• Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

The Star Wars MegaThread Movie discussions, announcements, etc

#1001 User is offline   Traveller 

• exile
  • Group: Malazan Artist

Posted 21 December 2015 - 06:41 AM

I've noticed that there hasn't been much of a reaction, on this thread at least, to
Spoiler

I'd like to watch it again without that sense of expectation I always get on a first viewing.

This post has been edited by Traveller: 21 December 2015 - 06:51 AM

So that's the story. And what was the real lesson? Don't leave things in the fridge.

#1002 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 21 December 2015 - 06:43 AM

Spoiler

They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#1003 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 21 December 2015 - 07:17 AM

Spoiler

They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#1004 User is offline   Morgoth 

• executor emeritus
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 21 December 2015 - 07:38 AM

I watched it last night and I had a lot of fun! Very pleased by the whole experience.

I loved the two mains, Rey and Finn. The actors did very well, and the chemistry between them was great. I very much enjoyed how Rey continously refused to be rescued, how competent she was, that was very refreshing. I also thought Ford did a very good job as an old man trying to climb back into a life he left long ago (being a smugler, not a general).

Spoiler

This post has been edited by Morgoth: 21 December 2015 - 07:39 AM

Take good care to keep relations civil
It's decent in the first of gentlemen
To speak friendly, Even to the devil

#1005 User is offline   Maark Abbott 

• Part Time Catgirl
  • Interests:Redacted

Posted 21 December 2015 - 07:39 AM

View PostTraveller, on 21 December 2015 - 06:41 AM, said:

I've noticed that there hasn't been much of a reaction, on this thread at least, to
Spoiler

I'd like to watch it again without that sense of expectation I always get on a first viewing.

Spoiler

Debut novel 'Incarnate' now available on Kindle

#1006 User is offline   Traveller 

• exile

Posted 21 December 2015 - 08:55 AM

View PostMorgoth, on 21 December 2015 - 07:38 AM, said:

I watched it last night and I had a lot of fun! Very pleased by the whole experience.

I loved the two mains, Rey and Finn. The actors did very well, and the chemistry between them was great. I very much enjoyed how Rey continously refused to be rescued, how competent she was, that was very refreshing. I also thought Ford did a very good job as an old man trying to climb back into a life he left long ago (being a smugler, not a general).

Spoiler

Sums up my thoughts too. Although regarding Ren,
Spoiler

This post has been edited by Traveller: 21 December 2015 - 09:01 AM

So that's the story. And what was the real lesson? Don't leave things in the fridge.

#1007 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 21 December 2015 - 12:00 PM

Going to see it in Wednesday, but for something different (and rather TIC) here's some Galactic economics on destroying Death Stars willy-nilly:

http://www.news.com....e495c63ae595631
"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"Well well well ... if it ain't The Invisible C**t." - Billy Butcher, The Boys

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#1008 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 21 December 2015 - 12:17 PM

I've heard from a few people who have seen it more than once among my friends, and they've pretty universally said that any of their initial nitpicks vanish upon the second viewing. No expectations, just sitting back and enjoying. Which is nice to hear. I can't wait to see it again on Wednesday.

Also, it's gone 517 million for 3 days, and it's not even open in China yet...I'm thinking that this is gonna crack the 3 billion mark, and will definitely unseat AVATAR.

BK, starting the novelization today, will let you know how it goes.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#1009 User is offline   polishgenius 

• Heart of Courage
  • Group: LHTEC

Posted 21 December 2015 - 12:56 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 21 December 2015 - 12:17 PM, said:

Also, it's gone 517 million for 3 days, and it's not even open in China yet...I'm thinking that this is gonna crack the 3 billion mark, and will definitely unseat AVATAR.

While at first glance it seems likely to beat Avatar, it didn't actually break Jurassic World's records worldwide, and only broke them in the US thanks to a Thursday open. And according to box office mojo a big China gross isn't the sure thing it is elsewhere in the world, with the OT only being screened there for the first time this year and the PT making a whole 18mil combined.
So while I'm rooting for it to break Avatar and am expecting it to have more longevity than JW, especially with the holiday season, it's not as certain as a glance at the numbers make it seem.
I can't carry it for you, but I can carry you.

#1010 User is offline   Obdigore 

• ThunderBear

Posted 21 December 2015 - 02:03 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 20 December 2015 - 11:01 PM, said:

View PostDefiance, on 20 December 2015 - 08:48 PM, said:

I enjoyed the film. It was a definite step up from the prequels. I really look forward to seeing Rey's journey. That actress did a hell of a job. Same for the guy who played Kylo Ren.

I have similar complaints to what most have voiced:

Spoiler

Spoiler

I don't think your 1 here is true, QT.

In the movie, at least
Spoiler

So I'm still confused at the whole 'resistance' thing. Why do they have only a squadron of xwings and some ground troops, when they are a part (I think?) of the Republic?

This post has been edited by Obdigore: 21 December 2015 - 02:03 PM

Monster Hunter World Iceborne: It's like hunting monsters, but on crack, but the monsters are also on crack.

#1011 User is offline   Garak 

• Emperor
  • Interests:40k, Star Wars, Babylon 5, WW2, A Song of Ice and Fire, the Drenai series, the Riftwar and all that followed it, D&D, Vikings, the Malazan Book of the Fallen. I think you get the gist of it.

Posted 21 December 2015 - 02:25 PM

The Resistence are not part of the Republic. Officially the Republic considers them to be a bunch of nutters who still thin there's anything to be afraid of regarding the First Order (which is viewed like we do North Korea). Unofficially some Republic senators do give funds to the Resistence, which is why they have a few squadrons of X-wings and at least 2 capital ships (including the Home One).
The meaning of life is BOOM!!!

#1012 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 21 December 2015 - 02:32 PM

View PostObdigore, on 21 December 2015 - 02:03 PM, said:

View PostQuickTidal, on 20 December 2015 - 11:01 PM, said:

View PostDefiance, on 20 December 2015 - 08:48 PM, said:

I enjoyed the film. It was a definite step up from the prequels. I really look forward to seeing Rey's journey. That actress did a hell of a job. Same for the guy who played Kylo Ren.

I have similar complaints to what most have voiced:

Spoiler

Spoiler

I don't think your 1 here is true, QT.

In the movie, at least
Spoiler

So I'm still confused at the whole 'resistance' thing. Why do they have only a squadron of xwings and some ground troops, when they are a part (I think?) of the Republic?

Spoiler

This post has been edited by QuickTidal: 21 December 2015 - 02:35 PM

"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#1013 User is offline   Silencer 

• Manipulating Special Data
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Malazan Book of the Fallen series.
    Computer Game Design.
    Programming.

Posted 21 December 2015 - 02:42 PM

I took that to be:

Spoiler

So that's what thought anyway.

Shinrei said:

<Vote Silencer> For not garnering any heat or any love for that matter. And I'm being serious here, it's like a mental block that is there, and you just keep forgetting it.

#1014 User is offline   Obdigore 

• ThunderBear

Posted 21 December 2015 - 03:18 PM

So all of that may be, but none of it was even HINTED at in the movie.

There is nothing in the movie saying why there is a 'resistance' against the first order which sees itself at war with the Republic, and why they apparently have a single squadron of x-wings... the first order states they need to destroy the republic fleet, and yet, the 'resistance' is just ugh.

It's poorly done in the movie. I only hope that it was done this poorly because explanations were left on the cutting room floor, and the 'directors edition' will have some explanations that were cut.

It's one of two things in the movie that could have been done better that really bug me.

I'm also kind of shocked that
Spoiler

This post has been edited by Obdigore: 21 December 2015 - 03:22 PM

Monster Hunter World Iceborne: It's like hunting monsters, but on crack, but the monsters are also on crack.

#1015 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 21 December 2015 - 03:42 PM

View PostSilencer, on 21 December 2015 - 02:42 PM, said:

I took that to be:

Spoiler

So that's what thought anyway.

Canon Source (AFTERMATH) says:
Spoiler

View PostObdigore, on 21 December 2015 - 03:18 PM, said:

So all of that may be, but none of it was even HINTED at in the movie.

There is nothing in the movie saying why there is a 'resistance' against the first order which sees itself at war with the Republic, and why they apparently have a single squadron of x-wings... the first order states they need to destroy the republic fleet, and yet, the 'resistance' is just ugh.

It's poorly done in the movie. I only hope that it was done this poorly because explanations were left on the cutting room floor, and the 'directors edition' will have some explanations that were cut.

It's one of two things in the movie that could have been done better that really bug me.

I'm also kind of shocked that
Spoiler

Spoiler

This post has been edited by QuickTidal: 21 December 2015 - 03:42 PM

#1016 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 21 December 2015 - 04:48 PM

Spoiler

#1017 User is offline   Salt-Man Z 

• My pen halts, though I do not
  • View gallery

Posted 21 December 2015 - 05:00 PM

Saw it yesterday. Loved it. Still doesn't feel like "real" Star Wars to me (on account of the EU) but it felt like a real Star Wars movie, if that makes sense. Some quick thoughts:
  • All of the new characters were great. Adam Driver's performance as
    Spoiler
    Kylo Ren was fantastic.
  • I can't help but think that
    Spoiler

• Speaking of which,
    Spoiler

• J.J. Abrams really hates that whole large-distances-in-space thing, doesn't he? I mean like, absolutely abhors it.
  • Am I the only one who thought 3PO's voice sounded oddly high-pitched? Having just watched the OT with the kiddos the two nights prior, it really jumped out at me.
  • I was fine with Starkiller base, even if it wasn't really explained. It was a little contradictory
    Spoiler
    No biggie either way.
  • I totally figured the last line of the movie would be
    Spoiler

• And yes, the map
    Spoiler

• Also on the map:
    Spoiler

"Here is light. You will say that it is not a living entity, but you miss the point that it is more, not less. Without occupying space, it fills the universe. It nourishes everything, yet itself feeds upon destruction. We claim to control it, but does it not perhaps cultivate us as a source of food? May it not be that all wood grows so that it can be set ablaze, and that men and women are born to kindle fires?"
―Gene Wolfe, The Citadel of the Autarch

#1018 User is offline   Traveller 

• exile

Posted 21 December 2015 - 05:13 PM

In regards to the map
Spoiler

#1019 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 21 December 2015 - 05:19 PM

Re: The map.

JJ noted
Spoiler

This post has been edited by QuickTidal: 21 December 2015 - 05:21 PM

#1020 User is offline   Salt-Man Z 

• My pen halts, though I do not
  • View gallery

Posted 21 December 2015 - 05:38 PM

Hey Scott, do you have a link to the JJ quotes? (Or what is the source, exactly?) I want to share them on Tor.com, but I'd be more credible if I knew where they were from.
"Here is light. You will say that it is not a living entity, but you miss the point that it is more, not less. Without occupying space, it fills the universe. It nourishes everything, yet itself feeds upon destruction. We claim to control it, but does it not perhaps cultivate us as a source of food? May it not be that all wood grows so that it can be set ablaze, and that men and women are born to kindle fires?"
―Gene Wolfe, The Citadel of the Autarch

Share this topic:

• 143 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users