Malazan Empire: Has anybody read... - Malazan Empire

• 34 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Has anybody read... ...and what did you think?

#1 User is offline   Salt-Man Z 

• My pen halts, though I do not
  • View gallery
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 05 April 2012 - 12:47 AM

(I don't think there's been a dedicated thread for this kind of thing. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong. A quick look using the (mostly) useless forum search didn't show anything, nor did a Google search of the site, plus, this forum is pretty much my main haunt 'round these here parts, and I didn't recall one. Anyway...)

The purpose of this thread is to ask fellow forumites' opinions on books that have caught your attention in some fashion or another, but aren't sure whether to commit to reading/purchasing/whatever.

I'll go first.
"Here is light. You will say that it is not a living entity, but you miss the point that it is more, not less. Without occupying space, it fills the universe. It nourishes everything, yet itself feeds upon destruction. We claim to control it, but does it not perhaps cultivate us as a source of food? May it not be that all wood grows so that it can be set ablaze, and that men and women are born to kindle fires?"
―Gene Wolfe, The Citadel of the Autarch

#2 User is offline   Salt-Man Z 

• View gallery

Posted 05 April 2012 - 12:47 AM

Has anyone here read the Canopus in Argos: Archives books by Doris Lessing?
(Consisting of: Shikasta, The Marriages Between Zones Three, Four, and Five, The Sirian Experiments, The Making of the Representative for Planet 8, and The Sentimental Agents in the Volyen Empire. Those are the abbreviated titles.)

I came across the omnibus edition at Half Price Books today, and was immediately intrigued. It appears to be a future history told in the manner of textbooks, interviews, etc.

Has anyone here read these? Would you recommend them?
"Here is light. You will say that it is not a living entity, but you miss the point that it is more, not less. Without occupying space, it fills the universe. It nourishes everything, yet itself feeds upon destruction. We claim to control it, but does it not perhaps cultivate us as a source of food? May it not be that all wood grows so that it can be set ablaze, and that men and women are born to kindle fires?"

#3 User is offline   Spooner 

• Recruit

Posted 06 April 2012 - 07:00 AM

View PostSalt-Man Z, on 05 April 2012 - 12:47 AM, said:

Has anyone here read the Canopus in Argos: Archives books by Doris Lessing?
(Consisting of: Shikasta, The Marriages Between Zones Three, Four, and Five, The Sirian Experiments, The Making of the Representative for Planet 8, and The Sentimental Agents in the Volyen Empire. Those are the abbreviated titles.)

I came across the omnibus edition at Half Price Books today, and was immediately intrigued. It appears to be a future history told in the manner of textbooks, interviews, etc.

Has anyone here read these? Would you recommend them?

I've heard great things about this series but haven't gotten around to them yet. Made a go for Shikasta when I was in my early teens but the only copy I found was in Swedish and the translation made it very hard going for some reason. Will try again soonish.

#4 User is offline   McLovin 

• Cutlery Enthusiast
  • Interests:Knives. Stabbing. Stabbing with knives.

Posted 06 April 2012 - 02:49 PM

I have read. To me it's an amazing experience.
OK, I think I got it, but just in case, can you say the whole thing over again? I wasn't really listening.

#5 User is offline   Kruppe's snacky cakes 

• First Sword

Posted 21 June 2012 - 07:37 PM

After starting Malazan and learning it was originally inspired by RPG, I became interested in checking out similarly inspired works.

I read a Forgotten Realms novel and didn't care for it.

I checked out Dragonlance. I'm finding it enjoyable but a bit too formulaic (i.e. Fellowship moves from point A to point B, meets character C, event D happens, rinse and repeat).

Then I bought a Magic The Gathering novel (Artifacts Cycle I omnibus) and was completely blown away, starting from page one. Has anyone else read these? Does the awesomeness continue, or am I being sucked in only to be disappointed later? Are the other books any good?

Artifacts Cycle II
Agents of Artifice
Alara Unbroken
The Purifying Fire

I believe there are some out of print titles, as well...
I'm George. George McFly. I'm your density. I mean...your destiny.

#6 User is offline   Salt-Man Z 

• View gallery

Posted 21 June 2012 - 07:51 PM

The only Magic book I've read was Test of Metal, and only because it was written by Matthew Fucking Stover. I quite enjoyed it, almost to the point of wanting to try other books in the series.

This post has been edited by Salt-Man Z: 21 June 2012 - 07:51 PM

#7 User is offline   Kruppe's snacky cakes 

• First Sword

Posted 22 June 2012 - 04:44 PM

Okay, awesome! Thanks for linking to that. The two books you mentioned in your review are still in print, so that's good to know. I had to snatch up Artifacts Cycle II from B&N yesterday, because I noticed it was no longer available new on Amazon...which often means it will not be available new from anywhere much longer...

#8 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 22 June 2012 - 05:10 PM

View PostKruppe, on 21 June 2012 - 07:37 PM, said:

I checked out Dragonlance. I'm finding it enjoyable but a bit too formulaic (i.e. Fellowship moves from point A to point B, meets character C, event D happens, rinse and repeat).

It's the second series LEGENDS where things get good for DRAGONLANCE, and then it's the side running books about periphery characters that really shine...

but I am still of the mind that no book in the main Dragonlance series will EVER top the glorious DRAGONS OF THE WINTER NIGHT....which I still ADORE.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#9 User is offline   polishgenius 

• Heart of Courage
  • Group: LHTEC

Posted 22 June 2012 - 05:25 PM

After starting Malazan and learning it was originally inspired by RPG, I became interested in checking out similarly inspired works.

Have you read Magician and the rest of the Riftwar Cycle, by Feist? Same deal.

You could also check out the webcomics The Order of The Stick and Goblins: Life Through Their Eyes. I don't think either are inspired by any specific campaign or group on the part of the authors but undoubtedly draw on their D&D experiences. And both are excellent (though Goblins can get a little frustrating when you're all caught up, because not only does it update fairly slowly - the schedule is twice a week but it doesn't always meet that- but the story often progresses sloooooooooooooooooooowly).

ETA: I realise upon closer inspection that I didn't really answer the question. I can't really help there since I've not read any Magic: The Gathring for about fifteen years, and that was one book.

This post has been edited by polishgenius: 22 June 2012 - 05:29 PM

I can't carry it for you, but I can carry you.

#10 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 22 June 2012 - 05:37 PM

Some of the WARHAMMER 40k books get rave comments.
I haven't read any yet but three are sitting in the TRP based on reco's made elsethread.

If you want serious Olde Skool fantaty rpg-based books, you might get a kick out of the Gord of Greyhawk series by Dungeons & Dragons legend Gary Gygax. It's pure 'orphan thief gains experience, levels up, goes adventuring, gets magic toys, has random encounters' stuff and i can only give the writing 'acceptable', but it's still good fun in a retro stabby swords and sorcerous spells kind of way before Gygax whipped the 'write my ADND campaign into a story' thing to death and then undeath and redeath.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#11 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 22 June 2012 - 07:10 PM

I read a Forgotten Realms novel and didn't care for it.

Then I bought a Magic The Gathering novel (Artifacts Cycle I omnibus) and was completely blown away, starting from page one. Has anyone else read these? Does the awesomeness continue, or am I being sucked in only to be disappointed later? Are the other books any good?

Artifacts Cycle II
Agents of Artifice
Alara Unbroken
The Purifying Fire

I believe there are some out of print titles, as well...

Have read many Magic books.

The best ones I've read are the Kamahl/Chainer books (the Odyssey cycle - Odyssey, Chainer's Torment, Judgement). These are excellent books on every level. Things get complicated, but remain comprehensible and the main characters are very vivid and make realistic moves (well, for Magic characters).

The Urza's Saga books are a decent epic which involves a very large mad scientist/brother's rivalry/doomed romance/time traveling/sorcery/group of heroes uniting against a powerful evil plotline.

The Scott McGough books regarding Tetsuo Umezawa are decent too. That's more of a direct hero vs. villains in a world full of monsters and ridiculously overpowered magic stuff vibe though.
I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

#12 User is offline   Kruppe's snacky cakes 

• First Sword

Posted 23 June 2012 - 06:27 PM

Too many books, too little time.

Time travel nerd that I am, I'll probably check out Dragonlance Legends once I'm finished with the current 1,000 page tome.

I tried to read the first Riftwar book recently...but only because the more recent Demonwar and Darkwar stuff caught my eye and I wanted to start at the very beginning. Unfortunately, it didn't do anything for me. Can I still enjoy the later sagas if I skip Riftwar?

The Greyhawk cover art looks SO familiar... I don't remember reading it, but I'm wondering if one of my friends had it way back when. I spent 12 years of my life only a few miles away from multiple Half Price Books locations. Suddenly, I become interested in retro out-of-print fantasy now that I'm 2 hours away from the nearest used bookstore. That really sucks.

Attached File  510uTJAbTML._SL500_AA300_.jpg (23.66K)
Number of downloads: 2

It sounds like Urza's Saga may be what I'm reading now in the Artifacts Cycle. Only it's called The Brothers' War in this collection.

Anyway, thanks for all the suggestions.

#13 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 28 June 2012 - 01:12 AM

Hmm.
Most people think that the riftwar trilogy is feists strongest work.
If you've finished both parts of Magician, I'd recommend reading the other two (Silverthorn and a Darkness at Sethanon) as they're more compact than magicians sprawl and, imo, are good reads, and Jimmy the Hand is awesome.
If you've read magician and don't feel drawn to any of the big hitters I wouldn't worry overly, the focus shifts slightly off pug and Tomas (although they are still important characters)
If the kelewan sections of magician interested you at all then the second you finish it I THOROUGHLY recommend picking up the Empire trilogy (starts with daughter of the empire) a co-authored series by Janny Wurts and Feist, its one of my favourite series ever, just brilliant political intrigue, familial honour and tragedies and some great action sequences as well. Also, because you'll have the back story for it, definitely read the novella Honoured Enemy, joint author again, feist and forscten, short but a real can't put down story about a unit lost on patrol in the north during the riftwar.
Ah, back on topic, you can read the serpent war on its own but I feel skippinthe roftwar trilogy would strip some othe story for you. To enjoy the serpent war I'd suggest you read at least the three riftwar books. Also when reading the serpent war saga, read the first three and stop.
Do not read anything midkemia after Rage of a Demon King. i mean it.

In short, I recommend finishing the riftwar trilogy, so you can fully enjoy the serpent war trilogy.
Also really can't recommend the empire trilogy enough, but definitely finish magician first.
If you read magician and the empire books you simply Have to read Honoured Enemy.

Regarding feists other works. None are essential reading, anyhting chronologically after Rage of a Demon King is definitely skippable, pre rage there's a few dodgy books as well, notably Tear of the Gods, Murder in Lamut and Jimmy The Hamd. 3 novellas that Imo are not worth the effort.
prince othe blood and the kings bucaneer get bar press as well but i think they're readable, just don't go out and buy them.

Hope this helps and or makes some sense

#14 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits

Posted 28 June 2012 - 01:14 AM

Oops, reread your post, you mentioned wanting to read his demon war and dark war stuff.
Don't

But if you do, magician, at least, is a necessary perquisite

#15 User is offline   Kruppe's snacky cakes 

• First Sword

Posted 29 June 2012 - 06:18 PM

Yes, I meant my question to be more along the lines of, "If I didn't enjoy Magician, might I still enjoy and understand the later sagas?" I'm interpreting your answer as a no on that.

While we're back on the subject, has anybody read any Rowena Cory Daniells? Some of her newer stuff (The Outcast Chronicles) is just now coming out in the U.S. They're all coming out in quick succession, so presumably they've been out for a while in Australia and possibly other places. She has another series (King Rolen's Kin) that's been out for a couple of years in the U.S., but has mixed reviews.

#16 User is offline   Gnaw 

• Recovering eating disordered addict of HHM
  • View gallery

Posted 29 June 2012 - 11:42 PM

View PostKruppe, on 29 June 2012 - 06:18 PM, said:

Yes, I meant my question to be more along the lines of, "If I didn't enjoy Magician, might I still enjoy and understand the later sagas?" I'm interpreting your answer as a no on that.

As Macros said above, the Empire trilogy is very well written. It's been a long time since I read it but I think it's possible to read it without reading the Riftwar series. Feist and Wurts made a good team imho. But don't waste your time on anything else by Feist if you didn't like Magician. Or even if you did. He jumps the shark pretty spectacularly. On the other hand, he keeps getting published so somebody is buying.
"Between stimulus and response there is a space. In that space is our power to choose our response. In our response lies our growth and our freedom." - Viktor Frankl

#17 User is offline   yuna_anomander25 

• sapper elite red coat
  • Interests:Malazan Book of the Fallen,
    Dresden Files,
    The Hunger Games
    Anime,

Posted 01 July 2012 - 06:50 AM

Prince of Thorns (The Broken Empire#1) by Mark Lawrence
is this a good series/book? has anyone here already read this? i can't seem to find anyone who has put this to their list of good series to read/recommend
i saw this the other day, the cover art looks like the one in the Night Angel trilogy that i thought at first it was part of it, but i saw it was by another author,
good to know from you fellow forumites what you think about this one, thanks,

This post has been edited by yuna_anomander25: 01 July 2012 - 06:54 AM

It's not who I am underneath.. but what i do that defines me - Batman, Batman Begins; 'Without our deaths, sir, there would be no crime. Thus, no punishment to match,' 'Mortal Sword - '
'We are done, my friend. Now, in this manner, we choose the meaning of our deaths' - Mortal Sword Brukhalian to Veteran Nilbanas, siege of Capustan
'Ippen shinde miru (want to try dying this once) ?' - Jigoku Shoujo (Hell Girl)

#18 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 01 July 2012 - 08:07 AM

I think people generally like it here, with a few dissenters, but nobody puts it on their lists because it's only the first book in a series? Not that that ever stopped people with Patrick Rothfuss.
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#19 User is offline   polishgenius 

• Heart of Courage
  • Group: LHTEC

Posted 01 July 2012 - 08:27 AM

View Postworrywort, on 01 July 2012 - 08:07 AM, said:

I think people generally like it here, with a few dissenters, but nobody puts it on their lists because it's only the first book in a series? Not that that ever stopped people with Patrick Rothfuss.

Ha. I guess that's because Name of the Wind is huge and generated a lot of discussion from just the one book, whereas while there was some talk about a few details of Prince of Thorns it mostly got attention for how fucked up it is.

It's definitely worth reading, though. I'm eagerly anticipating King of Thorns, though my current monetary situation means that I likely won't be reading it (or any of the other new releases I want) till October at the earliest. :)
I can't carry it for you, but I can carry you.

#20 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits

Posted 01 July 2012 - 11:45 AM

View PostGnaw, on 29 June 2012 - 11:42 PM, said:

View PostKruppe, on 29 June 2012 - 06:18 PM, said:

As Macros said above, the Empire trilogy is very well written. It's been a long time since I read it but I think it's possible to read it without reading the Riftwar series. Feist and Wurts made a good team imho. But don't waste your time on anything else by Feist if you didn't like Magician. Or even if you did. He jumps the shark pretty spectacularly. On the other hand, he keeps getting published so somebody is buying.

yeah, this.

if you finished Magician you have more than enough for Empire, a totally different style of novels and, imo, very much worth reading even if you disliked Magician. And another shout for Honoured Enemy, a must read if you do read the Empire Trilogy.

Also interested in the Broken Empire books, by fucked up what exactly do you mean?

Share this topic:

• 34 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users