• « First
  • Last »

Game of Thrones Season 5 BOOK SPOILERS THROUGH ADWD Rate Topic: -----

#361 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 09 June 2015 - 10:33 PM

I suspect that greyscale works much like leprosy. There is a virus and a weakened immune system heightens the risk of getting it.

Might be some open wound conductivity too.
I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

#362 User is offline   Gorefest 

• Witness

Posted 10 June 2015 - 10:11 AM

View PostQuickTidal, on 09 June 2015 - 08:18 PM, said:

Probably true. But for now, Jon must exist in a Schrodinger's cat type of way. He is both alive and dead currently.

My money is on Jon warging into Ghost at the stabbing incident and then Melissandre resurrecting him through the killing of Shireen, while Stannis is away. She may be triggered to do this through reading the pink letter, which states that Stannis is dead, so her only hope left of having Azor Ahai reborn is Jon.
Yesterday, upon the stair, I saw a man who wasn't there. He wasn't there again today. Oh, how I wish he'd go away.

#363 User is offline   Gorefest 

• Witness

Posted 10 June 2015 - 10:14 AM

View PostPrimateus, on 09 June 2015 - 09:10 PM, said:

I asked the same question a few pages back when it was first revealed that Jorah had been infected with greyscale and touched Tyrion a few times. I reckon that you actually have to touch the sickened parts before any contagion is transferred. Which makes sense, I suppose, because it demonstrates how dangerous the stonemen are, because they're covered with the devilry.

Don't think Jorah touched Tyrion once he was infected. Him fishing Tyrion out of the water was before the infection actually took hold, plus lots of water may dilute it unto non-infectiousness anyway. Shireen is not spreading it because a whole bunch of maesters eventually managed to stop the spread and infectiousness of her disease.
Yesterday, upon the stair, I saw a man who wasn't there. He wasn't there again today. Oh, how I wish he'd go away.

#364 User is offline   Kartoolian Spider Squisher 

• Recruit

Posted 10 June 2015 - 10:32 AM

Jorah did indeed touch Tyrion. I remember I pointed it out at the time on a forum.

This post has been edited by Kartoolian Spider Squisher: 10 June 2015 - 10:33 AM

There is a line before me that demarcates where you stop being treated as citizens and start being treated as soldiers. It is a line only I can see and I swear until all of you--once you cross it you have declared War. Against your city, against your government, and against Me. And make no mistake: I Love to fight Wars.

Ares, God of War

#365 User is offline   Terez 

• High Analyst of TQB
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:WWQBD?
  • WoT Fangirl, Rank Traitor

Posted 10 June 2015 - 10:50 AM

Skin or clothes? I feel like they focused on Dany taking Jorah's hand and then Melisandre Missandei's for a reason. Two hand-touching scenes within a minute of each other, and they dwelled on both of them.

I suspect that Melisandre Missandei will be the first to show symptoms; I doubt Dany will get it, since they seem to be replacing the pale mare with greyscale, and Dany was immune to the plague.

This post has been edited by Terez: 10 June 2015 - 10:53 AM

The President (2012) said:

Please proceed, Governor.

Chris Christie (2016) said:

There it is.

Elizabeth Warren (2020) said:

And no, I’m not talking about Donald Trump. I’m talking about Mayor Bloomberg.

#366 User is offline   Gorefest 

• Witness

Posted 10 June 2015 - 10:50 AM

Did he touch clothes or skin?

Also, it could of course be that Tyrion is a secret Targaryen and he's immune...

#367 User is offline   Gorefest 

• Witness

Posted 10 June 2015 - 10:52 AM

View PostTerez, on 10 June 2015 - 10:50 AM, said:

Skin or clothes? I feel like they focused on Dany taking Jorah's hand and then Melisandre's for a reason.

Missandei I assume? Or did I miss something vital?

#368 User is offline   Terez 

• High Analyst of TQB

Posted 10 June 2015 - 10:53 AM

Nope, I just typed the wrong name because I had Melisandre on the brain.

There it is.

#369 User is offline   Primateus 

• E Pluribus Anus
  • Interests:Stuff, lots of stuff!

Posted 10 June 2015 - 10:55 AM

View PostTerez, on 10 June 2015 - 10:50 AM, said:

Skin or clothes? I feel like they focused on Dany taking Jorah's hand and then Melisandre Missandei's for a reason. Two hand-touching scenes within a minute of each other, and they dwelled on both of them.

I suspect that Melisandre Missandei will be the first to show symptoms; I doubt Dany will get it, since they seem to be replacing the pale mare with greyscale, and Dany was immune to the plague.

I'm pretty certain that he touched skin when they were hiding from the slavers.
Screw you all, and have a nice day!

#370 User is offline   Gorefest 

• Witness

Posted 10 June 2015 - 11:43 AM

In any case it is some horrible writing from the show's scriptwriters. Jorah knows fully well how infectious greyscale is, judging by his explicit warning to Tyrion not to let the stone men touch him. He clearly recognises the disease for what it is and knows he is infected. So why on earth does he subsequently offer his (ungloved) hand to the woman he loves? Sure, Targaryens or dragonblooded might turn out to be protected, but surely Jorah cannot know this? Unless he deliberately wants Dany to get greyscale as some sort of rejection revenge? Makes no sense.

This post has been edited by Gorefest: 10 June 2015 - 11:44 AM

#371 User is offline   TheRetiredBridgeburner 

• House Knight

Posted 10 June 2015 - 12:10 PM

View PostGorefest, on 10 June 2015 - 11:43 AM, said:

In any case it is some horrible writing from the show's scriptwriters.

To be honest, I suspect that's the explanation.
- Wyrd bið ful aræd -

#372 User is offline   Terez 

• High Analyst of TQB

Posted 10 June 2015 - 12:11 PM

The only other explanation is that 1) Jorah has reason to believe that he won't pass it to anyone unless they touch the infected spot, or 2) he has a revenge mission, which would be weird.

There it is.

#373 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 10 June 2015 - 01:49 PM

View PostTheRetiredBridgeburner, on 10 June 2015 - 12:10 PM, said:

View PostGorefest, on 10 June 2015 - 11:43 AM, said:

In any case it is some horrible writing from the show's scriptwriters.

To be honest, I suspect that's the explanation.

View PostTerez, on 10 June 2015 - 12:11 PM, said:

The only other explanation is that 1) Jorah has reason to believe that he won't pass it to anyone unless they touch the infected spot, or 2) he has a revenge mission, which would be weird.

3) In the midst of all the fighting and stabbing, he forgot.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#374 User is offline   Gorefest 

• Witness

Posted 10 June 2015 - 02:30 PM

He forgot that he had a potentially lethal and highly infectious disease that would likely kill the woman he loves? Well, stranger things have happened i suppose. Very careless nevertheless. Jorah never struck me as careless.

#375 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 10 June 2015 - 02:49 PM

View PostGorefest, on 10 June 2015 - 02:30 PM, said:

He forgot that he had a potentially lethal and highly infectious disease that would likely kill the woman he loves? Well, stranger things have happened i suppose. Very careless nevertheless. Jorah never struck me as careless.

Hmm, I'm of a mind to see Abyss's point here. Jorah has made a few careless decisions in the last little while, all of which SHOULD have ended up with him dead. Even coming back to Dany was technically a death sentence. So "careless" is Jorah's new default setting apparently...so I can totally see the battle and threats to his love blinding him about the grayscale momentarily..long enough to make the mistake.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#376 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 10 June 2015 - 03:33 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 10 June 2015 - 02:49 PM, said:

View PostGorefest, on 10 June 2015 - 02:30 PM, said:

Hmm, I'm of a mind to see Abyss's point here. Jorah has made a few careless decisions in the last little while, all of which SHOULD have ended up with him dead. Even coming back to Dany was technically a death sentence. So "careless" is Jorah's new default setting apparently...so I can totally see the battle and threats to his love blinding him about the grayscale momentarily..long enough to make the mistake.

Exactly - after being rejected by her AGAIN, Jorah is slashed to fuck fighting three sequential duels to the death, stops an assassination attempt with an olympic level spear chuck, climbs the platform, stabbyfestes his way to Dany and saves her AGAIN... is it seriously so hard to believe that he held out his hand to her? Jorah's got a history of misguided and poorly thought out actions when it comes to Dany... i don't see anything off with this.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#377 User is offline   TheRetiredBridgeburner 

• House Knight

Posted 10 June 2015 - 06:04 PM

View PostBriar King, on 10 June 2015 - 05:24 PM, said:

Ok I hadn't even thought of it till the last few pgs cause I was fairly confident book wise it was only contact with the scale so he could hold hands all day long till it spreads that far. Then again this is the Alt Uni show so he could be fucking everyone over. Shireen got it from a toy in show. How did she get it in bk? If she got it from toy then my book theory is busted.

Not sure if we're told - any superfans with elite quote fu about?
- Wyrd bið ful aræd -

#378 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 10 June 2015 - 06:22 PM

Ok I hadn't even thought of it till the last few pgs cause I was fairly confident book wise it was only contact with the scale so he could hold hands all day long till it spreads that far. Then again this is the Alt Uni show so he could be fucking everyone over. Shireen got it from a toy in show. How did she get it in bk? If she got it from toy then my book theory is busted.

How is everyone sure she got it from a toy? That's what Stannis said and given his often shaky understanding of things, I'm not that willing to credit it all that strongly.

The hazily understood vectors appear to be water related, rather than contact related.
I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

#379 User is offline   TheRetiredBridgeburner 

• House Knight

Posted 10 June 2015 - 07:24 PM

Is there a chance it isn't contagious to touch early on? We know being touched by the Stone Men does it, but they're seriously advanced and well on their way to being dead. Could that be a factor?
- Wyrd bið ful aræd -

#380 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 10 June 2015 - 07:30 PM

View Postamphibian, on 10 June 2015 - 06:22 PM, said:

How is everyone sure she got it from a toy? That's what Stannis said and given his often shaky understanding of things, I'm not that willing to credit it all that strongly.

The hazily understood vectors appear to be water related, rather than contact related.

Is Stannis really an unreliable narrator though? I dunno if he's been painted that way. As such I'm inclined to believe him if he said it's the case.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

Share this topic:

• 24 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »

Fast Reply

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users