• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

The USA Politics Thread

#11581 User is offline   Maark Abbott 

• Part Time Catgirl
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Interests:Redacted

Posted 04 November 2020 - 08:51 AM

Someone else was saying let's bust out the Irish passports for family earlier. Guess you guys are trying to hunker down at O'Reilley's or something?
Debut novel 'Incarnate' now available on Kindle

#11582 User is offline   TheRetiredBridgeburner 

• House Knight

Posted 04 November 2020 - 09:18 AM

View PostTerez, on 04 November 2020 - 08:30 AM, said:

View PostTheRetiredBridgeburner, on 04 November 2020 - 08:03 AM, said:

Also, just watched a clip of Bernie Sanders predicting exactly this to the letter. It's almost like this is the sort of behaviour a rational person would expect of a spoiled child elected to office.

I've seen that video going around and wondering if people just really don't know that Bernie was just saying the same thing literally every other seasoned election commentator has been saying aside from Trump nuts? One of the weirdest things on my Twitter tonight.

I think outside the US we're mostly reduced to what's on Twitter - although, it doesn't surprise me every person with half a brain was predicting the same.
- Wyrd biđ ful aræd -

#11583 User is offline   Terez 

• High Analyst of TQB
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:WWQBD?
  • WoT Fangirl, Rank Traitor

Posted 04 November 2020 - 09:35 AM

View PostMacros, on 04 November 2020 - 08:48 AM, said:

I don't discord, not even sure what it is

I do Discord, but I did not realize that Malazan had one until now.

NYT as of this moment:

Biden 227—213 Trump

Uncalled states:

NV (6) - probably Biden
AZ (11) - Fox and AP have already called it for Biden
AK (3) - will go for Trump
GA (16) - nail-biter; remaining vote largely D but not overwhelmingly so
NC (15) - leaning Trump
WI (10) - very close
MI (16) - ditto
PA (20) - won't be counted and reported enough to call until later today at the earliest, but the signs look good for Biden

If Biden wins both NV and AZ, he can win without all 3 of the last 3 states which are the crucial tipping point states by the polling.

227+6+11=244 (NV+AZ)
244+10+16=270, done (NV+AZ+WI+MI)
244+10+20=274, done (NV+AZ+WI+PA)
244+16+10=270, done (NV+AZ+GA+WI)
244+16+20=280, done (NV+AZ+MI+PA)

Biden has a feasible path but this could easily still go (more) sideways.

The President (2012) said:

Please proceed, Governor.

Chris Christie (2016) said:

There it is.

Elizabeth Warren (2020) said:

And no, I’m not talking about Donald Trump. I’m talking about Mayor Bloomberg.

#11584 User is offline   Mezla PigDog 

• Malazan Yo Yo Champion 2009
  • Group: Mezla's Thought Police

Posted 04 November 2020 - 10:03 AM

This made me chuckle. In a very black bleak way. https://www.theguard...ell-happens-now

Edit to add - I'm not getting any work done here!

This post has been edited by Mezla PigDog: 04 November 2020 - 10:04 AM

Burn rubber =/= warp speed

#11585 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 04 November 2020 - 10:56 AM

It's so on the nose the chuckles are bleak indeed

#11586 User is offline   TheRetiredBridgeburner 

• House Knight

Posted 04 November 2020 - 11:02 AM

Ouch. Bleak indeed!
- Wyrd biđ ful aræd -

#11587 User is offline   Primateus 

• E Pluribus Anus
  • Interests:Stuff, lots of stuff!

Posted 04 November 2020 - 11:08 AM

Friend of mine wrote on Facebook that people might feel just a bit better if they admit that this is what America is and always has been.
Screw you all, and have a nice day!

#11588 User is offline   Terez 

• High Analyst of TQB

Posted 04 November 2020 - 11:12 AM

I've said the same thing about Never-Trumpers who have notions of taking their party back. This is what their party always was. All their noble posturing and they didn't change a thing. Not since Nixon has the party establishment turned against its own presidential candidate like we're seeing now. The biggest difference with Nixon is that Republicans still in office were willing to stand up to him. Now it's mostly just Republicans who have already left government, or the pundit class.

There it is.

#11589 User is offline   Puck 

• Mausetöter

Posted 04 November 2020 - 11:34 AM

View PostPrimateus, on 04 November 2020 - 11:08 AM, said:

Friend of mine wrote on Facebook that people might feel just a bit better if they admit that this is what America is and always has been.

I agree. Every time I read up on anything about America, this is the conclusion I come to. I wish I wasn't so emphatic in regards to the people this is going to affect even worse than it already has. I say fuck those who vote for Trump, I have zero regard left for them at this point.

Still, I need to work, not hang out in this thread, damn it!
Puck was not birthed, she was cleaved from a lava flow and shaped by a fierce god's hands. - [worry]
Ninja Puck, Ninja Puck, really doesn't give a fuck..? - [King Lear]

#11590 User is offline   Terez 

• High Analyst of TQB

Posted 04 November 2020 - 11:37 AM

View PostTheRetiredBridgeburner, on 04 November 2020 - 09:18 AM, said:

View PostTerez, on 04 November 2020 - 08:30 AM, said:

View PostTheRetiredBridgeburner, on 04 November 2020 - 08:03 AM, said:

Also, just watched a clip of Bernie Sanders predicting exactly this to the letter. It's almost like this is the sort of behaviour a rational person would expect of a spoiled child elected to office.

I've seen that video going around and wondering if people just really don't know that Bernie was just saying the same thing literally every other seasoned election commentator has been saying aside from Trump nuts? One of the weirdest things on my Twitter tonight.

I think outside the US we're mostly reduced to what's on Twitter - although, it doesn't surprise me every person with half a brain was predicting the same.

I missed this because we crossposted but for the record it's only weird for Americans, who would have to be pretty dialed out to not realize that Bernie wasn't saying anything groundbreaking in that video that's going around Twitter, but they're hailing him as some kind of prophet for it. (Bernie is fine and I voted for him in 2016. His fan club can be a bit weird tho.)

There it is.

#11591 User is offline   Primateus 

• E Pluribus Anus

Posted 04 November 2020 - 11:41 AM

You know how in the nineties and perhaps early 2000s, people were saying that the best way to really help Africa could well turn out to be doing nothing at all?

I have this gnawing and horrible feeling that maybe, just maybe, the Democrats would be better off letting Trump and his Trumpists burn it all to the ground, because his followers will not see reason before they themselves really start hurting.

I know this is horrible and simply not possible, because the people who will suffer in the meantime do not deserve it. But like I said, it's just a gnawing and horrible feeling.

#11592 User is offline   Cyphon 

• Cagey Bastard of TQB

Posted 04 November 2020 - 11:46 AM

View PostTsundoku, on 04 November 2020 - 08:47 AM, said:

We don't have a spare room any more but I'm sure we could manage something for you guys who want to emigrate if the worst happens.

I simply cannot believe how anyone in the USA who isn't white and rich could want to vote for this fucktard.
I just don't get so-called "Christians" voting for someone who pretty much stands for everything they are (supposed to be) opposed to.

I think we discussed this upstream but essentially its because they think he'll promote their rights/values/whatever more than the other guy regardless of his personal life. You look at the supreme Court pick which backs that up... probably because the machine backing him does largely promote those values so they get what they want.
Para todos todo, para nosotros nada.

MottI'd always pegged you as more of an Ublala

#11593 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 04 November 2020 - 12:08 PM

View PostPrimateus, on 04 November 2020 - 11:41 AM, said:

You know how in the nineties and perhaps early 2000s, people were saying that the best way to really help Africa could well turn out to be doing nothing at all?

I have this gnawing and horrible feeling that maybe, just maybe, the Democrats would be better off letting Trump and his Trumpists burn it all to the ground, because his followers will not see reason before they themselves really start hurting.

I know this is horrible and simply not possible, because the people who will suffer in the meantime do not deserve it. But like I said, it's just a gnawing and horrible feeling.

The problem with this idea is that it would kill the idea of the US as we understand it and not really affect the middle class before it's too late. Corruption of every branch of the government, coupled with an institutionalized distrust of any authority that doesn't parrot Trump/GOP talking points, persecution of whisteblowers and critics, selling off any profitable arm of the government to donors and psychophants, firing experts and professionals and replacing them with lobbyists and conspiracy nuts, seperating the US from global allies and ignoring future threats from Russia and China as long as it doesn't hurt the US.

By the time it starts to really hurt, the cancer will be terminal.

#11594 User is offline   Primateus 

• E Pluribus Anus

Posted 04 November 2020 - 12:25 PM

View PostAptorian, on 04 November 2020 - 12:08 PM, said:

The problem with this idea is that it would kill the idea of the US as we understand it and not really affect the middle class before it's too late. Corruption of every branch of the government, coupled with an institutionalized distrust of any authority that doesn't parrot Trump/GOP talking points, persecution of whisteblowers and critics, selling off any profitable arm of the government to donors and psychophants, firing experts and professionals and replacing them with lobbyists and conspiracy nuts, seperating the US from global allies and ignoring future threats from Russia and China as long as it doesn't hurt the US.

By the time it starts to really hurt, the cancer will be terminal.

Probably true, yet I cannot help but wonder...

#11595 User is offline   Cause 

• Elder God

Posted 04 November 2020 - 12:40 PM

How is the senate looking. If trump wins dems must at least con5rol 5he senate.

#11596 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 04 November 2020 - 12:42 PM

This. Trumpism is a cult. It bears all the hallmarks of one, and he the cult leader. You can deprogram like 30 people in a given cult given a number of years and a dedicated group to deprogram them.

You cannot do it in the millions of Americans.

I don't even think they will see it once they start "hurting". Cultists often don't. Over in NXIVM-land, for example, dear leader Keith Rainiere (a man who had women branded as sex slaves for him) has been sentenced to 120years in prison and those around him are going down hard in the courts...but both Allison Mack (Smallville) and Nikki Clyne (Battlestar Galactica) are so brainwashed that they are sticking by him while the threat of their own imprisonment hangs over them. They are literally hurting from him and can't see their way out.

Trump is going to hold sway over all these people long after he's out of office, and there is probably nothing that can be done. Those people are gone. You might be able to get singular individuals out by family deprogramming...but en masse? Not a chance.

People are literally dying from his garbage handling of COVID and his followers who suffer deaths/long term crap from it have other direct family members who still vote/voted for him...Death of a family member is not "hurting" them enough to turn them back to the light.

View PostCause, on 04 November 2020 - 12:40 PM, said:

How is the senate looking. If trump wins dems must at least con5rol 5he senate.

It's still a close thing. And not looking as favourable as it was yesterday, Jaime Harrison who was polling neck and neck with Graham lost in the double digits in the vote. It's not impossible, but it's looking unlikely at this point. Which yes, is shitty. Because not only are people facing the prospect of a further 4 years of Trump, but a further 4 years of a GOP-majority senate who will enable him.

I want to be less pessimistic, but I can't find it in me. Last night drained me of any hope.

The man literally gave a speech where he said to stop counting ballots in states he was ahead, and keep counting in the ones he was behind...and then said he'd take it to the SCOTUS to make it happen...to THUNDEROUS FUCKING APPLAUSE.

This post has been edited by QuickTidal: 04 November 2020 - 12:46 PM

"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#11597 User is offline   Garak 

• Emperor
  • Interests:40k, Star Wars, Babylon 5, WW2, A Song of Ice and Fire, the Drenai series, the Riftwar and all that followed it, D&D, Vikings, the Malazan Book of the Fallen. I think you get the gist of it.

Posted 04 November 2020 - 01:09 PM

To thunderous applause? Fucking really? What the fuck! Does he think he's Palpatine adressing the Senate or something? Holy fucking shit.
The meaning of life is BOOM!!!

#11598 User is offline   Slow Ben 

• Ranger

Posted 04 November 2020 - 01:34 PM

Feeling better than when I went to bed, although I don’t know why. We knew this was how it would go. Trump would possibly be ahead after initial votes, but once absentee, mail in , and pre votes were counted he’s pull ahead. Still could go either way though.
I've always been crazy but its kept me from going insane.

#11599 User is offline   Mentalist 

• Martyr of High House Mafia
  • Group: High House Mafia
  • Interests:Soccer, Chess, swimming, books, misc
  • Junior Mafia Mod

Posted 04 November 2020 - 01:44 PM

Honestly, I'm really hoping something other than PA flips for Biden. Cuz I have a feeling PA votes will become subject to SCOTUS shenanigans.
The problem with the gene pool is that there's no lifeguard
THE CONTESTtm WINNER--чемпіон самоконтролю

View PostJump Around, on 23 October 2011 - 11:04 AM, said:

And I want to state that Ment has out-weaseled me by far in this game.

#11600 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 04 November 2020 - 01:46 PM

View PostMentalist, on 04 November 2020 - 01:44 PM, said:

Honestly, I'm really hoping something other than PA flips for Biden. Cuz I have a feeling PA votes will become subject to SCOTUS shenanigans.

If Biden wins AZ (looks likely), NV (easily possible), MI and WI (he's doing decently) that's the ballgame.

He could lose PA, GA and NC and he'd still have 270.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

Share this topic:

• 706 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

7 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 7 guests, 0 anonymous users