Malazan Empire: The USA politics thread - - Malazan Empire

• 581 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

The USA politics thread - The other political idiocy - This is Democracy?

#11561 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 31 July 2020 - 08:33 AM

Mitch McConnell of all people has told Trump he can't do it. That makes me instantly suspicious that something else is at play...

BBC News - Republicans to Trump: You can't delay 2020 election
https://www.bbc.co.u...canada-53599363
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#11562 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How you doin?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 31 July 2020 - 08:45 AM

They're saying he can't do it but are they going to stop him?

#11563 User is offline   Vengeance 

• High Priest of Shinrei Love and Worship
  • Group: Administrators
  • very good...;)

Posted 31 July 2020 - 01:47 PM

View PostAptorian, on 31 July 2020 - 08:45 AM, said:

The election day is set by an act of congress and he can't use executive authority to change it. It is in the constitution that congress is the only one who can set the election day. There was an election during the Civil War. There can be an election during Covid. However if there was no election then Trump would have to leave office on the 21st of January and the Speaker of the house would be sworn in as Temp President.
How many fucking people do I have to hammer in order to get that across.
Hinter - Vengy - DIE. I trusted you you bastard!!!!!!!

Steven Erikson made drowning in alien cum possible - Obdigore

#11564 User is offline   Primateus 

• E Pluribus Anus
  • Interests:Stuff, lots of stuff!

Posted 31 July 2020 - 02:11 PM

View PostVengeance, on 31 July 2020 - 01:47 PM, said:

The election day is set by an act of congress and he can't use executive authority to change it. It is in the constitution that congress is the only one who can set the election day. There was an election during the Civil War. There can be an election during Covid. However if there was no election then Trump would have to leave office on the 21st of January and the Speaker of the house would be sworn in as Temp President.

Technically that would be correct, but I rather think that a delay of the presidential election would probably mean a congressional election delay as well. Which means Pelosi would be out as well. I saw a video that argued that if the election was delayed, then a likely outcome would be President Pat Leahy.
Screw you all, and have a nice day!

#11565 User is offline   Obdigore 

• ThunderBear
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 31 July 2020 - 02:27 PM

Just to be clear, the entire suggestion that the election should be delayed is a distraction from the worst economic quarter the US has ever experienced, and a distraction from the fact that this congress and administration are pretty heavily to blame for it.

Consumer confidence is at an all time low because of the terrible response to COVID, so people aren't spending money.

Get the Guillotine's out.
Monster Hunter World Iceborne: It's like hunting monsters, but on crack, but the monsters are also on crack.

#11566 User is offline   Vengeance 

• High Priest of Shinrei Love and Worship
  • Group: Administrators
  • very good...;)

Posted 31 July 2020 - 05:22 PM

View PostPrimateus, on 31 July 2020 - 02:11 PM, said:

View PostVengeance, on 31 July 2020 - 01:47 PM, said:

Technically that would be correct, but I rather think that a delay of the presidential election would probably mean a congressional election delay as well. Which means Pelosi would be out as well. I saw a video that argued that if the election was delayed, then a likely outcome would be President Pat Leahy.

Either way Trump and Pence would both be out as well as all of his Cabinet.
How many fucking people do I have to hammer in order to get that across.
Hinter - Vengy - DIE. I trusted you you bastard!!!!!!!

Steven Erikson made drowning in alien cum possible - Obdigore

#11567 User is offline   stone monkey 

• I'm the baddest man alive and I don't plan to die...
  • Group: Grumpy Old Sods

Posted 31 July 2020 - 06:07 PM

He gets to throw shade on the results of the election this way. If, closer to the time, Trump says "Don't go and vote, it's too dangerous" and then loses, he gets to say, however inaccurately, that he'd have won had his supporters showed up. And therefore he gets to not be a loser in his mind. Now that it appears that he might lose the election itself, and not simply the popular vote, then he has to have a strategy for calling its legitimacy into question. His efforts to cast aspersions against postal voting are another prong of that strategy. His comments about "busloads of illegal voters" in 2016 were basically the same thing. This is all about his ego.
If an opinion contrary to your own makes you angry, that is a sign that you are subconsciously aware of having no good reason for thinking as you do. If some one maintains that two and two are five, or that Iceland is on the equator, you feel pity rather than anger, unless you know so little of arithmetic or geography that his opinion shakes your own contrary conviction. Ö So whenever you find yourself getting angry about a difference of opinion, be on your guard; you will probably find, on examination, that your belief is going beyond what the evidence warrants. Bertrand Russell

#11568 User is offline   20 Days of Sheep 

• Master of the Deck
  • Drive by bye bye king

Posted 31 July 2020 - 07:39 PM

Biden says he will pick running mate next week. I canít wait to hear it Josephronnie.
Drive by bye bye king on my dumb horse

#11569 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• Make the Empire Great Again

Posted 31 July 2020 - 11:15 PM

I bet it will be a surprise to Joe as well. I'm seriously worried about his mental state and by association the Dems chances of getting rid of Trump and his vile band.
His choice of running mate is going to be more important than any other US election I can recall. He says he won't go a second term if he wins, but I doubt he could make it through a first term.

OK people - who are your preferred VP noms for Joe?
"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"Well well well ... if it ain't The Invisible C**t." - Billy Butcher, The Boys

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesnít work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#11570 User is offline   20 Days of Sheep 

• Master of the Deck
  • Drive by bye bye king

Posted 01 August 2020 - 12:02 AM

Tulsi Gabbard lol
Drive by bye bye king on my dumb horse

#11571 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How you doin?

Posted 01 August 2020 - 06:16 AM

The expectation is that he has to pick a black woman to fulfil various democrat minority quotas. Recently there was footage of Biden having Kamela Harris name singled out on some note (probably planned to gauge public response), so she's likely the front runner.

Edit: If you speculate that Biden is a one term president, then long term planning would have the democrats lining up their next presidential candidate as VP to get them the necessary clout. And it has to be somebody who fits their modern values. So it's likely either Harris or Elizabeth Warren.

This post has been edited by Aptorian: 01 August 2020 - 06:20 AM

#11572 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

Posted 01 August 2020 - 07:23 AM

I honestly don't think America is civilised or advanced enough as a society to cope with having someone who is both female and not white as president. Look how they tore down everything they claimed to stand for just because a black man was successful...
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#11573 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• Make the Empire Great Again

Posted 01 August 2020 - 09:40 AM

I'd like to see Warren because I think she's great. But she has age against her, and she couldn't even win her own state in the Primary.
While I'm not too sure about the diversity thing Apt mentioned, I've also heard it floated about elsewhere so won't discount it. Can't really discount anything in these unprecedented times.

KH strikes me as being tough AF, but I'm not too sure of her politics and sadly I think Simmo might be right. I hope we're wrong if she gets the nod though.

This post has been edited by Tsundoku: 01 August 2020 - 09:42 AM

"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"Well well well ... if it ain't The Invisible C**t." - Billy Butcher, The Boys

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesnít work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#11574 User is offline   Terez 

• High Analyst of TQB
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:WWQBD?
  • WoT Fangirl, Rank Traitor

Posted 01 August 2020 - 09:46 AM

View PostTsundoku, on 01 August 2020 - 09:40 AM, said:

she couldn't even win her own state in the Primary.

I wish people would stop making a big deal about this. By the time it got to Massachusetts, people were already worried about "splitting the vote" and that they might get stuck with Bernie. Doesn't mean they don't think Warren would do a good job; they just went with Biden as the "safe" option. (PS: I should probably mention that the reverse is also true, maybe even moreso. Many people who love Warren as a senator just thought Bernie had a better chance of getting the nomination, so they voted for him.)

There are no actual quotas in the Democratic Party. A lot of black voters don't even like Kamala Harris and it's mostly white people who are pushing her as the woman of color option. Other black women who are being considered include Stacey Abrams (who got cheated in the latest Georgia gubernatorial election), Val Demings (a Florida rep and former cop), and Karen Bass (a California rep).

This post has been edited by Terez: 01 August 2020 - 10:18 AM

The President (2012) said:

Please proceed, Governor.

Chris Christie (2016) said:

There it is.

Elizabeth Warren (2020) said:

And no, Iím not talking about Donald Trump. Iím talking about Mayor Bloomberg.

#11575 User is online   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Emperor

Posted 01 August 2020 - 04:31 PM

'Postal Service may close offices, cut service ahead of election

Manchin, union leader demand explanation from new postmaster, who seeks "operational pivot"

The U.S. Postal Service is considering closing post offices across the country, sparking concerns ahead of an anticipated surge of mail-in ballots in the 2020 elections, U.S. Sen Joe Manchin and a union leader said Wednesday.

[...] The possible cutbacks come as DeJoy, a major donor to President Donald Trump who took control of the agency last month, moves to eliminate overtime for hundreds of thousands of postal workers, potentially causing a delay in mail deliveries.'

https://www.marketwa...QQOg3kdhZYJ9C_8

This post has been edited by Azath Vitr (D'ivers: 01 August 2020 - 04:46 PM

#11576 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• God

Posted 01 August 2020 - 04:44 PM

Oh deary me. Trump all butthurt about what went down in TikTok to ruin his Tulsa white nationalist, neo nazi rally. So he angry now, folds arms in pouty consternation and is going to ban it. The BTS Army / Kpoppers are going to respond I'm guessing.

Also, funny side note: On the hourly news run down on NPR News, the person called it "tick tack."

This post has been edited by Malankazooie: 01 August 2020 - 04:44 PM

#11577 User is online   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Emperor

Posted 01 August 2020 - 05:09 PM

'Trump [...] suggested the election should be postponed and insisted that it be called on election night, "not days, months, or even years later!"

But while Trump can't move the election, he's doing everything he can to discredit its results and make it as hard as possible to vote by mail, even as his rhetoric has made mail voting a much more popular option for Democrats than Republicans.

That's created a toxic situation where Democrats are increasingly likely to vote by mail in the face of the coronavirus pandemic, while Trump and the GOP dig in against reforms that could help states' and counties' rickety and underfunded voting systems avoid disaster on Election Day. And it means in a close election, local failures in mail voting and U.S. Postal Service snafus could easily trigger a national crisis.

It will take days or weeks for a number of states to count up their ballots and determine who's won in close contests. That's normal — states that regularly vote by mail in large numbers, like Arizona and California, always take weeks to count their ballots. But there are just more states doing it this year, which gives Trump the chance to lie that the election is being rigged against him.'

https://www.vice.com...-day-into-chaos

This post has been edited by Azath Vitr (D'ivers: 01 August 2020 - 05:09 PM

#11578 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How you doin?

Posted 01 August 2020 - 05:26 PM

While, the Trump adminstration mostly do it for all the wrong reasons, I applaud all attempts at thumbing your nose at China. We're in a cold war with them few acknowledge. Anything that monitors your activity and shares information coming from China should be avoided like the plague.

#11579 User is offline   ArchieVist 

• Lieutenant

Posted 01 August 2020 - 09:46 PM

Tiste Simeon said:

I honestly don't think America is civilised or advanced enough as a society to cope with having someone who is both female and not white as president. Look how they tore down everything they claimed to stand for just because a black man was successful...

I'm just an uncivilized and unadvanced American so I'm going to need some help here. How many female non-white prime ministers has Great Britain had? Or Canada? Or Europe?

Give me a break.

Barack Obama was a popular two term black president despite the GOP media machine. Bill Clinton got similar treatment (without the racial element) back when the machine wasn't quite so fine tuned. And people forget that Trump received three million FEWER votes than Hillary Clinton. If the US didn't have an antiquated electoral college system, it would have had its first female president in 2016.

#11580 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

Posted 02 August 2020 - 06:05 AM

Oh yeah Britain isn't much better and your know my thoughts on our system is you had read any of my posts in the relevant threads, but I can see it happening in a bunch of other countries without too many issues. The US though? White supremacy and misogyny are entrenched in a system designed to keep the same people in power.
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

Share this topic:

• 581 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

9 User(s) are reading this topic
2 members, 7 guests, 0 anonymous users