• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

The USA Politics Thread

#4601 User is offline   Vengeance 

• High Priest of Shinrei Love and Worship
  • Group: Administrators
  • very good...;)

Posted 29 January 2017 - 03:01 AM

A federal judge just put a temp ban in place. This is going to be challenged in court. In 1965 congress passed a law stating that people could not be banned from the us bases on race,sex,or religious belief. That law has been upheld and will most likely strike down trumps retarded 120 day ban.
How many fucking people do I have to hammer in order to get that across.
Hinter - Vengy - DIE. I trusted you you bastard!!!!!!!

Steven Erikson made drowning in alien cum possible - Obdigore

#4602 User is online   worry 

• Master of the Deck
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 29 January 2017 - 04:45 AM

http://law.marquette...f-illegitimacy/

Marquette law school prof on the legalities of Trump's executive order, including SCOTUS precedent. It's not long, and well worth reading.
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#4603 User is offline   EmperorMagus 

• Scarecrow of Low House PEN
  • Group: Tehol's Blissful Chickens

Posted 29 January 2017 - 04:45 AM

https://twitter.com/...564941587394561

This guy has a pretty good point. Although I do think that the message is not from Trump but rather Herr Bannon.
Dulce et decorum est
Pro patria mori
#sarcasm

#4604 User is online   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 29 January 2017 - 05:16 AM

No doubt about it it's Bannon: https://www.rawstory...curity-council/ (bolding is mine)

In another series of executive orders on Saturday, Pres. Donald Trump restructured the National Security Council (NSC) and created a position on it for senior aide and former Breitbart.com CEO Stephen K. Bannon. The Washington Post reported Saturday night that in addition to installing Bannon on the council, Trump ordered the Pentagon to come up with a strategy to defeat ISIS and conducted his first phone call with Russian Pres. Vladimir Putin and conducted calls with other heads of state.

The Post reported that Bannon has been given a regular seat on the National Security Council’s principals committee, which will include the nation’s highest ranking security officials, the Secretary of Defense and the Secretary of State.

Unlike previous presidential administrations, Trump’s Saturday memo specified that the director of national intelligence and the chairman of the Joint Chiefs will only attend principals committee meetings that pertain to their specific “responsibilities and expertise.”

#4605 User is online   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 29 January 2017 - 06:17 AM

The airport protests have been beautiful, a lot of great work from lawyers tonight (no lawyer jokes for the rest of January!).

Also, this is hopefully another success from tonight. Love to see people hit them where it hurts. #DeleteUber

Posted Image

The statement on the EO from the NY Taxi Workers Alliance was on the money:

NYTWA STATEMENT ON MUSLIM BAN:

Professional drivers are over 20 times more likely to be murdered on the job than other workers. By sanctioning bigotry with his unconstitutional and inhumane executive order banning Muslim refugees from seven countries, the president is putting professional drivers in more danger than they have been in any time since 9/11 when hate crimes against immigrants skyrocketed.

Our 19,000-member-strong union stands firmly opposed to Donald Trump's Muslim ban. As an organization whose membership is largely Muslim, a workforce that's almost universally immigrant, and a working-class movement that is rooted in the defense of the oppressed, we say no to this inhumane and unconstitutional ban.

We know all too well that when government programs sanction outright Islamophobia, and the rhetoric of hate is spewed from the bully pulpit, hate crimes increase and drivers suffer gravely. Our Sikh and other non-Muslim brown and black members also suffer from anti-Muslim violence.

Today, drivers are joining the protest at JFK Airport in support of all those who are currently being detained at the airport because of Trump's unconstitutional executive order. Drivers stand in solidarity with refugees coming to America in search of peace and safety and with those who are simply trying to return to their homes here in America after traveling abroad. We stand in solidarity with all of our peace-loving neighbors against this inhumane, cruel, and unconstitutional act of pure bigotry.

#4606 User is offline   Gorefest 

• Witness

Posted 29 January 2017 - 09:03 AM

How on earth can one man be allowed to cause this much uncontrolled mayhem so quickly? Don't the US have any safeguards in place against unconstitutional abuse of power? Is this going to be a continuous play of government versus civil rights lawyers? Scary stuff. I thought we'd at least get a few months before Trump would destroy the universe.
Yesterday, upon the stair, I saw a man who wasn't there. He wasn't there again today. Oh, how I wish he'd go away.

#4607 User is offline   MTS 

• Fourth Investiture

Posted 29 January 2017 - 09:21 AM

Let's not get hyperbolic here. It took a few days for a federal judge to knock back a flagrantly unconstitutional executive order, and it should be overturned. What I find most ironic is that the Party (and President) who screeched so loudly about protecting the Constitution are so unapologetic about violating it. I get it Republicans. It's like the Bible - only follow it when it gets you what you want. Allowing a democratically elected President to select a SC justice? 'No way! We have to take our country back!' Not letting Muslims into the country? 'It's all about protecting our borders guys, chill!'

In potentially good news, Trump didn't immediately put the kibosh on the refugee deal Obama negotiated with us when he spoke to our PM today. I mean, it's only 300 people, but at least they might get relief from the hellscape that is our refugee centres.

This post has been edited by MTS: 29 January 2017 - 09:28 AM

Antiquis temporibus, nati tibi similes in rupibus ventosissimis exponebantur ad necem.

Si hoc adfixum in obice legere potes, et liberaliter educatus et nimis propinquus ades.

#4608 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 29 January 2017 - 01:19 PM

Our prime minister, Trudeau, has said we will take refugeees booted or refused from the US. He also gave a strongly worded speech aimed at Trump and "fear" at the UN.

Have I mentioned yet how I dig our PM?
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#4609 User is offline   EmperorMagus 

Posted 29 January 2017 - 01:24 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 29 January 2017 - 01:19 PM, said:

Our prime minister, Trudeau, has said we will take refugeees booted or refused from the US. He also gave a strongly worded speech aimed at Trump and "fear" at the UN.

I go "splooosh" every time I see him talk.

I wish he would actually fulfill his promise of PR though.
Dulce et decorum est
Pro patria mori
#sarcasm

#4610 User is offline   Cause 

• Elder God

Posted 29 January 2017 - 03:16 PM

View PostEmperorMagus, on 29 January 2017 - 01:24 PM, said:

View PostQuickTidal, on 29 January 2017 - 01:19 PM, said:

I go "splooosh" every time I see him talk.

I wish he would actually fulfill his promise of PR though.

PR?

#4611 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 29 January 2017 - 03:21 PM

Proportional representation.

#4612 User is offline   Cause 

• Elder God

Posted 29 January 2017 - 03:50 PM

View PostMacros, on 29 January 2017 - 03:21 PM, said:

Proportional representation.

Okay had to google the issue. Yeah this first past the post nonsense confused me. Hopefully it will be fixed. The electoral college of the united states also bizarre. Of course in my country we dont even vote for our president directly. It amazes me how poorly thought out these systems so often appear to be.

#4613 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 29 January 2017 - 03:57 PM

View PostMTS, on 29 January 2017 - 09:21 AM, said:

Let's not get hyperbolic here. It took a few days for a federal judge to knock back a flagrantly unconstitutional executive order, and it should be overturned.

This is thousands of people all of a sudden incurring costs, lost time, stress, and being detained or deported. It's non hyperbolic awfulness.
I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

#4614 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon

Posted 29 January 2017 - 04:05 PM

What I find most ironic is that the Party (and President) who screeched so loudly about protecting the Constitution are so unapologetic about violating it. I get it Republicans. It's like the Bible - only follow it when it gets you what you want. Allowing a democratically elected President to select a SC justice? 'No way! We have to take our country back!' Not letting Muslims into the country? 'It's all about protecting our borders guys, chill!'

Attached File(s)

A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#4615 User is online   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 30 January 2017 - 12:21 AM

Any hints as to how Trudeau will react to Trump trying to negotiate NAFTA through bilateral agreements? (Presumably to give Mexico the shaft.)

#4616 User is offline   EmperorMagus 

Posted 30 January 2017 - 12:52 AM

View Postdeath rattle, on 30 January 2017 - 12:21 AM, said:

Any hints as to how Trudeau will react to Trump trying to negotiate NAFTA through bilateral agreements? (Presumably to give Mexico the shaft.)

He hasn't said anything about it directly. His government's rhetoric has been all "protecting the interests of Canadians and Canadian businesses" so I assume he is ready to scapegoat Mexico.
Dulce et decorum est
Pro patria mori
#sarcasm

#4617 User is offline   MTS 

• Fourth Investiture

Posted 30 January 2017 - 01:28 AM

View Postamphibian, on 29 January 2017 - 03:57 PM, said:

View PostMTS, on 29 January 2017 - 09:21 AM, said:

Let's not get hyperbolic here. It took a few days for a federal judge to knock back a flagrantly unconstitutional executive order, and it should be overturned.

This is thousands of people all of a sudden incurring costs, lost time, stress, and being detained or deported. It's non hyperbolic awfulness.

I wasn't saying it's not awful. I was reacting to Gorefest's exclamation that this was 'uncontrolled mayhem' and that Trump is '[destroying] the universe', the latter in particular.

This order was ill-thought out, won't do what it's ostensibly meant to and others are paying the price for it. It's also a troubling indication that this admin. is treating government like the campaign and just making policy up on the fly. Who needs the State Department, the Justice Department and the Office of Legal Counsel anyway?
Antiquis temporibus, nati tibi similes in rupibus ventosissimis exponebantur ad necem.

Si hoc adfixum in obice legere potes, et liberaliter educatus et nimis propinquus ades.

#4618 User is offline   Vengeance 

• High Priest of Shinrei Love and Worship
  • Group: Administrators
  • very good...;)

Posted 30 January 2017 - 02:01 AM

I expected nothing else from someone who has absolutely no idea what government is about. Has never been in government in any kind capacity and promotes a neonazi conspiracy nut as his advisor. The question really become how long before we are talking about president pence. A fuck head who couldn't get reelected to his own state.
How many fucking people do I have to hammer in order to get that across.
Hinter - Vengy - DIE. I trusted you you bastard!!!!!!!

Steven Erikson made drowning in alien cum possible - Obdigore

#4619 User is offline   LinearPhilosopher 

• House Knight
  • Interests:Everything.

Posted 30 January 2017 - 02:24 AM

View Postdeath rattle, on 30 January 2017 - 12:21 AM, said:

smart money says nothing. Trudeaus not going to put canada in his crosshairs after all the ridiculousness of week 1.

If im not mistaken hes still touring the country trying to draw attention away from some conflict of itnerest stuff over the holidays.

Either way i cančt see canada stepping up and looking out for mexico.

#4620 User is online   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 30 January 2017 - 02:48 AM

Shooting in Quebec City mosque, 5 dead. http://www.reuters.c...g-idUSKBN15E04S

I know that's not the USA, but can't be divorced from USA politics. The monsters are loose.

Share this topic:

• 721 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

114 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 114 guests, 0 anonymous users