• 7 Pages +
  • Last »

Brainzzz! Brainzzz! I know. . . ;-)

#21 User is offline   Abalieno 

• Fist
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 11 July 2014 - 05:48 AM

View Postpat5150, on 11 July 2014 - 03:42 AM, said:

But unless the pace changes dramatically, my concern is that a lot of plotlines likely won't get resolved until ICE's "epilogue" book(s).

As far as I know Assail IS the epilogue book. There was mention, years ago, that it could be done in one or two books, but then Assail took that one spot and there wasn't any mention anywhere that it was going to be only part 1 of 2.
#MrSkimpole

Feed then or perish. Life is but a search for gardens and gentle refuge, and here I sit waging the sweetest war, for I shall not die while a single tale remains to be told. Even the gods must wait spellbound.
Crack'd Pot Trail

#22 User is offline   End of Disc One 

• House Knight

Posted 11 July 2014 - 12:10 PM

ICE opinions are all over the place so I've learned to not worry about what other people say. OST is by far my favorite ICE book, followed by RotCG.

#23 User is offline   blackzoid 

• Mortal Sword

Posted 11 July 2014 - 01:04 PM

Ya, I'm pretty certain there is no "epilogue" book bar Assail.
And since I still think RoTCG is a load of absolute trash and I loved BaB, so far this sounds good to me.

And, as I've said before, of course this book will be a letdown in the end.
Its been built up so much that no book could live up to our imaginations/expectations.

#24 User is offline   Spoilsport Stonny 

• Mortal Sword

Posted 11 July 2014 - 01:20 PM

Apparently, according to SE, ICE is going to be writing some early empire/old guard novels. Not really epilogues, I suppose, but he ain't done with Malaz by damn sight. He gonna get medieval on that ass.
Theorizing that one could poop within his own lifetime, Doctor Poopet led an elite group of scientists into the desert to develop a top secret project, known as QUANTUM POOP. Pressured to prove his theories or lose funding, Doctor Poopet, prematurely stepped into the Poop Accelerator and vanished. He awoke to find himself in the past, suffering from partial amnesia and facing a mirror image that was not his own. Fortunately, contact with his own bowels was made through brainwave transmissions, with Al the Poop Observer, who appeared in the form of a hologram that only Doctor Poopet could see and hear. Trapped in the past, Doctor Poopet finds himself pooping from life to life, pooping things right, that once went wrong and hoping each time, that his next poop will be the poop home.

#25 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 11 July 2014 - 02:14 PM

View Postpat5150, on 11 July 2014 - 03:42 AM, said:

... so far it's pretty much akin to British Columbia....

So great sushi, better weed and it rains all the time. Got it.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#26 User is offline   pat5150 

• Soletaken

Posted 12 July 2014 - 02:53 PM

View PostAbyss, on 11 July 2014 - 02:14 PM, said:

So great sushi, better weed and it rains all the time. Got it.

Something like that! :(

Patrick
For book reviews, author interviews, giveaways, related articles and news, and much more, check out www.fantasyhotlist.blogspot.com

#27 User is offline   pat5150 

• Soletaken

Posted 12 July 2014 - 04:01 PM

Reached the halfway point of Assail and my confidence in ICE's ability to provide a fitting end to the Malazan cycle wanes more and more. . . :) Still more than 250 pages to go, yet what I've read thus far doesn't show a whole lot of potential, unfortunately. Everything indicates that there will be a great convergence at the end, but the myriad paths leading us there are, at least insofar as I have read, nothing to write home about.

Without spoiling anything, here are my thoughts on each storyline you are familiar with (having read the first chapter at tor.com):

- Silverfox and the T'lan Imass: By far the least exploited thus far, when most fans expected this to be the heart of the tale. This storyline is granted very little "air time" and comes in small bits and pieces. . .

- Kyle: Probably the most interesting part of Assail so far. Not that it's great by any stretch of the imagination, but stuff actually happens and his story progresses to some extent.

- The Crimson Guard: As was the case in Blood and Bone, inane Forgotten Realms-like crap so far. . . A major disappointment yet again. :(

- Various sailors on their way to the gold rush: Mostly filler material in a first half of a novel which features filler material almost exclusively. Those people expecting a doorstopper book answering heaps of Malazan questions will likely be disappointed. Though there is still one half to go. But based on the first half, I wouldn't put money on it.

- Orman: Appears to be one of the plotlines used to unveil a lot of answers regarding Assail and its past. But it recently went down the crapper, so to speak. . .

Fisher (since he's part of the cover blurb): Probably the most interesting storyline of the book, yet it remains unclear what importance it will have in the greater scheme of things.

So based on their first half, I'd say that Assail is better than Blood and Bone. The story progresses extremely slowly and nothing much occurs, but it's not drifting aimlessly. So far, it's kind of like Orb, Sceptre, Throne, which was so-so but with good bits here and there.

Reading on. . .

Patrick
For book reviews, author interviews, giveaways, related articles and news, and much more, check out www.fantasyhotlist.blogspot.com

#28 User is offline   tiam 

• Ascendant
  • Group: Mott Irregulars

Posted 13 July 2014 - 06:27 PM

View Postpat5150, on 12 July 2014 - 04:01 PM, said:

Reached the halfway point of Assail and my confidence in ICE's ability to provide a fitting end to the Malazan cycle wanes more and more. . . :) Still more than 250 pages to go, yet what I've read thus far doesn't show a whole lot of potential, unfortunately. Everything indicates that there will be a great convergence at the end, but the myriad paths leading us there are, at least insofar as I have read, nothing to write home about.

Without spoiling anything, here are my thoughts on each storyline you are familiar with (having read the first chapter at tor.com):

- Silverfox and the T'lan Imass: By far the least exploited thus far, when most fans expected this to be the heart of the tale. This storyline is granted very little "air time" and comes in small bits and pieces. . .

- Kyle: Probably the most interesting part of Assail so far. Not that it's great by any stretch of the imagination, but stuff actually happens and his story progresses to some extent.

- The Crimson Guard: As was the case in Blood and Bone, inane Forgotten Realms-like crap so far. . . A major disappointment yet again. :(

- Various sailors on their way to the gold rush: Mostly filler material in a first half of a novel which features filler material almost exclusively. Those people expecting a doorstopper book answering heaps of Malazan questions will likely be disappointed. Though there is still one half to go. But based on the first half, I wouldn't put money on it.

- Orman: Appears to be one of the plotlines used to unveil a lot of answers regarding Assail and its past. But it recently went down the crapper, so to speak. . .

Fisher (since he's part of the cover blurb): Probably the most interesting storyline of the book, yet it remains unclear what importance it will have in the greater scheme of things.

So based on their first half, I'd say that Assail is better than Blood and Bone. The story progresses extremely slowly and nothing much occurs, but it's not drifting aimlessly. So far, it's kind of like Orb, Sceptre, Throne, which was so-so but with good bits here and there.

Reading on. . .

Patrick

I have tears of rage in my eyes.

OST and especially BaB had the horrible 'im over halfway and fuck all has happened' moment. Is there even a reason why the CGRD were fleeing or how the Imass were destroyed? I am utterly disappointed before I pick it up which isnt fair really but BaB casts a long shadow.

#29 User is offline   ShadowOwl 

• High Fist

Posted 13 July 2014 - 08:26 PM

When I read ICE's novels, I find out so much more info on the world and the history of those who are not Malazan. He links so many parts of the peoples and the myths mentioned in passing in the main series, that I find his writing enhances the entire story of both authors. Example off the top of my head: Reading some things from The Crippled God, and then reading Forge of Darkness, made all the Liossan myths and references in Blood and Bone fascinating and made me look for more references of the overlap in both worlds. I can't wait to read Assail, am sure it will be a treasure trove of info. I do think everyone gets different things out of how they read and process what they read. I intend to analyze and totally enjoy this book as soon as I can get my hands on it!
"Yes, the owl was deliberate in each and every instance, and yes, it was intended to work on multiple levels." (from SE's Dec 09 Q&A)

#30 User is offline   blackzoid 

• Mortal Sword

Posted 14 July 2014 - 11:19 AM

View Postpat5150, on 12 July 2014 - 04:01 PM, said:

Reading on. . .

Patrick

Sounds awesome. Can't wait!

#31 User is offline   pat5150 

• Soletaken

Posted 14 July 2014 - 07:09 PM

Okay, less than 200 pages to go now. . . And sadly, unless the ending is an incredible mindfuck (which is always a possibility), it appears that Assail just might be another disappointment. :)

Without spoiling anything, again here are my thoughts on each storyline you are familiar with (having read the first chapter at tor.com):

- Silverfox and the T'lan Imass: Remains by far the least exploited plotline thus far. Very little "air time" regardless of the POV characters, and it continues to come in small bits and pieces. . . Regarding the Imass, insofar as I have read there hasn't been any revelation as to what happened to both the Ifayle and the Kerluhm armies and the forces that destroyed them. Whether their downfall was caused by Jhag, Jaghut, or the human leader(s) alluded to in MoI, we know sweet fuckall at this point. . .

- Kyle: Probably the most interesting part of Assail so far. Problem is, he's not a very engaging character. But through him, we learn a bit more about the Holdings and the land of Assail. Still, this far into the story and we know next to nothing about pretty much everything. Assail is supposed to be the most dangerous and hostile part of Wu. The Malazan Empire elected to stay away from it, for fuck's sake. And so far, nothing hints as to why this continent should strike fear in the hearts of the most hardened men. . .

- The Crimson Guard: As was the case in Blood and Bone, inane Forgotten Realms-like crap so far. . . Worst than for my last update. These men and women used to be so mysterious and awesome. SE painted them as something that made us fans beg for more and we couldn't wait to learn more about them. Like Sanderson with Mat in TWoT, ICE pretty much killed them. A major disappointment yet again. :(

- Various sailors on their way to the gold rush: Mostly filler material. Too many POVs which bring little or nothing to the tale. . . Although there is an old hand showing up which might turn things around.

- Orman: Continues to be the storyline used to unveil a lot of answers regarding Assail and its past. As I said, it went down the crapper and hasn't surfaced yet. . .

Fisher (since he's part of the cover blurb): Probably the most interesting storyline of the book. Still a bit vague about how much of a role it will play before the end.

This is the home stretch now and the shit should be hitting the fan soon. And yet, the rhythm of the novel continues to be slow-moving and not much is taking place. Hopefully the finale will be awesome!

Reading on. . .

Patrick

#32 User is offline   champ 

• Omnipotent Overseer of the Universe
  • Group: Team Quick Ben

Posted 14 July 2014 - 09:04 PM

View Posttiam, on 13 July 2014 - 06:27 PM, said:

I have tears of rage in my eyes.

You and me both! I was looking back through the thread...

http://forum.malazan...c/20130-assail/

And how stoked I was for this book, all the kick ass speculation and what not, I just pray Assail doesn't peter out!

View Postpat5150, on 14 July 2014 - 07:09 PM, said:

Okay, less than 200 pages to go now. . . And sadly, unless the ending is an incredible mindfuck (which is always a possibility), it appears that Assail just might be another disappointment. :(

Please let it be mindfuck... please let it be mindfuck...

Tehol said:

'Yet my heart breaks for a naked hen.'

#33 User is offline   End of Disc One 

• House Knight

Posted 14 July 2014 - 09:28 PM

I don't know, I don't remember ICE doing mindfucks in the past.

The only thing in Pat's post that kind of bothers me is the "Assail doesn't seem dangerous" thing. ICE seems to know the books better than SE does, so surely he wouldn't have just fogotten that Assail has been continually hyped up throughout the books. I mean he named the book Assail, so...hopefully there will be a reason. And I hope this isn't one of those things from their gaming days, where ICE remembers things one way and SE another.

Otherwise I'm reserving all judgement until I read the book. Again, I loved OST.

This post has been edited by End of Disc One: 14 July 2014 - 09:58 PM

#34 User is offline   Abalieno 

• Fist

Posted 15 July 2014 - 12:47 AM

View Postpat5150, on 14 July 2014 - 07:09 PM, said:

Okay, less than 200 pages to go now. . . And sadly, unless the ending is an incredible mindfuck (which is always a possibility),

And I'll say again that EVEN if the ending is a mindfuck you can't do it justice in less than 200 pages, in Malazan. :(

My suspicion since the beginning wasn't about ICE writing skills, but about *deliberately* seizing the opportunity or not. It seems he didn't. From Pat's report it doesn't even remotely sound as a last volume in a series, regardless of its quality.
#MrSkimpole

Feed then or perish. Life is but a search for gardens and gentle refuge, and here I sit waging the sweetest war, for I shall not die while a single tale remains to be told. Even the gods must wait spellbound.
Crack'd Pot Trail

#35 User is offline   Asharak 

• Lieutenant

Posted 15 July 2014 - 09:32 AM

This sounds really disheartening, especially for a book that they claim is the final Malazan book, and supposedly the real conclusion to the whole series.

TCG started a bit slow, but that was 400 pages of build up (ignoring the epic Battle of Kharkanas ) followed by 500 pages of epic climatic confrontations. That's what the finale to this type of book series should be like.

Sounds like Esslemont phoned this one inn on purpose. Very frustrating and disappointing.

This post has been edited by Asharak: 15 July 2014 - 09:32 AM

#36 User is offline   pat5150 

• Soletaken

Posted 15 July 2014 - 12:11 PM

Let's give ICE the benefit of the doubt for now. . . A great ending saved TtH, so you never know!

Patrick

#37 User is offline   pat5150 

• Soletaken

Posted 16 July 2014 - 02:01 AM

A little over 100 pages left and Christ it's gotten so much worse. . . The proverbial shit hasn't hit the fan yet, but even a mindfuck of a convergence cannot save this one, methinks. . . :(

The Malazan sequence cannot end this way. . . Please. . . :)

Patrick

#38 User is offline   champ 

• Omnipotent Overseer of the Universe
  • Group: Team Quick Ben

Posted 16 July 2014 - 09:39 AM

View Postpat5150, on 16 July 2014 - 02:01 AM, said:

A little over 100 pages left and Christ it's gotten so much worse. . . The proverbial shit hasn't hit the fan yet, but even a mindfuck of a convergence cannot save this one, methinks. . . :(

Probably why you cannot release a review before publication date...

Tehol said:

'Yet my heart breaks for a naked hen.'

#39 User is offline   Gorgon 

• Recruit

Posted 16 July 2014 - 11:02 AM

Is it really that bad? I enjoyed orb sceptre throne and most bits of blood and bone. Is it much worse than those two books?
Very well, permit me if you will, on this night. To break your hearts once more.

#40 User is offline   End of Disc One 

• House Knight

Posted 16 July 2014 - 11:31 AM

View Postchamp, on 16 July 2014 - 09:39 AM, said:

View Postpat5150, on 16 July 2014 - 02:01 AM, said:

Probably why you cannot release a review before publication date...

lol I'm surprised they still send him books

Share this topic:

• 7 Pages +
  • Last »

Fast Reply

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users