Fat

#21 User is offline   Dolmen 2.0 

• is probably lying
  • View gallery
  • Group: Malazan Artist
  • Interests:Walks in the park.

Waiting till jean gets here.

Posted 03 August 2012 - 10:33 AM

I find that food is an associative element. the stronger the association the stronger the desire to eat regardless of actual need.

Unlike many people I meet I don't eat a lot because I'm depressed. I eat a lot because whenever we were happy as a family big meals were involved. I just wasn't able to comprehend having a good time without plenty of good food and drink. So when I played a fun game, I'd eat, when I had a great morning lecture I'd eat, If I saw a particularly lovely young lady with an attractive posterior, I'd greet her and take her out to a nice place...where we would eat.

Eating is a habit and as I try to lose weight "correctly" I'm learning that there's nothing wrong with being fat. however one should be mindful of how much you're eating in relation to how much you're doing. I know many people slightly over their BMI that tend to be quite proud of the fact and are pretty happy in general. A moderate level of fat is a plus not and its wrong that some people make a point to make people think the opposite. I do think that people that go too far over the edge need to be shocked back into controlling their eating habits but thats not a permanent solution.

On the whole its really hard to identify with exercise these days because frankly speaking you can get by fine without it. there is this "hamster wheel" effect behind going to gym that I really just don't like. I believe that anyone can benefit from walking around and playing a sport that provides more than just exercise for excercise sake, it needs to be fun. I'm behind anyone that advocates that kind of activity. I can't however approve smug conditioners making people hate themselves leading to excercise.

Losing weight should be a life long change of habits and perceptions. shocking someone into it with insults wouldn't help much long term. Its not an issue of intellect. far from it really.
“Behind this mask there is more than just flesh. Beneath this mask there is an idea... and ideas are bulletproof Gas-Fireproof.”

#22 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 03 August 2012 - 03:53 PM

View PostDolmen+, on 03 August 2012 - 10:33 AM, said:

On the whole its really hard to identify with exercise these days because frankly speaking you can get by fine without it. there is this "hamster wheel" effect behind going to gym that I really just don't like.

Ultimately, your experience in the gym is up to you to control. You can do different exercises in a fully plotted out week by week routine like my beloved MBP or Starting Strength or Westside, try non-adaptative training and/or do many other things, but the general fun level will reflect the amount of thought and effort you put into it.

If you feel like there's a hamster wheel effect going, pipe up! There's a fitness and weightlifting thread here on this board where people talk among each other about what they do and how they feel about this or that. Someone on there can help you. Or maybe pipe up in real life, find a trainer who actually knows what he or she is doing and does not have his or her head up an ass and work with them to develop a program that suits you.
I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

#23 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 04 August 2012 - 08:07 AM

I took a scroll through the front page of the website linked, and initially figured it was a joke, like the "not the nine o'clock news" sketch where people are campaigning to change the word fat to stout, and rowan atkinson stands up wearing clothes far too big for himself exclaiming loudly he's proud to be a fatty, flabby, etc.

this website depresses me.

"The Thin People around you didn’t get “lucky”!"

actually, some of them did, my diet during university was appalling, in fact I shudder to think what my insides must look like now after the amount of absolute shite that I ate. I did little or no exercise and ate garbage, all the time. But I stayed in relatively good shape, I still am, although these days I do try watch what I eat a little (not concerned about my weight, just trying to eat more healthyish foods) and do exercise because I want to be fit enough to play footy when I get back to Ireland.

The entire front page makes me want to go and kick the author in the nuts.
Hard

whilst I agree that people aren't "big boned" some people have naturally bigger frames, and being a skinny mother fucker with a big horse sized frame just doesn't look healthy.

ugh, I have no point to add except that website is messing with my groove because its so fucking stupid. Media and society put enough pressure on people already to conform, way to add another helping hand to some poor person developing an eating disorder.

#24 User is offline   tiam 

• Ascendant
  • Group: Mott Irregulars

Posted 04 August 2012 - 09:47 AM

My brothers and their dad are the definition of big boned. They are naturally big, broad shouldered and yes carry alot of body fat. Me and my dad are like Macros, eat what we want yet still remain skinny. I had to really try to gain weight by drinking 4 litres of full fat whole milk a day for a while to get my weight up. Im now not fat but carrying a reasonably high percentage of body fat atm.

While I think there is a point to be made about overall caloric intake being a major concern with people thinking 'healthy' foods are actually healthy when really its things like the extra sauces etc. Subway is a great example. Theres a load of healthy subway adverts about how sportsmen and women eat them when really a subway with all the bells and whistles is very unhealthy or atleast calorically high.

Colour me skeptical about the site

#25 User is offline   Dolmen 2.0 

• is probably lying
  • View gallery
  • Group: Malazan Artist
  • Interests:Walks in the park.

Waiting till jean gets here.

Posted 04 August 2012 - 02:48 PM

View Postamphibian, on 03 August 2012 - 03:53 PM, said:

View PostDolmen+, on 03 August 2012 - 10:33 AM, said:

On the whole its really hard to identify with exercise these days because frankly speaking you can get by fine without it. there is this "hamster wheel" effect behind going to gym that I really just don't like.

Ultimately, your experience in the gym is up to you to control. You can do different exercises in a fully plotted out week by week routine like my beloved MBP or Starting Strength or Westside, try non-adaptative training and/or do many other things, but the general fun level will reflect the amount of thought and effort you put into it.

If you feel like there's a hamster wheel effect going, pipe up! There's a fitness and weightlifting thread here on this board where people talk among each other about what they do and how they feel about this or that. Someone on there can help you. Or maybe pipe up in real life, find a trainer who actually knows what he or she is doing and does not have his or her head up an ass and work with them to develop a program that suits you.

I think I have a system going, will post it in thread. I have read that its better to talk it through so I'm gonna try posting regularly in the thread. also I read somewhere that gym buddies help add that "fun" factor into it. Sadly all my close friends live lightyears away.

Tentative question. the site has that x-ray of the bone structure of fat and thin people. I always believed ones bone structure changed with weight increase. is this genuinely not the case?
“Behind this mask there is more than just flesh. Beneath this mask there is an idea... and ideas are bulletproof Gas-Fireproof.”

#26 User is offline   JLV 

• Stoned Swallow of Low House PEN
  • Group: Tehol's Blissful Chickens

Posted 04 August 2012 - 03:11 PM

The actual frame stays the same size, but the bones become denser (just like what happens when you lift heavy weights). The weights just happen to be bodyfat.

#27 User is offline   Mrs Savagely Wishy Washy 

• unaligned and irremediable
  • Interests:vested.
  • Ugly is the new pretty.

Posted 04 August 2012 - 03:26 PM

they reinforce themselves where the strain/load on the bone is highest.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trabecula

This post has been edited by Miss Savage: 04 August 2012 - 03:27 PM

but are they worth preserving?
'that judgement does not belong to you.'

#28 User is offline   Adjutant Stormy~ 

• Captain, Team Quick Ben
  • Group: Team Quick Ben

Posted 04 August 2012 - 07:16 PM

There's a lot to be said on body type. My friend Conor is a big dude. Not too tall, but just broad, and naturally strong. He's probably 10-15kg "overweight" but it doesn't really compute to fatness, he's built like a walrus.. His fat is all over, like a thin layer of insulation.

I, on the other hand, am 6 feet tall, probably 6-7kg overweight, and my pot-belly looks silly, I just don't get fat anywhere else.

I blame genetics.

This post has been edited by Adjutant Stormy: 04 August 2012 - 07:18 PM

<!--quoteo(post=462161:date=Nov 1 2008, 06:13 PM:name=Aptorian)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Aptorian @ Nov 1 2008, 06:13 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=462161"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->God damn. Mighty drunk. Must ... what is the english movement movement movement for drunk... with out you seemimg drunk?

bla bla bla

Peopleare harrasing me... grrrrrh.

Also people with big noses aren't jews, they're just french

EDIT: We has editted so mucj that5 we're not quite sure... also, leave britney alone.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

#29 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits

Posted 05 August 2012 - 04:32 AM

don't blame genetics, blame brood

#30 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 05 August 2012 - 10:25 AM

View PostMiss Savage, on 03 August 2012 - 07:30 AM, said:

Maybe this guy who set up the website means well, but I find it not acceptable. I certainly wouldn't feel comfortable to take advise from somebody who tells me I am stupid. Besides the fact that my first reaction would be "Go f**** yourself."

It's a website, not a billboard. So if you're reading it, it's because you wanted to.

Personally, I would use the word "lazy" rather than "stupid". I also do PT 5 times a week as part of work, so I'm lucky in that regard.

And yes, I have one of those blessed metabolisms, which I do not apologise for. Unfortunately it doesn't stop me from being as blind as a bat. :p
"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"Well well well ... if it ain't The Invisible C**t." - Billy Butcher, The Boys

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#31 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 05 August 2012 - 11:44 AM

Well, we all went to the website without necessarily wanting to, though I doubt many of us read every word of it, so point taken there. I think it's still kind of silly to debate the details though...it's pretty clearly not meant to help anybody, but rather to mock and diminish people. The "tough love" angle isn't even just a stretch, it's outright dissembling. It's the equivalent of Tucker Max or a radio shock jock, and gives testament to that old saying about how people who are "brutally honest" get more satisfaction from the brutality than the honesty.
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#32 User is offline   Nicodimas 

• Soletaken
  • https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=XbGs_qK2PQA

Posted 10 August 2012 - 09:54 AM

IDK.. I exercise more than most normal people..i run a natural meso body. I can easily get balls to the wall strong with 400+ pound squats, but i don't like being over 200+ lbs.

I hit 12-20 hours of exercise/weekly , eat decent and love love beer run about 185 lbs and its really tough for me to break 15% BF.

Im am not that .1% that won the genetics lottery. I wish i could be 21 again it was so easy then.
-If it's ka it'll come like a wind, and your plans will stand before it no more than a barn before a cyclone

#33 User is offline   Otataral Toblakai 

• Fist

Posted 10 August 2012 - 11:59 AM

For one, that's a scam website - it screams scam. Scam sites are usually one page and presented in that style with bold headings, catchy phrases and usually a discount or membership. So, anyone who's considering trying it, I would recommend not trying it out.

I wouldn't use 'fat' because that's an offensive term, to those who are. Overweight is better. The overweight people I know are always (1) funny, hilarious, good company (2) intelligent more so than those who are thin (3) not prone to fits of anger, moodiness. To this end, overweight people are actually better company, better friends and generally better people. Plus, they usually are fond of food - and that clicks with me as well.

As someone mentioned earlier, whoever's overweight is not so because he/she is stupid but because he/she is lazy. However, some also re as a result of medical conditions and a disease known as Kwashiokor affects those in areas struck with famine. So, overweightness isnt simply a result of laziness but also due to disease.
Disclaimer: The Toblakai in my nick is in no way Karsa but the spawn of a Thelomen Toblakai and the Otataral Dragon.
Disclaimer to the disclaimer: Thinks about his signature and wonders how on earth would a Toblakai and the Otataral Dragon...create offspring?

#34 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits

Posted 10 August 2012 - 12:06 PM

Ridiculous stereotypes much?

#35 User is offline   Morgoth 

• executor emeritus

Posted 10 August 2012 - 12:10 PM

View PostMacros, on 10 August 2012 - 12:06 PM, said:

Ridiculous stereotypes much?

Give them beards and they will be jolly.
Take good care to keep relations civil
It's decent in the first of gentlemen
To speak friendly, Even to the devil

#36 User is offline   masan's saddle 

• Emperor

Posted 10 August 2012 - 01:34 PM

View PostOtataral Toblakai, on 10 August 2012 - 11:59 AM, said:

I wouldn't use 'fat' because that's an offensive term, to those who are. Overweight is better. The overweight people I know are always (1) funny, hilarious, good company (2) intelligent more so than those who are thin (3) not prone to fits of anger, moodiness. To this end, overweight people are actually better company, better friends and generally better people. Plus, they usually are fond of food - and that clicks with me as well.

This post reminds me of a film I saw a few years ago.

It starred Will Ferrell wearing a green hat and green tights.
Now all the friends that you knew in school they used to be so cool, now they just bore you.
Just look at em' now, already pullin' the plow. So quick to take to grain, like some old mule.

#37 User is offline   Otataral Toblakai 

• Fist

Posted 10 August 2012 - 07:33 PM

View Postmasan, on 10 August 2012 - 01:34 PM, said:

I fail to understand. What is wrong with that? Maybe its not that way in America? Somebody enlighten me please.
Disclaimer: The Toblakai in my nick is in no way Karsa but the spawn of a Thelomen Toblakai and the Otataral Dragon.
Disclaimer to the disclaimer: Thinks about his signature and wonders how on earth would a Toblakai and the Otataral Dragon...create offspring?

#38 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits

Posted 10 August 2012 - 09:58 PM

Do they bear gifts?

#39 User is offline   Baco Xtath 

• Wait. What?
  • Interests:Reading, writing, building, fly fishing, anime, MMA, and being a father.

Posted 10 August 2012 - 10:22 PM

View PostOtataral Toblakai, on 10 August 2012 - 07:33 PM, said:

View Postmasan, on 10 August 2012 - 01:34 PM, said:

I fail to understand. What is wrong with that? Maybe its not that way in America? Somebody enlighten me please.

I live in East Tennessee and I can guaran-fucking-tee you that the overweight, fat, and obscenely obese people around here aren't all fun, intelligent, and happy. In fact, I would hazard to say that most around my parts are the complete opposite of your generalization.
"Give a man a fire and he's warm for the day. But set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life." - Terry Pratchett, Jingo"Just erotic. Nothing kinky. It's the difference between using a feather and using a chicken." - Terry Pratchett, Eric
"Wisdom comes from experience. Experience is often a result of a lack of wisdom." - Terry Pratchett

#40 User is offline   gulex 

• Corporal

Posted 18 August 2012 - 03:36 PM

I'm jumping into this topic somewhat last minute but let me say i COMPLETELY and totally disagree with the site - and no, im not fat.
The problem here is one of understanding obesity: Obesity is not a disorder of energy imbalance. In other words, you do not get fat because you eat too much - i know they may sound rediculous initially but it is a truth which is becoming more and more accepted within endocrinology, biochemistry and general nutrition.
How is fat accumulated? through insulin - when we eat carbohydrates they are broken down into glucose in the bloodstream, since excess sugar in the bloodstream can be lethal, we secrete the hormone insulin. Insulin does two things 1). It repenishes muscle glucogen (the 'quick-fuel' in reserve for muscle use) and 2). It stores excess glucose as FAT. Carbohydrate is the only macronutrient to trigger this - in the long run excess carbohydrate will also cause diabetes (an insulin disorder) and promote Cancer (cancer feeds on glucose to multiply. In other words, no glucose - no cancer.)
This means, essentially, that protein and fat is relatively non-fattening. A healthy diet is therefore, ironically, the complete opposite of USDA recommendations. Ie: 50-70% saturated and monounsaturated fat, 20% animal protein and a small amount of natural carbohydrate from vegetables and fruits would be an ideal diet.

I know i sound completely rediculous to people who does not follow nutrition closely. I can only hope that you'll watch the 'Why we get fat' lecture on youtube by Gary Taubes who provides a great and accesible introduction to the misunderstood problems of obesity.
http://www.youtube.c...h?v=M6vpFV6Wkl4

My problem with the provided link is this: The author(s) know nothing about the causes of obesity - we're not getting fat as a nation because we, suddenly and inexplicably grew into lazy gluttons. We are getting fat because people follow the official dietary guidelines. Ie - Over the last 40 years fat consumption has gone down while sugar consumption has gone up. This is whats making people fat and sick. Sugar is, essentially the problem, while a diet rich in saturated fats and vegetables is the cure. I must also emphasize that this is the diet that our paleolithic ancestors ate, in one form or another.

Share this topic:

• 9 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users