• Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

The metal thread For everything about the worlds heaviest music

#201 User is offline   Esa1996 

• Fist
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 14 September 2015 - 12:56 PM

Here is a band no one's ever heard of that I really like, and, as this is a book forum, every single song they have done thus far is about the Dragonlance Chronicles:

This post has been edited by Esa1996: 14 September 2015 - 12:58 PM

#202 User is offline   TheRetiredBridgeburner 

• House Knight

Posted 14 September 2015 - 04:38 PM

Cheers for the Enslaved recommendations folks! Not too shabby at all! Posted Image

Also yes, new Maiden is excellent! Really looking forward to next year's live tour!
- Wyrd biđ ful aræd -

#203 User is offline   Khazduk 

• Sergeant
  • Interests:Instant coffee

Posted 14 September 2015 - 04:44 PM

Still reeling a bit from Book of Souls here... not finished processing it by a long shot, except the obivous: Up the godd*mn Irons! :harhar:

#204 User is offline   Andorion 

• God
  • Interests:All things Malazan, sundry sci-fi and fantasy, history, Iron Maiden

Posted 14 September 2015 - 04:48 PM

View PostEsa1996, on 14 September 2015 - 12:56 PM, said:

Here is a band no one's ever heard of that I really like, and, as this is a book forum, every single song they have done thus far is about the Dragonlance Chronicles:

I actually really liked that, though i had to turn the volume up a bit more to really get into it.

#205 User is offline   Andorion 

• God

Posted 14 September 2015 - 04:50 PM

I think Maidens Book of Souls is a great example how an iconic band can age succesfully keeping both the music quality and the popularity at high levels.

#206 User is offline   Maark Abbott 

• Part Time Catgirl
  • Interests:Redacted

Posted 15 September 2015 - 07:34 AM

I'm the One Guy who doesn't like Maiden.

Anyway, new Black Dahlia Murder and TesseracT drop on Friday. Get some.
Debut novel 'Incarnate' now available on Kindle

#207 User is offline   Andorion 

• God

Posted 15 September 2015 - 04:47 PM

View PostMaark, on 15 September 2015 - 07:34 AM, said:

Anyway, new Black Dahlia Murder and TesseracT drop on Friday. Get some.

I believe Slayer has new material out?

#208 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 15 September 2015 - 05:51 PM

View PostMaark, on 15 September 2015 - 07:34 AM, said:

No sir, we are a team!

Also, got tickets to the Amaranthe show in November. They kick ass live.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#209 User is offline   Gorefest 

• Witness

Posted 15 September 2015 - 06:08 PM

Not a Maiden fan either. Slayer hasnt produced anything decent since God Hates Us All, sadly.
Yesterday, upon the stair, I saw a man who wasn't there. He wasn't there again today. Oh, how I wish he'd go away.

#210 User is offline   LinearPhilosopher 

• House Knight
  • Interests:Everything.

Posted 15 September 2015 - 06:23 PM

Never thought i'd ever meet a metal head who doesn't like maiden, let alone 3.Not that i mind, im not big on harsh vocals myself so that precludes me from enjoying a lot of metal.

#211 User is offline   Gorefest 

• Witness

Posted 15 September 2015 - 06:52 PM

I appreciate them for what they do, but speed metal and power metal just aren't my thing and Maiden are sort of the godfathers of that sound.
Yesterday, upon the stair, I saw a man who wasn't there. He wasn't there again today. Oh, how I wish he'd go away.

#212 User is offline   HiddenOne 

• Mortal Sword
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 15 September 2015 - 08:33 PM

Not a huge Maiden fan either, but they are forefathers, so I have to tip the hat

Agree with Gorefest about the Slayer, never thought I'd be less that erect when a new album dropped, but there it is
HiddenOne. You son of a bitch. You slimy, skulking, low-posting scumbag. You knew it would come to this. Roundabout, maybe. Tortuous, certainly. But here we are, you and me again. I started the train on you so many many hours ago, and now I'm going to finish it. Die HO. Die. This is for last time, and this is for this game too. This is for all the people who died to your backstabbing, treacherous, "I sure don't know what's going on around here" filthy lying, deceitful ways. You son of a bitch. Whatever happens, this is justice. For me, this is justice. Vote HiddenOne Finally, I am at peace.

#213 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon

Posted 16 September 2015 - 03:07 AM

I think there tends to be a fairly large & vocal group of metal fans that are stuck on classics mode - the thought of anyone liking anything different to the agreed bands is weird to them. "You don't like Maiden/Slayer/Pantera/Metallica/Sabbath etc?? You're no true metal fan!"

Meh. To me the point of metal is that there is diversity, there is no "norm" or "standard" to conform to. I quite like Maiden. Not enough that I go nuts over them. I know a number of metal fans who don't like them and that's fine. :(
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#214 User is offline   Serenity 

• Saki!!!!!

Posted 16 September 2015 - 09:24 AM

Loving the new Maiden album. It's the first one of theirs I've had on repeat play probably since Seventh Son Posted Image

ETA: Also getting into the new Ghost album, Meliora.

http://www.youtube....h?v=CzzkemzfdfU

This post has been edited by Serenity: 16 September 2015 - 10:17 AM

#215 User is offline   acesn8s 

• Soletaken
  • Interests:Reading, video games, role playing games, Fountain Pens, journals...

Posted 16 September 2015 - 12:15 PM

View PostTiste Simeon, on 16 September 2015 - 03:07 AM, said:

I think there tends to be a fairly large & vocal group of metal fans that are stuck on classics mode - the thought of anyone liking anything different to the agreed bands is weird to them. "You don't like Maiden/Slayer/Pantera/Metallica/Sabbath etc?? You're no true metal fan!"

Meh. To me the point of metal is that there is diversity, there is no "norm" or "standard" to conform to. I quite like Maiden. Not enough that I go nuts over them. I know a number of metal fans who don't like them and that's fine. :(

Spotify released a report that metal fans are the "most loyal" of all genre fans. I suppose that means we're more resistant to change?

Link to report

I don't like distorted vocal past Rob Zombie/Static-X levels. I think it has a lot to do with being born in the early 70s and growing up with 70s and 80s metal. It's my comfort zone.
“The others followed, and found themselves in a small, stuffy basement, which would have been damp, smelly, close, and dark, were it not, in fact, well-lit, which prevented it from being dark.”
― Steven Brust, The Phoenix Guards

#216 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon

Posted 16 September 2015 - 02:01 PM

View Postacesn8s, on 16 September 2015 - 12:15 PM, said:

Spotify released a report that metal fans are the "most loyal" of all genre fans. I suppose that means we're more resistant to change?

Link to report

I don't like distorted vocal past Rob Zombie/Static-X levels. I think it has a lot to do with being born in the early 70s and growing up with 70s and 80s metal. It's my comfort zone.

Hey man I wasn't trying to get down on anyone elses preferences. If you're into all that, great! I just get a bit sick of people like "There's no good metal any more! Only Judas Priest and earlier is true metal!" I like a lot of that stuff but I love tons of the new stuff. There are some really exciting bands around at the moment. :)
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#217 User is offline   Serenity 

• Saki!!!!!

Posted 16 September 2015 - 04:30 PM

I may have bought the latest Enslaved album after reading this thread . . .

#218 User is offline   Andorion 

• God

Posted 16 September 2015 - 06:08 PM

Metal comes in all shapes and sizes. I like the old school heavy stuff and I also like the new Symphonic stuff. Tastes differ and thats what makes the music world a richer place.

On the subject of old school metal the band I miss the most is Metallica. Its been ages since they released anything. The other day I was walking back at night after a long day, I had Master of Puppets on the headphones and by the time I had reached home that song had re-energised me.

#219 User is offline   acesn8s 

• Soletaken
  • Interests:Reading, video games, role playing games, Fountain Pens, journals...

Posted 17 September 2015 - 01:06 AM

View PostTiste Simeon, on 16 September 2015 - 02:01 PM, said:

View Postacesn8s, on 16 September 2015 - 12:15 PM, said:

Link to report

Hey man I wasn't trying to get down on anyone elses preferences. If you're into all that, great! I just get a bit sick of people like "There's no good metal any more! Only Judas Priest and earlier is true metal!" I like a lot of that stuff but I love tons of the new stuff. There are some really exciting bands around at the moment. :)

I didn't even take it that way. :p

I agree with you and thought the Spotify article supported your observation. Metal fans are very particular with their likes and seem to resist change. I remember all the whining about bands selling out when they changed their sound (Metallica, Van Halen [close enough], etc). Heck, even The Sword takes a beating when an album comes out that doesn't sound as heavy as Gods of the Earth.

I was stuck in a metal rut until a few years when I discovered Stoner/Desert Metal. I like the more commercially appealing versions, I like The Sword and Orchid, and am tickled that there are a ton of bands out there to discover. As far as I'm concerned, there's room for everyone.
“The others followed, and found themselves in a small, stuffy basement, which would have been damp, smelly, close, and dark, were it not, in fact, well-lit, which prevented it from being dark.”
― Steven Brust, The Phoenix Guards

#220 User is offline   Andorion 

• God

Posted 19 September 2015 - 01:28 PM

Sharing this on our class FB page in college got me a bit of a reputation,

This post has been edited by Andorion: 19 September 2015 - 01:29 PM

Share this topic:

• 39 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users