• Last »

Game of Thrones Season 5 BOOK SPOILERS THROUGH ADWD Rate Topic: -----

#301 User is offline   Terez 

• High Analyst of TQB
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:WWQBD?
  • WoT Fangirl, Rank Traitor

Posted 08 June 2015 - 01:03 AM

Interesting...no Cersei this episode. Not too surprising, but that gives more time for everyone else.

The President (2012) said:

Please proceed, Governor.

Chris Christie (2016) said:

There it is.

Elizabeth Warren (2020) said:

And no, I’m not talking about Donald Trump. I’m talking about Mayor Bloomberg.

#302 User is offline   Terez 

• High Analyst of TQB

Posted 08 June 2015 - 01:54 AM

I am really, really shocked that Stannis went through with it. And now I'm wondering what could possibly cause Melisandre to return to the Wall. Regrets?

There it is.

#303 User is offline   HoosierDaddy 

• Believer
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Interests:Football

Posted 08 June 2015 - 02:26 AM

That has been exceedingly telegraphed. No one should be shocked by it.

As soon as she got the gift.
Trouble arrives when the opponents to such a system institute its extreme opposite, where individualism becomes godlike and sacrosanct, and no greater service to any other ideal (including community) is possible. In such a system rapacious greed thrives behind the guise of freedom, and the worst aspects of human nature come to the fore....

#304 User is offline   LinearPhilosopher 

• House Knight
  • Interests:Everything.

Posted 08 June 2015 - 02:32 AM

that didnt turn out the way it did in the books, not that im complaining.

#305 User is offline   flea 

• High Fist

Posted 08 June 2015 - 02:49 AM

This episode out Martined Martin -- making us sympathetic to Stannis, only to make us want to seem him burn.

The fighting pit scene was so well done.

This post has been edited by flea: 08 June 2015 - 03:04 AM

#306 User is offline   LinearPhilosopher 

• House Knight
  • Interests:Everything.

Posted 08 June 2015 - 02:49 AM

A thought that occured to me. The first fighter, the big guy, was that the same actor as the guy who played the mountain in s4?

#307 User is offline   Terez 

• High Analyst of TQB

Posted 08 June 2015 - 02:53 AM

View PostBalrogLord, on 08 June 2015 - 02:32 AM, said:

that didnt turn out the way it did in the books, not that im complaining.

I just watched the interviews with Benoiff and Weiss and apparently Shireen came directly from GRRM. Not that that surprises me, really. It was much more believable for book Stannis than show Stannis.

There it is.

#308 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 08 June 2015 - 04:19 AM

I didn't expect it before this episode (would have said 60/40 against), but the moment he sent Davos away instead of Melisandre, it was clear he'd sold his soul. And giving Selyse the change of heart was a nice way to underscore it. What that ultimately means for his "reign": I'm betting it's short-lived.

Also good to see Hizdahr, for all his faults, wasn't a secret bad guy. He always seemed genuine, even if Meereen aristocracy-style conservative. Same goes for Thorne, as written on the show. I kinda hope he's not one of the conspirators...and it's clear Bowen Marsh has the hate-face (and Olly of course).

I guess the only thing I didn't like was piling on one more awful detail about Meryn. I don't care that much, but he didn't need it. Suppose it'll probably be Arya's "in" to getting up close and personal, so whatever.

This post has been edited by worry: 08 June 2015 - 04:22 AM

They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#309 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 08 June 2015 - 04:33 AM

And yah, riding Drogon did look a little bit like riding Falkor, but even "big" TV budgets are shackled by the still-huge cost of CGI. There's a reason Tangled is in the top 5 most expensive movies ever made.
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#310 User is offline   TheRetiredBridgeburner 

• House Knight

Posted 08 June 2015 - 06:41 AM

I think Shireen is actually foreshadowed in the books. I'll put this all under spoilers as I don't know who has read what on here, and it's mostly just theory anyway:

Spoiler

This post has been edited by TheRetiredBridgeburner: 08 June 2015 - 06:42 AM

- Wyrd biđ ful aræd -

#311 User is offline   Terez 

• High Analyst of TQB

Posted 08 June 2015 - 08:39 AM

Good stuff. I have only just started book 3 in my reread. I meant to do one before this season started but didn't quite manage it. I think the last time I did a reread was when I read ADWD, which was a little while after it came out, and I skipped the plotlines I didn't care about in books 4 and 5. I think I didn't have time to be a trufan of this series until WoT was done. I didn't watch the show the first season because I was so scared it would suck. In some ways, it kind of does, but they make up for it in (mostly) amazing casting and just the simple visualization of a great story.

Apparently, Kit Harington is telling people that if he is going to be filming this summer, he won't be able to tell anyone about it. I can't imagine how they will manage to keep that entirely under wraps, despite the fact that they're filming in Iceland. Huffington Post also mentions that he was one of a number of cast members who renegotiated big raises for the potential season 7.

There it is.

#312 User is offline   TheRetiredBridgeburner 

• House Knight

Posted 08 June 2015 - 09:00 AM

View PostTerez, on 08 June 2015 - 08:39 AM, said:

Good stuff. I have only just started book 3 in my reread. I meant to do one before this season started but didn't quite manage it. I think the last time I did a reread was when I read ADWD, which was a little while after it came out, and I skipped the plotlines I didn't care about in books 4 and 5. I think I didn't have time to be a trufan of this series until WoT was done. I didn't watch the show the first season because I was so scared it would suck. In some ways, it kind of does, but they make up for it in (mostly) amazing casting and just the simple visualization of a great story.

Apparently, Kit Harington is telling people that if he is going to be filming this summer, he won't be able to tell anyone about it. I can't imagine how they will manage to keep that entirely under wraps, despite the fact that they're filming in Iceland. Huffington Post also mentions that he was one of a number of cast members who renegotiated big raises for the potential season 7.

I can't imagine them being able to keep it a secret, although it would suggest they'll leave season 5 on a cliffhanger in terms of Jon doesn't it?

I badly need to do a re-read actually - I only remember that stuff because it's been a pet theory of mine for a while. I read ADWD when it came out having not done a re-read for a couple of years, and I'm now at the point where my other half (a non-book reader) and I watch the show, and sometimes when he asks if something is show-only or not I'm genuinely unsure!

Every time I think about re-reading though, I remember how turgid I found ADWD and end up reading something else!
- Wyrd biđ ful aræd -

#313 User is offline   Gorefest 

• Witness

Posted 08 June 2015 - 09:43 AM

View PostTheRetiredBridgeburner, on 08 June 2015 - 09:00 AM, said:

Every time I think about re-reading though, I remember how turgid I found ADWD and end up reading something else!

For what it's worth, I hear a lot of people saying that on a re-read both aFfC and aDwD are a lot more palpatable.
Yesterday, upon the stair, I saw a man who wasn't there. He wasn't there again today. Oh, how I wish he'd go away.

#314 User is offline   TheRetiredBridgeburner 

• House Knight

Posted 08 June 2015 - 10:02 AM

View PostGorefest, on 08 June 2015 - 09:43 AM, said:

For what it's worth, I hear a lot of people saying that on a re-read both aFfC and aDwD are a lot more palpatable.

Hmm, I'll bear it in mind. In fairness I did like AFfC more the second time around.
- Wyrd biđ ful aræd -

#315 User is offline   Terez 

• High Analyst of TQB

Posted 08 June 2015 - 10:05 AM

I read ADWD when it came out having not done a re-read for a couple of years, and I'm now at the point where my other half (a non-book reader) and I watch the show, and sometimes when he asks if something is show-only or not I'm genuinely unsure!

I just reread books 1 and 2 and I'm already forgetting whether some bits happened in the books or not. I get really confused with the whole Polliver-Raff-Meryn mashup that became Mercy in TWOW and is divided between the sequence we're getting now with Ser Meryn in Braavos and the earlier scene where she got back Needle from...Polliver? It was Polliver wasn't it? I'm reading in the books and she hasn't gotten Needle back yet, but I remember that the person who stole Needle was not the same person who killed Lommy in the books. I just don't remember which, but apparently Raff is the one who killed him because Westeros just reminded me (in their book-to-screen analysis) that Raff was the name of the guy in the Mercy scene. And she repeated the Lommy words to him just like she did in the show with...Polliver? I think it was Polliver. And I don't remember if Polliver is still alive in the books. Maybe he's the one with Needle, since Raff is the one who killed Lommy.

There it is.

#316 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 08 June 2015 - 10:41 AM

Dany had more exciting things happen in the last ten minutes of that episode than in two whole books.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#317 User is offline   Primateus 

• E Pluribus Anus
  • Interests:Stuff, lots of stuff!

Posted 08 June 2015 - 10:51 AM

View PostTerez, on 08 June 2015 - 01:54 AM, said:

I am really, really shocked that Stannis went through with it. And now I'm wondering what could possibly cause Melisandre to return to the Wall. Regrets?

He did it, he fucking did it! I was absolutely sure he wouldn't do it. But the moment that gift came out, I just knew it was going to happen. I've absolutely loved Stannis' story arch, but this just lowers him to Joffrey levels, even if he didn't want to but felt he had. No, he fucking did it when he shouldn't have.

But also brilliant television, to be sure. And the queens change of heart was also brilliantly done.

I loved the fighting pit, it was really well done even though I knew it would happen. Damn my propensity for looking up spoilers. Sure, the CGI at the escape did seem a bit...off. but still, it was bloody awesome.

So, we've had two episodes with tremendously awesome events, though I believe that the white walkers attack wins out in sheer awesomeness, not just for the attack itself, but for the way the actors managed to portray complete and utter shellshock when rowing away in the very last scene.

This season didn't really start out very well, but holy fuck it's ending on a enormously high note for me.

Edit: Not to mention Bronn, that was actually very good too. He continues to deliver!

This post has been edited by Primateus: 08 June 2015 - 10:52 AM

Screw you all, and have a nice day!

#318 User is offline   Gorefest 

• Witness

Posted 08 June 2015 - 11:46 AM

I keep saying The Wolves of Winter instead of The Winds of Winter. Damn you Erikson with your subliminal takeover!
Yesterday, upon the stair, I saw a man who wasn't there. He wasn't there again today. Oh, how I wish he'd go away.

#319 User is offline   Cause 

• Elder God

Posted 08 June 2015 - 12:49 PM

Spoiler

Did the spoiler codes change?

#320 User is offline   Ceda Cicero 

• Ceda of Team Quick Ben

Posted 08 June 2015 - 01:01 PM

Though I'm overall far, far less attached to Shireen as a character than, say, Ned, Robb, Cat... Any of the many that have died... For some reason that scene was harder to watch than any of the others so far. I'm not particularly surprised, but I am at an absolute loss as to how to feel about Stannis now.

Also, apparently the Sons of the Harpy have a VERY strict "attack them one at a time, NEVER all at once" policy.

View PostIlluyankas, on 07 April 2011 - 08:37 PM, said:

How do you rape a cave? Do you ask, "You want to fuck, yes?" hear the echo come back, "Yes... es... es..." and get your barnacle-gouged groove on?

Share this topic:

• 24 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »

Fast Reply

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users