• 24 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »

Game of Thrones Season 5 BOOK SPOILERS THROUGH ADWD Rate Topic: -----

#341 User is offline   blackzoid 

• Mortal Sword
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 09 June 2015 - 02:49 PM

Everyone is really scrutinzing closely who Jorah touches now. Its a bit overboard how seemingly contagious the producers have made grey-scale. I assume that Dany is immune anyway through magical Targ means.

This post has been edited by blackzoid: 09 June 2015 - 02:50 PM

#342 User is offline   acesn8s 

• Soletaken
  • Interests:Reading, video games, role playing games, Fountain Pens, journals...

Posted 09 June 2015 - 03:35 PM

So far "royal" blood = success. It will be interesting to see what happens now that they are using Stannis' child. If he is not actually "true king" material...
“The others followed, and found themselves in a small, stuffy basement, which would have been damp, smelly, close, and dark, were it not, in fact, well-lit, which prevented it from being dark.”
― Steven Brust, The Phoenix Guards

#343 User is offline   champ 

• Omnipotent Overseer of the Universe
  • Group: Team Quick Ben

Posted 09 June 2015 - 03:43 PM

View PostTraveller, on 09 June 2015 - 02:44 PM, said:

So did anyone else think about the greyscale when Dany took Jorahs hand? I thought it was transferred by touch; is greyscale linked to dragons in anyway, making Targs immune?

View Postblackzoid, on 09 June 2015 - 02:49 PM, said:

Everyone is really scrutinzing closely who Jorah touches now. Its a bit overboard how seemingly contagious the producers have made grey-scale. I assume that Dany is immune anyway through magical Targ means.

But Shireen kissed Davos so surely it cannot be by touch?!

Tehol said:

'Yet my heart breaks for a naked hen.'

#344 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 09 June 2015 - 03:46 PM

And yet again, the show does things better than the books. That confrontation at the games was wild. Sure people can complain about the CGI or the predictability of Drogon showing up, but the way it was done, from the pause when Dany looks at Jorah, to him throwing the spear and the shitstorm that follows... that was some fine tv and and wholly acceptable follow up to last week's zombpocalypse.

As for Stannis... they had been setting him up as a fairly viable 'good guy' for the series for a while now, so i was wondering when the boot would drop. Wow... it didn't just drop, it fucking imploded. Shireen... That was wrenching.
Esp after all the work the show did to make us care for her in the first place. Davos is going to utterly lose his shit.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#345 User is offline   TheRetiredBridgeburner 

• House Knight

Posted 09 June 2015 - 04:07 PM

View PostAbyss, on 09 June 2015 - 03:46 PM, said:

And yet again, the show does things better than the books. That confrontation at the games was wild. Sure people can complain about the CGI or the predictability of Drogon showing up, but the way it was done, from the pause when Dany looks at Jorah, to him throwing the spear and the shitstorm that follows... that was some fine tv and and wholly acceptable follow up to last week's zombpocalypse.

As for Stannis... they had been setting him up as a fairly viable 'good guy' for the series for a while now, so i was wondering when the boot would drop. Wow... it didn't just drop, it fucking imploded. Shireen... That was wrenching.
Esp after all the work the show did to make us care for her in the first place. Davos is going to utterly lose his shit.

On that note, I'm seriously impressed with Kerry Ingram (Shireen). She's only 16 and she's done a terrific job of making us care about a character who is pretty much just in the background in the books. Her talk with Davos before he left was just soul destroying knowing what was to come.

This post has been edited by TheRetiredBridgeburner: 09 June 2015 - 04:08 PM

- Wyrd bið ful aræd -

#346 User is offline   Cause 

• Elder God

Posted 09 June 2015 - 04:44 PM

Something Im curious about in regards to Shireen. Her burning in the books is questionable. She is all the way back at the wall. Also Gilly repeatedly says they should kill the child for having grey scale. She implies it can be dormant in children but can flare up. With a possible Grey scale plague in southern Westeros I was wondering if she would cause a falere up in the north. At first I thought that Gilly was speaking some wildling wisdom but now maybe its just a red herring.

#347 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 09 June 2015 - 05:41 PM

View PostCause, on 09 June 2015 - 04:44 PM, said:

Something Im curious about in regards to Shireen. Her burning in the books is questionable. She is all the way back at the wall. Also Gilly repeatedly says they should kill the child for having grey scale. She implies it can be dormant in children but can flare up. With a possible Grey scale plague in southern Westeros I was wondering if she would cause a falere up in the north. At first I thought that Gilly was speaking some wildling wisdom but now maybe its just a red herring.

At a guess, the books have her burned by Melisandre WITHOUT Stannis permission (for the same reasons that she is burned on the show, royal blood). She could spin it to him as she's spin every other "needed burning" or action to him. He trusts her enough that he'd come around. Coupled with the fact that the notes on Shireen came down from GRRM himself, it sounds like he was going to have it happen anyways, it just sounds like it would have happened slightly differently on the show.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#348 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 09 June 2015 - 05:46 PM

Sure people can complain about the CGI or the predictability of Drogon showing up

The Mrs. got glossy eyed at Drogon coming in to save the day. It was hella cool for me. Who cares if it's predictable.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#349 User is offline   Gorefest 

• Witness

Posted 09 June 2015 - 05:48 PM

Probably to resurrect Jon.

This post has been edited by Gorefest: 09 June 2015 - 05:49 PM

Yesterday, upon the stair, I saw a man who wasn't there. He wasn't there again today. Oh, how I wish he'd go away.

#350 User is offline   Werthead 

• Ascendant

Posted 09 June 2015 - 06:16 PM

Shireen was cured of the infectious stage of the disease by the various maesters and people Stannis called in. So she's no longer infectious or contagious, but she still has the skin disfigurement for life. That's different to the Stone Men and Connington/Jorah, who remain in the infectious stage and will die from it.
Visit The Wertzone for reviews of SF&F books, DVDs and computer games!

"Try standing out in a winter storm all night and see how tough you are. Start with that. Then go into a bar and pick a fight and see how tough you are. And then go home and break crockery over your head. Start with those three and you'll be good to go."
- Bruce Campbell on how to be as cool as he is

#351 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 09 June 2015 - 06:56 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 09 June 2015 - 05:46 PM, said:

Sure people can complain about the CGI or the predictability of Drogon showing up

The Mrs. got glossy eyed at Drogon coming in to save the day. It was hella cool for me. Who cares if it's predictable.

Hey i knew it was coming and wept like a little girl damn cat hair allergies.

View PostGorefest, on 09 June 2015 - 05:48 PM, said:

Jon's not dead.

View PostWerthead, on 09 June 2015 - 06:16 PM, said:

....different to the Stone Men and Connington/Jorah, who remain in the infectious stage and will die from it.

..which raises a fascinating question about Mormont taking Dany's hand and Dany taking Missei's in the last scene.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#352 User is offline   polishgenius 

• Heart of Courage
  • Group: LHTEC

Posted 09 June 2015 - 07:10 PM

I started late on this season but I've caught up. As ever, some good choices - thank fuck they upped the pace- and some bad- what the fuck was the point of Jaime in Dorne?- but enjoyable overall and with some great scenes.

The last episode, I wasn't too sold on the Meereen ending. No-one's actions felt real, somehow. The books, and the show has mostly carried this through even in changed stories, have done a great job of feeling like things actually happen randomly/realistically and not because the plot demands (it's partly why it's so good at shocking people), but that scene was the first time where it really seemed where everyone ended up where they ended up - posing shoulder-to-shoulder in the middle of the arena as their guards were killed for Drogo to pull a cavalry save- purely because the script said so.

Sheereen, however; that hurt.

View PostAbyss, on 09 June 2015 - 06:56 PM, said:

View PostGorefest, on 09 June 2015 - 05:48 PM, said:

Jon's not dead.

His body is. I'd not thought about the possibility before, but it's plausible that event though he's warged out, there'll need to be some magic to help him back/get his body to livable condition. Still seems unlikely, but I wouldn't write it off.

I wonder how they're gonna handle the warging considering I don't think they've even mentioned the concept this season. I suspect Ghost's save of Gilly and Sam may have been in there purely to remind us that he exists as an active concern for the purpose, but even still; there should have been more reminders tbh, it's going to feel a bit out of nowhere for non-readers (perhaps the last time this will be the case).
I can't carry it for you, but I can carry you.

#353 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 09 June 2015 - 07:39 PM

View Postpolishgenius, on 09 June 2015 - 07:10 PM, said:

I started late on this season but I've caught up. As ever, some good choices - thank fuck they upped the pace- and some bad- what the fuck was the point of Jaime in Dorne?

Re: Jaime in Dorne, since it's a replacement of Jaime in the Riverlands, we can lay that holding pattern at GRRM's feet...who seemingly had nothing for Jaime to do till game time? Dorne makes more sense to me than the Riverlands.

View Postpolishgenius, on 09 June 2015 - 07:10 PM, said:

His body is. I'd not thought about the possibility before, but it's plausible that event though he's warged out, there'll need to be some magic to help him back/get his body to livable condition. Still seems unlikely, but I wouldn't write it off.

Re: Jon. Eh...his body isn't necessarily dead. Humans can survive multiple stab wounds. They normally won't, but it's not out of the realm of possibility for a guy to survive the Caesaring. Especially in somewhere as cold as the Wall where the blood runs turgidly.

This post has been edited by QuickTidal: 09 June 2015 - 07:40 PM

#354 User is offline   polishgenius 

• Heart of Courage
  • Group: LHTEC

Posted 09 June 2015 - 07:49 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 09 June 2015 - 07:39 PM, said:

Re: Jon. Eh...his body isn't necessarily dead. Humans can survive multiple stab wounds. They normally won't, but it's not out of the realm of possibility for a guy to survive the Caesaring. Especially in somewhere as cold as the Wall where the blood runs turgidly.

In theory he could be only mostly dead but narratively it wouldn't make sense to me. GRRM made way too much effort to set up the idea of surviving death by warging for there being any point to Jon just being nearly dead.
I can't carry it for you, but I can carry you.

#355 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 09 June 2015 - 08:18 PM

View Postpolishgenius, on 09 June 2015 - 07:49 PM, said:

In theory he could be only mostly dead but narratively it wouldn't make sense to me. GRRM made way too much effort to set up the idea of surviving death by warging for there being any point to Jon just being nearly dead.

Probably true. But for now, Jon must exist in a Schrodinger's cat type of way. He is both alive and dead currently.

#356 User is offline   Primateus 

• E Pluribus Anus
  • Interests:Stuff, lots of stuff!

Posted 09 June 2015 - 09:10 PM

View Postchamp, on 09 June 2015 - 03:43 PM, said:

View PostTraveller, on 09 June 2015 - 02:44 PM, said:

So did anyone else think about the greyscale when Dany took Jorahs hand? I thought it was transferred by touch; is greyscale linked to dragons in anyway, making Targs immune?

View Postblackzoid, on 09 June 2015 - 02:49 PM, said:

I asked the same question a few pages back when it was first revealed that Jorah had been infected with greyscale and touched Tyrion a few times. I reckon that you actually have to touch the sickened parts before any contagion is transferred. Which makes sense, I suppose, because it demonstrates how dangerous the stonemen are, because they're covered with the devilry.
Screw you all, and have a nice day!

#357 User is offline   TheRetiredBridgeburner 

• House Knight

Posted 09 June 2015 - 09:15 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 09 June 2015 - 08:18 PM, said:

View Postpolishgenius, on 09 June 2015 - 07:49 PM, said:

Probably true. But for now, Jon must exist in a Schrodinger's cat type of way. He is both alive and dead currently.

Schrodinger's Bastard.
- Wyrd bið ful aræd -

#358 User is offline   Cause 

• Elder God

Posted 09 June 2015 - 09:28 PM

There is also talk of vapours that spread the disease. Whether this is simply a take on the once prevalent belief that vapours and smells were the cause of disease or something we should take serious is not know. Still there is also some indication that grey scale is perhaps a not entirely natural disease. Which again could just be the fears of a superstitious world or in a world of magic a legitimate possibility.

Also we know of at least one Targayren who died of Grey Scale, so no magical protection for Daenerys

#359 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 09 June 2015 - 09:30 PM

@pg: I agree it's gonna be late in the game, but Varamyr IS cast and he only has one more episode to show up, so ep 10 will have to be it for reintroducing warging. I'm starting to think Melisandre will return to the wall INSTEAD of "Ramsay's" letter, in the aftermath of the Battle of Winterfell.

This post has been edited by worry: 09 June 2015 - 09:30 PM

They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#360 User is offline   Terez 

• High Analyst of TQB
  • Interests:WWQBD?
  • WoT Fangirl, Rank Traitor

Posted 09 June 2015 - 09:43 PM

View PostCause, on 09 June 2015 - 09:28 PM, said:

Also we know of at least one Targayren who died of Grey Scale, so no magical protection for Daenerys

Immunity might go along with the dragonlord gene.

The President (2012) said:

Please proceed, Governor.

Chris Christie (2016) said:

There it is.

Elizabeth Warren (2020) said:

And no, I’m not talking about Donald Trump. I’m talking about Mayor Bloomberg.

Share this topic:

• 24 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »

Fast Reply

4 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 4 guests, 0 anonymous users