Malazan Empire: ASSAIL - Malazan Empire

• 9 Pages +
  • Last »

ASSAIL Aka ICE 5: The Culminating Convergence SPOILERS!!!!

#41 User is offline   Salt-Man Z 

• My pen halts, though I do not
  • View gallery
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 16 April 2013 - 08:55 PM

View PostAbyss, on 16 April 2013 - 08:07 PM, said:

But on the bright side, HEY! ASSAIL this year!!!!!

Maybe.

That more or less jives with the Amazon release date of Nov 7th for "City in the Jungle".

This post has been edited by Salt-Man Z: 16 April 2013 - 08:55 PM

"Here is light. You will say that it is not a living entity, but you miss the point that it is more, not less. Without occupying space, it fills the universe. It nourishes everything, yet itself feeds upon destruction. We claim to control it, but does it not perhaps cultivate us as a source of food? May it not be that all wood grows so that it can be set ablaze, and that men and women are born to kindle fires?"
―Gene Wolfe, The Citadel of the Autarch

#42 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 16 April 2013 - 11:31 PM

I'd like to hear more along those lines from ICE, sure. This might be cheesy, but I want to see Hawl and Nok together. While I thought Hawl's death was handled well in the one book she was in, IIRC there was never a point where Nok heard anything about it. Not saying there's a particular reason he should have, but it seems like something that could have added some character development to him, even if it's grief with a stiff upper lip, you know? Nok remains as much a mystery to me as Tays ever did.
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#43 User is offline   Sinisdar Toste 

• Dead Serious
  • View gallery

Posted 18 April 2013 - 12:45 AM

talking about the tyrants again, there's more to spinnocks tale about assail than just 'anomander isn't needed'.

when he reports to rake on assail in Ch.2 of TtH he tells him that he lost count of the number he (spinnock) had slain, and that the bay he escaped into was completely red. this throws huge doubt on the idea that the thing about assail is an undead thing i think. there's gotta be something else going on there, because t'lan don't bleed, and they don't die. neither do ghosts. ghosts who possess humans however, or humans who die and then re-constitute themselves ala smoky in B&B seem much more likely to me. however, the dying and re-constituting thing is pretty out there. how do you face a continent of rhulads? makes me hope i'm right.
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

- Oscar Levant

#44 User is offline   elmo 

• Recruit

Posted 18 May 2013 - 07:27 PM

The smokey situation in B&B got my ideas on jaghut turned around here. and thinking about the various references so far we may have already met the answer.

What if the population of Assail is properly human not undead or possessed but all avowed to the Tyrants.

The avowed we have met are stronger so could hack up tlan imass.

They are incredibly hard to kill and after the smokey incident looks like can revitalise themselves. If they are Linked to the holder of the vow (ie:the crimson guard to Kazz) would this not suggest being a form of conatinment if the assail were avowed to these tyrants. The crimson Guard disavowed did go AWOL but we don't know how much power Kazz had over them as it becomes obvious that he still sees them as his own people so wouldn't wish them harm. The tyrants probably couldn't give a crap about their soldiers welfare making control alot like slavery and cotillon does say they see it as a game.

The link between the lost brothers comments on ghosts and brethen would support this and also the comments on how Kazz would need to go there to get answers the vow shows there is definately something similar already in place in Assail.

Cal Brins avowed army would easily have been overpowered by much superiors numbers of troops if they were avowed aswell.

In ROTCG Skinner reckons he could sweep the field with maybe a hundred avowed. If there are avowed armies on Assail even the imass would be getting a beating.

The issue here is that if this was the case how would this wrap up the series?

Or is it going to stick to the norm and leave us a whole load of questions unanswered?

#45 User is offline   Jussi 

• Sergeant

Posted 31 May 2013 - 01:50 PM

Plot synopsis:

The final chapter in the awesome, epic story of the Malazan empire.

Tens of thousands of years of ice is melting, and the land of Assail, long a byword for menace and inaccessibility, is at last yielding its secrets. Tales of gold discovered in the region's north circulate in every waterfront dive and sailor's tavern and now countless adventurers and fortune-seekers have set sail in search of riches. All these adveturers have to guide them are legends and garbled tales of the dangers that lie in wait -- hostile coasts, fields of ice, impassable barriers and strange, terrifying creatures. But all accounts concur that the people of the north meet all trespassers with the sword. And beyond are rumoured to lurk Elder monsters out of history's very beginnings. Into this turmoil ventures the mercenary company, the Crimson Guard. Not drawn by contract, but by the promise of answers: answers to mysteries that Shimmer, second in command, wonders should even be sought. Arriving also, part of an uneasy alliance of Malazan fortune-hunters and Letherii soldiery, comes the bard Fisher kel Tath. And with him is a Tiste Andii who was found washed ashore and who cannot remember his past life, yet who commands far more power than he really should. Also venturing north is said to be a mighty champion, a man who once fought for the Malazans, the bearer of a sword that slays gods: Whiteblade.

And lastly, far to the south, a woman guards the shore awaiting both her allies and her enemies. Silverfox, newly incarnated Summoner of the undying army of the T'lan Imass, will do anything to stop the renewal of an ages-old crusade that could lay waste to the entire continent and beyond. Casting light on mysteries spanning the Malazan empire, and offering a glimpse of the storied and epic history that shaped it, Assail is the final chapter in the epic story of the Empire of Malaz.

http://www.bookloung...n=9780593064481

#46 User is offline   Tattersail_ 

• formerly Ganoes Paran
  • Group: High House Mafia
  • Interests:Mafia. Awesome Pictures. Awesome Videos. Did I mention Mafia?
    snapchat - rustyspoon84

Posted 31 May 2013 - 02:00 PM

I almost don't want it to come out because it has been built up. Yet I will be buying this.

The final chapter in the awesome, epic story of the Malazan empire.
Tens of thousands of years of ice is melting, and the land of Assail, long a byword for menace and inaccessibility, is at last yielding its secrets. Tales of gold discovered in the region's north circulate in every waterfront dive and sailor's tavern and now countless adventurers and fortune-seekers have set sail in search of riches. All these adveturers have to guide them are legends and garbled tales of the dangers that lie in wait -- hostile coasts, fields of ice, impassable barriers and strange, terrifying creatures. But all accounts concur that the people of the north meet all trespassers with the sword. And beyond are rumoured to lurk Elder monsters out of history's very beginnings. Into this turmoil ventures the mercenary company, the Crimson Guard. Not drawn by contract, but by the promise of answers: answers to mysteries that Shimmer, second in command, wonders should even be sought. Arriving also, part of an uneasy alliance of Malazan fortune-hunters and Letherii soldiery, comes the bard Fisher kel Tath. And with him is a Tiste Andii who was found washed ashore and who cannot remember his past life, yet who commands far more power than he really should. Also venturing north is said to be a mighty champion, a man who once fought for the Malazans, the bearer of a sword that slays gods: Whiteblade.

And lastly, far to the south, a woman guards the shore awaiting both her allies and her enemies. Silverfox, newly incarnated Summoner of the undying army of the T'lan Imass, will do anything to stop the renewal of an ages-old crusade that could lay waste to the entire continent and beyond. Casting light on mysteries spanning the Malazan empire, and offering a glimpse of the storied and epic history that shaped it, Assail is the final chapter in the epic story of the Empire of Malaz.

Apt is the only one who reads this. Apt is nice.

#47 User is offline   blackzoid 

• Mortal Sword

Posted 31 May 2013 - 03:58 PM

Cannot wait!

And Kyle = Whiteblade guy. Baal is south of Assail if I recall.
"Ages-old crusade" sounds to me like it could be Tiste Liosan or Forkrul Assail

That mysterious Tiste Andii better not be Rake though!

#48 User is offline   Tattersail_ 

• formerly Ganoes Paran
  • Interests:Mafia. Awesome Pictures. Awesome Videos. Did I mention Mafia?
    snapchat - rustyspoon84

Posted 31 May 2013 - 04:01 PM

View Postblackzoid, on 31 May 2013 - 03:58 PM, said:

Cannot wait!

I think it'll be Draconus or Andarist or Silchas?
Apt is the only one who reads this. Apt is nice.

#49 User is offline   blackzoid 

• Mortal Sword

Posted 31 May 2013 - 04:41 PM

Had a thought, it could be Clip?
He never really recovered after the Dying God took him over.

#50 User is offline   tiam 

• Ascendant
  • Group: Mott Irregulars

Posted 31 May 2013 - 04:42 PM

Very intriguing indeed not at all like BandB where you spot Kallor from fifty paces. Kyle for the whiteblade but the Andii is interesting.

I think Assail deserves its own subforum now surely?

This post has been edited by Jean-Claude Van tiam: 31 May 2013 - 04:43 PM

#51 User is offline   Spoilsport Stonny 

• Mortal Sword

Posted 31 May 2013 - 04:46 PM

If he's coming with Fisher, it could be Orfantal. We never actually SAW him die. Dying, yes, but not dead.

Or it could be anyone. Lots of Tiste Andii in Black Coral. One fell into the sea, hit his head on a rock, BAM! Instant Tom Hanks.
Theorizing that one could poop within his own lifetime, Doctor Poopet led an elite group of scientists into the desert to develop a top secret project, known as QUANTUM POOP. Pressured to prove his theories or lose funding, Doctor Poopet, prematurely stepped into the Poop Accelerator and vanished. He awoke to find himself in the past, suffering from partial amnesia and facing a mirror image that was not his own. Fortunately, contact with his own bowels was made through brainwave transmissions, with Al the Poop Observer, who appeared in the form of a hologram that only Doctor Poopet could see and hear. Trapped in the past, Doctor Poopet finds himself pooping from life to life, pooping things right, that once went wrong and hoping each time, that his next poop will be the poop home.

#52 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 31 May 2013 - 07:56 PM

Did one of Nimander's cousins in TtH 'dissappear' as opposed to die? Nenanda maybe.... I'm blanking... Darist wasnt that powerful and Silch is pretty distinct so i think they're off the table.
Orfantal... Unlikely but not unthinkable. Draconus is already back in play so not him unless Morn found himself an escape. A memory wiped Rake is entirely possible, esp after RCG gave us back a certain Wickan showing pretty clearly ICE is willing to go there.

I'm hoping Antsy is part of the treasure hunting team. I liked how ICE handled him in OST.

The Letherii angle leaves open a few fun possibilities for characters we haven't seen since TCG.

Whiteblade almost has to be Kyle, now with even more beard.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#53 User is offline   Dragnipurake 

• Captain

Posted 01 June 2013 - 03:21 AM

Think its Rake (way more power than he should). Always wondered about the significance of the eye of the god Kadaspala creates on the wagon that he takes with him. Nenanda if I remember correctly is the empty female that MD takes over.

#54 User is offline   Sinisdar Toste 

• Dead Serious
  • View gallery

Posted 01 June 2013 - 04:20 AM

thats aranatha. nenanda is male.

i really don't want the amnesiac andii to be rake. orfantal would be better.

This post has been edited by Sinisdar Toste: 01 June 2013 - 04:20 AM

There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

- Oscar Levant

#55 User is offline   Imperial Historian 

• Master of the Deck
  • Group: Administrators

Posted 01 June 2013 - 11:11 AM

View PostJean-Claude Van tiam, on 31 May 2013 - 04:42 PM, said:

Very intriguing indeed not at all like BandB where you spot Kallor from fifty paces. Kyle for the whiteblade but the Andii is interesting.

I think Assail deserves its own subforum now surely?

Yes, apologies for the delay!

I'm looking forward to this. Feel free to go wild with Assail spoilers and speculation in this forum.

#56 User is offline   Illuyankas 

• Retro Classic
  • Group: The Hateocracy of Truth
  • Will cluck you up

Posted 01 June 2013 - 03:07 PM

View Postblackzoid, on 31 May 2013 - 03:58 PM, said:

Cannot wait!

Haha, nearly exactly what I posted in the other synopsis thread just now, only a day ago. Great minds etc.
Hello, soldiers, look at your mage, now back to me, now back at your mage, now back to me. Sadly, he isn’t me, but if he stopped being an unascended mortal and switched to Sole Spice, he could smell like he’s me. Look down, back up, where are you? You’re in a warren with the High Mage your cadre mage could smell like. What’s in your hand, back at me. I have it, it’s an acorn with two gates to that realm you love. Look again, the acorn is now otataral. Anything is possible when your mage smells like Sole Spice and not a Bole brother. I’m on a quorl.

#57 User is offline   Khellendros 

• Saboteur of High House Mafia

Posted 01 June 2013 - 04:30 PM

Kedeviss is the Andii in Nimander's group who died but we didn't see it (Clip killed her with kelyk and then threw her body over a cliff). Could be her I suppose...but then could be an all new character all together.

Either way, and despite my decidedly mixed reaction to ICE's books, I'm excited!!!

Edit: Also, the blurb refers to the Andii as a male, so not Kedeviss then. Unless they had an Orfantal-style sex change of course.

This post has been edited by Khellendros: 01 June 2013 - 04:32 PM

"I think I've made a terrible error of judgement."

#58 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 01 June 2013 - 05:15 PM

Oh yes, male. And that means yet again we won't be seeing Feral. Biggest tease of the series for me. I doubt it's Rake, that would just be nutty (so would Andarist IMO, but relatively much less so; Silchas is fine and dandy at the end of TCG, plus he's an albino, so won't be him). And I personally thought Orfantal's death was pretty clear cut, so I'm betting against him, but what do I know. Clip or any of the Rake offspring post-Eleint battle make some plausible sense. Could also be any unknown or barely known Andii who just got out of Dragnipur with everyone else.

But ultimately, if I was to bet actual money on anyone, I'd go with Blind Gallan.
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#59 User is offline   tiam 

• Ascendant
  • Group: Mott Irregulars

Posted 01 June 2013 - 05:49 PM

Random dragnipured andii is actually a pretty good theory and gallan is the only andii that could be a possible game changer i really hope its him now.

Could it not also be an orchid kind of chracter. A draconian soletaken from knowhere in particular.

This post has been edited by Jean-Claude Van tiam: 01 June 2013 - 05:52 PM

#60 User is offline   nacht 

• Mortal Sword

Posted 02 June 2013 - 11:25 PM

View Postsorrysort, on 01 June 2013 - 05:15 PM, said:

Oh yes, male. And that means yet again we won't be seeing Feral. Biggest tease of the series for me. I doubt it's Rake, that would just be nutty (so would Andarist IMO, but relatively much less so; Silchas is fine and dandy at the end of TCG, plus he's an albino, so won't be him). And I personally thought Orfantal's death was pretty clear cut, so I'm betting against him, but what do I know. Clip or any of the Rake offspring post-Eleint battle make some plausible sense. Could also be any unknown or barely known Andii who just got out of Dragnipur with everyone else.

But ultimately, if I was to bet actual money on anyone, I'd go with Blind Gallan.

This theory gives me some peace. Trying to guess potential candidates for this mysterious Andii was driving me crazy.
It is very much in ICE style to drop in strangers that we are not familiar with (like Orchid and Malakai)

Share this topic:

• 9 Pages +
  • Last »

Fast Reply

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users