• Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

The Star Wars MegaThread Movie discussions, announcements, etc

#2381 User is offline   Traveller 

• exile
  • Group: Malazan Artist

Posted 28 January 2020 - 02:12 PM

That moment on Mortis, by the Wellspring of Dark, when Obi-Wan confronts possessed Anakin is so similar to their fight on Mustafar. But whereas on Mortis Obi-Wan can bring him back to himself as he hasn't actually acted on anything yet - on Mustafar it's too late; he's already taken the temple, killed kids and jedi and then overwhelmed Padme. When Obi Wan says 'Then you are lost!' he can't see a way back for him this time.
So that's the story. And what was the real lesson? Don't leave things in the fridge.

#2382 User is offline   Traveller 

• exile

Posted 29 January 2020 - 06:23 AM

PROJECT LUMINOUS
02/24/20
So that's the story. And what was the real lesson? Don't leave things in the fridge.

#2383 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 29 January 2020 - 11:26 AM

As far as I’m aware Project Luminous is supposedly a multi-creator era of stuff during what is called the High Republic...whether this is the Disney version of old republic or not remains to be seen
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#2384 User is offline   Garak 

• Emperor
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Interests:40k, Star Wars, Babylon 5, WW2, A Song of Ice and Fire, the Drenai series, the Riftwar and all that followed it, D&D, Vikings, the Malazan Book of the Fallen. I think you get the gist of it.

Posted 29 January 2020 - 11:35 AM

Regarding Ashoka after Clone Wars, there's a novel.

https://starwars.fan...i/Ahsoka_(novel)
The meaning of life is BOOM!!!

#2385 User is offline   paran falcon 

• Emperor

Posted 29 January 2020 - 01:44 PM

View PostGarak, on 29 January 2020 - 11:35 AM, said:

Yes, the book by E.K. Johnston. I've read it. It has some interesting nuggets in it, like how she ends up with her white bladed sabers, as well as a few other details. Worth the read.

#2386 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 29 January 2020 - 02:05 PM

View Postparan falcon, on 29 January 2020 - 01:44 PM, said:

View PostGarak, on 29 January 2020 - 11:35 AM, said:

Yes, the book by E.K. Johnston. I've read it. It has some interesting nuggets in it, like how she ends up with her white bladed sabers, as well as a few other details. Worth the read.

I suspect (judging by the trailer) that we will see the events that lead right up to that book in TCW Final season....since the bit at the end of the trailer has her duel with Maul....which IIRC the book begins right after that when Rex helps her bury her Sabers....

Also, it was a good book that I quite liked.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#2387 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 03 February 2020 - 06:10 PM

Baby Mr. Peanut would eat Baby Yoda for breakfast and shit chunks of him out at lunch.

Posted Image

#2388 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 10 February 2020 - 06:29 PM

Unused Episode IX DUEL OF THE FATES script leaked in its entirety.

So, I mean....it's fine. It's got a LOT of hokey dialogue that feels messier than TROS...but the Mortis Arc is a MUCH better route for a villain and tying that into Kylo is solid. I don't love Rey nobody's actual name (Rey Solana)...I like the "blinding" but it bothers me that she gets a reset button on it in the end...that feels like a pointless thing to do to a Jedi who could absolutely live their lives as a blind Jedi, and it would be a hell of a war scar to bear. Coruscant being involved pleases me to no end. Double bladed blue saber for Rey also pleases me to no end. I don't really care much about a bunch of the plot carry overs from TLJ (Broom Boy ect.). Like if you excise the Mortis Arc from this, you're not left with much that I would say is any better than TROS. It's about the same level for me.

#2389 User is offline   Traveller 

• exile

Posted 25 February 2020 - 09:36 AM

So.. Project Luminous = The High Republic.

https://youtu.be/xCat5fXRyyU

Lots of material to play with obviously; but setting something in the glorious past when you've reduced all of that to a handful of people in the latest movie might be considered something of a gamble.

This post has been edited by Traveller: 25 February 2020 - 09:38 AM

#2390 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 25 February 2020 - 12:43 PM

200 years is far enough back to have a beginning middle and end that don’t touch the whole sith VS Jedi stuff...so you can drop a line between this and the Skywalker saga. A happy ending, if you will, before the conflict starts anew with the sith.

I’m really in...most of this sounds really cool

This post has been edited by QuickTidal: 25 February 2020 - 01:11 PM

#2391 User is offline   Whisperzzzzzzz 

• Reaper's Fail

Posted 26 February 2020 - 05:05 AM

View PostBeaver Killia, on 26 February 2020 - 03:06 AM, said:

So is it a show or books? I saw Claudia Gray and that end seemed like book/comic covers. If it’s books only I ll be skipping out on it.

It seems like it will be multimedia.

Is the Old Republic being renamed to High Republic?

#2392 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 26 February 2020 - 05:27 AM

Books and comics for Phase 1, phase 2 is tbd.
If I followed it's set post KOTOR, pre PT. IO9 has a fairly detailed article up.

...and High Republic is already a weed joke meme.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#2393 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 26 February 2020 - 01:02 PM

View PostWhisperzzzzzzz, on 26 February 2020 - 05:05 AM, said:

View PostBeaver Killia, on 26 February 2020 - 03:06 AM, said:

So is it a show or books? I saw Claudia Gray and that end seemed like book/comic covers. If it’s books only I ll be skipping out on it.

It seems like it will be multimedia.

Is the Old Republic being renamed to High Republic?

Old Republic is 1000 years BeforeTPM, this series is 200ish years BeforeTPM, so Old Republic ----> High Republic ------> Republic (Prequels)----->OT----ST

View PostBeaver Killia, on 26 February 2020 - 05:17 AM, said:

Yeah I’m really confused on just what the fuck they are doing...that is a crazy “letting you know” campaign if it is just books imo. I’m really getting a slight Vong but not Vong/NJO vibe cherry-pick.

So far, it's books and comics...but they are very key on it being just where it starts...

View PostAbyss, on 26 February 2020 - 05:27 AM, said:

Books and comics for Phase 1, phase 2 is tbd.
If I followed it's set post KOTOR, pre PT. IO9 has a fairly detailed article up.

...and High Republic is already a weed joke meme.

I would wager that this is them basically learning their lesson about Star Wars. You simply can't re-issue / reformat the past and make it work. Star Wars DoesNotEqual Cash if it's done poorly. So they know not to touch the PT/OT/ST anymore...and they EVEN know not to touch the KOTOR-era (because that fandom runs DEEP)...that to REALLY settle into an era of proper and fresh storytelling and be unencumbered by anything that exists...you have to do so in an era untouched.

That's the High Republic.

Hell, just listen to the way they talk about it...the Jedi don't have to be beholden to the PT/OT tenets...they are being described as Arthurian Knights...those who bring justice to the lawless. There is no prophecy, no Jedi Order constraints, nothing that need be carried into this form the other media aside from mild things.

Even the villains sound cool, and there is room for more than just the Sith style "evil for evil's sake"...

But yeah, I have a feeling while the TV stuff on D+ focuses on Mando and such...these books and comics will lead the way to the next spat of movies taking place during the High Republic. You want your MCU Star Wars? This is how you do it. Introduce everyone to brand new characters in a time period no one has seen, and build everything up.

I for one, am excited and catuisaly optimstic. I also like the authors they have for it.

EDIT: All that said, this may be for naught with Bob Iger's replacement as Disney CEO being Bob Chapek, the cheap a-hole who ruined Galaxy's Edge with cuts to plans...like this guy makes Michael Eisner look good...so we will see how that goes.

EDTI #2: Re movies...the leak a few weeks back that Project Luminous was indeed the High Republic that was getting mentions in the current comics contained info about not just the books and comics, but a game AND a movie...so possible.

Also, the badass looking Jedi with the yellow saber on the cover of Soule's LIGHT OF tHE JEDI book...is named Avar Kriss, and has already shown up in The Rise of Kylo Ren comic in an old holocron. So that's cool.

I'm sorry, I'm really jazzed about all this. I can't wait to read Soule's book at the very least (which will apparently be the gateway book).

This post has been edited by QuickTidal: 26 February 2020 - 02:25 PM

#2394 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 04 March 2020 - 09:27 PM

I watched Spaceballs recently, it's been awhile since I've watched it. And I gotta say, I enjoyed watching Spaceballs by magnitudes more then I do watching any of the Star Wars material, including ANH, TESB & ROTJ. Posted Image

Does that make me a bad person? Or can it just be chalked up to recency bias / too much familiarity with orig SW?

#2395 User is offline   Slow Ben 

• Ranger

Posted 05 March 2020 - 09:10 PM

You can chalk it up to Spaceballs being fucking awesome.

Keep firing, assholes!

I've been doing a complete series rewatch. I haven't watched them since Revenge came out on DVD. So far i've watched the prequels, i'll start the sequels tonight.

Just some random thoughts, most of it is obvious and has been discussed to death, but i'm rambling. Comment or ignore, whatevs.

TPM- Its like they wanted to make a Star Wars movie half for adults and half YA. and it all got squashed together.

Jar Jar gets worse with each watch, but the Gungans in general are horrible. Or at least the main 2 (jar jar and boss nass) are. I have no idea who thought he'd bring anything positive to the series, but I can see how he could completely ruin the movie for people.

The lightsaber battle between Qui-Gon, Obi-Wan, and Maul is still the best, or second best of the entire series. Especially after Qui-Gon goes down.

AoTC- Lets just get this out of the way for this and the next, Hayden Christensen is an incredibly bad actor. Half the reason you cant invest in the character in 2, 3 is he's just unbelievably horrible. You want an unknown actor? Great. Make sure they can act at least a little bit.

I don't know if its possible to hamfist a lovestory together any worse than they did in this movie. But its totally unbelievable and jarring for the story.

Lightsaber battles were a decent step down in this series. Why they went with such a closeup style of fighting is baffling to me.

RoTS-The first half of this movie is just ok. The battle in Palpatines office is mostly a complete letdown for fans who'd been waiting so long to see Palps in action. I understand he's powerful, but the Jedi look like they're standing still and Palps looks like he's moving in quicksand.

IMO, the only great part of the prequels was the execution of Order 66. Its just so brutal and sad. When the youngling flinches when Anakin powers up his saber, best scene in the prequels.

After 66 the movie is much better, Christensen acting aside (He's even worse when he's acting angry). From 66 on, its actually good.

Overall, the prequels are ok. Just ok. Which is sad, because it doesnt feel like it would actually take too many changes to make it good.

Thank god for The Clone Wars cartoon.
I've always been crazy but its kept me from going insane.

#2396 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon

Posted 05 March 2020 - 09:43 PM

View PostBeaver Killia, on 05 March 2020 - 09:28 PM, said:

Say what you will about AOTC it still has one of the best parts in any SW movie to date. The beginning of the arena battle. At the time it was a wet dream come true to finally see more then 2 light sabers on screen.

Doesn't often happen but I agree with you. The bit where all the Jedi appear is a great fist pump moment that I still remember watching the first time!
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#2397 User is offline   Slow Ben 

• Ranger

Posted 05 March 2020 - 09:52 PM

View PostTiste Simeon, on 05 March 2020 - 09:43 PM, said:

View PostBeaver Killia, on 05 March 2020 - 09:28 PM, said:

Say what you will about AOTC it still has one of the best parts in any SW movie to date. The beginning of the arena battle. At the time it was a wet dream come true to finally see more then 2 light sabers on screen.

Doesn't often happen but I agree with you. The bit where all the Jedi appear is a great fist pump moment that I still remember watching the first time!

100%

I went back to the theater multiple times when if first came out just to see that scene again.

#2398 User is offline   Slow Ben 

• Ranger

Posted 14 March 2020 - 04:00 PM

Who the frack was watching Jedi and thought “you know what this movie is missing? A musical scene in Jaba’s palace!!”?

#2399 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 01 April 2020 - 12:36 AM

View PostBriar King, on 31 March 2020 - 08:31 PM, said:

Goddamn this movie looks crisp on my 4K shit! Was so grainy in 3D..

Since I’m a D+ subscriber, I’m waiting till it drops there...but yeah, it’s gonna be sweet in 4K.

#2400 User is offline   Traveller 

• exile

Posted 01 April 2020 - 09:10 PM

The novel is now out. Apparently it confirms Palpatines crappy new body as a clone that he cant keep healthy, along with another clone he referred to as his 'son', who went AWOL and fathered Rey.

Also I get the impression Snoke was literally a puppet, with Palps talking through him which I didnt get from the movie.

I was just watching Clone Wars and my son came downstairs. He watched an episode with me, then when he found out Palpatines name is Sheev he said 'so if you took the h out and put a t in he would have been called Steve', and shit we've been laughing so hard for about 30 minutes.

This post has been edited by Traveller: 01 April 2020 - 09:11 PM

Share this topic:

• 143 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users