The Star Wars MegaThread Movie discussions, announcements, etc

#941 User is offline   polishgenius 

• Heart of Courage
  • Group: LHTEC

Posted 18 December 2015 - 02:20 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 18 December 2015 - 02:05 PM, said:

Spoiler

Spoiler

I can't carry it for you, but I can carry you.

#942 User is offline   Nevyn 

• Shield Anvil
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 18 December 2015 - 02:35 PM

Spoiler

Spoiler

Tatts early in SH game: Hmm, so if I'm liberal I should have voted Nein to make sure I'm president? I'm not that selfish

Tatts later in SAME game: I'm going to be a corrupt official. I have turned from my liberal ways, and now will vote against the pesky liberals. Viva la Fascism.
When Venge's turn comes, he will get a yes from Mess, Dolmen, Nevyn and Venge but a no from the 3 fascists and me. **** with my Government, and i'll **** with yours

#943 User is offline   Brujah 

• Suicide of High House Mafia
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 18 December 2015 - 02:51 PM

There's no way I wouldn't enjoy it, no matter what. It's Star Wars. It's good to hear positive reviews tho.

Was going to see it tonight, but the wife is sick.
And when you're Gone, you stay Gone, or you be Gone. You lost all your Seven Cities privileges. - Karsa

you're such an inspiration for the ways that I will never, ever choose to be...
- Maynard James Keenan

#944 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 18 December 2015 - 02:58 PM

View Postpolishgenius, on 18 December 2015 - 02:20 PM, said:

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

View PostNevyn, on 18 December 2015 - 02:35 PM, said:

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#945 User is offline   Serenity 

• Saki!!!!!

Posted 18 December 2015 - 03:06 PM

Really fun interview with JJ on Radio 5 Live's Mayo & Kermode Film Review just now. My favourite bit:

Simon Mayo: Who would win in a fight between Han Solo and Captain Kirk?

JJ: I think Han Solo - because he'd shoot first.

:p

#946 User is offline   Nevyn 

• Shield Anvil

Posted 18 December 2015 - 03:11 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 18 December 2015 - 02:58 PM, said:

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

And this part needs no spoiler tag. Expanding on the above, the way I sum it up is that there are some movies that pull you in for the ride so much that you simply follow along. You are immersed in the story. Your lap could be on fire and you may not notice. And there are others where you are very conscious of being in a theatre watching a movie. You can still enjoy parts, but its a more intellectual than emotional exercise. And for me this was the latter.

I acknowledge that that is a very personal sentiment that others may not share. I acknowledge that it is more difficult to built that type of immersion with a familiar world/story and with hyped expectations. And I acknowledge the difficulty of making a new movie that caters to new kids, satisfies nostalgia, etc. But most of the complaints I have made upthread come back to this. They were choices made that I became conscious of that got me thinking about 'do I like that?' at a time when I should just be immersed in the movie.

This post has been edited by Nevyn: 18 December 2015 - 03:21 PM

Tatts early in SH game: Hmm, so if I'm liberal I should have voted Nein to make sure I'm president? I'm not that selfish

Tatts later in SAME game: I'm going to be a corrupt official. I have turned from my liberal ways, and now will vote against the pesky liberals. Viva la Fascism.
When Venge's turn comes, he will get a yes from Mess, Dolmen, Nevyn and Venge but a no from the 3 fascists and me. **** with my Government, and i'll **** with yours

#947 User is offline   Brujah 

• Suicide of High House Mafia

Posted 18 December 2015 - 03:50 PM

Light-sabres induce a warm, fuzzy and hypnotic effect on the mind and body. I believe there is concrete scientific data backing this statement.
And when you're Gone, you stay Gone, or you be Gone. You lost all your Seven Cities privileges. - Karsa

you're such an inspiration for the ways that I will never, ever choose to be...
- Maynard James Keenan

#948 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 18 December 2015 - 04:51 PM

Fury Road is a better movie than almost anything, so it's not really a bad thing to say SWFA is not as good.

SWFA is a good movie. Fury Road is a masterpiece.

I'm directing this at QuickTidal. SWFA may be far more important to you, so enjoy that as you will while seeing them for they are.

This post has been edited by amphibian: 18 December 2015 - 04:53 PM

I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

#949 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 18 December 2015 - 05:07 PM

View Postamphibian, on 18 December 2015 - 04:51 PM, said:

Fury Road is a better movie than almost anything, so it's not really a bad thing to say SWFA is not as good.

SWFA is a good movie. Fury Road is a masterpiece.

I'm directing this at QuickTidal. SWFA may be far more important to you, so enjoy that as you will while seeing them for they are.

See, this is where subjectivity comes in. I think both MAD MAX and TFA are masterpieces...and I like TFA better of the two.

It's okay that you don't feel the same way, but your scale isn't somehow better than my scale for that reasoning, nor is there some filmic barometer which says that Mad Max is an untouchable pinnacle of filmaking in comparison. It's ALL subjective. Stand in any Film Festival lineup full of film critics, and film nerds, and none of them will universally agree. I don't have to "see things as they are" or something so subjective.

I'm cool with Mad Max being better in your eyes...be cool with TFA being better in my eyes, and we can call it a day.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#950 User is offline   Garak 

• Emperor
  • Interests:40k, Star Wars, Babylon 5, WW2, A Song of Ice and Fire, the Drenai series, the Riftwar and all that followed it, D&D, Vikings, the Malazan Book of the Fallen. I think you get the gist of it.

Posted 18 December 2015 - 05:47 PM

This movie had the alien Hive creatures from the Merrimack books in it (unintentional but that was my immediate thought upon seeing those three monsters).

Spoiler

This post has been edited by Garak: 18 December 2015 - 05:49 PM

The meaning of life is BOOM!!!

#951 User is offline   polishgenius 

• Heart of Courage
  • Group: LHTEC

Posted 18 December 2015 - 05:55 PM

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

ETA:

I'm cool with Mad Max being better in your eyes...be cool with TFA being better in my eyes, and we can call it a day.

Just as long as we agree that Kick-Ass is better than both. :p

This post has been edited by polishgenius: 18 December 2015 - 05:56 PM

I can't carry it for you, but I can carry you.

#952 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 18 December 2015 - 05:59 PM

View Postpolishgenius, on 18 December 2015 - 05:55 PM, said:

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

ETA:

Just as long as we agree that Kick-Ass is better than both. :p

Ah, good points. I could see that. I guess the Starkiller base bit felt more realized to me than to you.

RE: the comms. Yeah, space should feel vast...but Star Wars has never felt exceptionally vast to me I guess. None of the shows (TCW, REBELS) or the main movies ever felt like long trips were such a given.

And no PG, You know I loathe KICK-ASS. LOL!

This post has been edited by QuickTidal: 18 December 2015 - 05:59 PM

#953 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 18 December 2015 - 06:07 PM

FYI: I'm buying the Greg Rucka book BEFORE THE AWAKENING which tells the story of Poe, Finn, and Rey directly before the movie, I'll let you all know if anything comes up important in there...

Alan Dean Foster's official novelization is coming out soon too, which I'd like to read and see what other tidbits I get.

#954 User is offline   Obdigore 

• ThunderBear

Posted 18 December 2015 - 06:35 PM

Some things that are being discussed, and some other shit:

Spoiler

None of that is to say I didn't enjoy the movie quite a bit, and will probably see it at least once more in theaters.

Edit: I swear I heard Alec Guinness' voice in the movie during the vision quest. You all know what I'm talking about. That thing sent shivers up my spine.

This post has been edited by Obdigore: 18 December 2015 - 06:37 PM

Monster Hunter World Iceborne: It's like hunting monsters, but on crack, but the monsters are also on crack.

#955 User is offline   Grief 

• Prophet of High House Mafia
  • Group: Administrators

Posted 18 December 2015 - 06:50 PM

In general, I really thought the film was excellent. However, it definitely had some things that I felt could have been done rather better. Big spoilers for all that follows.

The Good:

Spoiler

The less good:

Spoiler

Anyway, I enjoyed it a ton. I feel like it generally met my prediction that there wouldn't be too many risks taken, but that the film would be very solid. Although in terms of just how good it was, I'd say it surpassed my expectations. At the same time, I did come out feeling that with just a little more polish, it could've taken it to a whole different level; what I find makes my gripes most irritating that so many of them just seem very avoidable. It's certainly sold me on going to see the rest of them (as if I wouldn't have even it had been terrible :p).

Oh, and regarding one of the things being discussed in this thread:

Spoiler

Cougar said:

Grief, FFS will you do something with your sig, it's bloody awful

worry said:

Grief is right (until we abolish capitalism).

#956 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 18 December 2015 - 06:55 PM

I think we need to remember that Star wars is not science fiction. It's fantasy.

Spoiler

#957 User is offline   Cause 

• Elder God

Posted 18 December 2015 - 07:23 PM

Spoiler

#958 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 18 December 2015 - 08:04 PM

View PostCause, on 18 December 2015 - 07:23 PM, said:

Spoiler

Spoiler

This post has been edited by QuickTidal: 18 December 2015 - 08:06 PM

#959 User is offline   Obdigore 

• ThunderBear

Posted 18 December 2015 - 08:30 PM

Just so you all know, I've been "spoiling" everyone at work by telling them this:

The bad guy is luke and leia's inbred son, and he looks like Sloth from the Goonies which is why he always wears a helmet.

Some people think I'm serious, and it is entertaining.
Monster Hunter World Iceborne: It's like hunting monsters, but on crack, but the monsters are also on crack.

#960 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 18 December 2015 - 11:10 PM

Well played Sian. :p

http://www.news.com....0b177e4b1be5227
"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"Well well well ... if it ain't The Invisible C**t." - Billy Butcher, The Boys

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

Share this topic:

• 143 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users