Malazan Empire: Has anybody read... - Malazan Empire

• 34 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Has anybody read... ...and what did you think?

#641 User is offline   Gabriele 

• High Fist
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Interests:History, Archaeology, Photogrpahy, Writing, Opera, Traveling, Riding, Languages

Posted 31 August 2022 - 02:06 PM

View PostTsundoku, on 14 August 2022 - 07:49 AM, said:

I have tried numerous times and never got any further than around page 150. Boring as batshit. Just a bunch of upper-crust Russians speaking French (many "bon mots" or whatever they're called left untranslated in my old edition, completely defeating the purpose of having an English version) to each other at boring soirees.

Maybe I need to get a fully translated version. Maybe I need to push past the WTF stuff to get to the good stuff which I am assured is later on (I guess a Malazan fan should be able to). Couldn't be bothered, did not hold my interest at all.

I love the novel. But it is titled War and Peace for a reason. There are a lot of chapters set in peace (either before the war reaches Russia or in places far away from the frontline - until the French reach Moscow; those scenes like the flight of the Rostov family are some of the peaks) and those are basically a Russian Jane Austen without the sarcasm. There is also a good deal of philosophical musings about war in the war chapters. Some stuff should be great even for non-fans, though, like Pjort Besukhov bumbling around in Moscow, trying to assassinate Napoleon. The war scenes are very realistic.

The characters are more 'normal' than those of Dostoyevskij (whose entire cast should see a shrink :D ).

#642 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 18 October 2022 - 07:42 PM

Humble Bundle has the first 29 VAMPIRE HUNTER D novels for $20ish.
Anyone have an opinion?
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#643 User is offline   Salt-Man Z 

• My pen halts, though I do not
  • View gallery

Posted 18 October 2022 - 09:03 PM

View PostAbyss, on 18 October 2022 - 07:42 PM, said:

Humble Bundle has the first 29 VAMPIRE HUNTER D novels for $20ish.
Anyone have an opinion?

About 10 years ago, I saw the first dozen or so books on clearance for maybe $1 each, so I grabbed the first three. Only got through two. The only way I can describe the writing is very anime with a narrator that casually describes how over-the-top-awesome the protagonist is. Some might find it a kind of pulpy fun, but I found the prose way too pedestrian to get into. Not sure if it's the fault of the translator or what. (I will say, I'm still half-tempted to slide that charity slider all the way to the right and pick up the full bundle...)
"Here is light. You will say that it is not a living entity, but you miss the point that it is more, not less. Without occupying space, it fills the universe. It nourishes everything, yet itself feeds upon destruction. We claim to control it, but does it not perhaps cultivate us as a source of food? May it not be that all wood grows so that it can be set ablaze, and that men and women are born to kindle fires?"
―Gene Wolfe, The Citadel of the Autarch

#644 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 24 December 2022 - 08:22 AM

Anyone read the Gray Man novels by Mark Greaney?

I thought the Netflix movie was pretty weak but I guess the book series must be popular for a reason?

#645 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 24 January 2023 - 06:11 AM

Ken Follets Pillars of the Earth series?

Book one is war and peace size, guy at work trying to push it on me...

#646 User is offline   TheRetiredBridgeburner 

• House Knight

Posted 24 January 2023 - 08:07 AM

View PostMacros, on 24 January 2023 - 06:11 AM, said:

Ken Follets Pillars of the Earth series?

Book one is war and peace size, guy at work trying to push it on me...

I've got the first one but haven't read it yet. Friend who read the series said the first one is faintly ridiculous at times but that the series improved as it went on.
- Wyrd bið ful aræd -

#647 User is offline   Salt-Man Z 

• My pen halts, though I do not
  • View gallery

Posted 24 January 2023 - 11:38 PM

I read PILLARS OF THE EARTH back in 2005 before there were sequels and loved it at the time, despite its issues. When I started cataloging my library/reading, it was an easy 5-star choice for me. I don't think I ever read a Follett book I didn't really enjoy, but then it's been almost 2 decades since I've read any of his stuff...
"Here is light. You will say that it is not a living entity, but you miss the point that it is more, not less. Without occupying space, it fills the universe. It nourishes everything, yet itself feeds upon destruction. We claim to control it, but does it not perhaps cultivate us as a source of food? May it not be that all wood grows so that it can be set ablaze, and that men and women are born to kindle fires?"
―Gene Wolfe, The Citadel of the Autarch

#648 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits

Posted 25 January 2023 - 07:03 AM

That's a big reco then, will add it to the list

#649 User is offline   TheRetiredBridgeburner 

• House Knight

Posted 25 January 2023 - 10:25 AM

View PostSalt-Man Z, on 24 January 2023 - 11:38 PM, said:

I read PILLARS OF THE EARTH back in 2005 before there were sequels and loved it at the time, despite its issues. When I started cataloging my library/reading, it was an easy 5-star choice for me. I don't think I ever read a Follett book I didn't really enjoy, but then it's been almost 2 decades since I've read any of his stuff...

Thanks. Shall shift it up the list :)
- Wyrd bið ful aræd -

#650 User is offline   Whisperzzzzzzz 

• Reaper's Fail

Posted 25 February 2023 - 06:22 PM

Molly Gloss' The Dazzle of Day or Harry Martinson's Aniara?

Le Guin recommends them in the foreword to her anthology, The Birthday of the World.

#651 User is offline   Chance 

• Mortal Sword

Posted 26 February 2023 - 01:34 PM

View PostWhisperzzzzzzz, on 25 February 2023 - 06:22 PM, said:

Harry Martinson's Aniara?

Personally I find it wonderful but its probably not for everyone :) but I think if one likes Le Guin I can certainly see a certain old school similarity between them or stuff like Asimov.

Might be even better dramatized now that I think about it, absolutely loved it as a theater piece.

This post has been edited by Chance: 26 February 2023 - 01:40 PM

#652 User is offline   stone monkey 

• I'm the baddest man alive and I don't plan to die...
  • Group: Grumpy Old Sods

Posted 26 February 2023 - 11:30 PM

I have tried numerous times and never got any further than around page 150. Boring as batshit. Just a bunch of upper-crust Russians speaking French (many "bon mots" or whatever they're called left untranslated in my old edition, completely defeating the purpose of having an English version) to each other at boring soirees.

Maybe I need to get a fully translated version. Maybe I need to push past the WTF stuff to get to the good stuff which I am assured is later on (I guess a Malazan fan should be able to). Couldn't be bothered, did not hold my interest at all.

The, soi-disant imo, bon mots are in untranslated French because Tolstoy assumed that every educated person would have some French. And the Russian aristocracy were kind of obsessed with France at the time; the centre of culture and all that folderol.

This post has been edited by stone monkey: 26 February 2023 - 11:30 PM

If an opinion contrary to your own makes you angry, that is a sign that you are subconsciously aware of having no good reason for thinking as you do. If some one maintains that two and two are five, or that Iceland is on the equator, you feel pity rather than anger, unless you know so little of arithmetic or geography that his opinion shakes your own contrary conviction. … So whenever you find yourself getting angry about a difference of opinion, be on your guard; you will probably find, on examination, that your belief is going beyond what the evidence warrants. Bertrand Russell

#653 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 27 February 2023 - 01:19 AM

Sacré bleu!
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#654 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 27 February 2023 - 12:04 PM

View Poststone monkey, on 26 February 2023 - 11:30 PM, said:

I have tried numerous times and never got any further than around page 150. Boring as batshit. Just a bunch of upper-crust Russians speaking French (many "bon mots" or whatever they're called left untranslated in my old edition, completely defeating the purpose of having an English version) to each other at boring soirees.Maybe I need to get a fully translated version. Maybe I need to push past the WTF stuff to get to the good stuff which I am assured is later on (I guess a Malazan fan should be able to). Couldn't be bothered, did not hold my interest at all.
The, soi-disant imo, bon mots are in untranslated French because Tolstoy assumed that every educated person would have some French. And the Russian aristocracy were kind of obsessed with France at the time; the centre of culture and all that folderol.

View Postworry, on 27 February 2023 - 01:19 AM, said:

Sacré bleu!

"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"Well well well ... if it ain't The Invisible C**t." - Billy Butcher, The Boys

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#655 User is offline   Gorefest 

• Witness

Posted 27 February 2023 - 12:32 PM

Trottoir! Et portefeuille!

This post has been edited by Gorefest: 27 February 2023 - 12:32 PM

Yesterday, upon the stair, I saw a man who wasn't there. He wasn't there again today. Oh, how I wish he'd go away.

#656 User is offline   RealGatekeeper1 

• Recruit

Posted 09 May 2023 - 02:56 AM

No.

#657 User is offline   Chance 

• Mortal Sword

Posted 19 June 2023 - 04:58 PM

Anyone tested Will of the Many by James Islington?

#658 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 22 June 2023 - 01:38 PM

View PostChance, on 19 June 2023 - 04:58 PM, said:

Anyone tested Will of the Many by James Islington?

Not yet. Got very tempted by the hardcover in the store though, it's got a LOVELY cover...For what it's worth a few people I trust have read it and enjoyed it a LOT and felt like it was more focused and honed at the writing craft than Licanius.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#659 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits

Posted 30 June 2023 - 07:05 AM

Clickbait silly grumble grumble 7 fantasy books I "need" to read bla bla bla

from that, has anyone read, and what did we think of:

Illborn by Daniel Jackson
Eleventh Cycle by Kain Ardalan
The Ember Blade by Chris Wooding

#660 User is offline   Chance 

• Mortal Sword

Posted 30 June 2023 - 09:17 AM

View PostMacros, on 30 June 2023 - 07:05 AM, said:

The Ember Blade by Chris Wooding

There it is very much a basic troupe ladden fantasy. There are hints that there is more to the world but you the reader doesn't to know much about it by the end of book 1. Not bad but not particularly outstanding in any way either. Personally I might get to book two sometime but probably not until the series is finished.

This post has been edited by Chance: 30 June 2023 - 09:24 AM

Share this topic:

• 34 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users