Malazan Empire: World Cup 2014! - Malazan Empire

• 24 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

World Cup 2014! Best Sporting Tournament in the World!

#161 User is offline   Binder of Demons 

• Lord of Light
  • View gallery
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • - Thread Killer -

Posted 22 June 2014 - 11:14 PM

Awesome save by Howard all right.

Bradley is killing the USA at the moment. Terrible passing, and choosing the wrong option half the time. He should be the leader of this midfield in terms of experience.

It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt - Mark Twain

Never argue with an idiot!
They'll drag you down to their level, and then beat you with experience!
- Anonymous

#162 User is offline   Binder of Demons 

• Lord of Light
  • View gallery
  • - Thread Killer -

Posted 22 June 2014 - 11:21 PM

Oh yeah, I forgot in my irritation at watching Bradley's performance, but Zusi should have been taken off ages ago too. Terrible decision making. Surely they have better options than him?

It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt - Mark Twain

- Anonymous

#163 User is offline   Binder of Demons 

• Lord of Light
  • View gallery
  • - Thread Killer -

Posted 22 June 2014 - 11:22 PM

What a strike by by Jones. Awesome stuff. Now we have a game for the last 30 mins.

- Anonymous

#164 User is offline   HoosierDaddy 

• Believer
  • Interests:Football

Posted 22 June 2014 - 11:54 PM

I'm going to puke.
Trouble arrives when the opponents to such a system institute its extreme opposite, where individualism becomes godlike and sacrosanct, and no greater service to any other ideal (including community) is possible. In such a system rapacious greed thrives behind the guise of freedom, and the worst aspects of human nature come to the fore....

#165 User is offline   Stalker 

• Soletaken
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 22 June 2014 - 11:57 PM

Yeah, that was horrible. The US did so much right to have that happen at the very end. That was a fantastic ball though, which was surprising after all of Ronaldo's other touches tonight.

#166 User is offline   Binder of Demons 

• Lord of Light
  • View gallery
  • - Thread Killer -

Posted 22 June 2014 - 11:59 PM

Fucking Bradley dawdling on the ball at the end. Just a simple lay off ball, and the game was over. Gutted for the USA team. I really hope they go through.

- Anonymous

#167 User is offline   Khellendros 

• Saboteur of High House Mafia

Posted 23 June 2014 - 12:06 AM

That is really gutting for the US. I can't see it being anything more than a consolation for Portugal either, with their goal difference it would take a minor miracle for them to qualify.

I really don't know which two of Germany, Ghana, and the US will get out of that group. I'm thinking Germany and Ghana, but it's so close.
"I think I've made a terrible error of judgement."

#168 User is offline   HoosierDaddy 

• Believer
  • Interests:Football

Posted 23 June 2014 - 12:09 AM

Ghana will beat Portugal, US will lose to Germany. Will come down to tiebreakers. I don't know what comes after goal differential. Goals scored?
Trouble arrives when the opponents to such a system institute its extreme opposite, where individualism becomes godlike and sacrosanct, and no greater service to any other ideal (including community) is possible. In such a system rapacious greed thrives behind the guise of freedom, and the worst aspects of human nature come to the fore....

#169 User is offline   Mentalist 

• Martyr of High House Mafia
  • Interests:Soccer, Chess, swimming, books, misc
  • Junior Mafia Mod

Posted 23 June 2014 - 12:26 AM

View PostHoosierDaddy, on 23 June 2014 - 12:09 AM, said:

Ghana will beat Portugal, US will lose to Germany. Will come down to tiebreakers. I don't know what comes after goal differential. Goals scored?

Well, right now US have a +2, Ghana have -1. so Ghana have to aim for a 4:0 victory to ensure they make it.

US still has decent chances, especially if Germany decides to play conservatively and settle for a draw, which still guarantees them top spot due to the way they destroyed Portugal.

As for the game, Portugal started off briskly enough, and Nani was phenomenal in the first half. After the break they decided to sit on their one goal to the end and got punished for it. Jones' ball was an excellent strike, and US made Portuguese D look stupid on the second goal.

Ronaldo was a waste of space until the 95th minute. I get that he's injured and all, but literally, he'd deek, make a pass, then stop. Not once did he actually challenge a player after losing the ball, not once did he run for the ball. He got one decent chance for a breakaway and he launched it over the side netting. He had 2 or 3 awful headers, and then on the 95th minute he delivered a briliant cross. ugh, I really hope he won't play against Ghana.
The problem with the gene pool is that there's no lifeguard
THE CONTESTtm WINNER--чемпіон самоконтролю

View PostJump Around, on 23 October 2011 - 11:04 AM, said:

And I want to state that Ment has out-weaseled me by far in this game.

#170 User is offline   Khellendros 

Posted 23 June 2014 - 12:31 AM

View PostMentalist, on 23 June 2014 - 12:26 AM, said:

View PostHoosierDaddy, on 23 June 2014 - 12:09 AM, said:

Well, right now US have a +2, Ghana have -1. so Ghana have to aim for a 4:0 victory to ensure they make it.

US still has decent chances, especially if Germany decides to play conservatively and settle for a draw, which still guarantees them top spot due to the way they destroyed Portugal.

As for the game, Portugal started off briskly enough, and Nani was phenomenal in the first half. After the break they decided to sit on their one goal to the end and got punished for it. Jones' ball was an excellent strike, and US made Portuguese D look stupid on the second goal.

Ronaldo was a waste of space until the 95th minute. I get that he's injured and all, but literally, he'd deek, make a pass, then stop. Not once did he actually challenge a player after losing the ball, not once did he run for the ball. He got one decent chance for a breakaway and he launched it over the side netting. He had 2 or 3 awful headers, and then on the 95th minute he delivered a briliant cross. ugh, I really hope he won't play against Ghana.

US have +1, not +2 (2-1 win, 2-2 draw).

I think Germany will go for the win as a reaction to how the match went against Ghana. And Low will definitely want to beat his predecessor Klinsmann.

This post has been edited by Khellendros: 23 June 2014 - 12:32 AM

#171 User is offline   Khellendros 

Posted 23 June 2014 - 12:33 AM

Also, Mark Lawrenson's line during the BBC commentary regarding Nani deserves to be immortalised:

"Promising career ruined by niggling brain injury." :rolleyes:

#172 User is offline   Brujah 

• Suicide of High House Mafia

Posted 23 June 2014 - 12:00 PM

I stopped watching after Portugal scored within what felt like 60 seconds. I get this superstitious feeling about watching when behind. I hope to see the final score later, and somehow hope we ended up winning. I don't like the stress, but this I should have stayed and washed it seems.
And when you're Gone, you stay Gone, or you be Gone. You lost all your Seven Cities privileges. - Karsa

you're such an inspiration for the ways that I will never, ever choose to be...
- Maynard James Keenan

#173 User is offline   Mentalist 

• Junior Mafia Mod

Posted 23 June 2014 - 05:43 PM

missed the early games today, was getting a haircut. they seem to be fairly academic, since it's essentially a question of which out of Netherlands and Chile gets to face Brazil.

... and just as I write this, I went to check the scores and I see that Netherlands scored on the 81st minute.

And it looks like Spain is trying to save face by beating up the Aussies. It's too bad.

The only really interesting gam eto watch today would be Croatia-Mexico. It's do or die for Croatia, while Mexico is comfortable even with a draw, and given their strong perfomance against Brazil, I expect it to be an interesting game.

Cameroon v Brazil seems to be a pretty much decided affair already, unless we get the mother of all upsets.

#174 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 23 June 2014 - 07:30 PM

Ouch! 3-0.

Well, there go any delusions we may have had. :p
"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"Well well well ... if it ain't The Invisible C**t." - Billy Butcher, The Boys

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#175 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 23 June 2014 - 07:48 PM

I don't think Spain was actively trying to beat up on Australia. They looked more like they were trying to 'gel' as a team and get their more direct version of offense working, as they start moving away from tiki taka.

The goals were more a byproduct, rather than the actual intent of the team.

That being said, Del Bosque's substitutions and line-up were really puzzling to me. Xabi Alonso probably played the worst out of any Spanish player this tourney and he still started and played the full 90. I liked Torres playing the full 90, because he provides a more direct option and I also liked Villa playing as in one game, he's reminded people that he's more dynamic than Pedro had shown in the two previous.

The young crop of Dutch midfielders/attackers looks like they'll produce a big star or two. Lens, Fer, Memphis and Blind are all excellent players.
I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

#176 User is offline   Khellendros 

Posted 23 June 2014 - 08:25 PM

View Postamphibian, on 23 June 2014 - 07:48 PM, said:

I don't think Spain was actively trying to beat up on Australia. They looked more like they were trying to 'gel' as a team and get their more direct version of offense working, as they start moving away from tiki taka.

That being said, Del Bosque's substitutions and line-up were really puzzling to me. Xabi Alonso probably played the worst out of any Spanish player this tourney and he still started and played the full 90. I liked Torres playing the full 90, because he provides a more direct option and I also liked Villa playing as in one game, he's reminded people that he's more dynamic than Pedro had shown in the two previous.

The young crop of Dutch midfielders/attackers looks like they'll produce a big star or two. Lens, Fer, Memphis and Blind are all excellent players.

Sad to see Villa so upset after - was his last game ever for Spain. But how good has he been for them.

I don't know about Lens, Memphis, and Blind - but Fer was generally terrible in the Premier League for Norwich this season (they were relegated). To be fair to him, though, the entire team was terrible.

What an atmosphere in the Mexico-Croatia game. Mexicans really making themselves heard. But come on Croatia! :p

#177 User is offline   Binder of Demons 

• Lord of Light
  • View gallery
  • - Thread Killer -

Posted 23 June 2014 - 09:22 PM

Looks like Brazil are going to coast through now at 3-1. I've my fingers crossed that someone will punch either David Luiz, Marcello or Neymar (or all 3) in the face. I find all three to be thoroughly distasteful individuals. C'mon traditional african world cup team indiscipline.

- Anonymous

#178 User is offline   Mentalist 

• Junior Mafia Mod

Posted 23 June 2014 - 10:13 PM

View PostKhellendros, on 23 June 2014 - 08:25 PM, said:

View Postamphibian, on 23 June 2014 - 07:48 PM, said:

Sad to see Villa so upset after - was his last game ever for Spain. But how good has he been for them.

I don't know about Lens, Memphis, and Blind - but Fer was generally terrible in the Premier League for Norwich this season (they were relegated). To be fair to him, though, the entire team was terrible.

What an atmosphere in the Mexico-Croatia game. Mexicans really making themselves heard. But come on Croatia! :p

This was very much the match of underdogs-both teams struggled to make it through qualifiers, and didn't have the smoothest group stage. It was do or die for Croatia, and they couldn't keep up the pressure. That balls to the wall crazy desperation that had in the last 15 when they scored? they needed to start with that, press untill goal, and then think about letting the foot off the pedal. Given the talent on their D, I'd have launched a ball down the wing every opportunity I had, and screw the counters. Get a goal, then settle in, with time working for you, keeping up the steady pressure.

As it was, Mexico had a chance to get comfortable with the game. Croatia spent too long playing the ball in the middle, while Mexico sat in their zone, waiting for attacks. Since attacks weren't coming constantly, they started playing their game--and that 1st half shot into the post (almost identical spot to the Cameroon header btw-anyone else notice that?) was a warning. Croatia didn't heed it.

Second half Croatia did not at all seem like a team with everyhting on the line. The first goal was unfortunate, but the second was a disgrace--2 defenders runnning in, having no clue who might be running in behind them! ugh.

with Brazil playing Chile and Netherlands mexico, this is gonna be an exciting start to the round of 16, that's for sure.

#179 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 23 June 2014 - 10:48 PM

When you have Modric and Rakitic in the middle, trusting in them to create organically is usually a wise decision against a team that is faster at almost every position.
I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

#180 User is offline   Jakovasaurus 

• Emperor

Posted 23 June 2014 - 10:50 PM

Did anyone notice during the Croatia v. Mexico match it looked like there were fights going on in the stands when ESPN cut to one of the cameras shooting the fans? It looked like the Croatia fans were jumping/rushing upwards in the stands to engage the Mexico fans, but the camera quickly cut back to the action on the field.

The Netherlands v. Mexico match is going to be must see!

Share this topic:

• 24 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

51 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 51 guests, 0 anonymous users