• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

The USA Politics Thread

#5601 User is online   worry 

• Master of the Deck
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 12 August 2017 - 08:50 PM

For the record, direct from a WH spokesperson:
“The President was condemning hatred, bigotry and violence from all sources and all sides. There was violence between protesters and counter protesters today.”
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#5602 User is offline   HoosierDaddy 

• Believer
  • Interests:Football

Posted 12 August 2017 - 08:58 PM

E.g.: If you run over LGBT protesters you are just, you know, they were guilty of protesting. So that's fine.
Trouble arrives when the opponents to such a system institute its extreme opposite, where individualism becomes godlike and sacrosanct, and no greater service to any other ideal (including community) is possible. In such a system rapacious greed thrives behind the guise of freedom, and the worst aspects of human nature come to the fore....

#5603 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 12 August 2017 - 09:02 PM

The video of the car hitting the anti-racist protesters is horrific. 1 dead and 9 injured last i read.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#5604 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon

Posted 12 August 2017 - 11:11 PM

View Postworry, on 12 August 2017 - 08:50 PM, said:

For the record, direct from a WH spokesperson:
“The President was condemning hatred, bigotry and violence from all sources and all sides. There was violence between protesters and counter protesters today.”

Nazis on Twitter have taken that to mean he condemns Antifa and BALM and actually doesn't condemn them. Astonishing.
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#5605 User is online   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 12 August 2017 - 11:24 PM

They're right.

#5606 User is online   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 13 August 2017 - 05:25 AM

GoFundMe for the counter-protestor murdered by that Nazi, if anyone's interested: https://www.gofundme...er-heatherheyer

#5607 User is offline   Cause 

• Elder God

Posted 13 August 2017 - 12:59 PM

I saw a petition going around asking for Twitter to ban Trump. Is against the terms of service to threaten murder or to speak of mass murder etc and he keeps using Twitter to threaten nuclear war. Truth is I think there is a difference but I find it amusing.

#5608 User is offline   Silencer 

• Manipulating Special Data
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Malazan Book of the Fallen series.
    Computer Game Design.
    Programming.

Posted 13 August 2017 - 01:13 PM

View PostCause, on 13 August 2017 - 12:59 PM, said:

I saw a petition going around asking for Twitter to ban Trump. Is against the terms of service to threaten murder or to speak of mass murder etc and he keeps using Twitter to threaten nuclear war. Truth is I think there is a difference but I find it amusing.

I actually can't see any reason anyone would want him off Twitter at this stage. Sure, internationally he is likely doing a small amount of damage through his self-undermining tweets and I imagine the best argument to be made for removing him is to try and alleviate the idea that the President of the United States encourages or enables the kind of bullshit we've seen in the past 24 hours, but I mostly feel that ship has sailed and we're better off having him on Twitter as much as possible - it reminds everyone that he's an idiot and unfit to run the country, as well as providing never-ending additional sources for his bigotry to be made clear to all.
Additionally, if he's using Twitter he's not pushing other buttons or making proper use of the administration, so overall it likely reduces the amount of damage he can do.

Six months ago? Sure. Then we'd have been able to make a case that it prevents him from legitimizing his bigotry. But now, too late, it's mainstream again, so let him tweet.

Shinrei said:

<Vote Silencer> For not garnering any heat or any love for that matter. And I'm being serious here, it's like a mental block that is there, and you just keep forgetting it.

#5609 User is offline   King Lear 

• Une belle quelquesomething sans merci
  • Group: Mott Irregulars

Posted 14 August 2017 - 01:28 AM

@https://twitter.com/sfmnemonic/status/896884949634232320

Attached File  godwinslaw.PNG (22.12K)
Number of downloads: 0

Hopefully that preempts a couple of arguments somewhere.

This post has been edited by King Lear: 14 August 2017 - 01:31 AM

*Men's Frights Activist*

#5610 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 14 August 2017 - 03:43 AM

They're not Nazis. We don't have to reach across an ocean to a European sociopolitical phenomenon to get apt fascist white supremacist terminology to describe these Confederates.
I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

#5611 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 14 August 2017 - 04:01 AM

To be clear, some adopt and use Nazi imagery and philosophy. However, many don't. The Venn diagram of the many white supremacist groups don't all include Nazism.

They're present throughout the country,in the north, the south, the east, and the west. Today I saw a man in New York at Saratoga Race Track wearing a Lynyrd Skynyrd Confederate flag shirt. I regularly see this kind of imagery in what is supposedly a fairly liberal state - probably about once a week in public spaces in the Capital Region.

So that's why I say they're not Nazis. They're a white supremacist problem this country has had since before it was a country. This violence and this type of speech turning into systemic action is a very, very American phenomenon. One brown and black people have collectively been all too aware of.

This post has been edited by amphibian: 14 August 2017 - 04:02 AM

I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

#5612 User is online   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 14 August 2017 - 08:09 AM

You're right: America's white supremacist issues were baked in from the beginning, and in fact inspired Nazis in many ways. That said, I do think Nazi is a fair enough catchall for modern white nationalists, as long as it's not coupled with "#thisisnotus" American denialism.

#5613 User is online   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 14 August 2017 - 08:26 AM

I did some googling, but is a Lynyrd Skynyrd Confederate flag shirt somehow worse than any other Confederate flag shirt?

I note Lynyrd Skynyrd seem to have dumped that sort of stuff semi-recently. See linked story from July 2015:

http://www.rollingst...-merch-20150709
"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"Well well well ... if it ain't The Invisible C**t." - Billy Butcher, The Boys

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#5614 User is offline   Itwęs Nom 

• Inquisitor of High House Mafia
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 14 August 2017 - 11:03 AM

Saw this on twitter

Attached File(s)

All things fall from kings to rose petals

#5615 User is online   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 14 August 2017 - 11:05 PM

Hail Hydra. :p
"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"Well well well ... if it ain't The Invisible C**t." - Billy Butcher, The Boys

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#5616 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 15 August 2017 - 05:50 AM

My god it's been in front of us all along. Donald Trump is the Orange Skull!

#5617 User is offline   HoosierDaddy 

• Believer
  • Interests:Football

Posted 15 August 2017 - 10:06 PM

Couldn't keep his story straight when it wasn't written out for him. Straight back to defending neo-nazi's, KKK, and white supremacists.

Comparing Washington and Jefferson to Robert E. Lee and Stonewall Jackson. Yeah, real similar contexts there.

This post has been edited by HoosierDaddy: 15 August 2017 - 11:02 PM

Trouble arrives when the opponents to such a system institute its extreme opposite, where individualism becomes godlike and sacrosanct, and no greater service to any other ideal (including community) is possible. In such a system rapacious greed thrives behind the guise of freedom, and the worst aspects of human nature come to the fore....

#5618 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 15 August 2017 - 11:16 PM

Damn, Trumpito has really stepped in it now. Man, I was hoping Kelly would have reined this spray tanned nut sack in, but I guess not. To send him out today to speak about "Infrastructure" was the dumbest decision. And damn, when he riffs without a scripted statement, his true nature is revealed. This thing could very well be unraveling.

To quote Samuel L. Jackson from Jurassic Park: "Hold on to your butts".

#5619 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 16 August 2017 - 05:53 AM

I caught a bit of it in Stephen Colbert's monologue. Sounded crazy so I went and found a transcript:

https://www.cnbc.com...conference.html

He's such a terrible speaker. I'm looking at his statements and you can sort of single out some cognizant and noteworthy arguments that he wants to defend, like historical statues having more meaning than just being symbols of racism or the violent nature of groups like Antifa - But then he just drowns his arguments in word garble and narcissism.

I don't know whether to be amazed at how honest he is willing to be or just how at being a lying politician he is.

I imagine he is going to be used in media training courses for decades to come.

#5620 User is offline   Silencer 

• Manipulating Special Data
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Malazan Book of the Fallen series.
    Computer Game Design.
    Programming.

Posted 16 August 2017 - 06:02 AM

View PostSeduce Goose, on 16 August 2017 - 05:53 AM, said:

I caught a bit of it in Stephen Colbert's monologue. Sounded crazy so I went and found a transcript:

https://www.cnbc.com...conference.html

He's such a terrible speaker. I'm looking at his statements and you can sort of single out some cognizant and noteworthy arguments that he wants to defend, like historical statues having more meaning than just being symbols of racism or the violent nature of groups like Antifa - But then he just drowns his arguments in word garble and narcissism.

I don't know whether to be amazed at how honest he is willing to be or just how at being a lying politician he is.

I imagine he is going to be used in media training courses for decades to come.

If by media training courses you mean as some sort of Kobayashi Maru final test thing on how to handle deranged Presidents, then sure! B)

But seriously, what bothers me are the amount of people still publicly defending him - usually by trying to draw parallels to BLM and Antifa and crying about how liberals "never complained about violence then" - despite the fact that said violence was denounced, never mind the fact that it was a whole hell of a lot closer to being justified than this shit - and how anyone can claim that both sides were to blame. I mean, you can argue that both sides had to be present for someone to get hurt but that's kinda like saying indigenous populations are equally to blame for imperialism. Sure, they had to be there to be enslaved, murdered, and conquered but that doesn't equate to blame, in most sane people's books.

Shinrei said:

<Vote Silencer> For not garnering any heat or any love for that matter. And I'm being serious here, it's like a mental block that is there, and you just keep forgetting it.

Share this topic:

• 721 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

60 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 60 guests, 0 anonymous users