Malazan Empire: Has anybody read... - Malazan Empire

• 34 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Has anybody read... ...and what did you think?

#601 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 01 January 2022 - 12:16 PM

Is there any fantasy out there that takes place in a golden age of magic and technology?

It seems like all the fantasy books I read are always placed in a setting after the great empire collapsed, magic was outlawed and the gods died. Or something to that effect.

Are there any authors writing the equivalent of hard fantasy or Utopian fiction, where there's an abundance of magic power, golden gods and an endless surplus?

This post has been edited by Aptorian: 01 January 2022 - 12:20 PM

#602 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 01 January 2022 - 01:24 PM

Bit difficult to have drama and conflict in Utopia.

Entropy, on the other hand ...
"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"Well well well ... if it ain't The Invisible C**t." - Billy Butcher, The Boys

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#603 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 01 January 2022 - 02:51 PM

There's always a snake in paradise or a rivaling utopia, that thinks it is more perfect than other utopias.

#604 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 01 January 2022 - 03:32 PM

So what you're after isn't so much the Utopian era, but more the beginning of the end?
"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#605 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 01 January 2022 - 03:55 PM

Not necessarily, just "more".

An age where the greatest kings still rule, where the wisest Wizards still are expanding the knowledge of the universe, where the gods live in peace and unity, where beautiful cities of marble and glass still stand upon the highest hill, when the best iron forgers could still create super weapons, etc.

Basically it could be modern/urban fantasy just with the magic and fairy tales never having been suppressed or disappeared.

This post has been edited by Aptorian: 01 January 2022 - 03:59 PM

#606 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 01 January 2022 - 09:31 PM

Godsdoom by Perumov is happening in the golden age. But there's only that one book that's been translated into English from Russian. The rest of the series may never make it, which is a shame because it's like Crank the movie with magic.
I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

#607 User is offline   Puck 

• Mausetöter

Posted 01 January 2022 - 10:16 PM

View PostAptorian, on 01 January 2022 - 03:55 PM, said:

Not necessarily, just "more".

An age where the greatest kings still rule, where the wisest Wizards still are expanding the knowledge of the universe, where the gods live in peace and unity, where beautiful cities of marble and glass still stand upon the highest hill, when the best iron forgers could still create super weapons, etc.

Basically it could be modern/urban fantasy just with the magic and fairy tales never having been suppressed or disappeared.

Not quite what you're asking for, maybe, since it's sci-fi, but the Terra Ignota quartet by Ada Palmer does tick many of the boxes. Starts out in the best age humanity has ever existed in, with the wisest governments and political leaders, no poverty, abundance of everything, supposedly ideal social structures, no war anywhere for I forget how many centuries, highly advanced science bordering on magic, yadda yadda. It's glorious utopia, and no, I'm not being sarcastic. Predictably, it all goes to shit in its own special way, but I'll leave you to find out how if you want to.
Puck was not birthed, she was cleaved from a lava flow and shaped by a fierce god's hands. - [worry]
Ninja Puck, Ninja Puck, really doesn't give a fuck..? - [King Lear]

#608 User is offline   Cyphon 

• Cagey Bastard of TQB
  • Group: Team Quick Ben

Posted 01 January 2022 - 11:11 PM

I have the first of those books, and you've moved it right up the to read pile with that description Puck!
Para todos todo, para nosotros nada.

MottI'd always pegged you as more of an Ublala

#609 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 04 January 2022 - 04:15 AM

View PostAptorian, on 01 January 2022 - 12:16 PM, said:

Is there any fantasy out there that takes place in a golden age of magic and technology?

It seems like all the fantasy books I read are always placed in a setting after the great empire collapsed, magic was outlawed and the gods died. Or something to that effect.

Are there any authors writing the equivalent of hard fantasy or Utopian fiction, where there's an abundance of magic power, golden gods and an endless surplus?

NK Jemisin's INHERITANCE TRILOGY.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#610 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 25 January 2022 - 04:09 AM

View PostAbyss, on 04 January 2022 - 04:15 AM, said:

View PostAptorian, on 01 January 2022 - 12:16 PM, said:

NK Jemisin's INHERITANCE TRILOGY.

Just remembered another one... technically it's closer to sf than fantasy, but very deliberately exists where the distinction is meaningless... i can't explain that without major spoilers but it's absolutely a thing and it's also at times brilliant... Julian May's SAGA OF THE PLIOCENE EXILE. 4 books, medium length, worth a look. In the future the world is perfect, but people who don't love the perfection are given the option of voluntary exile back in time a few million years, but what was supposed to be a rougher, less sophisticated paradise has become someone else's idea of perfection.

It's followed by another (also very good) five books if you love it but those are separate, PLIOCENE is absolutely self-contained.

#611 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 25 January 2022 - 05:22 AM

Added to the wishlist.

#612 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 25 January 2022 - 08:54 AM

View PostAbyss, on 25 January 2022 - 04:09 AM, said:

Just remembered another one... technically it's closer to sf than fantasy, but very deliberately exists where the distinction is meaningless... i can't explain that without major spoilers but it's absolutely a thing and it's also at times brilliant... Julian May's SAGA OF THE PLIOCENE EXILE. 4 books, medium length, worth a look. In the future the world is perfect, but people who don't love the perfection are given the option of voluntary exile back in time a few million years, but what was supposed to be a rougher, less sophisticated paradise has become someone else's idea of perfection.

It's followed by another (also very good) five books if you love it but those are separate, PLIOCENE is absolutely self-contained.

Utterly brilliant series. I recall getting the 4th one - The Adversary - as a present from some relative back in the 80s.
Well, I read it and enjoyed it but had NFI what was going on. So luckily enough I was able to read from book 1 thanks to the local library getting them in for me.
Years later I bought books 1-3, then the novel Intervention came out and I bought and enjoyed that, followed by the 3 Galactic Milieu books. Which I guess you could say finally brought the entire story full circle.
I'm sure by today's standards some would call it a bit dated but I think the basics of plot, prose and characterisation hold up just fine.
One of my most loved series in my library.

Nine telepathic aliens out of ten, heartily recommended.

She also wrote the Rampart Worlds trilogy much later. More stripped back and I'd say closer to YA in tone, but still good fun.

Attached File(s)

This post has been edited by Tsundoku: 25 January 2022 - 09:16 AM

#613 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 25 January 2022 - 01:09 PM

I have often heard about this and wondered if it was worthwhile. I'll check out the first book next time I come across it .

EDIT: and of course the PAN copies you have are the nicest covers so now I need to hunt those down...

This post has been edited by QuickTidal: 25 January 2022 - 01:14 PM

"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#614 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 25 January 2022 - 02:42 PM

They have aged just fine.
After Malazan and possibly the Belgariad, my most reread series.

#615 User is offline   Whisperzzzzzzz 

• Reaper's Fail

Posted 25 January 2022 - 03:52 PM

I've never heard of these! Added to the list.

#616 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 25 January 2022 - 03:52 PM

View PostAbyss, on 25 January 2022 - 02:42 PM, said:

They have aged just fine.
After Malazan and possibly the Belgariad, my most reread series.

This is HIGH fucking praise to me Abyss.

I shall definitely be adding this series to the TRP.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#617 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon

Posted 25 January 2022 - 04:17 PM

In case anyone is wondering, the Julian May books are just called The Saga of the Exiles in the UK
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#618 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 25 January 2022 - 08:01 PM

I cannot pretend i do not have a certain level of nostalgia for the series - i first read it when i was too young to really understand it but grasped enough that it set the stage for much reading that followed - but it's merited. Later reads only reinforced how much i love the series. It's really just a question of time before i get them in earbook.

That in media res thing that SE does that we love... May did that and it's fairly mindblowing that so much of the background to EXILES is only told in books that came later and are very very different in almost every respect. Ambiguous characters, alliances and loyalties that shift yet somehow it all makes sense... May did that. Powerhouse characters who are also absurdly vulnerable on some level... she does that. Humour, check. Action, check. It won't work for everyone but i'd be surprised if most Malazfans don't at least enjoy it enough to finish the four books.

#619 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 25 January 2022 - 08:08 PM

View PostTsundoku, on 25 January 2022 - 08:54 AM, said:

... I recall getting the 4th one - The Adversary - as a present from some relative back in the 80s.
Well, I read it and enjoyed it but had NFI what was going on. ...

You read bk 4... first... ok wow ... that's like starting Malazan with DUST OF DREAMS.

#620 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 25 January 2022 - 09:46 PM

View PostAbyss, on 25 January 2022 - 08:08 PM, said:

View PostTsundoku, on 25 January 2022 - 08:54 AM, said:

... I recall getting the 4th one - The Adversary - as a present from some relative back in the 80s.
Well, I read it and enjoyed it but had NFI what was going on. ...

You read bk 4... first... ok wow ... that's like starting Malazan with DUST OF DREAMS.

Yeah pretty much. The relative knew I was into SFF so they bought me a book that looked like it was SFF ... :rolleyes:
But I'm quite grateful to them. It showed you could make more complicated concepts readable and entertaining.
Remember back in the 80s SFF was pretty much Asimov, Heinlein and Clarke. Especially in regional Australia (western NSW).
OK, ok we also had some stuff from CJ Cherryh, Andre Norton, Frank Herbert, but I'm really struggling to come up with others. David Brin, Greg Benford, Greg Bear et al were starting to emerge in the later half of the 80s as a sort of newer wave.
While there's some full-on stuff going on in some of their books, Exiles was ... different. Can't exactly explain why.
All I know is after reading the full series, when Intervention came out in 88(?) it was a complete surprise to me and I just went "Yoink!". :D

My only caveat is that it IS a product of the 80s so it's a little bit pulpy at times and there's zero modern sensitivities. Don't expect some sort of modern deep philosophical brooding, self-castigation or politics. And Marc Remillard is one of my all-time favourite characters.

Man, how did we find anything out before the internet? 20 year old encyclopaedias and actual mailing lists.

This post has been edited by Tsundoku: 25 January 2022 - 10:33 PM

Share this topic:

• 34 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users