• « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

The Star Wars MegaThread Movie discussions, announcements, etc

#2341 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 22 December 2019 - 07:15 PM

View Postpolishgenius, on 22 December 2019 - 02:54 PM, said:

I understood it, I just hate that trope presented in that way. That’s not how memory works!

I mean for some people it is. I don’t know that you can carts Blanche say what someone’s memory process is just because it’s not your own.

Beyond that, it let them have the actors share another scene together and it was beautiful and cyclical.

I don’t see what that’s an issue myself.

This post has been edited by QuickTidal: 22 December 2019 - 07:22 PM

"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#2342 User is offline   polishgenius 

• Heart of Courage
  • Group: LHTEC

Posted 22 December 2019 - 11:27 PM

You saw beautiful and cynical, I saw lazy (I've rarely seen that trope used in a situation where I didn't think it was because the director couldn't think of a way to show a character's internal struggle and choices without giving an external figure to project them onto) and cynical. Just don't like it.

Each to their own I guess...
I can't carry it for you, but I can carry you.

#2343 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 23 December 2019 - 12:22 AM

Fair enough. I think it gave those two actors a lovely scene to do. Shrug. Made me weepy.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#2344 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 23 December 2019 - 03:27 AM

I don't think he has the lazy $10+ billion that would require these days.

Plus, do you really want the guy who gave us the prequel trilogy because he believed his own bullshit and was surrounded by yes-men (non-gendered) to be in charge once again?

Give it to Dave Filoni with top cover from somebody decent at Disney. Yes that's a hard ask.

This post has been edited by Tsundoku: 23 December 2019 - 03:28 AM

"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"Well well well ... if it ain't The Invisible C**t." - Billy Butcher, The Boys

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#2345 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 23 December 2019 - 03:29 AM

I'm sure every time he hears a fanboy cry and has those thoughts he consoles himself with a relaxing dip in his money pool and a massage from hot naked ladies as he looks out over the view from one of his opulent mansions.

This post has been edited by Tsundoku: 23 December 2019 - 03:30 AM

"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"Well well well ... if it ain't The Invisible C**t." - Billy Butcher, The Boys

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#2346 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 23 December 2019 - 04:31 AM

Spoiler

#2347 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 24 December 2019 - 05:25 AM

Saw Episode 9 yesterday.

On it's own it's not entirely terrible, just very flawed and poorly written, but as the finale of a trilogy the film is an utter failure.

Spoiler

#2348 User is offline   rant 

• Sergeant

Posted 28 December 2019 - 06:34 AM

Is the plan to post in the forum until there are no objections to ep 9? Cuz I object.

Honestly, I am wondering if JJ Abrahms can actually tell a story. Like, without mystery boxes and 'survive; reveals'

This post has been edited by rant: 28 December 2019 - 06:45 AM

#2349 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 28 December 2019 - 05:10 PM

Come back in about a year and everyone will change their initial opinion and routinely hate it. Right now it's booger eating, fanboy emotional protection response you're only going to get.

The series has been taken in a direction lacking in creativity and works far too hard to please the masses instead of defining itself #DisneyJustWantsYourMoney

#2350 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 28 December 2019 - 05:36 PM

Isn't there plenty of posts on this very page criticising Episode 9?

#2351 User is offline   Traveller 

• exile
  • Group: Malazan Artist

Posted 28 December 2019 - 05:59 PM

View PostMalankazooie, on 28 December 2019 - 05:10 PM, said:

Come back in about a year and everyone will change their initial opinion and routinely hate it. Right now it's booger eating, fanboy emotional protection response you're only going to get.

The series has been taken in a direction lacking in creativity and works far too hard to please the masses instead of defining itself #DisneyJustWantsYourMoney

Why does everyone that hates it or is indifferent to it want everyone else to hate it?

I had a great time. Best SW cinema experience since the originals!

This post has been edited by Traveller: 28 December 2019 - 07:40 PM

So that's the story. And what was the real lesson? Don't leave things in the fridge.

#2352 User is offline   Khellendros 

• Saboteur of High House Mafia
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 28 December 2019 - 10:53 PM

Saw it, thought it was meh.

I flat out did not like the previous one, but in some ways this was worse in that it didn’t really make me feel anything. I think I will probably forget anything that happened in about a week. It just seemed like everyone involved in it was going through the motions. They tried to reintroduce some of the snappy dialogue from TFA, but the delivery was half-hearted. They again didn’t know what to do with Finn, he was just sort of present. It says something that I thought the best and closest to being affecting scene was the one where they essentially recreate the Han-Ben scene from TFA. It did not feel, to me, like the epic end of a trilogy, but why that is is pretty obvious at this point.
"I think I've made a terrible error of judgement."

#2353 User is offline   paran falcon 

• Emperor

Posted 30 December 2019 - 02:59 PM

We saw TRoS on Friday. I don't have much to add to what others have expressed. I liked some of it and I seriously disliked some of it. One thing I haven't seen anyone here mention
Spoiler

Despite the things I didn't like about this movie and the overall trilogy, where the very end leaves us is wide open for plenty of storytelling going forward. The problem is, I don't
trust Disney to make any good decisions on that front. Unless Jon Favreau or Dave Filoni write the story(ies), it could easily continue to be no more than meh. And that's really unfortunate because when SW is done well (Rebels, Mandalorian, Rogue One, to a lesser degree) they still have the ability to get my attention and my $.

This post has been edited by paran falcon: 30 December 2019 - 03:01 PM

#2354 User is offline   rant 

• Sergeant

Posted 30 December 2019 - 04:00 PM

Spoiler

#2355 User is offline   Chance 

• Mortal Sword

Posted 31 December 2019 - 07:47 PM

Saw it today and I didn't have high hopes so it was a great positive surprise, not perfect by any means but about as good as I think can be expected. Easily the best of the new films except for Rogue One for me.

While there where a thousand things to nit pick about after it was enjoyable and fun, it had to carry two movies of poor decisions and characters that we didn't need but since it was pretty fun why go into details.

Hopefully now they can start over having learned that if you want to build a series of movies you make them connected and keep the same people working on them all the way or at least supervising it.

#2356 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 01 January 2020 - 02:59 AM

Saw it again today. Even better the second go round!

And THAT scene is still my all time fave.

:)

#2357 User is online   Cause 

• Elder God

Posted 02 January 2020 - 03:26 PM

The last Jedi was a terrible movie but I mostly enjoyed this one. It’s a mess but it manages to hide it for the most part. Hides it with fun stars wars action, flash lights etc. I also think in general I was in a good mood for this one. My first movie in months and my first in America.

That said the first half was better than the second half I think. The longer the movie went on the harder it became to ignore the problems. The plot was driven by the plot for plots sake. Whatever the plot needed the plot got. No foreshadowing, no cause preceding effect.

#2358 User is offline   Slow Ben 

• Ranger

Posted 02 January 2020 - 03:47 PM

View PostCause, on 02 January 2020 - 03:26 PM, said:

The last Jedi was a terrible movie but I mostly enjoyed this one. It's a mess but it manages to hide it for the most part. Hides it with fun stars wars action, flash lights etc. I also think in general I was in a good mood for this one. My first movie in months and my first in America.

That said the first half was better than the second half I think. The longer the movie went on the harder it became to ignore the problems. The plot was driven by the plot for plots sake. Whatever the plot needed the plot got. No foreshadowing, no cause preceding effect.

This seems to be the consensus i've seen on here and elsewhere."its a mess but manages to hide it for the most part". If you all were singing its praises i'd probably bite my tongue and watch it, but as it is I'll wait for Disney+.
I've always been crazy but its kept me from going insane.

#2359 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon

Posted 03 January 2020 - 07:24 PM

Finally seen it and I flipping loved it. Going to ignore this thread anyway cos no doubt there is someone who'll tell me why I shouldn't like it haha
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#2360 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 03 January 2020 - 07:54 PM

View PostTiste Simeon, on 03 January 2020 - 07:24 PM, said:

Finally seen it and I flipping loved it. Going to ignore this thread anyway cos no doubt there is someone who'll tell me why I shouldn't like it haha

Actually, most of us thought it was great, myself included. :)

Share this topic:

• 143 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users