• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

The metal thread For everything about the worlds heaviest music

#181 User is offline   Esa1996 

• Fist
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 29 August 2015 - 10:11 PM

View PostMaark, on 28 August 2015 - 02:21 PM, said:

Have some Agonist, fetid hu-maaaaaaaans.

Well, I certainly did not expect that! :p Arch Enemy was thus far the only band with growls performed by a woman I knew about. You learn something new every day.

This post has been edited by Esa1996: 29 August 2015 - 10:13 PM

#182 User is offline   Andorion 

• God
  • Interests:All things Malazan, sundry sci-fi and fantasy, history, Iron Maiden

Posted 30 August 2015 - 01:01 AM

It was quite surreal watching both types of vocals coming from the same woman. Enjoyed it immensely though!

#183 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon

Posted 31 August 2015 - 01:50 PM

I just realised I haven't mentioned Persefone in this thread yet. And that is wrong. Their album, Spiritual Migration is pretty much my ultimate favourite at the moment. It truly is mind blowing.

That's just 1 song (full album in the above link. I love them so much. Also if you're looking for concept albums, their album Core is about Persephone in the underworld. Finally, if like me you are interested in "collecting" bands from all over, these guys are from Andorra. :p

Edited to fix link.

This post has been edited by Tiste Simeon: 31 August 2015 - 01:51 PM

A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#184 User is offline   Maark Abbott 

• Part Time Catgirl
  • Interests:Redacted

Posted 01 September 2015 - 06:49 AM

n

View PostAndorion, on 30 August 2015 - 01:01 AM, said:

It was quite surreal watching both types of vocals coming from the same woman. Enjoyed it immensely though!

The live transition between styles was impressive. And she's only little too! (patronising the short since 1987, me).

The new Soilwork is predictably awesome. You listen to this and just wonder 'where did In Flames go so wrong?'.
Debut novel 'Incarnate' now available on Kindle

#185 User is offline   LinearPhilosopher 

• House Knight
  • Interests:Everything.

Posted 03 September 2015 - 12:40 PM

So my brother sent this my way

Jazz meets metal. Not bad

This post has been edited by LinearPhilosopher: 03 September 2015 - 12:40 PM

#186 User is offline   TheRetiredBridgeburner 

• House Knight

Posted 03 September 2015 - 01:05 PM

View PostTiste Simeon, on 13 August 2015 - 10:35 AM, said:

Enslaved are one of the few Black Metal bands I truly love. I dunno what it is I'm just not hugely into that scene (though I can't say I'm a fan of the hail Satan cap a lot of them come out with so that's definitely a factor...)

Seconded, Emperor, Immortal and Keep of Kalessin (some of their back catalogue) is about as far as I go. It's not strictly my thing as I'm a power metal girl at heart. Although I do rather like a lot of the female fronted melodic stuff mentioned further up thread!
- Wyrd biđ ful aræd -

#187 User is offline   Gorefest 

• Witness

Posted 03 September 2015 - 04:05 PM

If you can stomach Immortal, you'll be fine with Enslaved as well. Their more recent stuff is a little less BM and more progressive metal. An album like 'Vertebrae' should be palatable.
Yesterday, upon the stair, I saw a man who wasn't there. He wasn't there again today. Oh, how I wish he'd go away.

#188 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

Posted 03 September 2015 - 10:35 PM

Here are 3 songs to get you started into Enslaved:

1) The Watcher - ferocious, quick and brutal. Great intro to the epicness to come. Also, try listening to the screamy intro and not think of the Wraiths going "SHIIIIIRE... BAGGINSSSSS..."

2) Neogenesis. I first heard this song when reading an epic space opera (The Neutronium Alchemist by Peter F Hamilton iirc) so to me it has always had an ethereal feel. I think the album it is from, ISA, is one of their more "proggy" so it kind of feels a bit spaced out anyway. With a relatively slow, non-heavy beginning and build up to a furious climax, and long instrumental outro, this song shows a great range as well as just being pure brilliance.

3) Roots of the Mountain. Now I don't know what I can say to truly convey how epic and mind blowing this song is. I mean I have had it on repeat for hour long journeys (I mean that meant I only heard it 5 and a bit times but still...) it is quite simply one of the greatest songs I know. The atmosphere, musicianship and fist-pump moments are inspired works of genius. From the insane start through the soaring choruses, guttural verses and instrumental breaks, this song has everything. Unless you don't like heavy or screaming as it has a lot of that... The album it comes from, RITTIR, is my favourite of theres and this song encompasses everything I love about them.

I'm on mobile, it's late and I just finished a long shift so I can't be bothered to link the songs. Enjoy & report back!
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#189 User is offline   Gorefest 

• Witness

Posted 03 September 2015 - 11:07 PM

Enslaved is to metal what Erikson is to fantasy: they both paint sheer mindboggling epic landscapes, one with proze and the other with music.
Yesterday, upon the stair, I saw a man who wasn't there. He wasn't there again today. Oh, how I wish he'd go away.

#190 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

Posted 04 September 2015 - 06:20 AM

View PostGorefest, on 03 September 2015 - 11:07 PM, said:

Enslaved is to metal what Erikson is to fantasy: they both paint sheer mindboggling epic landscapes, one with proze and the other with music.

woah...
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#191 User is offline   EmperorMagus 

• Scarecrow of Low House PEN
  • Group: Tehol's Blissful Chickens

Posted 04 September 2015 - 07:17 AM

I used to be a die-hard Marduk/Immortal/Mayhem/Emperor fan. I have no idea how I've never heard of Enslaved. Neogenesis is everything one needs in a black metal song. It kinda makes me want to sit in a cave and listen to it until I turn to dust.
Dulce et decorum est
Pro patria mori
#sarcasm

#192 User is offline   LinearPhilosopher 

• House Knight

Posted 04 September 2015 - 11:21 AM

not bad

#193 User is offline   Andorion 

• God

Posted 06 September 2015 - 04:37 PM

Was listening to Iron maidens new song "Tears of a Clown". Its apparently about Robin WIlliams. Suddenly found myself tearing up.

#194 User is offline   acesn8s 

• Soletaken
  • Interests:Reading, video games, role playing games, Fountain Pens, journals...

Posted 06 September 2015 - 08:07 PM

View PostAndorion, on 06 September 2015 - 04:37 PM, said:

Was listening to Iron maidens new song "Tears of a Clown". Its apparently about Robin WIlliams. Suddenly found myself tearing up.

I gave the Book of Souls a good listen this afternoon while mowing the grass. It's a nice solid album by Maiden.

I read an interview where the band confirmed Tears of a Clown is about Robin.
“The others followed, and found themselves in a small, stuffy basement, which would have been damp, smelly, close, and dark, were it not, in fact, well-lit, which prevented it from being dark.”
― Steven Brust, The Phoenix Guards

#195 User is offline   Andorion 

• God

Posted 07 September 2015 - 02:03 AM

View Postacesn8s, on 06 September 2015 - 08:07 PM, said:

View PostAndorion, on 06 September 2015 - 04:37 PM, said:

I gave the Book of Souls a good listen this afternoon while mowing the grass. It's a nice solid album by Maiden.

I read an interview where the band confirmed Tears of a Clown is about Robin.

The album combined a lot of things which I love about Maiden. They have long epic numbers, they have lyrical and topical diversity....many people will probably grumble that there is no song that can compare with Number of the Beast, Run to the Hills etc. but I think Maiden have tackled their age really well and in fact used it to try new things. Tears of a Clown would have been unimaginable back in the mid-80s. The last song - Empire of the Clouds have to listen that again. I think there was a lot of Piano in there and that is something very rare for Maiden.

And the most WTF thing about the album is that you realise its entire huge length was recorded by Dickinson when he has cancerous tumours in his throat.

#196 User is offline   acesn8s 

• Soletaken
  • Interests:Reading, video games, role playing games, Fountain Pens, journals...

Posted 07 September 2015 - 06:22 PM

I agree with you. I think the album is something that will get better through multiple listens. It's pretty complex, in a good way.
“The others followed, and found themselves in a small, stuffy basement, which would have been damp, smelly, close, and dark, were it not, in fact, well-lit, which prevented it from being dark.”

#197 User is offline   ArtificialAscendant 

• Recruit
  • Interests:Science Fiction, Fantasy, and Horror books, movies, T.V. shows and video games... many other types of literature, many forms of interesting rock and roll, particularly my favorite musicians Devin Townsend, Josh Homme, and Al Jourgenson... all the strange things to be experienced while living in the most interesting epoch in human history thus far
  • I am enthusiastic about being in this group that is devoted to the greatest work of fiction that mankind has ever produced. The Malazan series has redefined my entire perception of what the artform of creative writing is capable of.

Posted 13 September 2015 - 03:36 AM

I find no need to understand the language to enjoy the hell outta Finntroll

View PostJLV, on 21 October 2011 - 04:17 PM, said:

Hmm. I must remember back to when I used to listen to metal a lot.

I love Blind Guardian, of course.
Pain of Salvation, although they are very Avante Garde now.
Symphony X
Hammerfall
Dragonforce, I remember thinking they were good.
Ayreon
Iron Maiden
Iron Saviour
Manowar
Avenged Sevenfold (Their second album was fantastic, fuck the haters).
Black Sabbath
Dream Theater, if you can classify them as metal.
Finntroll, a bit. Hard to listen to a band when you can't understand the language.
Iced Earth
Kamelot
A bit of Metallica
Saxon

I think that's everything. Any comments?

After she showed me her Tiste, I was ready to Jaghut off. But then she let me Forkrul her Assail!

#198 User is offline   LinearPhilosopher 

• House Knight

Posted 13 September 2015 - 04:02 AM

I didn't like final frontier, the one before that, was decent. I was big into reincarnation of Benjamin breeg and out of the shadows.

ARe you telling me the latest maiden album is good?

#199 User is offline   LinearPhilosopher 

• House Knight

Posted 13 September 2015 - 06:39 PM

Listening to the newest maiden album now.

Its actually a really good listen. How the hell is this possible?

The sound is a callback to their glory days but theres still an evolution, a change that occured in it. It's like a combination of their earlier powerslave/number of the beast sound with the new sound from a matter of life and death.

THey also have that trademark method of writing solos that go places and don't just repeat themselves that climb up and down. Its part of the reason they are such great live bands, their solos were almost made to be modified in a live performance as there so much within it. Dickinsons vocals are still on point (not as much as in his youth but still good to listen). Also quite melodic at times.

#200 User is offline   acesn8s 

• Soletaken

Posted 14 September 2015 - 12:26 PM

View PostLinearPhilosopher, on 13 September 2015 - 04:02 AM, said:

I didn't like final frontier, the one before that, was decent. I was big into reincarnation of Benjamin breeg and out of the shadows.

ARe you telling me the latest maiden album is good?

My friend and I were both listening to The Final Frontier last week. I really like Final Frontier, maybe even better than Book of Souls.

Share this topic:

• 39 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users