The USA Politics Thread

#9141 User is offline   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 16 July 2019 - 10:11 PM

View PostCause, on 16 July 2019 - 09:17 AM, said:

View PostAzath Vitr (D, on 15 July 2019 - 11:06 PM, said:

View Postworry, on 14 July 2019 - 08:29 PM, said:

Everyone's probably heard about it already, but it's worth noting here (for posterity at least) that President Donald Trump went full out "Go back to Africa" this morning on Twitter, to four sitting congress members. Is it worth noting that three of them were born in the US and the one who was born abroad came to the US as a child refugee? Like even if they were all born in Africa or other "shithole countries," it would still be racist. But in this case there's also the brazen domestic white nationalism of it all, the emphasis on who is really American, who the country really belongs to, no matter what we pretend about 'citizenship' when it's convenient.

Yes, but AOC and Tlaib are the children of immigrants, and his use of 'they' was ambiguous. Blaring dog whistle? Certainly. But as with so many of Trump's statements he maintains a garishly thin veneer of 'plausible deniability.'

[Edit: I was wrong, AOC's mother is from Puerto Rico, which is part of the US o A. So not really an immigrant. However, probably still close enough for that 'plausible deniability'---which stopped being plausible from Trump a long time ago.]

There is no veneer as I am aware. He said They, but to my knowledge their is excactly one congresswomen who was not born in the USA (The one from Somalia, who moved to the US at 7 years old I believe I read). In any event he is still saying that black people, except maybe the descendants of the slaves, are not true citizens whatever the law might say. You cant be eligible to be a congresswomen if your not a citizen. He is saying their citizenship is not good enough for him. Put this is the contecxt of trump saying that Brack Obama was too black to be American and demanding his birth certificate and the pattern is clear. As if the CIA and FBI and whoever else checks security clearances etc wouldn't know where the president of the united states was born.

He is unworthy

Wonder if he'll feel obliged now to tell Mayor Pete to go back to Malta. (And Bernie Sanders to go back to Germany?... actually his father and Chuck Schumer's family were from 'Galicia' in Poland/Ukraine.)

If Kamala Harris wins the nomination he's almost certainly going to tell her to go back to Jamaica and/or India....

Of course Trump's own mother was an immigrant: 'Mary Anne MacLeod was born in a pebbledash croft house owned by her father since 1895 in Tong on the Isle of Lewis. Local historians and genealogists have described properties in this community at the time as "indescribably filthy" and characterized by "human wretchedness".[5][6] The outbreak of World War I weakened its economy and male population.[2]

Raised in a Scottish Gaelic-speaking household, Mary was the youngest of ten children born to Malcolm (1866–1954) and Mary MacLeod (née Smith; 1867–1963).[7] Her father was a crofter, fisherman and compulsory officer at Mary's school.[2][3][8][9] English was her second language, which she learned at the school she attended until secondary school. [...] The alien passenger list of the [ship] Transylvania lists her occupation as a domestic worker [nanny for Dracula's rats?].'

'she "started life in America as a dirt-poor servant escaping the even worse poverty of her native land. [...] Though the 1940 census form filed by Mary Anne and her husband Fred Trump stated that she was a naturalized citizen, she did not actually become one until March 10, 1942. '

(Wikipedia)

I was surprised to learn that Trump's mother lied about her citizenship status on the census. Source:

https://www.thenatio...tial-candidate/

Also:

https://www.snopes.c...ther-immigrant/

By lying on the census, she committed a federal crime that possibly could have invalidated her citizenship application. Perhaps she should have been deported.

This post has been edited by Azath Vitr (D'ivers: 17 July 2019 - 12:25 AM

#9142 User is offline   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant

Posted 17 July 2019 - 02:20 AM

View PostBfuckinK, on 17 July 2019 - 02:17 AM, said:

Oh shit... 3rd pick.

I know y'all dont want to hear that

You mean Justice Stevens? He had already retired. So no.

https://www.youtube....h?v=QinUdniUXIk

This post has been edited by Azath Vitr (D'ivers: 17 July 2019 - 02:23 AM

#9143 User is offline   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant

Posted 17 July 2019 - 05:20 AM

Trump rants at a press conference, lying about Omar being pro-Al Qaeda:

'Responding to press questions about his tweets on July 14 telling four progressive Democratic congresswomen known as "the squad" to "go back and help fix the totally broken and crime infested [countries] from which they came," Trump doubled down, claiming the women "hate our country" and that "if they're not happy here, they can leave." Trump said that Omar has talked about "how great" and "how wonderful al Qaeda is." He claimed that Omar had said, "'When I think of al Qaeda, I can hold my chest out.'" There's no evidence Omar has said any of those things. A tweet sent by Trump later in the day referred to Omar as "pro Al-Qaeda."
The White House press office did not provide any evidence to back up the president's claim. But Trump appears to be referring, wrongly, to comments Omar made in October 2013 during a local PBS show in the Twin Cities of Minnesota.

[interview transcript]

Tharwat: It's very interesting that we keep the Arabic name to such a violent or negative entity. Al Qaeda. Al-Shabab. Hezbollah. Have you ever thought about …

Omar: These things don't really mean. … They don't mean anything evil, right?

Tharwat: Hezbollah: part of God; Al-Shabab: the youth. The madrasa. … Nobody in the Arab world wants to go to the madrasa anymore. 'Cause it means school. … They are polluting our language, our daily casual language.

Omar: But that is, I think, a product of the sensationalized media. You have these sound bites, and you have these words, and everybody says it with such an intensity. And so it must mean, it must hold a bigger meaning. … I remember when I was in college I took a terrorism class. …

Tharwat: There was a lab for that? … You go on a field trip?

Omar: No, we learned the ideology of …

And so, the thing that was interesting in the class was every time the professor said "al Qaeda," he sort of, like, his shoulders went up.

Tharwat: He's in command here.

Omar: Al Qaeda. You know, Hezbollah [smiling, raising her shoulders].

Tharwat: He's an expert. …

Omar: But it is that. You don't say "America" with an intensity. You don't say "England" with an intensity [each time raising her shoulders and gesturing with her hands]. You don't say, "the Army" with an intensity. But you say these names because you want that word to carry weight. You want it to leave something with the person that's hearing that.

Tharwat: It has a cultural meaning. Not just …

Omar: Exactly. So it's said with a deeper voice. So yes, a lot of it is diluted, I think. When you hear a lot of people speaking in Arabic, suspicion arises. People start to pay attention and think, "What must be they are talking about?"'

Conveniently, the part of the video where she acts out her professor raising his shoulders (and smiles) while saying the names of terrorist groups can easily be played out of context....

https://www.factchec...rep-ilhan-omar/

Here's the video of her:

https://www.youtube....h?v=tkIgHFXvGSw

This post has been edited by Azath Vitr (D'ivers: 17 July 2019 - 05:35 AM

#9144 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 17 July 2019 - 02:59 PM

#9145 User is offline   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant

Posted 17 July 2019 - 03:15 PM

'a new poll released Wednesday shows support for the president among the GOP actually rose just after his attacks on the four congresswomen of color known as "The Squad." [...] Trump’s net approval among Republicans climbed by 5 percent from the previous week, up to 72 percent.
[...]
Overall, the Reuters/Ipsos poll found Trump’s approval rating held steady at 41 percent. That’s a pretty average result for Trump [...]
A different survey this week from YouGov actually polled voters on their response to Trump telling the congresswomen to go back to where they came from. [...] Forty-eight percent of Republicans said it was "great," while just 8 percent said the tweet was "bad" and 5 percent said it was "terrible."'

https://news.vice.co...0_B-Pzk85SnKzLQ

#9146 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 17 July 2019 - 07:19 PM

When you're fiscally conservative.

They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#9147 User is offline   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant

Posted 18 July 2019 - 01:06 AM

Trump's new campaign rally chant:

https://www.youtube....h?v=3gTM2WSkD4M

#9148 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 18 July 2019 - 04:38 AM

Could you give us any kind of context, BK, or should we just assume that you agree with Carson's defense of Trump?

Is Trump just a swell guy who does good things and "doesn't have a racist bone in his body"?

#9149 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 18 July 2019 - 05:13 AM

Without context I'm gonna have to assume he meant Carson's belief that the pyramids were built chiefly to store grain, like pointy silos. I too agree with this.
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#9150 User is offline   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant

Posted 18 July 2019 - 05:28 AM

View Postworry, on 18 July 2019 - 05:13 AM, said:

Without context I'm gonna have to assume he meant Carson's belief that the pyramids were built chiefly to store grain, like pointy silos. I too agree with this.

He meant brain.

#9151 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 18 July 2019 - 11:25 AM

View PostAzath Vitr (D, on 18 July 2019 - 01:06 AM, said:

Chilling.

Reminded me of this:

TRIGGER WARNING - Ten seconds of Godwin's Law. Carefully note it's a link to click on not the usual embedded video.

https://www.youtube....h?v=EihIhzq1gBI

This post has been edited by Tsundoku: 18 July 2019 - 11:29 AM

"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"Well well well ... if it ain't The Invisible C**t." - Billy Butcher, The Boys

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#9152 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 18 July 2019 - 12:29 PM

View PostTsundoku, on 18 July 2019 - 11:25 AM, said:

Chilling.

Reminded me of this:

TRIGGER WARNING - Ten seconds of Godwin's Law. Carefully note it's a link to click on not the usual embedded video.

You know what is more disturbing...he knew he was wrong about everyone but Omar....so he's now focused hard in on her only because she's the only one of them who is an immigrant/naturalized citizen. Because he fucking KNOWS his "send her back" shit will stick with his base on the one that actually came from elsewhere originally.

These scummy fucks are the absolute worst.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#9153 User is offline   Cause 

• Elder God

Posted 18 July 2019 - 01:14 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 18 July 2019 - 12:29 PM, said:

View PostTsundoku, on 18 July 2019 - 11:25 AM, said:

Chilling.

Reminded me of this:

You know what is more disturbing...he knew he was wrong about everyone but Omar....so he's now focused hard in on her only because she's the only one of them who is an immigrant/naturalized citizen. Because he fucking KNOWS his "send her back" shit will stick with his base on the one that actually came from elsewhere originally.

These scummy fucks are the absolute worst.

Its disgusting and just outright amazing that they get away with it. Trump is married to an immigrant, an immigrant who chained migrated her family. The senate majority leader is apparently married to an Asian women?

So they are clearly saying black immigrants are a problem not all immigrants.

Also he is pissed that she is complaining that government could be better, if she criticizes America she can go home. WTF? She is the government, its her job to govern, to hold government to account and to press the issues of her voters.

TBH I'm not a fan of a lot of what the so called 'squad' has said but they are clearly American, they clearly represent a portion of americans and Trump is literally abandoning the dog whistling and just coming out and screaming he is a racist. This in context of birthirism is clear as crystal. This is impeachable conduct surely. That said it seems that Trump at least and many of his aids thinks he has stumbled into a winning strategy. The republicans blocking the Houses vote against him by claiming that calling the presidents words racist was a violation of house rules against insulting other congressmen and the president deserves infamy.

It was annoying that because his daughter converted to Judaism and married Kushner he got a lot of cover for supporting the Nazis at charlotsville but how anyone can defend his words this time...

#9154 User is offline   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant

Posted 18 July 2019 - 05:25 PM

Now Trump's repeating the ridiculous conspiracy theory that Omar married her brother to help him get US citizenship:

'"There's a lot of talk about the fact that she was married to her brother."

"I know nothing about it," he added. "I hear she was married to her brother."'

While news sources are referring to the claim as 'unverified' the only 'evidence' is an anonymous post on a Somali forum, and there's substantive evidence that he's not her brother (not listed or pictured on her family's paperwork when they entered the US, all of her siblings are accounted for, it's really just ridiculous). And he's a British citizen, not an American citizen.

Is Trump going to demand a DNA test next?

https://www.business...enter-us-2019-7

This post has been edited by Azath Vitr (D'ivers: 18 July 2019 - 05:34 PM

#9155 User is offline   Mezla PigDog 

• Malazan Yo Yo Champion 2009
  • Group: Mezla's Thought Police

Posted 18 July 2019 - 07:51 PM

The thing I find most scary about this is that the people who support him or even vaguely support him have no understanding of how this behaviour is racist. So they criticise the left for claiming that everything is racist. Then it just gets drowned out in the usual noise and the next time he sinks even lower it's the same arguments. This is how you get to the Third Reich and the Holocaust - by increments so that the general populace doesn't even notice.

The lack of basic critical thought education. People can't see what is front of their face and accuse the ones who can of spreading falsehoods. I despair. I'm reading 1984 at the moment, I want to slit my wrists.
Burn rubber =/= warp speed

#9156 User is offline   Gorefest 

• Witness

Posted 18 July 2019 - 10:54 PM

If you want a picture of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face - forever.
Yesterday, upon the stair, I saw a man who wasn't there. He wasn't there again today. Oh, how I wish he'd go away.

#9157 User is offline   Maark Abbott 

• Part Time Catgirl
  • Interests:Redacted

Posted 19 July 2019 - 07:18 AM

View PostGorefest, on 18 July 2019 - 10:54 PM, said:

If you want a picture of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face - forever.

Woah now, let's not be too hasty. Who's wearing the boot? Is latex involved?
Debut novel 'Incarnate' now available on Kindle

#9158 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 19 July 2019 - 07:30 AM

Could it just be an emoji of a boot stomping on a human face?

#9159 User is offline   Cause 

• Elder God

Posted 19 July 2019 - 08:13 AM

So just make sure I'm following this correctly:

Trump tells 4 black congresswoman to go back to the corrupt and crime rampant countires they came from.
Trump has a rally where the crowd chants 'send her back'!
Trump now denies he agrees with the message?

He knows that everything he says and does is recorded right. I guess the polls didn't look as favorable as he thought

#9160 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 19 July 2019 - 06:22 PM

Oh yeah, women of color in politics, doing their jobs. The horror, the horror.

Share this topic:

• 706 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

3 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users