Malazan Empire: The USA politics thread - - Malazan Empire

• 678 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

The USA politics thread - The other political idiocy - This is Democracy?

#13541 User is offline   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Shield Anvil
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 09 June 2021 - 10:25 PM

View PostMalankazooie, on 09 June 2021 - 06:57 PM, said:

Biden's Euro tour. How do you guys think the meeting with Putin will go?

Bit less exciting since they're meeting in Switzerland. So much for my wild speculations about what sorts of mischief Putin could try if Biden visited Russia....

#13542 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 10 June 2021 - 03:16 AM

How many years has it been since either countries president made a visit to the other? The 90s?

#13543 User is offline   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Shield Anvil

Posted 10 June 2021 - 04:07 AM

View PostAptorian, on 10 June 2021 - 03:16 AM, said:

How many years has it been since either countries president made a visit to the other? The 90s?

Putin met with Obama in New York in 2015. Putin had an official 'state visit' to Washington DC in 2001, though he's been to DC on two trips since then.

Obama visited Russia in 2013 for the G-20 summit.

#13544 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 10 June 2021 - 04:57 AM

Huh, I thought the Putin USA relationship was frostier.

#13545 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 10 June 2021 - 04:53 PM

The body language is going to be analyzed to an absurd degree. Hopefully the mics pick up Biden saying something along the lines of: "I'm fed up with your malarkey."

#13546 User is offline   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Shield Anvil

Posted 10 June 2021 - 05:14 PM

View PostMalankazooie, on 10 June 2021 - 04:53 PM, said:

The body language is going to be analyzed to an absurd degree. Hopefully the mics pick up Biden saying something along the lines of: "I'm fed up with your malarkey."

One of the few things they can do in person that they can't do remotely is touch each other (... without using surrogates or champions). Biden can get pretty handsy. Though I doubt he'll try to sniff Putin's hair.

Posted Image

What happens if Biden and Putin have some physical contact and Biden 'slips' (... from Putin's subtle judo)?...

OTOH studies indicate touch can build rapport. They could try to hug it out (if Biden can survive Putin's bear hug), but I doubt that will happen. Maybe they'd be better off meeting remotely and taking ecstasy or similar, or having surrogates touch them in virtual reality (with the other leader's face/body/soothing voice).

Granted, a virtual stare-down just isn't the same... especially when one of them is into poisoning people.

This post has been edited by Azath Vitr (D'ivers: 10 June 2021 - 05:15 PM

#13547 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted Yesterday, 02:33 PM

Seemed to go as per routine and planned. Feels good to expect normal again as opposed to how these international spectacles went the four years prior. Now just need to keep tabs on Biden and see if he comes down with a serious illness.

#13548 User is offline   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Shield Anvil

Posted Yesterday, 05:55 PM

View PostMalankazooie, on 17 June 2021 - 02:33 PM, said:

Seemed to go as per routine and planned. Feels good to expect normal again as opposed to how these international spectacles went the four years prior. Now just need to keep tabs on Biden and see if he comes down with a serious illness.

Not sure how 'normal' this is (or what 'normal' is):

'Putin Sucks Up to Biden: There's a Spark of Hope in His Eyes

[Putin] is loving the attention of a major summit and lavished Biden with praise after a four-hour meeting.

[...] culminating in a press conference that went on and on, with Putin musing on philosophy and even threatening to break into song at one point.'

https://news.yahoo.c...-140512081.html

... but it's definitely an improvement over the US president sucking up to Putin.

'Trump's Russia Adviser: I Almost Faked a Medical Emergency to End Trump-Putin Lovefest

[...] said the lovefest was so disturbing that she considered pulling a fire alarm or faking a medical emergency [...] "I couldn't come up with anything that just wouldn't add to the terrible spectacle, [...] It was one of those moments where it was mortifying, frankly, and humiliating for the country."

Hill said Putin had already made a point of making outrageous statements in the run-up to the event, but "it was the press conference itself and the way President Trump, unfortunately, handled himself that was the worst moment of all." She compared it to how Dr. Deborah Birx felt during Trump's bizarre press conference in which he wondered if people could inject bleach to fight COVID-19.'

https://www.thedaily...=cheats&via=rss

This post has been edited by Azath Vitr (D'ivers: Yesterday, 05:55 PM

Share this topic:

• 678 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users