• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

The USA Politics Thread

#9181 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 20 July 2019 - 02:57 PM

View PostBfuckinK, on 20 July 2019 - 01:32 PM, said:

Yeah your fucking right about my drive bys and I ll go back in my tv corner from now on like a good little BK.

The Carson one was a joke but it requires memory of how much I hated that guy in 2016 so agreeing with anything he said would have me bashing my brains is a big clue I was joking and wasn’t gonna take it beyond that. So now I will answer, and no it’s not the offensive token black guy defense it was something on homelessness.

And you goddamn right TS I threw the victim card because that shit was out of order on Apts part. I only fucking started the post with praise for a PoC(and probably the only person on Dem side I may vote for!) and like I said above requires memory that I have expressed my interest multiple times for. Don’t come at me with that selective bullshit!

Aaaaaand you still haven't actually explained anything you've just told us you like one PoC. Apt didn't call you racist so get off your dumb high horse and actually engage.
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#9182 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 20 July 2019 - 03:21 PM

Does Jeff Foxworthy still work the stand up comic circuit with the "You might be a redneck if ...." schtick?

He should update his routine to be more topical and current with the times and go with "You might be a racist if ...."

You might be a racist if you voted for Donald Trump
You might be a racist if you think Donald Trump isn't one because Ben Carson works in the Trump administration.

Just spit ballin' some ideas if Jeff is reading this. I want a percentage Jeff if you run with it. SHABLAGOOO!

#9183 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 20 July 2019 - 05:54 PM

View PostTsundoku, on 20 July 2019 - 01:45 PM, said:

...aaaaaaaaand back on topic, how "send her back" sets a bad precedent (or is that "president"? :) ), as in not only a new low in manners, but where would it end?

https://www.theatlan...forever/594307/

An interesting point in there about supporting foreign actions:

"Trump has falsely accused Omar of supporting al-Qaeda, of betraying her country. But when a foreign power attacked American elections, it was the president who first sought to profit from that attack, and then to obstruct the investigation into it, and finally to offer a vocal defense of the perpetrators."

A few hyperlinks to other articles in there too.

Adam Serwer is one of the best writers right now about America, period. Moral clarity and a very accurate view of the stakes, without cynicism or hopelessness, but no false optimism either. That final paragraph is so on point (except I'd say it's not "just" about Omar & the squad anymore -- it's still about them too, just not only them):

Omar must be defended, but not because of her views on Israel, gay rights, or progressive taxation. You needn’t agree with her on any of those things; in fact, you needn’t like her at all. But she must be defended, because the nature of the president’s attack on her is a threat to all Americans—black or white, Jew or Gentile—whose citizenship, whose belonging, might similarly be questioned. This is not about Omar anymore, or the other women of color who have been told by this president to “go back” to their supposed countries of origin. It is about defending the idea that America should be a country for all its people. If multiracial democracy cannot be defended in America, it will not be defended elsewhere. What Americans do now, in the face of this, will define us forever.

Speaking of foreign loyalties, also recall that Saudi Arabia literally murdered and chopped up the body of an American perm resident journalist, and Donald Trump & several other Republicans helped them get away with it. That was less than a year ago, and only a couple months after Saudi Arabia -- who did 9/11 -- threatened Canada with a second 9/11.
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#9184 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 20 July 2019 - 07:53 PM

Yeah ... Oil. We really need to reduce our reliance on that shit. Like NOW.

In other news, any guesses as to what was actually going through his mind when they were telling him their stories?

Donald Trump’s bizarre response to Nobel Peace Prize winner Nadia Murad

https://www.news.com...c6a7ec16310a0ba

Missed THE ENTIRE POINT. Or was just "Sorry - TL;DR".

What a dipshit. :no :)

This post has been edited by Tsundoku: 20 July 2019 - 07:54 PM

"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"Well well well ... if it ain't The Invisible C**t." - Billy Butcher, The Boys

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#9185 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 20 July 2019 - 08:02 PM

The history books written about this man years from now will be unkind, entertaining, depressing but definitely unkind.

Assuming history still exists.

#9186 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

Posted 20 July 2019 - 08:41 PM

View PostAptorian, on 20 July 2019 - 08:02 PM, said:

The history books written about this man years from now will be unkind, entertaining, depressing but definitely unkind.

Assuming history still exists.

Deservedly so.
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#9187 User is offline   Whisperzzzzzzz 

• Reaper's Fail

Posted 20 July 2019 - 09:29 PM

"Squad" was actually appropriated by black culture and evolved from the original Algonquin word "squaw", meaning woman. Whites were just reclaiming it for the Native Americans, who are unable to reclaim it because the whites killed most of them and penned the rest in.

This post has been edited by Whisperzzzzzzz: 20 July 2019 - 10:11 PM

#9188 User is offline   Cause 

• Elder God

Posted 20 July 2019 - 10:03 PM

View PostWhisperzzzzzzz, on 20 July 2019 - 09:29 PM, said:

"Squad" was actually appropriated black culture and evolved from the original Algonquin word "squaw", meaning woman. Whites were just reclaiming it for the Native Americans, who are unable to reclaim it because the whites killed most of them and penned the rest in.

what? Squad is an English word. Its been around forever

#9189 User is offline   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant

Posted 20 July 2019 - 10:08 PM

View PostCause, on 20 July 2019 - 10:03 PM, said:

"Squad" was actually appropriated black culture and evolved from the original Algonquin word "squaw", meaning woman. Whites were just reclaiming it for the Native Americans, who are unable to reclaim it because the whites killed most of them and penned the rest in.

Pretty sure they're joking. Had me going there for a moment though. (It's from the Italian word for square, by way of (the) French.)

#9190 User is offline   Whisperzzzzzzz 

• Reaper's Fail

Posted 20 July 2019 - 10:16 PM

View PostAzath Vitr (D, on 20 July 2019 - 10:08 PM, said:

Pretty sure they're joking. Had me going there for a moment though. (It's from the Italian word for square, by way of (the) French.)

Correct, I was kidding.

Huh, that's interesting! In theory then, a legitimate squad can only have a number of people that creates an equal number of people on each side of a 4-lined, right-angled polygon? You couldn't have a 3-person squad.

#9191 User is online   Gorefest 

• Witness

Posted 21 July 2019 - 05:42 AM

Ooh, that must be why they made Jamal an honourary member of Def Squad then!
Yesterday, upon the stair, I saw a man who wasn't there. He wasn't there again today. Oh, how I wish he'd go away.

#9192 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 21 July 2019 - 08:17 AM

Apparently The Cheetoh's latest remarks just make his fans love him even more:

https://www.theatlan...c-rally/594268/

And an interesting little commentary about what the USA wants to be vs what it actually is, when it comes to leadership and human rights.

https://www.theatlan...-states/594418/

OK, they're both from The Atlantic, but it's not exactly a tabloid.
"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"Well well well ... if it ain't The Invisible C**t." - Billy Butcher, The Boys

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#9193 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

Posted 21 July 2019 - 08:40 AM

Well of course. He is a massive racist so it stands to reason that his fans are massive racists. As Worry said above:

All that said: if you (generic ‘you’ all-inclusive) support Trump in 2020, for any reason, you are hitching your wagon to white nationalism, fascism, and anti-minority of all stripes violence and cleansing. No ifs ands or buts. Nobody wants to hear what’s in your heart of hearts. If you’re willing to form a coalition with that ideology, you share it.

This post has been edited by Tiste Simeon: 21 July 2019 - 08:40 AM

A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#9194 User is offline   Primateus 

• E Pluribus Anus
  • Interests:Stuff, lots of stuff!

Posted 21 July 2019 - 10:19 AM

View PostTiste Simeon, on 21 July 2019 - 08:40 AM, said:

Well of course. He is a massive racist so it stands to reason that his fans are massive racists. As Worry said above:

All that said: if you (generic 'you' all-inclusive) support Trump in 2020, for any reason, you are hitching your wagon to white nationalism, fascism, and anti-minority of all stripes violence and cleansing. No ifs ands or buts. Nobody wants to hear what's in your heart of hearts. If you're willing to form a coalition with that ideology, you share it.

I'm not sure if I'd go as far as to say you share it. You could "just" be a one-issue voter. But you certainly are going along with it, allowing it to happen.

I guess it's a minor quibble, seeing as how the end result would be the same either way.
Screw you all, and have a nice day!

#9195 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 21 July 2019 - 04:53 PM

Here's the thing though. I bet a majority of the ignorant Trump voters/supporters who are obsessed with 'the squad' couldn't name their representative, let alone know where he/she stands on policies that directly affect them. They need to quit watching the president's propaganda arm (Fox & Friends in the morning) and educate themselves.

#9196 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 22 July 2019 - 12:46 AM

Aside from Serwer, one of my other favorite current political writers is Osita Nwanevu. This particular article is a bit on the wonkier side, but if you're interested in what you might call the modern conservative intelligentsia it gives you a good glimpse. Spoiler: post-Trump conservativism is like pre-Trump conservatism without the veil. It boils down to "____ will not replace us" because social conservatism has always been the 'Identity Politics' of white grievance, while economic conservatism tries to ignore that fact as much as possible. So it's interesting to see an economic conservative kind of grapple with this fact in real time:

“I feel like there’s a lot of incoherence in this conference,” Will Wilkinson, the vice-president for research at the Niskanen Center, a center-right think tank, later told me. “I don’t know how many times we’ve heard that this nationalism has nothing to do with white nationalism or race or an exclusive model of national identity. But then there’s still lots of railing about identity politics, and that’s just a kind of denial. That’s one of the things that’s definitive of what makes somebody right of center—just not really processing ideas of structural disadvantage, stuff like that.” He went on, “And I think I used to be like this—the fact that you have no personal racial animus means that you’re puzzled that anyone has accused you of supporting things that have really deeply negative structural consequences for specific groups of people.”

They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#9197 User is offline   Slow Ben 

• Ranger

Posted 22 July 2019 - 04:54 AM

Yes. I 100% believe that.

My representative is John Shimkus.

My state representative is Darren Bailey and my state Senator is Dale Righter.

Their policies align with mine on literally nothing.

This post has been edited by Slow Ben: 22 July 2019 - 04:55 AM

I've always been crazy but its kept me from going insane.

#9198 User is offline   Cause 

• Elder God

Posted 22 July 2019 - 08:20 AM

View PostAzath Vitr (D, on 20 July 2019 - 10:08 PM, said:

I'm confused then because this taylor swift stealing the word squad seems to have been a legitmate complaint that was made.

#9199 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 22 July 2019 - 08:29 AM

No complaint made on the internet is legitimate.

#9200 User is online   Gorefest 

• Witness

Posted 22 July 2019 - 11:50 AM

View PostCause, on 22 July 2019 - 08:20 AM, said:

I'm confused then because this taylor swift stealing the word squad seems to have been a legitmate complaint that was made.

I think the 'complaint' was that a lot of teeny pop media outlets portray it as if it was Taylor Swift etc who introduced the term into modern pop culture to mean a fashionable or hip group of people, even though a number of hip hop and rap outfits have been using the term for decades already. So it isn't about who invented the term, but the observation that certain pop journalists are making it out is if this is a new original concept when really it has been around in the music scene for decades. Just not the music scene that they would normally report on.

Not really something to lose sleep over in the larger scheme of things.

This post has been edited by Gorefest: 22 July 2019 - 11:53 AM

Yesterday, upon the stair, I saw a man who wasn't there. He wasn't there again today. Oh, how I wish he'd go away.

Share this topic:

• 706 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

12 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 12 guests, 0 anonymous users