• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

The metal thread For everything about the worlds heaviest music

#441 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 01 May 2019 - 07:42 PM

worry, on 01 May 2019 - 06:09 PM, said:

Please, all, do me the favor of never not referring to this subgenre as simply "BM".

Bit afraid to ask why...
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#442 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 01 May 2019 - 07:51 PM

I remember when I was in a car accident at 16 and I got a concussion and broke my pelvis, I was laying in the hospital bed and the nurse asked me if I had a 'BM' this morning yet. I didn't know what she meant and so answered "no", and she said "well if you haven't by the end of the day, we'll have to give you something to ensure you do." And I was all like, "what the hell?!??!" Then she figured out I was a clueless 16 yr old and put it in laymen's terms and then I was all like "oh yeah, I dominated one this morning when I woke up, felt great!"

#443 User is offline   Serenity 

• Saki!!!!!

Posted 02 May 2019 - 11:37 AM

Malankazooie, on 01 May 2019 - 07:51 PM, said:

I remember when I was in a car accident at 16 and I got a concussion and broke my pelvis, I was laying in the hospital bed and the nurse asked me if I had a 'BM' this morning yet. I didn't know what she meant and so answered "no", and she said "well if you haven't by the end of the day, we'll have to give you something to ensure you do." And I was all like, "what the hell?!??!" Then she figured out I was a clueless 16 yr old and put it in laymen's terms and then I was all like "oh yeah, I dominated one this morning when I woke up, felt great!"

:apt2: Posted Image

#444 User is offline   Serenity 

• Saki!!!!!

Posted 02 May 2019 - 11:40 AM

Talking of Swiss bands, I'm absolutely loving the new Eluveitie album, Ategnatos. I was so disappointed when Anna, Ivo and Merlin left, but now I have two awesome bands instead of just one Posted Image

#445 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 03 May 2019 - 08:16 AM

Summer is almost here. Time to get into swimsuit shape.

#446 User is offline   haiduk 

• Recruit

Posted 06 May 2019 - 03:37 PM

#447 User is offline   LinearPhilosopher 

• House Knight
  • Interests:Everything.

Posted 07 May 2019 - 02:26 AM

Maark Abbott, on 29 April 2019 - 07:40 AM, said:

LinearPhilosopher, on 29 April 2019 - 02:16 AM, said:

Maark Abbott, on 02 April 2019 - 07:52 AM, said:

New Devin Townsend

:soppanicfeic:

I was incredibly hyped.

Then proceeded to be dissapointed.

I find this incredibly confusing - I'd argue it's one of his strongest albums to date. Whilst yes, it's disjointed and a very involved listen, it's also Devin engaging Maximum Overdevin and just cutting loose and doing what he wants.

The demo disc was underwhelming, sure, but Empath itself is probably front of my list for top albums 2019.

I don't remember much of the tracks, but they weren't noteworthy. The few ones on youtube are good, but not exactly amazing (bass playing gorilla was cool). A lot of the songs felt too... soft? idk just the whole thing kinda went over me.

In other news, my teacher reccomended i give Megadeath, Panterra and ... I think its children of bodom.

Listening to a bit of pantera earlier today. Im a fan of the vocalist all right.

#448 User is offline   Gorefest 

• Witness

Posted 07 May 2019 - 09:30 AM

Weird selection of recommendations. Megadeth is not really my thing. Pantera is old school, although in my opinion only 'Cowboys from Hell' (Cemetary Gates) and 'Vulgar Display of Power' are worth it, forget about the later stuff. CoB is a completely different vein, melodic black/thrash. if you like virtuoso guitar work, they're definitely a good recommend.
Yesterday, upon the stair, I saw a man who wasn't there. He wasn't there again today. Oh, how I wish he'd go away.

#449 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

Posted 07 May 2019 - 09:37 AM

Children of Bodom's finest moment was their cover of Oops I Did it Again by Britney Spears. Otherwise they're a bit meh. As for Megadeth and Pantera, they're important if you're interested in the history of the scene as they've both played important parts (plus the murder of Dimebag Darrell was quite a historic moment) but they're not really my thing. Couple of good tracks but there's a lot more interesting stuff out there.
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#450 User is offline   LinearPhilosopher 

• House Knight

Posted 08 May 2019 - 12:16 AM

Tiste Simeon, on 07 May 2019 - 09:37 AM, said:

Children of Bodom's finest moment was their cover of Oops I Did it Again by Britney Spears. Otherwise they're a bit meh. As for Megadeth and Pantera, they're important if you're interested in the history of the scene as they've both played important parts (plus the murder of Dimebag Darrell was quite a historic moment) but they're not really my thing. Couple of good tracks but there's a lot more interesting stuff out there.

The recommendations were done with a view towards their vocalists and what they accomplished. As i'm slowly learning how to do harsh vocals myself, its time i get educated as unlike classical, it's not like there's an established cannon of repertoire.

#451 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 08 May 2019 - 12:37 AM

Ah neat. Which of the Holy Trinity of non-clean metal vocal styles is your path: Cookie Monster, Mumm-ra, or Starscream?
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#452 User is offline   Gorefest 

• Witness

Posted 08 May 2019 - 11:02 AM

LinearPhilosopher, on 08 May 2019 - 12:16 AM, said:

The recommendations were done with a view towards their vocalists and what they accomplished. As i'm slowly learning how to do harsh vocals myself, its time i get educated as unlike classical, it's not like there's an established cannon of repertoire.

What sort of vocal range are you looking for? Is it grunt + clean singing? Is it just rough vocals, or grunt+scream, or deep growl? Because those three recommends are all quite different in their vocal approach. As a rule, always do it from the belly, not the throat. Because the latter will kill off any singing aspirations before you even get properly started. My personal recommendation would be to listen to Michael Akerfeldt (Opeth, Bloodbath). He has both a fantastic clean voice and a very deep grunt.
Yesterday, upon the stair, I saw a man who wasn't there. He wasn't there again today. Oh, how I wish he'd go away.

#453 User is offline   LinearPhilosopher 

• House Knight

Posted 09 May 2019 - 12:46 PM

Gorefest, on 08 May 2019 - 11:02 AM, said:

LinearPhilosopher, on 08 May 2019 - 12:16 AM, said:

What sort of vocal range are you looking for? Is it grunt + clean singing? Is it just rough vocals, or grunt+scream, or deep growl? Because those three recommends are all quite different in their vocal approach. As a rule, always do it from the belly, not the throat. Because the latter will kill off any singing aspirations before you even get properly started. My personal recommendation would be to listen to Michael Akerfeldt (Opeth, Bloodbath). He has both a fantastic clean voice and a very deep grunt.

So for context, i've been doing classical singning for 5 years (working towards opera) so my voice is well supported and i've already got decent technique. The big eureka moment happened a few months ago where I could finally get my false chords to activate voluntarily. So far this has been the path i've chosen based off ease of replication.

While I would like to do more fry type vocals, thats still some time away given how long it's taking me to learn a completely different signing style (and just getting the false chords to activate occasionally took time). For now the goal is sort of, scout the field, see what different people have done and go from there. In general i used to be a fan of more clean vocal styles (opeth, maiden, nightwish, etc...)but now that I decide hey i wanna learn harsh vocals, i gotta expand my horizons.

This post has been edited by LinearPhilosopher: 09 May 2019 - 12:50 PM

#454 User is offline   Zuzu Bolin 

• Corporal

Posted 09 May 2019 - 12:57 PM

New Sunn0 ))) sounds decent. Like the vocals on track one.

#455 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

Posted 09 May 2019 - 04:00 PM

LP listen to the singer from Psycroptic and let me know what you think. His voice made me feel a bit queasy as it sounded like he was going to vomit a few times haha
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#456 User is offline   John II 

• The Black King
  • Interests:Ruling with an iron fist, showing no mercy, evil plans to take over the world, and other fun stuff.

Posted 10 May 2019 - 06:18 AM

Haha, I learned how to do harsh vocals because I had a cloth ear and I couldn't be bothered training it...
As you mentioned Megadeth, I am obligated to say that Dave Mustaine is awesome. If you don't believe me, just ask him. Also, Megadeth > Metallica > Slayer. However, Master of Puppets > every other thrash album. If you want to start out in thrash, MoP is the one. If you don't like that, you won't like thrash.
Opeth! Still Life is absolutely amazing. Akerfeldt is currently one of my favourite musicians... he's like a more ADHD version of Yngwie Malmsteen (I say that in the nicest way, as I am also blessed/cursed with ADHD [and more than a touch of arrogance]... ooh, shiny...).
Speaking of vocalists, is James LaBrie a bit of a turn-off for anyone else? Some moments I quite like him; he nails the powerful parts. However, in anything moderately soft he just annoys me. It's almost like "Shut the fuck up James, I want to hear the real musicans." I know that he is quite popular, so I was wondering if anyone else felt this way.
Richard Henshall (of Haken) has announced an album. Rejoice!

#457 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

Posted 10 May 2019 - 07:02 AM

Opeth haven't been good since Ghost Reveries and Akerfeldt is far too up himself to realise that... They *were* awesome and I have seen them a couple of times which was always a good time.

Dream Theater, similar story. They have become extremely boring since about Train of Thought, which in fairness is a flipping outstanding album. I quite like LaBrie's voice and when he's on form live he is great but I do get why you'd say that.

Richard Henshall is the most beautiful man in Metal and Haken are just about my favourite band so yes I'm hyped about his solo album. Seen them live a few times and met him once, decent bloke.

Not that into thrash but I was really unimpressed with Slayer when I saw them. Anthrax were a bit better but tbh it's just not my scene though I'll agree that Megadeth have some tasty riffs...
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#458 User is offline   TheRetiredBridgeburner 

• House Knight

Posted 10 May 2019 - 08:11 AM

Tiste Simeon, on 10 May 2019 - 07:02 AM, said:

Opeth haven't been good since Ghost Reveries and Akerfeldt is far too up himself to realise that... They *were* awesome and I have seen them a couple of times which was always a good time.

Dream Theater, similar story. They have become extremely boring since about Train of Thought, which in fairness is a flipping outstanding album. I quite like LaBrie's voice and when he's on form live he is great but I do get why you'd say that.

This.

If you like Still Life I'd say give Blackwater Park, Damnation and Deliverance a go too.

Try Images and Words with Dream Theater - I think that's LaBrie doing some of his best work, but he's never been a favourite of mine.

This post has been edited by TheRetiredBridgeburner: 10 May 2019 - 08:12 AM

- Wyrd bið ful aræd -

#459 User is offline   Gorefest 

• Witness

Posted 10 May 2019 - 08:35 AM

John II, on 10 May 2019 - 06:18 AM, said:

Megadeth > Metallica > Slayer.

Seriously? For me it would be the exact other way around. And Mustaine to me sounds like a strangled cat. Oh well, different tastesPosted Image

Opeth! Still Life is absolutely amazing. Akerfeldt is currently one of my favourite musicians...

Hands down one of the best vocal ranges in all of metal.

#460 User is offline   Gorefest 

• Witness

Posted 10 May 2019 - 08:37 AM

TheRetiredBridgeburner, on 10 May 2019 - 08:11 AM, said:

If you like Still Life I'd say give Blackwater Park, Damnation and Deliverance a go too.

Blackwater Park and Deliverance are my two favourites. As Tiste said, it all went downhill with Ghost Reveries and I've lost interest with the band completely now. Akerfeldt's work on Bloodbath was awesome though, some of the best deep well grunts in the business.

Share this topic:

• 39 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

3 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users