• « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

The Star Wars MegaThread Movie discussions, announcements, etc

#961 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 18 December 2015 - 11:14 PM

Sorry you didn't like it BK. I know how much you were looking forward to it.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#962 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 18 December 2015 - 11:25 PM

New box office record. Big surprise there. :p

Next stop - hopefully wipe Avatar from the top spot.

http://www.news.com....23c055171e0e595

This post has been edited by Tsundoku: 18 December 2015 - 11:26 PM

"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"Well well well ... if it ain't The Invisible C**t." - Billy Butcher, The Boys

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#963 User is offline   Serenity 

• Saki!!!!!

Posted 19 December 2015 - 01:18 AM

^^ I thought John Boyega did a great job as Finn, and the humour worked well for me :p

#964 User is offline   Traveller 

• exile
  • Group: Malazan Artist

Posted 19 December 2015 - 02:08 AM

I didn't have a problem with the humour.
Spoiler

So that's the story. And what was the real lesson? Don't leave things in the fridge.

#965 User is offline   Silencer 

• Manipulating Special Data
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Malazan Book of the Fallen series.
    Computer Game Design.
    Programming.

Posted 19 December 2015 - 03:54 AM

Yeah, I think you've let your (misplaced, imo) love of the EU ruin this for you. :p
Humour? The humour in this was great. There were comparatively no cringe inducing moments like the ones that littered the prequels, even RotS.
Boyega was great. His character was definitely the weaker of the two big new protagonists but it wasn't atrocious 'get it out!' levels like, I don't know, Anakin. Or Jar-Jar.

Hopefully you don't let your serious EU hangover affect future viewings. :rolleyes:

Shinrei said:

<Vote Silencer> For not garnering any heat or any love for that matter. And I'm being serious here, it's like a mental block that is there, and you just keep forgetting it.

#966 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 19 December 2015 - 03:55 AM

I thought Finn was great actually. Both funny and dramatic as it was called for. Boyeg is an awesome actor in my books.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#967 User is offline   Nevyn 

• Shield Anvil

Posted 19 December 2015 - 04:36 AM

View PostBriar King, on 18 December 2015 - 08:46 PM, said:

Spoiler

Spoiler

Tatts early in SH game: Hmm, so if I'm liberal I should have voted Nein to make sure I'm president? I'm not that selfish

Tatts later in SAME game: I'm going to be a corrupt official. I have turned from my liberal ways, and now will vote against the pesky liberals. Viva la Fascism.
When Venge's turn comes, he will get a yes from Mess, Dolmen, Nevyn and Venge but a no from the 3 fascists and me. **** with my Government, and i'll **** with yours

#968 User is offline   TheRetiredBridgeburner 

• House Knight

Posted 19 December 2015 - 06:49 AM

Loved it. We went to see it last night and our screen all cheered and clapped at the end (that's not really a done thing in the UK). There are little things I could probably pick fault with, but I don't want to. Abrams gave me a Star Wars film that feels like a Star Wars film, after the travesty of the last three. Very happy! :p
- Wyrd biđ ful aræd -

#969 User is offline   Serenity 

• Saki!!!!!

Posted 19 December 2015 - 11:08 AM

View PostTheRetiredBridgeburner, on 19 December 2015 - 06:49 AM, said:

Loved it. We went to see it last night and our screen all cheered and clapped at the end (that's not really a done thing in the UK).

Yeah, I saw it in Leicester Square and there was a lot of that there, too - not just at the end but at the start and at various points during the movie. At the end, a guy a few rows in front of us jumped to his feet and kept shouting "YES! YES!" :p

#970 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 19 December 2015 - 01:45 PM

View PostBriar King, on 19 December 2015 - 07:41 AM, said:

So what was up with
Spoiler

I'm CONSIDERING picking up movie novel to get inside the cast heads but I may just grill Scott with questions after he reads it cause I know your going to get it.

I am getting it :p and yeah I'll let youn know when I'm done so you can grill me.

#971 User is offline   blackzoid 

• Mortal Sword

Posted 19 December 2015 - 01:49 PM

Saw it last night. Liked the first 30 mins. Then I began to dislike the film. By the end, i'm not going to say I actively hated it, but it was getting there. Recycled plot and forced humour is a big no-no for my enjoyment in general so thats probably the reason. I'd give it 4/10. A must see for the cultural moment thing I guess but thats about it. Kidna like Kingdom of the Crystal Skull maybe? How is that film viewed these days anyway?

This post has been edited by blackzoid: 19 December 2015 - 01:53 PM

#972 User is offline   Gothos 

• Map painting expert

Posted 19 December 2015 - 03:22 PM

Seen it today. Loved it. Can't wait for the next part!
It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who strives valiantly; who errs and comes short again and again; because there is not effort without error and shortcomings; but who does actually strive to do the deed; who knows the great enthusiasm, the great devotion, who spends himself in a worthy cause, who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement and who at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly. So that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat.

#973 User is offline   Nevyn 

• Shield Anvil

Posted 19 December 2015 - 05:01 PM

View Postblackzoid, on 19 December 2015 - 01:49 PM, said:

Saw it last night. Liked the first 30 mins. Then I began to dislike the film. By the end, i'm not going to say I actively hated it, but it was getting there. Recycled plot and forced humour is a big no-no for my enjoyment in general so thats probably the reason. I'd give it 4/10. A must see for the cultural moment thing I guess but thats about it. Kidna like Kingdom of the Crystal Skull maybe? How is that film viewed these days anyway?

Ok, give me a break. There are issues but it is WAY better than Kingdom of the Crystal Skull
Tatts early in SH game: Hmm, so if I'm liberal I should have voted Nein to make sure I'm president? I'm not that selfish

Tatts later in SAME game: I'm going to be a corrupt official. I have turned from my liberal ways, and now will vote against the pesky liberals. Viva la Fascism.
When Venge's turn comes, he will get a yes from Mess, Dolmen, Nevyn and Venge but a no from the 3 fascists and me. **** with my Government, and i'll **** with yours

#974 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 19 December 2015 - 06:22 PM

Going spoilers

Spoiler

I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

#975 User is offline   blackzoid 

• Mortal Sword

Posted 19 December 2015 - 08:32 PM

View PostNevyn, on 19 December 2015 - 05:01 PM, said:

Ok, give me a break. There are issues but it is WAY better than Kingdom of the Crystal Skull

Well not exactly at the same quality but reasonably close in execution, for my personal taste buds anyway.
Competant and efficient sure but given the hype and expectations behind them, letdowns.
Sorry, but thats the way I feel anyway.

#976 User is offline   tiam 

• Ascendant
  • Group: Mott Irregulars

Posted 19 December 2015 - 09:00 PM

Spoiler

This post has been edited by tiam: 19 December 2015 - 09:01 PM

#977 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 19 December 2015 - 09:15 PM

Spoiler

BK, Novelization purchased. Start reading it tomorrow and you can grill me later this week.

#978 User is offline   Traveller 

• exile
  • Group: Malazan Artist

Posted 19 December 2015 - 10:06 PM

I want to go and see it again.
So that's the story. And what was the real lesson? Don't leave things in the fridge.

#979 User is offline   A Demon Llama! 

• First Sword
  • View gallery
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 20 December 2015 - 02:41 AM

Ok Just saw the movie. Gonna post my thoughts before reading anything.

Spoiler

No Touchy.

#980 User is offline   A Demon Llama! 

• First Sword
  • View gallery
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 20 December 2015 - 03:09 AM

Want to add a few more things. I loved the fact that shit was actually built and there were physical models and creatures and stuff. Also, did anyyone notice that the main actress that plays Rey looks like Hugo Weaving but in female form? I might be attracted to Hugo Weaving now...

Spoiler

This post has been edited by A Demon Llama!: 20 December 2015 - 03:11 AM

No Touchy.

Share this topic:

• 143 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

17 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 17 guests, 0 anonymous users