Malazan Empire: ASSAIL - Malazan Empire

• 9 Pages +
  • Last »

ASSAIL Aka ICE 5: The Culminating Convergence SPOILERS!!!!

#21 User is offline   Cause 

• Elder God
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 11 March 2013 - 10:22 PM

View PostAbyss, on 11 March 2013 - 08:57 PM, said:

In OST the Miner Imass had no trouble telling that the Tyrant was human, not Jaghut. Presumably if Jaghut were active on Assail, the Imass messenger/coatrack in MoI would have known it.

But contrast that with Brood's discussion with Endest Silan in TtH that the FA/Jaghut conflict is still going on in Assail....

Unless it's the humans who are directing the FA and Jaghut....

...ooOOOOOOooooo.....

I got the impression that the Miner was confused. I thought it was agreed that the Tyrant Soul was Jhagut that inhabited whatever wore its mask. It had a finnest!

#22 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 11 March 2013 - 10:25 PM

Unless Osserc or another Ascendant knows. It's possible they were Tiste who were set a task once upon a time.
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#23 User is offline   champ 

• Omnipotent Overseer of the Universe
  • Group: Team Quick Ben

Posted 12 March 2013 - 11:28 AM

re Storm Rider origins, I think we will find that out in SE Khark arc.

Also knew there was another thread out there with some further discussion points.

http://forum.malazan...=1

Tehol said:

'Yet my heart breaks for a naked hen.'

#24 User is offline   Tattersail_ 

• formerly Ganoes Paran
  • Group: High House Mafia
  • Interests:Mafia. Awesome Pictures. Awesome Videos. Did I mention Mafia?
    snapchat - rustyspoon84

Posted 12 March 2013 - 12:28 PM

View PostAbyss, on 11 March 2013 - 06:52 PM, said:

View PostD, on 11 March 2013 - 05:47 PM, said:

...Something to do with all these Crippled God pieces that aren't making it to the Unchaining? Hmm, now that could make for an interesting convergence...

Now that's a big ugly question right there... so far we have CG chunks at the heart of SW and BaB, but the core of the Assail mystery is hinted to involve the FA vs Jaghut conflict, one or more human empires, and (aspect) Death. I'd almost be dissappointed if the whole thing came down to another stray CG chunk, but given what The Lady was revealed to have pulled off with the Stormwall, the entire continent could turn out to be a great big altar ... which would actually be pretty cool now that i think about it...

We know from MoI that some Tlan Imass clans became engaged on Assail and wouldn't extract themselves, and SFox took more clans to the party. It's unknown whether there's an older connection to the Imass... if the hint in TtH that Assail is an unending FA v Jaghut conflict pays off, then the Imass connection is there, tho MoI also suggested the Empires were human, not Jaghut.

The Crimson Guard bring a possible 'modern' version of the Imass' Tellan Ritual to the show, with a peculiar undeath (the Brethren and whatever's happening to K'azz) that RCG and elsewhere suggested may mirror something going on on Assail, and BaB showed us the Brethren may not be as dead as they thought they were.

Throw a stray CG chunk or two into the mix and things could be on a fast train headed to awesometown.

How about human tyrants cool enough to have Jaghut underlings? Imass battle for centuries against Jaghut, so if there was a "respected" enough general that is actually leading a Jaghut army that would be cool.
Apt is the only one who reads this. Apt is nice.

#25 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 12 March 2013 - 02:14 PM

View PostD, on 11 March 2013 - 09:40 PM, said:

View PostAbyss, on 11 March 2013 - 09:10 PM, said:

I think we've seen all we're going to about the Stormriders.

I agree. We'll never learn what their "origin" is because not a single character in the books knows either.

Tho there have been hints.
It may also be one of those classic SE/ICE mysteries like the Boles, that's revealed in passing by a series of separate hints and comments , along the lines of Osserc mentioning 'Oh yeah, the Stormriders... human/Jaghut crossbreed thing, didn't work out, bummer, moving on...' and then two books later Ruthan Gudd looks at his sword and says 'Poor bastards.' and then a book later Karsa has sex with a Stormrider...

View PostCause, on 11 March 2013 - 10:22 PM, said:

In OST the Miner Imass had no trouble telling that the Tyrant was human, not Jaghut....

I got the impression that the Miner was confused. I thought it was agreed that the Tyrant Soul was Jhagut that inhabited whatever wore its mask. It had a finnest!

I read it as a Jaghut technique being used by a human.

And any being of power can have a finnest... Gothos jammed Scabby into one

View Postworrywort, on 11 March 2013 - 10:25 PM, said:

Unless Osserc or another Ascendant knows. It's possible they were Tiste who were set a task once upon a time.

NoK says they're human (or at least the one in the epilogue in that book was), tho that doesn't remove the possibility of a crossbreed.

Can someone with Map Skillz tell me how close Assail is to the Stormrider territory, because to my uncertain recall they're on opposite sides of the world, which doesn't really suggest an appearance.

Otoh, if there is another stray CG chunk there, the Riders may pursue their vendetta from SW and send someone...
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#26 User is offline   Werthead 

• Ascendant

Posted 12 March 2013 - 04:05 PM

View PostAbyss, on 12 March 2013 - 02:14 PM, said:

Can someone with Map Skillz tell me how close Assail is to the Stormrider territory, because to my uncertain recall they're on opposite sides of the world, which doesn't really suggest an appearance.

Assail is south of Genabackis, due east of Korel/Stratem. It's close enough for the crossing from/to Bael (a peninsula at the southern end of the Assail continent and Kyle's homeland) to be fairly straightforward, so it may be close enough for the Stormriders to get involved.

Adding to our knowledge, we have Admin Hetan's reports of the map (Assail is a long, skinny continent apparently) and TBH mentions the Wreckers' Coast at the northern end of Assail and that the Malazan Empire knows about the continent, and knows to steer well clear.
Visit The Wertzone for reviews of SF&F books, DVDs and computer games!

"Try standing out in a winter storm all night and see how tough you are. Start with that. Then go into a bar and pick a fight and see how tough you are. And then go home and break crockery over your head. Start with those three and you'll be good to go."
- Bruce Campbell on how to be as cool as he is

#27 User is offline   Salt-Man Z 

• My pen halts, though I do not
  • View gallery

Posted 12 March 2013 - 04:14 PM

Not counting Gudd's armor, have we even seen a Stormrider in one of SE's books?
"Here is light. You will say that it is not a living entity, but you miss the point that it is more, not less. Without occupying space, it fills the universe. It nourishes everything, yet itself feeds upon destruction. We claim to control it, but does it not perhaps cultivate us as a source of food? May it not be that all wood grows so that it can be set ablaze, and that men and women are born to kindle fires?"
―Gene Wolfe, The Citadel of the Autarch

#28 User is offline   Salt-Man Z 

• My pen halts, though I do not
  • View gallery

Posted 12 March 2013 - 04:17 PM

NoK says they're human (or at least the one in the epilogue in that book was)

Not really; the one in the epilogue has warm red blood, which surprises the old man, but that's it. Otherwise, NoK describes them as being relatively fish-like.

Edit for details from the epilogue: "pale", "lustrous" and cold skin, "stinks like a fish", hair consistently described as seaweed, and "churning amber eyes".

This post has been edited by Salt-Man Z: 12 March 2013 - 04:21 PM

"Here is light. You will say that it is not a living entity, but you miss the point that it is more, not less. Without occupying space, it fills the universe. It nourishes everything, yet itself feeds upon destruction. We claim to control it, but does it not perhaps cultivate us as a source of food? May it not be that all wood grows so that it can be set ablaze, and that men and women are born to kindle fires?"
―Gene Wolfe, The Citadel of the Autarch

#29 User is offline   ShadowOwl 

• High Fist

Posted 12 March 2013 - 06:02 PM

Now remember back to Stonewielder and Shell's mention of how the dead stormriders looked like the tiste andii she had seen except their skin was pallid. Another twist in the tale.
"Yes, the owl was deliberate in each and every instance, and yes, it was intended to work on multiple levels." (from SE's Dec 09 Q&A)

#30 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 12 March 2013 - 06:02 PM

View PostSalt-Man Z, on 12 March 2013 - 04:17 PM, said:

NoK says they're human (or at least the one in the epilogue in that book was)

Not really; the one in the epilogue has warm red blood, which surprises the old man, but that's it. Otherwise, NoK describes them as being relatively fish-like.

Edit for details from the epilogue: "pale", "lustrous" and cold skin, "stinks like a fish", hair consistently described as seaweed, and "churning amber eyes".

True, I should have written Nok hints they're human.

#31 User is offline   Silk 

• Master of the Decks -- Spinning round and Round
  • Group: Bridgeburner

Posted 12 March 2013 - 08:08 PM

In OST the Miner Imass had no trouble telling that the Tyrant was human, not Jaghut. Presumably if Jaghut were active on Assail, the Imass messenger/coatrack in MoI would have known it.

But contrast that with Brood's discussion with Endest Silan in TtH that the FA/Jaghut conflict is still going on in Assail....

Unless it's the humans who are directing the FA and Jaghut....

...ooOOOOOOooooo.....

This maurries with the quote by T'riss about how everything will be decided by mortals, as always...

#32 User is offline   George Sengar 

• Private Fiddler
  • Interests:Reading, playing World of Warcraft, snooker, modded cars.

Posted 12 March 2013 - 09:00 PM

...then two books later Ruthan Gudd looks at his sword and says 'Poor bastards.' and then a book later Karsa has sex with a Stormrider...

I haven't read Blood and Bone yet but if this happens I totally get the title...:D

#33 User is offline   Cyclorrhapha 

• Corporal

Posted 10 April 2013 - 06:07 PM

Wonder if we'll finally get to see Jorrick Sharplance now that all of the Guard are supposedly converging on Assail. Also seeing as how, back in MoI, Kallor used to be bent on killing Silverfox I'd say it's safe to bet on his appearance on this continent. If not for her then for a confrontation with Draconus who I also hope is going to have his, at the very least, 2 minutes of spotlight in this book.

Regarding the Tyrants, I'd not rule out the possibility of them being renegade High Mage Forkrul Assail Pures disguised as humans so as to further their own agenda without attracting notice/possible retribution from Reverance and other Pures from tCG.

#34 User is offline   tiam 

• Ascendant
  • Group: Mott Irregulars

Posted 10 April 2013 - 08:46 PM

Im not sure about Jorrick but im sure well see Cal Brinn and his blade. Theyve been mentioned for ages and I really hope hes a legend like Bars.

#35 User is offline   Jussi 

• Sergeant

Posted 15 April 2013 - 09:52 PM

As to Lasseen, Urko, and Cartheron (and so many others)—these constitute the team of characters through which Steve and I dramatized the creation of the Malazan "Empire" in its campaign to win Quon Tali. This back-story that hasn't been touched yet: the early empire history. All gamed through by us long ago. Right now, I'm the one designated to tell these stories (I believe)—should we get to them.

As to carrying on characters, I believe readers will find that I've shifted in this towards the end. The through-lines increase as we move to Blood and Bone, and on to Assail. Some of these plot element through-lines will surprise the readers, I think.

I'm currently not under contract for any more. However, looking ahead, (as discussed above) Steve and I had divided up the fields of exploration in the manner that I might do the Imperial back-story, while he would do the Imperial after-stories. I would really enjoy telling these stories. We'll see—it may happen.

As to when Assail is coming out, well, I'm working on it now and it's proving a real challenge. Don't know when I'll be done, but I'd expect to see the book out end of this year or so—but this depends upon Bantam, and their schedule. After this, I expect I would return to the world if I find a story that really pulls at me (see above).

http://www.tor.com/b...guard-questions

#36 User is offline   Defiance 

• Vicariously I live while the whole world dies
  • Interests:Malazan, RPGs, writing

Posted 16 April 2013 - 02:22 AM

I was just about to post that, Jussi. Very interesting to hear how Esslemont may continue writing Malazan books after the Assail novel, with a large possibility of learning more about the forming of the Malazan Empire. I'm wonder, considering that feelings toward ICE on this forum are mixed: how do you all feel about this? Would you rather Erikson be the one to write about the formation? Would you rather it not be covered at all and just left up to speculation? Or do you think ICE has grown enough as a writer that he'll be able to successfully tell the tale?
uhm, that should be 'stuff.' My stiff is never nihilistic.
~Steven Erikson

Mythwood: Play-by-post RP board.

#37 User is offline   Seiko 

• Pretentious Plebeian

Posted 16 April 2013 - 03:48 PM

More Malazan is always a blessing in my eyes. I still, like so many people on here, think that ICE excels when in a new setting and with his own characters. Stonewielder and Blood and Bone were far and away my favourites from him. I've never had a problem with his portrayal of Shadowthrone and Dancer, and a bunch of the other figures from the early formation of the empire are blank enough for him to paint them how he wants without people complaining about their characterization. So I think he could pull it off, and well, too.

#38 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 16 April 2013 - 07:19 PM

Tor posted a Q&A with ICE....

...note in particular his plan to be done with ASSAIL by the end of the year.

#39 User is offline   Defiance 

• Vicariously I live while the whole world dies
  • Interests:Malazan, RPGs, writing

Posted 16 April 2013 - 07:33 PM

View PostAbyss, on 16 April 2013 - 07:19 PM, said:

Bad administrator! Read the thread before you post! Posted Image
uhm, that should be 'stuff.' My stiff is never nihilistic.
~Steven Erikson

Mythwood: Play-by-post RP board.

#40 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 16 April 2013 - 08:07 PM

View PostDefiance, on 16 April 2013 - 07:33 PM, said:

View PostAbyss, on 16 April 2013 - 07:19 PM, said:

Bad administrator! Read the thread before you post! Posted Image

Lazy me is lazy.
You'll take what i link you and like it.

But on the bright side, HEY! ASSAIL this year!!!!!

Maybe.

Share this topic:

• 9 Pages +
  • Last »

Fast Reply

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users