• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

The USA Politics Thread

#13321 User is offline   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 26 October 2022 - 05:45 PM

'The Impeachment of Joe Biden

And possibly Kamala Harris, and Merrick Garland, and Alejandro Mayorkas, and Antony Blinken

[...] 68 percent of Republican voters think the House should impeach Biden. A majority expect that it will impeach him. Thwarting those expectations would be dangerous for any House Republican.

The poll numbers for impeachment correspond closely to the belief among Republicans that Biden is an illegitimate president. This is no coincidence: Impeachment is the corollary of election denial—the invincible certainty that Biden cheated in 2020 and Donald Trump won. If you truly believe that and haven't joined a militia, impeachment is the least of the remedies you will accept. [...]

"The impeachment buzz will be at the backdrop of every conversation about a Republican agenda," [...] Trump's supporters[...] want "retribution." [...]

"Donald Trump's going to want to impeach everybody," [...]

[...] (In a nice piece of recursive logic, one of the charges against Harris was failing to invoke the Twenty-Fifth Amendment to remove Biden.)

[...] What charge could republicans use on Biden?

Advocates will have to come up with something that a majority of the House will endorse, and that will take time.

I talked with a lot of Republicans for this story, and the subject they mentioned most often was the president's son Hunter Biden. [...]

Republicans who mentioned "the Hunter issue"—even those who predicted that it would be the central predicate for impeachment—grew vague when I asked them how it demonstrated wrongdoing by the president. One said it showed "a pay-to-play scheme," but did not specify who paid whom for what corrupt purpose. [...]

A former House leadership aide close to McCarthy said an impeachment charge against the president based on his son's conduct would be politically effective only "if it was discovered that Joe Biden had been very significantly involved in making money for Hunter … and he had done something clearly illegal."

[...] but Congress gets to define high crimes and misdemeanors any way it likes.

[...] Some leading Republicans say the details won't even matter.'

The Impeachment of Joe Biden

This post has been edited by Azath Vitr (D'ivers: 26 October 2022 - 05:45 PM

#13322 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 26 October 2022 - 08:02 PM

Eh?

#13323 User is offline   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant

Posted 26 October 2022 - 08:39 PM

View PostMacros, on 26 October 2022 - 08:02 PM, said:

Eh?

That's assuming Republicans retake the House of Representatives... which unfortunately seems most likely now.

They could just impeach Biden for 'stealing the election' (which the article suggests may be the main factor driving support for impeachment among Republican voters---and about 2/3rds of House Republicans voted not to certify the election), but McCarthy would rather try to spend as much time as possible publicly 'investigating'... Hunter.

Bizarre Republican argument: Trump must be a good person because his children 'turned out so well'---they're 'not drug addicts'. Therefore, President Biden...

Impeaching Joe for being Hunter's father doesn't seem to rise to the level of the requisite 'high crimes and misdemeanors', but since that phrase apparently means whatever they want it to mean...

And impeaching the Vice President for not invoking the 25th Amendment to remove the president---lol... wonder if they'll try to impeach just about every Democrat / Democratic appointee they can. Guess they can't just do it all in a single vote---'we impeach them all---for worshipping Satan (and eating babies)!'

#13324 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 26 October 2022 - 08:50 PM

so Idiocracy is now officially being reclassified as a documentary?

#13325 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 26 October 2022 - 11:35 PM

Another woman comes forward on Herschel Walker.

And ooof, Fetterman's performance at the debate with Oz.

So... how you guys voting?

#13326 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 27 October 2022 - 12:02 AM

I believe the 'oof' in that debate was Oz saying abortion decisions should be between a woman, her doctor, and her local politician, not a stroke victim in recovery having a few speech difficulties during our absurd high school debate club system of assessing candidates. The narrative on that one has been predictably sociopathic, and I'd venture it was pre-determined among media simpletons as the juiciest low bar take regardless. They treat disability like a punchline, rather than the lived reality of millions upon millions of Americans and their family members, and it's sick.
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#13327 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 28 October 2022 - 05:40 PM

Apparently somebody broke into Nancy Pelosi's house and assaulted her husband:

https://www.bbc.com/...canada-63430150

#13328 User is offline   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant

Posted 28 October 2022 - 08:54 PM

View PostAptorian, on 28 October 2022 - 05:40 PM, said:

Apparently somebody broke into Nancy Pelosi's house and assaulted her husband:

https://www.bbc.com/...canada-63430150

'[...] posted links on his Facebook page to multiple videos produced by My Pillow CEO Mike Lindell falsely alleging that the 2020 election was stolen. Other posts included transphobic images and linked to websites claiming Covid-19 vaccines were deadly. [...]

[...] also posted links to YouTube videos with titles like “Democrat FARCE Commission to Investigate January 6th Capitol Riot COLLAPSES in Congress!!!” and “Global Elites Plan To Take Control Of YOUR Money! (Revealed)”

[...] after former Minneapolis Police Officer Derek Chauvin was found guilty of killing George Floyd, DePape wrote that the trial was “a modern lynching,” falsely indicating that Floyd died of a drug overdose. [Go Kanye!]

He also posted content about the “Great Reset” – the sprawling conspiracy theory that global elites are using coronavirus to usher in a new world order in which they gain more power and oppress the masses. And he complained that politicians making promises to try to win votes “are offering you bribes in exchange for your further enslavement.”'

'[...] tried to tie him up “until Nancy got home,” [...]

When the police arrived at the residence, the attacker said he was “waiting for Nancy.”'

Paul Pelosi, Nancy Pelosi's husband, attacked at couple's home

I'm a little surprised something like this didn't happen earlier---and that there weren't guards there already (and that he wasn't better armed...). Thankfully he was disconnected enough from empirical reality (or rigor) to realize (or do the minimal 'research' required to realize) that Nancy was in Washington DC not California (... and probably well-guarded---hopefully...).

#13329 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 28 October 2022 - 11:33 PM

Fortunately, this was a one-off effort in an otherwise healthy democracy, and not the logical and desired outcome of a sustained (and expanding) project by 1 of our only 2 major political parties.

#13330 User is offline   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant

Posted 29 October 2022 - 10:58 AM

'top-rated conservative cable star [...] "Just 'wondering' if Nancy Pelosi tried to STAGE her own mini January 6th. Complete with leaving the doors and windows OPEN for 'insurrectionists' and this Depepe fellow," [...] "THAT or she can't secure her home or office!"

That tweet was eventually pulled down [...] along with a slew of other Pelosi-focused posts.

"Wait a second," [...] "82-year-old Paul Pelosi they SAY was attacked by a guy with a HAMMER, yet he's expected to make a Full Recovery? And why is NANCY requesting 'privacy at this time' – NO."

[...] "WE DEMAND ALL THE INFO AND SCOOP. WHAT IS GOING ON IN THE PELOSI FAMILY?" [...]

Yet, on his [...] show, [he] doubled down on his tweets, calling the incident "weird."

"[...] we've got questions, and right now details are sketchy, and I do believe deliberately so,"'

Newsmax Host [...] Deletes Bonkers Tweet Suggesting Pelosi Staged Attack

#13331 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 29 October 2022 - 12:21 PM

This was an assassination attempt and even if it was the actions of one person, the constant incitement towards this is a feature - not an accident - of GOP mainstream messaging right now.

January 6th style stuff is happening faster and faster. I am clinging onto a shred of hope that people in the Democratic party realize this fully.

We are in real danger here of losing major portions of our democracy to what will eventually be low level civil war attempts.
I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

#13332 User is offline   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant

Posted 04 November 2022 - 06:31 PM

'Back in 2004 — when he was more of a Blue Dog Democrat and had yet to move to the far right and launch the Patrick Buchanan-influenced MAGA movement — Donald Trump told CNN’s Wolf Blitzer, “I've been around a long time, and it just seems the economy does better under the Democrats than under Republicans.”'

History shows that Republicans are 'just plain bad at managing the economy': industry experts

'Republicans Are Bad for the Economy. Here’s Why.

Polls say voters trust the GOP more than Democrats on economic issues. That’s a huge mistake.

[...] nearly eight in 10 voters said the economy will be “very important” to their voting decisions. [...] almost half of respondents cited either the economy or inflation as the issue about which they were most concerned. [...[ indicated that concerns about the economy and inflation are “much more likely to drive voters towards Republicans.”

[...] You might assume [...] that they had alternative plans that they have presented to the American people. But, you would be wrong. In fact, [...] McConnell has bragged that he would not even discuss his agenda until after the election. They have no inflation plan. And the plans they’ve said they admire—like that of the United Kingdom’s prime minister-for-a-second Liz Truss—have been a catastrophe.

The last time the Republicans were in charge, during the Trump years, they passed precisely one significant piece of economic legislation, a tax cut that benefited the very rich at the expense of everyone else and, as we have established, helped explode the federal budget deficit.

Republicans are just plain bad at managing the economy. They have been for as long as anyone who is alive can remember. And they continue to be—although they are achieving previously unattained new levels of cynicism and obstructionism that make the current crowd of Republicans look even worse than their very unsuccessful predecessors.

History and data make it clear that Democrats are good for the economy—while Republicans, especially the current Republicans in Congress, are not.

[...] Republicans have done a great job fooling voters into thinking that their simplistic economic philosophies of tax cuts and minimal regulation are “good for business.” But facts, history, and logic show otherwise.'

Republicans Are Bad for the Economy. Here’s Why.

#13333 User is offline   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant

Posted 04 November 2022 - 06:54 PM

OTOH some voters may think that Republican (nonsuper)majorities with a Democratic president will result in few new laws being passed and comparatively little government spending---and that that would help reduce inflation.

But given how the polls were apparently phrased... I don't think it's at all likely that that (or any similarly charitable) interpretation explains them.

#13334 User is offline   Lady Bliss 

• Shameless Minister of Silly Catwalks of the Abyssmal Army
  • Group: The Abyssmal Army

Posted 04 November 2022 - 07:33 PM

Now forgive me because I agree with what you are saying in general, but I really am not a student of economics. Could you point out some examples of Democrats being better for the economy so that I can use them with my Republican friends?

My personal fear is just that everyone always blames who is currently in office for the problems, therefore swing voters will just vote Republicans for change.
"If you prick us do we not bleed? If you tickle us do we not laugh? If you poison us do we not die? And if you wrong us shall we not revenge?" - Shylock

#13335 User is offline   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant

Posted 04 November 2022 - 07:54 PM

View PostLady Bliss, on 04 November 2022 - 07:33 PM, said:

Now forgive me because I agree with what you are saying in general, but I really am not a student of economics. Could you point out some examples of Democrats being better for the economy so that I can use them with my Republican friends?

My personal fear is just that everyone always blames who is currently in office for the problems, therefore swing voters will just vote Republicans for change.

The first link

History shows that Republicans are 'just plain bad at managing the economy': industry experts

is not paywalled and quotes extensively from the second link... which is technically paywalled, but they haven't bothered closing the 'open in new Incognito or In-Private window' loophole so you can read it for free if you like. They both go into substantial detail.

'Ten of the last 11 recessions began under Republicans. [...] Meanwhile, historically, Democratic administrations have overseen recoveries from those Republican lows. During the seven decades before Trump, real GDP growth averaged just over 2.5 percent under Republicans and a little more than 4.3 percent under Democrats.

[...] Republicans have also historically presided over huge expansions in the U.S. deficit, while Democrats, since Bill Clinton's administration, have overseen dramatic deficit reduction. [...] Reagan more than doubled the deficit[...] H.W. Bush nearly doubled that [...] Clinton ended his administration with a $128.2 billion surplus.

[...] The U.S. lost jobs under Trump and created relatively few under George W. Bush[...] Of the 14 presidents since World War II, seven were Democrats and seven were Republican. Of the seven with the highest job creation rates, six were Democrats. Of the seven with the lowest job creation rates, six were Republicans. What about now? Biden and the current Democratic Congress have created more jobs than the past three Republican administrations combined [...]

[...] Trump's mismanagement of the COVID crisis, his support for Putin, and Republicans' protection of Big Oil (and big businesses) actually helped create the conditions that have driven prices up. Further, Republicans unanimously opposed every single measure by the Biden administration to reduce prices and help those hit by inflation'

Republicans Are Bad for the Economy. Here's Why.

Though that's at the federal rather than the state or local level.

This post has been edited by Azath Vitr (D'ivers: 04 November 2022 - 07:56 PM

#13336 User is offline   Lady Bliss 

• Shameless Minister of Silly Catwalks of the Abyssmal Army
  • Group: The Abyssmal Army

Posted 04 November 2022 - 08:43 PM

I should have read the links! LOL lazy me…
"If you prick us do we not bleed? If you tickle us do we not laugh? If you poison us do we not die? And if you wrong us shall we not revenge?" - Shylock

#13337 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 05 November 2022 - 10:55 AM

There's a reason the perception is so skewed and it's that mass media [increasingly owned by a few sociopath billionaires and hivemind conglomerates, not to mention being stuck on 'both sides' stupid, but even historically overly credulous with right wing economic framing] hate an improving economy because 1) it doesn't move units like grievance does, and 2) healthy economies require strong government oversight, robust social programs, and wealth redistribution, the exact opposite of the massive profits for a few, austerity for everyone else system they desire. Not to get too soapboxy about it, but their brains are absolutely pickled.

#13338 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 05 November 2022 - 11:04 AM

Not helpful for your purposes, I know!

#13339 User is offline   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant

Posted 08 November 2022 - 10:00 PM

'Why Is America Always Divided 50–50?

Despite wrenching economic and political changes in the country, Democrats and Republicans keep finding themselves nearly tied in election after election.

[...] Democrats controlled the House from 1955 to 1995[...] Now the chamber is about to change hands for the fourth time in 15 years. The difference in the number of congressional seats held by the majority and minority parties has collapsed too. Between 1959 and 1995, the House majority was never less than 50 seats and repeatedly hit the triple digits. Today, the Democrats have only eight more seats [...] The popular-vote margin in American presidential elections has diminished too. In five of the past six contests, fewer than five percentage points separated the winner from the loser.

[...] Our coin-toss elections are not the result of having two parties competing for an engaged and persuadable electorate. They are at least in part a product of our political stasis and extreme polarization. [...] both parties are “insecure” in victory and hyper-engaged in a “perpetual campaign” against the other side.

There is no simple explanation for why this is happening. I had at first figured it had something to do with game theory. You have two parties. Each has deep resources and strong incentives to win over and thus reduce the number of middle-of-the road voters. The parties zig, they zag, they revise their arguments. They both get better at winning elections, beefing up their use of voter data, opposition research, on-the-ground organizing, and gerrymandering. In time, each gets good enough that the contests start to come out 50–50.

That hypothesis might be partly true, [...] But he pointed to historical factors that, in his view, offer the strongest explanation for today’s political environment. During the Great Depression, the Democrats became a nearly unshakable majority party in Congress, buttressed by the votes of white southerners and New Deal supporters across the country. But in the 1960s, white southerners began migrating to the Republican side in a revolt against national Democrats, who backed civil-rights legislation and redistributive policies that aided Black Americans. As the political saliency of the New Deal faded, the parties became more competitive and their voter bases more equal. “The thing that made us so unusual for so long was the South,” [...] “We had a one-party state within the country.” Its disappearance paved the way for our 50–50 electorate and pendulum-swinging government.

[...] Republicans became a “full-fledged, politically viable national alternative to the Democrats” only in 1980, when Ronald Reagan won the presidency on a low-tax, small-government platform. The same year, Republicans took the Senate for the first time in a quarter century. And in 1994, they broke the Democratic grip on the House.

A related explanation for today’s instability has to do with the growing polarization of the two parties. [...] Voters changed too: They quit splitting their tickets and became more reliable supporters of one side or the other. They “sorted” along political lines, becoming more likely to live around people who vote like them, as well as becoming more ardent ideologically, with fewer cross-cutting social ties[...] They also became more averse to partisans of the other side. That polarization has contributed to our close elections: When almost all voters have already made up their mind, there just aren’t that many people for politicians to persuade. [...]

The competitiveness of American elections also seems to have made the government less responsive to the wants and needs of voters—not more so, as you might normally expect. “In the current context, you have party control that hinges on small margins of the vote share in a small number of races,” [...]

[...] Being banished to electoral purgatory every now and then encourages political groups to reform and change. It encourages them to think about their long-term value proposition, not just how to gain a few thousand more votes [...] It forces them to adapt to the needs of average voters. Our political climate has diminished that constructive pressure'

Why Do American Elections Always End Up 50–50?

Tempting to think in terms of entropy or near-equilibrium... adversarial networks etc. Article doesn't mention how common this in other democracies though.

Possibly related:

'[...] possibility: the public is simply a thermostat. When government spending and activism increases, the public says “too hot” and demands less. When spending and activism decreases, the public says “too cold” demands more. [...] 1995 paper [...]:

We observe that the signals the public sends to policymakers, in the form of preferences for “more” or “less” spending, react to changes in policy…[T]here is negative feedback of spending decisions on the public’s relative preferences, whereby the public adjusts its preferences for more spending downward when appropriations increase, and vice versa.

[...] in [...] The Macro Polity, refer to “the governing system as a thermostat.” Erikson et al. show that the public’s “mood” — a general measure of the policies it desires — moves in the opposite way as policy:

The correlation between policy innovation in one administration and before-after mood change is a strongly negative -0.76…The more liberal the policy stream, the more conservative is the change in mood. Notably, the most liberal presidency (Johnson’s full term ending in 1968) is associated with the greatest public reaction in the conservative direction. Similarly, the conservative presidencies of Reagan and Eisenhower moved the public in a liberal direction.

Brooks is wrong to assume that the public’s reaction to Democratic policies indicates a enduring ideological disjuncture or a failure of public relations. The public may not be more conservative. It may simply be saying “too hot.” [...]

Current trends would not show that Democrats have been unusually unsuccessful in moving public opinion but that policy ideology in public opinion typically moves against the direction of policymaking. The public requests liberal policies, gets them, and then moves in the other direction; they then get more conservative policies and move against them.

[...] The ebb and flow is the more important dynamic.'

Monkey Cage (themonkeycage.org)

Until the near-equilibrium is replaced with the sheerer equilibrium of authoritarianism?...

#13340 User is offline   Nicodimas 

• Soletaken
  • https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=XbGs_qK2PQA

Posted 09 November 2022 - 02:43 AM

Rooting for the dems , they usually show up late for sure ..so will wait to see tomorrow

Attached File(s)

-If it's ka it'll come like a wind, and your plans will stand before it no more than a barn before a cyclone

Share this topic:

• 706 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users