Malazan Empire: The USA politics thread - - Malazan Empire

• 675 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

The USA politics thread - The other political idiocy - This is Democracy?

#13341 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 20 January 2021 - 06:30 PM

Yep, slow burn that motherfucker. Death by a thousand cuts. The dumb memories of the Q-maga assholes will be on to the next, hopefully.

But I would really like to see impeachment done to completion, and all the constitutional "walls" (see what I did there) that will be put in front of Donnie boy and any aspirations he may have in the future.

[EDIT] Draw back: Trump 's life has been spent in perpetual litigation, so if he is knowledgeable and good at anything it's sue and being sued.

This post has been edited by Malankazooie: 20 January 2021 - 06:34 PM

#13342 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 20 January 2021 - 06:52 PM

View PostAptorian, on 20 January 2021 - 06:26 PM, said:

Politically it would be a very bad move to move on Trump right after he leaves office. It would create massive civil unrest. Serve him papers, call him in for a talk, sure. But they've got time.

Politically, it would be amazing if he was arrested right away. The civil unrest is already happening and it's not likely to get worse with him in jail for however long it takes to process the papers to get him out. But it won't happen because not enough people think holding him accountable is important.

To loop back to Quick Tidal's question, Trump is not going to get arrested as he steps off a plane. If it ever happens, it'll happen in a "he walks into the building with his lawyers alongside him" type deal. He's a criminal, but he's also an ex-President and that makes people do loopy things.
I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

#13343 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• General Kenobi
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Sith Beatdowns

Posted 20 January 2021 - 07:06 PM

View Postamphibian, on 20 January 2021 - 06:52 PM, said:

View PostAptorian, on 20 January 2021 - 06:26 PM, said:

Politically it would be a very bad move to move on Trump right after he leaves office. It would create massive civil unrest. Serve him papers, call him in for a talk, sure. But they've got time.

Politically, it would be amazing if he was arrested right away. The civil unrest is already happening and it's not likely to get worse with him in jail for however long it takes to process the papers to get him out. But it won't happen because not enough people think holding him accountable is important.

To loop back to Quick Tidal's question, Trump is not going to get arrested as he steps off a plane. If it ever happens, it'll happen in a "he walks into the building with his lawyers alongside him" type deal. He's a criminal, but he's also an ex-President and that makes people do loopy things.

Ah okay, fair enough.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

#13344 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 21 January 2021 - 12:26 AM

First White House press conference. It seems.... normal. It seems weird in its normalcy. I have feelings of confusion. What's going on?

#13345 User is offline   Binder of Demons 

• Lord of Light
  • View gallery
  • - Thread Killer -

Posted 21 January 2021 - 01:35 AM

I know right. What a strange thing to see a competent human answer questions in a pretty sensible manner.

The one thing that made me bristle was hearing a question from some windbag from a fucking religious newspaper . We're having the political fallout from an old church/state scandal here in Ireland yet again, so the last thing I want to hear is any 'probing' questions from these allegedly pious pricks.

It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt - Mark Twain

Never argue with an idiot!
They'll drag you down to their level, and then beat you with experience!
- Anonymous

#13346 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 22 January 2021 - 12:25 AM

You guys should find the footage of Bernie Sanders at the inauguration. There's something endearing about that weird old dude at a highbrow social event like an inauguration. Sorta looks like that odd old uncle who wears dress socks with sandles and teaches anthropology at the local community college putting his best foot forward in getting dressed up for the occasion.

Also, watching some highlights of the inaugration, Obama is so the popular kid. Trump must of had steam rolling out of his ears seeing that. And knowing that he is a one termer (thank the heavens) and will not equal Obama. Or will he? *evil-finger-tapping *MAGA2024! *Buld-the-DeathStar! ? *LockHimUpInCryostasis! ?

#13347 User is offline   Maark Abbott 

• [MAXIMUM DISGRUNTLEMENT]
  • Interests:Redacted

Posted 22 January 2021 - 08:46 AM

Hashtag Shadowprez
Facebook - www.facebook[dotcom]/MaarkAbbottWriting / Twitter - @MAbbottWriting / I'm on Goodreads somewhere as well

XBL - Shoryukos / Steam - Angryμaark / PSN - AngryMaark

Debut novel 'Incarnate' now available on Kindle

#13348 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 22 January 2021 - 07:28 PM

Been catching up with highlights of the inauguration and some of the various segments that were produced. I probably could have looked this up, but I figure I would ask you guys - Jimmy Carter is still alive, right?

#13349 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 22 January 2021 - 07:47 PM

Still alive at 96. Probably still the best actual person among the living Presidents.
I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

#13350 User is offline   Primateus 

• E Pluribus Anus
  • Interests:Stuff, lots of stuff!

Posted 22 January 2021 - 08:16 PM

As easy as it is to make fun of Qanon cultists and their rampant stupidity and gullibility, let's not forget that...

Qanon does have casualties...

And it's not actually funny.
Screw you all, and have a nice day!

#13351 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• Make the Empire Great Again

Posted 23 January 2021 - 01:21 AM

View PostPrimateus, on 22 January 2021 - 08:16 PM, said:

As easy as it is to make fun of Qanon cultists and their rampant stupidity and gullibility, let's not forget that...

Qanon does have casualties...

And it's not actually funny.

Shit, there's some really fucked up stories in there.

I found this link to a timeline a journo did of what happened after Election Day in the QAnon world. Whoa. :doh:

The reddit thread:

https://www.reddit.c...lection_day_to/

The article in Paste Magazine:

https://www.pastemag...auguration-day/

EDIT:
Love this part referring to the revolving door at the White House

"One of the defining aspects of Donald Trump as a human being is his habit of heaping praise and adulation on those who follow his orders, only to throw those same people under the bus weeks later by calling them disloyal idiots as soon as they object to his stupidity. It’s why we measure time in Donald’s service in “Mooches,” with each amount of time equal to 11 days, the amount of time that Anthony Scaramucci lasted as the White House Communications Director. Trump has never had an underling he wasn’t ready to sacrifice at a moment’s notice, but somehow expects his terrible hiring to never reflect poorly upon him.
Taking his lead, QAnon influencers offer up ecstatic, over-the-moon worship of all the random yes men in Trump’s orbit, portraying them as unstoppable warriors and badasses who will help to usher in the coming of The Storm. At least, that’s how they treat these people when they’re first hired. As soon as they “betray” Trump, the Q influencers then sling venom at them and claim they’ve all been Deep State agents all along."

EDIT2: Oh wow, here's where someone realises they've lost everything, and for what?

Attached File(s)

This post has been edited by Tsundoku: 23 January 2021 - 03:13 AM

"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"Well well well ... if it ain't The Invisible C**t." - Billy Butcher, The Boys

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#13352 User is offline   Cause 

• Elder God

Posted 27 January 2021 - 02:26 AM

https://www.google.c...rump/index.html

What I find interesting about this article is the line where the democrats are called leftist forces.

Back in my own country we have a political party called the economic freedom fighters that dresses in red, wears berets and calls their leader the commander in chief.

I believe Steve Brannon has a political podcast he calls war room.

My point anyway is just that when you use language like this of course it’s is vs them. No negotiation. If you start speaking about politics as total war there can be only one winner.

#13353 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 30 January 2021 - 12:09 AM

That Marjorie Taylor Greene moron is really catching it. Hopefully it leads to expulsion. And hopefully followed out the door by Lauren Boebert.

[EDIT] It's laughable that many Rs are calling for unity and inclusive atmosphere of bipartisanship. I know Biden pushes bipartisanship too, which is commendable. But how the hell could you ever even entertain the notion of having something to work on with some of these people.

This post has been edited by Malankazooie: 30 January 2021 - 12:15 AM

#13354 User is offline   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Shield Anvil

Posted 31 January 2021 - 04:00 PM

'Trump's entire legal team quits week before impeachment trial

[...] The disagreements over strategy varied, [...] but Trump wanted his team to argue there was election fraud, while the lawyers and some top advisers to the former president wanted the focus to remain on the constitutionality of a trial with the president no longer in office.'

https://abcnews.go.c...o_YfgU3Xsd_MZ8c

'Removing an official requires a "conviction" by a two-thirds Senate majority under the Constitution. Under precedent, only a simple majority is needed for disqualification [from holding future office]. Historically, that vote only happens after a conviction.

[...]

Can Trump be disqualified if he is not convicted by the Senate?

This is uncharted legal territory, and there is no clear answer, scholars said.

Paul Campos, a professor of constitutional law at the University of Colorado, said he believed a vote to disqualify Trump can be held even if there are not enough votes for conviction. The U.S. Supreme Court has made clear that the Senate has wide latitude to determine how it conducts a trial, he said.

But Kalt said he thought disqualification would require conviction first. To do otherwise would be the equivalent of punishing the president for an offense he did not commit, Kalt said.

What about the 14th Amendment?

Section 3 of the 14th Amendment provides an alternative path for disqualification.

The provision states that no person shall hold office if they have engaged in "insurrection or rebellion" against the United States. It was enacted following the Civil War to bar Confederates from holding public office.

Under congressional precedent, only a simple majority of both chambers is needed to invoke this penalty. Congress can later remove the disqualification, but only if two-thirds of both houses vote in favor of doing so.

[...] "The 14th Amendment route is very unclear as to what it would take to get it rolling," said Kalt. "I think it would require some combination of legislation and litigation."

If Trump is disqualified, the current Supreme Court might want to clarify whether the move was lawful, Kalt said.'

https://www.reuters....e-idUSKBN29I356

This post has been edited by Azath Vitr (D'ivers: 31 January 2021 - 04:01 PM

#13355 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 31 January 2021 - 05:08 PM

I don't believe this circus is likely to lead to anything, I just want my fantasy of Trump being grilled for an entire day in front of cameras to come true. It'll be such a shit show.

#13356 User is offline   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Shield Anvil

Posted 31 January 2021 - 05:24 PM

View PostAptorian, on 31 January 2021 - 05:08 PM, said:

I don't believe this circus is likely to lead to anything, I just want my fantasy of Trump being grilled for an entire day in front of cameras to come true. It'll be such a shit show.

I'd love it if they let Trump act as his own 'lawyer' and do the cross-examinations himself.

Might even have a heart attack or stroke and die on live TV.

#TrueRealityTelevision

This post has been edited by Azath Vitr (D'ivers: 31 January 2021 - 05:24 PM

#13357 User is offline   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Shield Anvil

Posted 01 February 2021 - 05:40 PM

'Trump Taught Teachers Conspiracy Theories. Now They're Teaching Them To Students.

Teachers who believe Trump's election fraud lies that brought a violent mob to the Capitol are passing on those conspiracy theories in the classroom — and on to the next generation of voters.

As he spoke to his students during a Zoom lesson earlier this month, the northern Virginia middle school social studies teacher called the attempted coup at the Capitol on Jan. 6 "a setup."

He would know, he said. He was there.

"That's what I witnessed. That's what I saw," teacher Benjamin Plummer can be heard saying in a video of the incident published by Fox 5 DC. "When I heard the media just blaming Trump supporters the whole time, I knew then that it was a setup."

Plummer defended the mob that marched to the Capitol as "incredibly peaceful" and "Christians," and instead told his young class at the diverse Fred M. Lynn Middle School that the summer's Black Lives Matter protesters were to blame for "destroying cities."

Plummer, who did not respond to a request for comment, was subsequently put on leave over his Zoom rant after a student recorded it and it was posted to Twitter. The Prince William County school district told local news outlets that while employees are permitted to "engage in political activity on their personal time," they are not to do so during work hours or using school resources.

[...]

Plummer is just one of several teachers who've faced consequences for their actions related to the insurrection. There's the high school history teacher in Wisconsin under investigation for telling his students he was going to DC to defend "election integrity." There's the Florida substitute dismissed for telling students falsely the rioters were antifa. A Pennsylvania social studies teacher was suspended pending an investigation for attending the Trump rally before the Capitol attack and saying on Facebook he was "doing [his] civic duty." And then there was the Cleveland school therapist who stormed the Capitol with a QAnon sign, resigned in a letter saying she was switching careers "to expose the global evil of human trafficking and pedophilia," and was then arrested by the FBI.

[...] The political atmosphere is so tense nationally that some teachers are even holding their tongues, or facing disciplinary consequences, as their conspiracy-minded colleagues poison the historical record. These educators, who like millions of other Americans wrongly believe the 2020 election was stolen, are not only responsible for teaching children what happened that day, they're helping to build the next generation of voters.

[...] Misled by former president Donald Trump's extensive lies about his defeat, about a third of Americans, and two-thirds of Republicans, do not trust the election results and believe there was widespread fraud, despite a total lack of evidence. More than a sixth believe in the mass delusion of QAnon, roughly the same amount who don't believe humans are causing climate change.

Teachers are naturally among them. Because of how they are scattered all across the US, educators can almost be viewed as something of a representative cross section of what the whole country believes, according to Meira Levinson, a Harvard University education professor and political philosopher. "Teachers are really evenly spread," said Levinson. "They basically mirror the beliefs — including the false beliefs — of Americans."

[...] A high school social studies teacher in Catoosa County, Georgia (a district near the Tennessee border that is represented in Congress by QAnon believer Rep. Marjorie Taylor Greene), was this week forced to remove a post on the school’s online learning platform where he said there had been no evidence of voter fraud in the 2020 election.

[...] “A civil society has to respect facts and the truth, even when the truth turns out differently than what we wished for,” he wrote. “Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but everyone is NOT entitled to their own FACTS.”
After parents complained, McMahan[...] was directed to take down the post. School officials said it was because McMahan had shared his “personal perspective” on “conspiracy theories, rumors and allegations that have not been litigated.”

But the school is wrong. There is, in fact, no evidence to support these election fraud claims. And they were, in fact, litigated; Trump filed more than 60 lawsuits in an attempt to prove the race was “stolen” from him — and he lost them all. McMahan was merely stating the truth.

There are no quick antidotes to a nation poisoned by conspiracy theories. Giving students the tools to discern facts and form their own opinion will mean expanding media literacy training and civic education curriculums. [...] it’s not just the students who will need these classes.
“People really need to jump on getting better professional development for faculty and staff so that they can better support students, [and] one really great place to start is with some digital literacy for our adults, as well as our students, so people know where misinformation is coming from, what it means, how to snuff it out, how to identify it,” [...] “We’re starting in a lot of circles to ask that of our students, but I haven’t seen anyone asking that of faculty and staff.”'

https://www.buzzfeed...YJnqRW1l1hJ8eKg

This post has been edited by Azath Vitr (D'ivers: 01 February 2021 - 05:45 PM

#13358 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 01 February 2021 - 10:51 PM

Here's the question.

Can the Reps keep the conspiracy and paranoia going long enough to capitalise on it and push a high voter turn out from the stop the stealers next time?

#13359 User is online   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon

Posted 02 February 2021 - 09:20 AM

View PostMacros, on 01 February 2021 - 10:51 PM, said:

Here's the question.

Can the Reps keep the conspiracy and paranoia going long enough to capitalise on it and push a high voter turn out from the stop the stealers next time?

Their fake calls for unity will last - at the absolute most - until about a year before the midterms.
Then they'll double down on the natives nastiness to try and bring them back in.

This post has been edited by Tiste Simeon: 02 February 2021 - 09:21 AM

A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#13360 User is offline   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Shield Anvil

Posted 02 February 2021 - 07:47 PM

'As the Republican Party buckles under the weight of the reality-defying, logic-bending conspiracy theories being pushed by members of the party, Sen. Mitch McConnell at last weighed in Monday night to state the obvious: This is a problem. The biggest problem not named Trump, so far, is the past and present behavior of newly elected Georgia Rep. Marjorie Taylor Greene. There appears to be quite literally nothing so absurd that the Republican won't believe it—and share "it" on social media. On Monday, McConnell declared the "loony lies and conspiracy theories," which have come to define a new era of Republican politician in the Trump age, are a "cancer for the Republican Party and our country."

The Senate minority leader did not mention Greene by name in his statement condemning the fabulist thinking of a growing number of Republicans, but it was clearly directed at the Greene wing of the party. "Somebody who's suggested that perhaps no airplane hit the Pentagon on 9/11, that horrifying school shootings were pre-staged, and that the Clintons crashed JFK Jr.'s airplane is not living in reality," McConnell said.

[...] There have been calls from the more sane end of the GOP pool that Greene be stripped of her committee assignments. “The comments that are being put forward by Marjorie Taylor Greene are atrocious,” Republican National Committee Chairwoman Ronna Romney McDaniel told the New York Times. “They need to be condemned. They are violent, they are inaccurate—they are very, very dangerous.”

Greene, always thinking, offered her own zing-response to McConnell on Twitter. “The real cancer for the Republican Party is weak Republicans who only know how to lose gracefully,” she tweeted. “This is why we are losing our country.”'

https://slate.com/ne...ican-party.html

The tortoise shows a speck of back-bone... in a battle with the ouroboroi over their limbs.

'There's another way Greene is like Trump, right? While she has aggressively courted a rural base, she doesn't come from the same world as her constituents.

[...] This gets missed a lot in the national conversation: She's not some, like, backwoods redneck—people will put these Deliverance memes up when she speaks—she's not that type. She's from a very wealthy neighborhood in metro Atlanta. Her kids went to very expensive private schools. She comes from a very affluent background. Some of her critics want to paint her as some backwoods bumpkin, and that's just not who she is.

[...] She's in this very white district that's been hit really hard by COVID.

It's very white, very conservative, very rural with a mix of some exurbs. There's not a very dominant news outlet or newspaper that provides information, so a lot of the voters I talked to during my visits to the district told me that their primary sources of information were social media or very conservative outlets.

A couple of days ago, Marjorie Taylor Green held several town hall meetings for constituents. And over and over again, you heard this fantasy narrative playing out, because she sponsored some kind of push to impeach Joe Biden. She was the only sponsor period on this legislation that's going to go nowhere to impeach Joe Biden just as he took office. And yet, at these town hall meetings, her constituents are treating it seriously. They're asking serious questions about why is the mainstream media not paying attention? When is the hearing going to start? How soon is Joe Biden going to be out of office? Those kinds of questions about legislation that objectively is going nowhere—that not even Fox News is reporting as viable. But her constituents are getting the message from alternative news sources that this is somehow this legit push to remove Joe Biden from office.

[...] I went to some of these "Stop the Steal" rallies in Georgia [...] they also would talk about how frustrated they were because they wanted to vote, but they didn't know how to because they had been told by President Trump that vote by mail was fraudulent. But they had also been told by President Trump and his allies that there were problems with Georgia's electronic voting machines. So they were genuinely frustrated and conflicted.

[...]

How do you think her constituents are going to see all this?

Most of them, the people who supported her in November, are going to echo what she's been saying. They're going to echo the fact that this is another example of Republican Trump supporters being silenced. It's why she's wearing a censored mask. She will definitely be sending fundraising emails out about it. She'll probably raise another boatload of cash off this. She raised about $1.6 million in a few days in the run-up to the last big controversy. That's a lot of money. And she's got this national audience now. She has more than 300,000 followers on Twitter. That's a powerful megaphone to raise cash and to get your message out.'

https://slate.com/ne...an-they-do.html

Almost hope she'll be banned from Twitter and social media---but then she (and her followers) will move to more batshit pure echochambers (maybe even something new created in conjunction with Trump---some new grift...).

This post has been edited by Azath Vitr (D'ivers: 02 February 2021 - 07:49 PM

Share this topic:

• 675 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

4 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 4 guests, 0 anonymous users