 06:24 PM

Is it just me or are the ICE covers getting more and more cringe-worthy with each book? I'd be ashamed to have this on my book shelf, never mind getting caught reading it in public...
Puck was not birthed, she was cleaved from a lava flow and shaped by a fierce god's hands. - [worry]
Ninja Puck, Ninja Puck, really doesn't give a fuck..? - [King Lear]

#84 User is online   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 04 December 2015 - 11:32 PM

They accidentally used the cover meant for Dungeon Bro.
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#85 User is offline   Egwene 

• Emperor

Posted 07 December 2015 - 07:03 PM

I am really looking forward to DL :unsure: Probably more so than FoL. I found FoD quite dark (appropriately one could say) and hope that DL will be more fun. Can't wait to find out more about Dancer and Kellanved's origins ;)

As for waiting for reviews here... well, I prefer to make up my own mind when it comes to ICE. There seems to be far too much of a prejudice on this forum where ICE books are concerned. I mean, why pick on the name Dorin, for example? I don't get the negativity before people have even read the book. Seems to me that in life it is often the case that what you see depends on your expectations and if the glasses you wear have a negative filter then you aren't going to see beauty.

#86 User is offline   Salt-Man Z 

• My pen halts, though I do not
  • View gallery

Posted 07 December 2015 - 10:04 PM

I actually kinda like this one. Cool how's he all covered in fakey Photoshop cobwebs.
"Here is light. You will say that it is not a living entity, but you miss the point that it is more, not less. Without occupying space, it fills the universe. It nourishes everything, yet itself feeds upon destruction. We claim to control it, but does it not perhaps cultivate us as a source of food? May it not be that all wood grows so that it can be set ablaze, and that men and women are born to kindle fires?"
―Gene Wolfe, The Citadel of the Autarch

#87 User is offline   Itwćs Nom 

• Inquisitor of High House Mafia
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 07 December 2015 - 11:06 PM

My impressions so far are following:

Don't like setup of the cover, artist could have played with colours more too

I like how some individual parts and details look (for instance cobwebs, texture of the thing on the wall etc)

I like Dorin.

This post has been edited by Charlie Nom: 07 December 2015 - 11:06 PM

All things fall from kings to rose petals

#88 User is offline   Lycaenion 

• Captain

Posted 08 December 2015 - 06:45 AM

I mean, why pick on the name Dorin, for example?
I dunno. Maybe because it sounds to much like Orin, and as if it should be accompanied by a Balin, Gloin and Bifur and a Bombur? It sounds too Middle-Earthy to me, and this coming from someone who loves LotR and Middle-Earth. Malazan was never in the same vein and this just sounds like the name of a Hobbit or a Dwarf. It sticks out. But that's just my view on the name. And the reason I wish ICE left Dancer/Kellanved alone? I seriously don't think he's that great a writer. Not just in comparison to Erikson, but in comparison to a host of other writers I love. He's just...adequate. And for a world like Malazan, adequate won't cut it. I've never truly felt engrossed in his books while I read them - more annoyed by stupid characters like Kiska, or by making the Seguleh (who up till then were awesome) freaking lame follower-types. So yeah...I'd love to learn more about the Malazan Empire/Dancer/Kellanved's origins, I just wish ICE wouldn't be the one to write it.

This post has been edited by Lycaenion: 08 December 2015 - 06:46 AM

Be Your Own Hero

#89 User is online   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 08 December 2015 - 07:52 AM

Who asked?
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#90 User is offline   theocean 

• High Fist

Posted 08 December 2015 - 07:11 PM

the covers not so bad. I like when they give us a little view of what different characters look like.

#91 User is offline   theocean 

• High Fist

Posted 08 December 2015 - 07:14 PM

View PostLycaenion, on 08 December 2015 - 06:45 AM, said:

I mean, why pick on the name Dorin, for example?
I dunno. Maybe because it sounds to much like Orin, and as if it should be accompanied by a Balin, Gloin and Bifur and a Bombur? It sounds too Middle-Earthy to me, and this coming from someone who loves LotR and Middle-Earth. Malazan was never in the same vein and this just sounds like the name of a Hobbit or a Dwarf. It sticks out. But that's just my view on the name. And the reason I wish ICE left Dancer/Kellanved alone? I seriously don't think he's that great a writer. Not just in comparison to Erikson, but in comparison to a host of other writers I love. He's just...adequate. And for a world like Malazan, adequate won't cut it. I've never truly felt engrossed in his books while I read them - more annoyed by stupid characters like Kiska, or by making the Seguleh (who up till then were awesome) freaking lame follower-types. So yeah...I'd love to learn more about the Malazan Empire/Dancer/Kellanved's origins, I just wish ICE wouldn't be the one to write it.

I agree with most of the ICE books. Assail had all this hype of being a badass place only badasses go to when they are feeling extra badass, and then mediocrity followed. I actually liked the seguleh storyline though. I thought it made sense and played out nicely. Jan is a monster.

#92 User is offline   Hetan 

• Chief Cook and Bottle Washer
  • View gallery
  • Group: Mezla's Thought Police

Posted 28 December 2015 - 06:00 PM

I'm looking forward to this coming out - I've said previously that I think ICE did a great job with Night of Knives and I'd love to read the Shadowthrone/Dancer backstory.
It will be published before Fall of Light, so that's two Malaz books next year. woot!

Edit to add : Mods- could we have a thread in the Forthcoming novels section please for this trilogy of Ice's as it is due out in February?

This post has been edited by Hetan: 28 December 2015 - 06:02 PM

"He was not a modest man. Contemplating suicide, he summoned a dragon". (Gothos' Folly)- Gothos

#93 User is offline   End of Disc One 

• House Knight

Posted 31 December 2015 - 06:20 PM

Amazon is now saying May 31 for both US and UK

http://www.amazon.co...ncer%27s+lament

And yeah why no subforum?

#94 User is offline   Jussi 

• Sergeant

Posted 05 January 2016 - 10:56 AM

Still February 25th for UK edition:

http://www.amazon.co.../dp/0593074343/

#95 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 05 January 2016 - 04:48 PM

View PostHetan, on 28 December 2015 - 06:00 PM, said:

... Mods- could we have a thread in the Forthcoming novels section please for this trilogy of Ice's as it is due out in February?

View PostEnd of Disc One, on 31 December 2015 - 06:20 PM, said:

And yeah why no subforum?

Ask and ye shall receive... shortly.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#96 User is offline   Messremb 

• Honorary Symp of High House Mafia
  • Group: High House Mafia
  • High Artificer of Team Quick Ben

Posted 03 March 2016 - 11:37 AM

View PostJussi, on 05 January 2016 - 10:56 AM, said:

Still February 25th for UK edition:

http://www.amazon.co.../dp/0593074343/

WHaaaaaaaat?

I've had this on pre-order for months. Amazon has it as available now but my pre-order says it is released in May?

Time to cause a fuss...

Edit: The Tor version is out in May. Somehow they let me order that. Bantam version will arrive tomorrow.

I think this is the first time I've ever not had a book as soon as it was out

This post has been edited by Messremb: 03 March 2016 - 11:41 AM

"see that stranger's arm crushing the life from him - do you understand? Not an eternal prison for Messremb"

#97 User is offline   Lycaenion 

• Captain

Posted 06 March 2016 - 08:46 AM

Try the bookdespository or wordery next time. I've had Dancer's Lament at home for a couple of days now. Won't be reading it until I've read Fall of Light though.
Be Your Own Hero

#98 User is offline   DragonMaster 

• Recruit

Posted 16 April 2016 - 12:17 PM

I've read a portion of it. ICE has butchered so much of the Malazan Empire that I suppose turning Dancer and Dassem into clownish fools is to be expected. He turned the Rope into the String, a naive clown of a character who kills a person one minute for nothing without a second thought and then worries about slightly wronging another person - simply because it would be wrong - the next. Very consistent. Plus he releases the book in the UK a month before the US. I wonder how many other people simply downloaded the book for free and downloaded some non-Kindle reader to read it on. Too bad it turned out to be more literary vomit. What's next, a book featuring the K'Chain Che'Malle as G-rated medieval farmers and pompous city dwellers with a Barney The Dinosaur meets Robin Hood type theme?

#99 User is offline   Puck 

• Mausetöter

Posted 16 April 2016 - 12:32 PM

While I can't disagree with the sentiment, that bile is utterly uncalled for. ICE had no decision in where the book is released earlier or later. As to your other point, again, utterly uncalled for. If you don't like ICEs stuff, you're perfectly entitled to that, but there are other ways to make than known. Hell, I can't stand his writing either, but that's why I neither bought nor pirated (which you have just admitted to doing) this book. I just ignore it and get on with things. What you need a reminder of, it seems, is that ICE co-created the Malazan verse, so without him there wouldn't be any of the Malazan books.
Puck was not birthed, she was cleaved from a lava flow and shaped by a fierce god's hands. - [worry]
Ninja Puck, Ninja Puck, really doesn't give a fuck..? - [King Lear]

#100 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 16 April 2016 - 02:00 PM

View PostDragonMaster, on 16 April 2016 - 12:17 PM, said:

I've read a portion of it. ICE has butchered so much of the Malazan Empire that I suppose turning Dancer and Dassem into clownish fools is to be expected. He turned the Rope into the String, a naive clown of a character who kills a person one minute for nothing without a second thought and then worries about slightly wronging another person - simply because it would be wrong - the next. Very consistent.

The fact that Dancer's behavior is inconsistent is in fact consistent with the character we are presented with. Dancer is a teenager. He can be irratic, sometimes childish, other times cold and ruthless. The hallmark of a person with the best training in the world but all the insecurity and hormones of a teenager.

It's why Dancer is at one moment intent on killing the crime lords and the next wants to work with them. Why is pushes people away even though he needs companionship. Superbly confident and ridiculously insecure at the same time. Like a teenage boy.

As a 30 something I recognize a lot of my own feelings and behavior in this book. It's also why I think Dancer's Lament is more of a Young Adult book than the typical military fantasy we are used to.

View PostDragonMaster, on 16 April 2016 - 12:17 PM, said:

Plus he releases the book in the UK a month before the US. I wonder how many other people simply downloaded the book for free and downloaded some non-Kindle reader to read it on. Too bad it turned out to be more literary vomit. What's next, a book featuring the K'Chain Che'Malle as G-rated medieval farmers and pompous city dwellers with a Barney The Dinosaur meets Robin Hood type theme?

Are you so naive that you think authors have any control what so ever over how international release dates are set? Impatience is not an excuse for piracy. It's just the lies people to tell to feel better about their own greed.

Share this topic:

• 6 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users